Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

so I'm lost..

Seeker567Seeker567 Explorer
edited April 2011 in Faith & Religion
Why do the Christians/Jews worship a god that got angry and resorted to violence all the time, when a Indian dude that lived 500 years before Christ, was peaceful and non judgmental, as well as in complete control of his anger?

Comments

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    Because people are of different opinion and set in their ways. We have no right to question that.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Are you trying to break free from something?

Consider that our projections of "God" often represent our best guess at what motivates nature and the natural environment of our realities. Do you understand or have room in your mind to examine the environment that brought about the Abrahamic views? If so, great, its a ripe and wonderful story of interaction between harsh conditions and coping skills to overcome personal suffering and cultivate humility.

If your question is really an expression of judgement for Christians/Jews, well... consider working with something more productive, like a meditation practice or learning the 4nt, 8fp etc.
  • And why do citizens of the USA deem their republic to be 'under' this same 'jealous God'? Can it be that war-hungry nations posit war-hungry gods?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I hope this doesn't devolve into a "my religion is better than your religion" thread.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    And why do citizens of the USA deem their republic to be 'under' this same 'jealous God'? Can it be that war-hungry nations posit war-hungry gods?
    The God that politicians seem to invoke isn't the Christian God. Oh no, not at all. Rather, it is a metaphorical God which we, as a nation, invoke in hopes of having its blessings. Its a personal God, in a sense. We trust Him because we created Him. He is our father and we are His father.

Nah, who am I kidding. We're all morons and he In God We Trust thing seems a bit unconstitutional to me.
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    Why do the Christians/Jews worship a god that got angry and resorted to violence all the time, when a Indian dude that lived 500 years before Christ, was peaceful and non judgmental, as well as in complete control of his anger?
    Because peace isn't really attractive to people who love war, and use that angry god to justify their war-loving mentality.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't consider the US to be war-hungry... perhaps socially fearful that isolationism, as practiced early in our history, would lead to situations like those that arrived during wwi and wwii. Its an odd pendulum that has been swinging since before we were an established nation.

Our isolationism probably caused an elevation in suffering and loss of life and property to epic status. Hopefully, with time, the general US population can stop the habituation and act more wisely. Do you ever wonder, if our foreign policy had been closer in the 30s to what it is today, what the 1940s would have looked like instead? What the latter part of the 20th century might have looked like without George Kennan's containment policies?

Realize, also, that if we had not abandoned our desire to avoid war, your language and culture would be quite different from what it is today. Perhaps German or Russian, and under a totalitarian regime. We make stupid mistakes, get entangled in conflicts, but at least we are trying to put our muscles to use for humankind. Some delusion, sure, some wisdom, sure... effort. Not always right effort, but we're evolving.
  • The other religions eg Hinduism and Chinese Gods are worshipped
    as if they were human ie if you give them nice things, they
    hopefully will bless you.
    'God did not create man, Man created God'
  • War is stupid. So what if we spoke Russian?
    History is full of instances where people accepted the dictate
    of the conquerors in order to survive.
    War is stupid. So what if we spoke Russian?
    And how well are Chinese Buddhists doing under their current circumstances?

• And why do citizens of the USA deem their republic to be 'under' this same 'jealous God'? Can it be that war-hungry nations posit war-hungry gods?
    I don't think this is the place to make sweeping generalizations about other peoples' religions.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2011
    My teacher once said to me, "For the first four or five years (of Zen practice), belief and hope are necessary. After that, they are not so necessary."

If this is true, why is it true? My understanding is that experience trumps belief, whether inside or outside Buddhism. Belief by its very nature implies uncertainty and doubt. It creates answers that sound reasonable or reassuring, but the basis relies on a past that can never be grasped. No one can 'believe' or 'hope' in the present ... and this is the teaching of experience.

But for those who have no practice or fail to investigate the beliefs they hold, it is like being stuck in the mud -- fervently believing what is not yet assured in experience. And there are entire institutions that continue to inspire their followers to do little more than believe or hope ... or, put another way, to live a life of doubt.

