Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Direct insight

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited April 2011 in Meditation
I have been on this forum a while now, and it seems that a lot of people have a really good grasp of the Buddha's Dharma and understand the teachings very well from a theoretical point. However, I am just wondering if there are any members who have actually gained direct insight into Buddhas teachings through meditation. I have not gained any sort of insight in meditation that I feel went beyond my theoretical understanding of the Dharma, which may reflect the lack of time I spend meditating.
Of course I try to put Buddha's teachings into practice in every day life and I know they have made a positive influence on me as a person and definitely gave me the understanding and skills to overcome a lot of situations, but again I don't think I have experienced anything in meditation I would consider as insight.
Anyway it would be nice to know if anyone has gained some sort of insight while in meditation that they feel went above their theoretical understanding of the Dharma. And if there is anyone, it would be nice to know if this insight has changed their life in anyway.

Metta to all sentient beings

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    For me, insight does not go beyond theory; the theory is simply the description of insight; insight confirms or verifies the theory; the theory describes the way to insight

:)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I heard the dog bark and the crickets chirp, does that count as "insight"? :)
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Well what I mean by direct insight, is that I have had no eureka moments while meditating on Dharma teachings, nothing higher than an understanding that I had already, you could say that I have an intellectual appreciation but I have not gained a direct and penetrating discernment for the Dharma through meditation. So although having an intellectual appreciation is ok, I think that meditation is the only real way of getting this insight into the true nature of life. So just wondering if anyone has had this kind of insight.

• As my teacher says, all the sutras, all the commentaries they all describe realization of somebody else. Eventually you have to "get" your own. Until you start to meditate it will be just that – somebody's words about reality.
  • Well what I mean by direct insight, is that I have had no eureka moments while meditating on Dharma teachings, nothing higher than an understanding that I had already, you could say that I have an intellectual appreciation but I have not gained a direct and penetrating discernment for the Dharma through meditation.
    In addition to what I said above, I don't think that there's always a sudden realization or enlightment. It can be gradual too and don't expect to realize everything at once. "The dharmas are boundless".
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I don't think anyone will post in this thread something like: "Hey look at me being special, I've had insights!" But I think it is possible to realize things that go beyond all words, as you can see from the video below. Thich Nhat Hanh wrote in one of his books this happened to (a lot of?) people he knows.

As I heard Ajahn Chah once said: If you haven't cried at least three times, you haven't really started practicing. So.. back to the cushion I guess. ;)
  • Thanks Sabre

• I don't think anyone who has had direct insight would be able to describe it here. They probably wouldn't be on a new Buddhist forum anyway.
  • Thanks Sabre, nice video really interesting. :)
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    zidangus,

I don't think insight really works as something obtained. When we have thoughts in meditation, we typically set them free to work on observation and focus.

I consider insight to be what happens when our stilled minds walk up to a new form, notices its qualities and essentially can comprehend its nature. For instance, if you were to walk up to a wagon and see that it had three wheels, and a wheel laying next to it, insight would be that the wheel belongs on that other axle. Not from memorization or learning, or projection of how the wagon should be, but from simply seeing the nature of the wagon and recognizing its interconnected parts.

We can encounter this in meditation, but it isn't very useful except in learning to let go of what we're seeing. It isn't helpful to the wagon if we get swept into the notion of insight, or congratulate ourselves on the seeing. Rather, it is a means to help us mend the wagon. Or in other words, to relate to our experience more skillfully, more clearly.

Insight in meditation isn't really something grand... its closer to an oops than an ah ha. Ah ha is when we get the wagon rolling again, which happens more easily when our minds are still during meditation. Because, we are more likely to be open and available in the moment we encounter the form.

With warmth,

Matt
  • edited April 2011
    "For instance, if you were to walk up to a wagon and see that it had three wheels, and a wheel laying next to it, insight would be that the wheel belongs on that other axle."

What if the wheel was broken :-)
  • Sabre,

I dont even know what to make of that video. I saw quite a few "former [some profession]" which doesnt seem good. Like you reach a high level of understanding and you drop out of society. Also all this talk about we are living in a dream seems like a bit of drivel. Having to go to the bathroom is as real as it gets, its no dream.

Zid,
    Im pretty new to meditation but I have gained what I would think is some insight into the nature of our existence. When the meditation clock hits 30 min I feel a tremendous struggle to stay seated and continue meditating. Its almost like every fiber of my body wants me to stop meditating and this leads me to insight on how little control we have over the mind. How it doesnt like abrupt change. Its a lot easier to have gradual change.

Which is pretty interesting to think also in terms of Buddhism. Everything is changing yet changes are usually gradual and slow. A table wont always be a table but it sure can take a long time before it stops being a table.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Yes. After practicing for a while I noticed how I didn't have to suffer if I didn't want to. Over time the drama was burned away and it was seen that I'm super content with my life.

