Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation technique or Guide (master)

edited March 2011 in Meditation
I’m looking the forum since few months and I've decided to dive in with a question. When you start meditation, have you choose your type of meditation (Zen , vipassana, etc.) or you choose a master or a guide before?

Comments

• Yes.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    You could look around at what is available in your area check them out that way.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Si on peut aussi faire des recherches sur l'internet, on peut trouver assez d'information génerale au sujet de la méditation preferèe. Moi, j'ai pas aucun Maître, mais je pratique la meditation comme même.

Bonne chance.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Si on peut aussi faire des recherches sur l'internet, on peut trouver assez d'information génerale au sujet de la méditation preferèe. Moi, j'ai pas aucun Maître, mais je pratique la meditation comme même.

Bonne chance.
    haha :)

pretty good :)

Les conseils que les autres ont donnés sont bon.

Sinon si vous voulez un professeur en ligne, http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/discussion, ici vous pourrez trouver un professeur (Daniel Ingram) qui dédit beaucoup de son temps a donner des conseils en ligne. Une approche tres scientifique et structurée. Il a aussi un livre (gratuit bien sur) qui est la référence pour beaucoup de gens qui pratique la méditation sérieusement.

http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/ ici vous trouverez Kenneth Folk, qui lui aussi dédit beaucoup de son temps en ligne et lui aussi a un forum remplit de yogis qui ont beaucoup d'expérience.

Les deux offrent une approche tres moderne sans surperflus.

ps: I'm plugging Daniel Ingram and Kenneth Folk again, not spamming so don't burn me too much (looking at you fivebells). Got to give the advices I believe in :)
  • I haven't heard of Folk. Looks interesting.
  • You'll be much better off with a teacher than without. Generally, there is more difference between teachers within a school than there is between schools, so don't worry too much about the school unless you're already set on one for some reason. Just try all the Buddhist groups in your area and see which one seems to suit you best.
  • Please apologize for being late.
    Many thank for your suggestions
    *Merci aussi à ceux qui ont écrit en français
    After, 1 year of vipassana (Goenka alone ) I tried zen temple this weekend and it was very nice but i have to drop vipassana and do zazen... I will see.
    Thanks again everybody
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    This exact question was the subject of one of the "Your meditation technique" threads. We now have 3 threads on more or less the same subject.

You don't need to choose a school, tradition, or technique to get started. The main thing is to learn the deep-breathing technique, and focus on the breath. If your mind wanders, bring it back to the breath. As Federica said, there's plenty of information (and probably videos) on the internet, or your local bookstore may have something. The main thing is breathing slowly and deeply, into the belly (your belly should rise and fall, not your lungs; breathing with the lungs is too shallow and won't help your meditation). Good luck.
  • Dakini: Thanks for your advice. I practice annapana few hours a day since 1 year . The purpose of my question was mainly: is it better with or without a guide (guru, master, etc.)?