In the world of belief and hope there are gods of hope and gods of anger and goddesses of serenity and goddesses of jealousy. The stories are wondrous and horrifying by turns ... but that doesn't change the fact that they are stories as yet unverified by the customers of one religion or another.

The only usefulness of any of this is that it teaches us to use our beliefs and hopes as they become useful but to be wary of relying on them.

Not sure if any of this is relevant or not. Sorry.

PS. The best -- if not necessarily the most polite -- riff on religion I ever saw came from George Carlin:

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    That's a great question. The Russian state we butted up against was a military industrial complex with some of the worst social conditions in the history of humankind and events like the purges. Do you really think that a path without conflict, say the cold war, would have been the most socially viable? Lead into the most favorable conditions?

I wonder if you have studied much history. War is terrible, one of the worst things we can do. Not THE worst, but one of the worst. Sometimes the worst thing we can do is nothing.
  • Why do the Christians/Jews worship a god that got angry and resorted to violence all the time, when a Indian dude that lived 500 years before Christ, was peaceful and non judgmental, as well as in complete control of his anger?
    This doesn't completely answer your question, but sometimes the environment of the country that thereligion started in can influence the beliefs of the religion. My sociology teacher (he also taught world history), pointed out a correlation between environment and religion when it came to the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. The Egyptians were living in a fertile land, and lived in relative peace because of their unique location (this is before the Romans went all Roman on their @$$'s). So the Egyptians imagined a fertile afterlife, where they could take all their worldly belongings and live eternally (as long as they had lived a moral life, and passed judgment from their gods). (So early Egyptians were an indulged and positive bunch of people).

Now in contrast, the Greeks were always warring with others, defending themselves, or falling victim to environmental disasters, droughts, volcanoes, etc. Their view of the gods was that they were fickle and at times cruel. Their gods were jealous, immature and had to be appeased... or else catastrophe! The Greeks also had a pretty grim view of the afterlife. They were going to a gray world guarded by an unlucky god and a three-headed guard dog, and it didn't matter if you lived a moral life. There was no happiness or escape unless some hero half-god decided to pay a heroic visit, or if they had done something really spectacular that the gods liked. Then they might get an upgrade. (Early Greeks were a bit pessimistic and gloomy neh?)

Perhaps the early Jews/Muslims had an angry and jealous god because it was reflective of their world view in those times. Things were bloody, and there were many fights over territory and beliefs. They also suffered from environment strains, famines etc. Their god was strict, and quick to mete out punishment. He had some rules and if you didn't obey... then you deserved your lot in life.(This view could also be influenced by the strict patriarchal family systems they had). Their god also didn't want to you talkin' to other god's on the playground. (So early jews/muslims had a fearful view of the world which was a scary place if you were disobedient and didn't listen to dad).

Now, that all changed with the New Testament. All of a sudden a philosopher who is shaking up authority comes around preaching that god is loving, just and forgiving. That we should all be nice to each other too. So Jesus appeared and suddenly God is not so angry anymore. There is less fear and more love, and Christians pop up.

I see Buddhism as a similar movement. Siddhartha was walking around, philosophizing, and preaching love, truth and peace, shaking up tradition and telling everyone to obey their own authority. (The point is, both Jesus and Buddha had movements that occurred under a dominant and prevalent religion. They shook things up, and from that came modern various sects of Buddhism, and modern various sects of Christianity).
  • Goodness I just thought of something. Look up the beliefs of the Mayan's and the Aztecs. What did they have in common, how were they different? What was going on in their environment that might have influenced their view of life and their gods?
    The atmosphere of religions change when disastrous things occur. I'm sure we have members from the UK who could explain how the bubonic plague impacted religious views of the time. (sorry UK members I slept through your history classes because it was really early in the morning and there were no mention of dragons). I do know that Lutherism started when Martin Luther nailed an essay to a church door listing all the faults of the Catholic church after he witnessed priests selling prayers for loved ones in hell. The priests were saying "Can't you hear the cries of your loved one's in hell? I can pray for their release for just 20 quid." Martin Luther was like "Wahhh! That's a lie! The bible doesn't mention any get out of jail free passes.. oh wait... commoners don't read the bible! I gotta spread the word!"
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Yes, I like that, Malachy.
    We create the Gods we need.
    In times of war God is a warrior (who is always on our side). In times of peace God is love.

And Buddha is made of the same stuff.
    For politicians Buddha is a conservative or a revolutionary (depending on political preference).
    For philosophers Buddha is an intellectual; a thinker about the nature of the universe and of the nature of mind.
    For emotional people Buddha stands for kindness and compassion.
    In the mind of stupid people (like me) Buddha emphasized not-knowing.

Tell me what Buddha is, and I’ll tell you what you are.

• Tell me what Buddha is, and I’ll tell you what you are.

Wow, that sums it up, don't it. For every-kind hearted Christian I've met, I've thought "You're interpretation of your beliefs is reflective of your personal values, because you are a kind and loving person." My uncle is a very god-fearing Catholic. He often expresses that he is scared for me because he doesn't want me to go to hell. But his life has been very tumultuous and violent. He grew up in some terrible conditions, and he has battled many inner demons, so his view of the world is that "it's a scary place if I don't straighten up". Naturally his view of god is a creator that is strict, and who will punish you if you go astray.

• I think that most of the bible, especially the new testament is a peaceful book. Now if someone takes that and distorts thats another story. I think people who take the bible as allegory usually have a clear and well sense of the world and are generally good people. It seems like people who take it literally always end up doing harmful things or just end up being very annoying.

Either way, the reason I think Christians cause so much havoc is because there are tons of them. The more people who are part of it, the bigger the percentage of crazies.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    And why do citizens of the USA deem their republic to be 'under' this same 'jealous God'? Can it be that war-hungry nations posit war-hungry gods?
    Nah, who am I kidding. We're all morons and he In God We Trust thing seems a bit unconstitutional to me.
    I agree about the constitutionality thing.
    The US sure seems to've become war-hungry in the last decade or two... An economic history of the US shows that war has been good for the economy; war industry for WWII helped get the country out of the Depression, I remember reading somewhere, then the Korean War, Vietnam War...war creates jobs. Boeing just started hiring like crazy because they got a huge Defense Dept. contract for the Mid-East wars...Seattle residents are happy. What's good for Boeing is good for Seattle (I used to live there), the thinking goes. "Oh, joy! A war contract! The economy will finally recover from the recession!" *sighhh* :shake:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Seeker, I'm told that for Christians, the New Testament is the main document. Jesus was peaceful and non-judgmental, too. I don't know what they make of the Old Testament, I think it's regarded more as a history and mythology of the Hebrews. In the New Testament, it's said that God isn't into the wrathful thing, he changes his tone. But I'm not an expert. (Where is SimonthePilgrim when you need him?)
  • Im no expert but the world of the old testament was brutal, eye for an eye. Then God sent Jesus to save mankind. He died for our sins and by honoring him (following his example) he will save you in the final judgment. In a sense, he showed ppl what it means to be a good person.

and yea as far as tempramant and understanding I think the Jesus model is similar to the Buddha
  • Because people are of different opinion and set in their ways. We have no right to question that.
    we have the right to question actions made based on such opinions.
    like the inquisition, and the "holy wars".
  • @Vincenzi "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"- Monty Python
    (sorry... it's my knee-jerk response to the word inquisition...)
  • As much as I hate wars, there will always be wars.
    That is a fact.
    What is your personal response to war?
    In the 2nd world war many people fled to the jungles to hide.
    Are you prepared to fight to death?
    Most people are not.
    That is why you have 'surrender'.
    In whatever situation, you still have to make a personal
    choice. You can choose to fight or surrender.
    You can choose to live or die.
    You can choose to speak German, Chinese or English.
    What do you choose?
  • @hermitwin

how does your post relate to the OP?
  • Seeker, I'm told that for Christians, the New Testament is the main document. Jesus was peaceful and non-judgmental, too. I don't know what they make of the Old Testament, I think it's regarded more as a history and mythology of the Hebrews. In the New Testament, it's said that God isn't into the wrathful thing, he changes his tone. But I'm not an expert. (Where is SimonthePilgrim when you need him?)
    Here I am, dear heart, having completed my Sunday reflection which was centred on Paul's thing aboiut "faith, hope and love" and how the greatest (and, to my mind, the only one that survives) is love. As, @genkaku, says, at first (and, in my case, still) the practice is based in hope and faith - just like learning to play an instrument: we hope to improve and have faith that the bloody thing can be mastered. In the end, we no longer need faith or hope because we are "riding the ox". What we are left with is the "pearl of great price", the gold panned from the grit of life: love.

But, to return to our muttons, I read the Tanakh (the "Old Testament") as a process, a journey. First we have tribal deities which amalgamate, in a patriarchal, nomadic society, into a single 'national God' (like the one in the American oath or the English "God save the Queen"). In the Moses story, this tribal deity morphs into a single god, Yhwh, which slowly or swiftly acquires the status of only God and acquires a capital letter. At the same time in the story, the people of this new nation, the Israelites, get scared of this mono-God which appears in fire, smoke and thunder. They ask it not to appear again and Yhwh agrees that there will be no more 'theophanies' - a rather spiteful passage, to my mind. Thereafter, Yhwh only appears by speaking to individuals like Samuel. God is in the process of withdrawing presence into the Ark of the Covenant. By the time we get to the late books of the Tanakh, Yhwh has almost completely disappeared, not even putting in a token appearance in, say, the Book of Ruth.

By the time we get to Second Temple Judaism (around the turn of the Common Era), the process is almost complete. At the destruction of Solomon's Temple and the exile, Ezekiel had a vision of Yhwh leaving the Temple. There is no vision of a return.

The Essene and Jesus message takes the process to its extreme of individualism.

The Jesus message was then taken up by theologians and the state with the consequences we know. The texts were redacted and some were outlawed, although the Gospel of Thomas, for example, continued to be used in the Eastern Churches.

My own view is that the great mistake against which Jesus warns and which 'Christianity' has made is to confuse 'faith' and 'belief'. There are many, many beliefs but, to my mind, only one faith, arising out of personal experience as a result, most often, of continued practice, which can be Buddhist, Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Parsee, whatever fits.

• Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    I believe an honest study and evaluation of both the Muslim and the Christian history of forced conversions, will help answer your question. As you will find out from numerous historical accounts, fear, murder and terrorism can be great motivators.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Simon, my question was more in relation to the OP's question, "Why do Christians worship a wrathful god". My question is: DO they worship a wrathful god? The wrath was all in the Old Testament, wasn't it? Wasn't God more warm-and-fuzzy in the New Testament, or does he even appear at all? What kind of God do Christians worship these days? (Besides Jesus.) You say Yhwh disappears eventually in the Old Testament. That still doesn't clarify for me whether Seeker's assumption that Christians worship a wrathful god is true or not, that's what I'm trying to get at.

I've never heard that the Eastern Churches (I assume you mean Orthodox) include the Gospel of Thomas in their New Testament. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of Russky friends on that.
  • @Dakini,

Do Christians believe in a wrathful god? I think it all depends, depends on family, culture and personal history. It also depends, I believe, on geography and geology. This has been mentioned before: geography has as much an influence on the belief structure as anything else. I am not surprised that peoples from 'hard' landscapes follow a 'hard' deity. Looking beyond Christianity, it is worth noticing the atmosphere of Norse mythology compared with, say, Greek.

I suppose many Christians do worship a god who gets angry, even though, when questioned, they would say that their god is 'beyond emotion'.This has more to do with their own psychopathology than with Jesus' message: if we call the deity "Father" and our father was abusive, what then?

BTW, when I speak of the Eastern Christian churches, I do not mean the Greek or Russian Orthodox. I mean the far more ancient churches of the East, which still exist in places like Syria or (as far as has been allowed by the invaders) Iraq and which never fell under the rule of Rome/Constantinople.
  • Simon, my question was more in relation to the OP's question, "Why do Christians worship a wrathful god". My question is: DO they worship a wrathful god? /blockquote>

Read "Sinners in the Hands of a Wrathful God' Jonathan Edwards
    He was a Christian, an important early American thinker, who knew how to work the "fear ' angle. Many Christians today do not stray far from his thinking.

By the way, I am really impressed with the posts here. Thank you all.

• Simon, my question was more in relation to the OP's question, "Why do Christians worship a wrathful god". My question is: DO they worship a wrathful god?
    Read "Sinners in the Hands of a Wrathful God' Jonathan Edwards
    He was a Christian, an important early American thinker, who knew how to work the "fear ' angle. Many Christians today do not stray far from his thinking.

By the way, I am really impressed with the posts here. Thank you all.

I was always struck by the verse "Perfect love casteth our fear". Whenever I come across teachers who try to instill their lessons, be they religious or academic or social, through fear, my first reaction is to question the lesson they are forcing on us. Yes, I was afraid of the disapproving sniff with which my college tutor would greet my attempt at an essay but I knew that it was followed by a reasoned and intelligent appraisal, open to discussion, and which led to positive improvement.

This is precisely the sort of teacher I meet in both Jesus and Gotama. Through them I get a glimpse of Buddha Nature and Christ Nature. Beyond that? Ah! That's a whole new kettle of herrings - many of them red.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Many of the Christians I talk to (Methodist, Protestant) relate God as a conscious force of boundless love, and the formulating principle of the universe. I don't really have any acquaintances who are of the "the earth was created 5000 years ago" variety, and only a few who think in terms of "god-fearing."

I'd bet most are moderate, fitting a typical bell curve, with extreme views simply being the most vocal, rather than representing the largest population.
  • Many of the Christians I talk to (Methodist, Protestant) relate God as a conscious force of boundless love, and the formulating principle of the universe.
    I'd bet most are moderate, fitting a typical bell curve, with extreme views simply being the most vocal, rather than representing the largest population.
    I would tend to agree. My impression is that modern Christianity (compared to the Christianity of the Puritan era and the Colonial period) envisions a loving God. No doubt there are sects that are still into the fire-and-brimstone image, but I think they're relatively rare. And look at many of the African-American churches, where joy is the emphasis. Where these loving images of God came from is another question. Possibly since Jesus preached love, the image of his Father shifted in the popular mind to be in concordance with Jesus?

• It is no surprise to me that the 20th century saw the rise of the struggles for rights and a shift in Christian theology. When we begin to believe in the unique value of each individual, in a society where each is accorded a voice, if only every now and again at the ballot box, it becomes much harder to hold to tribal deities, even if we continue to observe what Templeton Prize winner Martin Rees calls "tribal customs". As he has said:
    “I grew up in the traditions of the Anglican Church and those are ‘the customs of my tribe.’ I’m privileged to be embedded in its wonderful aesthetic and musical traditions and I want to do all I can to preserve and strengthen them.”
  • So, Simon, do you think that the switch from a wrathful God to a loving God had more to do with a cultural shift in the West, rather than perhaps a change in emphasis to the New Testament and a loving Jesus?
    I believe an honest study and evaluation of both the Muslim and the Christian history of forced conversions, will help answer your question. As you will find out from numerous historical accounts, fear, murder and terrorism can be great motivators.
    But, history is history. And, with time, religious thinking evolves.

In recent years I have gone to far more Buddhist temples in Thailand than I have Christian churches in America, but I have attended both. I hadn't been in a Catholic Church in well over 25 years, but when I recently went a couple of times it was like I was in a significantly different place. And yet, you're trying to take Christianity back to the Salem Witchcraft Days and beyond. The Methodist Church that I have attended a couple of times recently is a very different atmosphere than the one I attended as a child.

And, I think you have a rather purified view of Buddhism as practiced today. In Theravada Thailand, for example, slavery and corvee labor was abolished by King Chulalongkorn -- but not until 1905, even though four Buddhist kings had ruled before him...and that's just in the current dynasty. And, most of the modern sexual slavery of adults and children in Southeast Asian Buddhist nations that takes place today is controlled by people who profess to be Buddhist.

Thankfully, most of the responses I see in this thread are a little more balanced than your view.
  • So, Simon, do you think that the switch from a wrathful God to a loving God had more to do with a cultural shift in the West, rather than perhaps a change in emphasis to the New Testament and a loving Jesus?
    I think that all religious views, just like music, art or, even, scientific paradigms, evolve along with the cultural context, like the proverbial chicken and her egg. I can find links between the changes in culture and, for example, Biblical criticism in the very first Enlightenment writings by Spinoza. These led to Jefferson's 'seculsr' redaction of the New Testament later. The same mindset led to the Higher Criticism and Modernism and, later still, to Robinson's Honest To God. Alongside these developments we have improvements in the spread of rights to more and more people, the elaboration of archaeology, the Theory of Evolution - do I need to continue.

I would add that, at the basis of both the judgmental, exclusivist and the non-judgmental, inclusive Christianities is a belief that there is 'Something' (Yhwh, Allah, etc.) that cares about each individual. That, more than the question of a Creator, may be the stumbling-block between modern Abrahamic and Buddhist beliefs.

• Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    "In recent years I have gone to far more Buddhist temples in Thailand than I have Christian churches in America, but I have attended both."

If visiting temples and churches is what you think makes you more spiritual, I'm happy for you, but it still doesn't change the facts.

"And yet, you're trying to take Christianity back to the Salem Witchcraft Days and beyond."

I'm not "TRYING" to do anything,again, just stating the facts.

"And, I think you have a rather purified view of Buddhism as practiced today."

There is good and bad in everyone.

"Thankfully, most of the responses I see in this thread are a little more balanced than your view."

My opinion, however you might judge it, is my opinion, and every bit as valid as yours, sorry.

Namaste
  • its is of my own opinion that, the people who wrote the bible wanted to control the general public through fear. therefore they created a A God fearing image. this people did not speak for god. they just knew how fear works. i recently realized how fear works at its deepest subconscious level. so it is now clear as water what their intends were. i don't think those people have very bad intention they were using fear to keep the peaceful and organized society. like in the cold war now where we use the atomic bomb to keep the peace between each country. the bomb it self is just a weapon but the fear is what keeps us from destroying each other. i believe this is what their intend was. to keep us from destroying each other. once we are ready to see past the fear and truly love one another unconditionally we will be free from suffering and attain peace.
  • sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    Only half of us would be speaking Russian. The other half would have been slaughtered by Stalin.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Only half of us would be speaking Russian. The other half would have been slaughtered by Stalin.
    :( and true. People who say war is never worth waging must not study history, not see what happens when ruthlessness runs unopposed. Stalin killed over 20 million of his own people? Milosevic, Hussein, Hitler? War is terrible, tradgic, full of loss and sorrow, and sometimes the unavoidable best option.
    "In recent years I have gone to far more Buddhist temples in Thailand than I have Christian churches in America, but I have attended both."

If visiting temples and churches is what you think makes you more spiritual, I'm happy for you, but it still doesn't change the facts.

"And yet, you're trying to take Christianity back to the Salem Witchcraft Days and beyond."

I'm not "TRYING" to do anything,again, just stating the facts.

"And, I think you have a rather purified view of Buddhism as practiced today."

There is good and bad in everyone.

"Thankfully, most of the responses I see in this thread are a little more balanced than your view."

My opinion, however you might judge it, is my opinion, and every bit as valid as yours, sorry.

Namaste
    In your own responses you've stated the problem with your responses. At one point you say you're "just stating the facts", and a few lines later you say your "opinion, however you might judge it, is [your] opinion..." So are you talking facts or opinions. Either is fine, provided you can separate the two. And yes, your opinion is every bit as valid as mine. Why is it such a problem if someone's opinion is different than yours?

That's presupposing that Americans even want war. It's only until recently that non-interventionism has fallen from favour. Even with that in mind, most opinion polls seem to suggest people are against the current conflicts. And the ones who do want war often support out of fear, or misinformation and conjecture.

• Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    Vinlyn

Life is too short.

You have my compassion.

With Metta
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    Why do all the "others" seem to think only the abrahamic God is angry and violent. Egypt, Greece, the Norse and Hindus had really nasty deities too. Pick up a book sometime.

In metta,
    Raven