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I have been on this forum a while now, and it seems that a lot of people have a really good grasp of the Buddha's Dharma and understand the teachings very well from a theoretical point. However, I am just wondering if there are any members who have actually gained direct insight into Buddhas teachings through meditation. I have not gained any sort of insight in meditation that I feel went beyond my theoretical understanding of the Dharma, which may reflect the lack of time I spend meditating.
    Of course I try to put Buddha's teachings into practice in every day life and I know they have made a positive influence on me as a person and definitely gave me the understanding and skills to overcome a lot of situations, but again I don't think I have experienced anything in meditation I would consider as insight.
    Anyway it would be nice to know if anyone has gained some sort of insight while in meditation that they feel went above their theoretical understanding of the Dharma. And if there is anyone, it would be nice to know if this insight has changed their life in anyway.

Dear zidangus

What a wonderful insight, to know that theory is not understanding, and understanding is not necessarily realisation, and realisation even is not yet actualisation - that is the Buddha life itself.

Many thanks for your wonderful inquiry and open mind..

Yes it is true, I think at least, that theory and even super comprehension of theory is not the same as genuine insight. Although unfortunately some people do seem content with theory only. And what do I mean by genuine insight? I mean the insight practiced by all Buddhas and all Patriarchs of our generation and beyond. Genuine peace and stilling of the fires cannot be mistaken for mere intellectual gossip. It can but there is also life, and if we are lucky, good teachers to help us along the way.

Here on forums we all, at least I presuppose, start with intellectual gossip. I know this, I learnt this, my Dhamma is bigger than your Dharma or alternatively, I am so compassionate and watch me glow.

The difference lies in this: practice. With practice the wears have an opportunity to be worn away. Without practice, one is prone to only become an intellectual giant and maybe even hypocrite, the wares of certainty are very strong and as an old friend once said: 'With doubt conquered, ignorance is invincible'. Keep up your good practice and keep an open mind. With time, and genuine actual factual practice which includes meditation, insights are not too far away...

Best wishes,
    Abu

• For me, insight does not go beyond theory; the theory is simply the description of insight; insight confirms or verifies the theory; the theory describes the way to insight

I think you are selling yourself short if that is what you stick to.

Best wishes,
    Abu
    edited April 2011

Dear zidangus

What a wonderful insight, to know that theory is not understanding, and understanding is not necessarily realisation, and realisation even is not yet actualisation - that is the Buddha life itself.

Yes it is true, I think at least, that theory and even super comprehension of theory is not the same as genuine insight. Although unfortunately some people do seem content with theory only. And what do I mean by genuine insight? I mean the insight practiced by all Buddhas and all Patriarchs of our generation and beyond. Genuine peace and stilling of the fires cannot be mistaken for mere intellectual gossip. It can but there is also life, and if we are lucky, good teachers to help us along the way.

Here on forums we all, at least I presuppose, start with intellectual gossip. I know this, I learnt this, my Dhamma is bigger than your Dharma or alternatively, I am so compassionate and watch me glow.

The difference lies in this: practice. With practice the wears have an opportunity to be worn away. Without practice, one is prone to only become an intellectual giant and maybe even hypocrite, the wares of certainty are very strong and as an old friend once said: 'With doubt conquered, ignorance is invincible'. Keep up your good practice and keep an open mind. With time, and genuine actual factual practice which includes meditation, insights are not too far away...

Best wishes,
    Abu

Thanks Abu, I agree with everything you have said in your post, there is a big difference between theory and genuine insight, and only through practice can this genuine insight be found.

I think for a Buddhist starting out on the Buddhist path (which is what I consider myself to be), I would guess that meditation becomes secondary to study, simply because a person needs to judge if Buddhism makes sense to them and they understand from a theoretical point what Buddhism stands for. However, at some point ( a point I don't think I have reached), I think study must become secondary to meditation as genuine insight is sought.
    At the moment for me the balance between the two is around 70% study and 30% meditation, which I think reflects how far I am on the Buddhist path (i.e not that far). I hoping I can even this out more in the future.

edited April 2011

Zid,
    Im pretty new to meditation but I have gained what I would think is some insight into the nature of our existence. When the meditation clock hits 30 min I feel a tremendous struggle to stay seated and continue meditating. Its almost like every fiber of my body wants me to stop meditating and this leads me to insight on how little control we have over the mind. How it doesnt like abrupt change. Its a lot easier to have gradual change.
    I used to also get this a lot as well when I first started meditating. Anyway by practicing meditation on a daily basis I don't get this as much, only sometimes. So I have had benefits from my meditation no doubt about it, and I know my meditation is a way of training the mind to get that control back, so maybe this is some kind of insight.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    Sabre,

I dont even know what to make of that video. I saw quite a few "former [some profession]" which doesnt seem good. Like you reach a high level of understanding and you drop out of society. Also all this talk about we are living in a dream seems like a bit of drivel. Having to go to the bathroom is as real as it gets, its no dream.
    I believe most made teaching their experiences their new 'job'. Buddhism is perfectly compatible with society, but if you really want to get deep getting out of it is the best option of course.

Of course it's real, but he explains it like it is a dream in lack of better words to describe his experience. I don't think all of them are Buddhists, so that could explain why they don't use the usual terms.
  • RicRic
    edited April 2011
    Sabre,
    but if you really want to get deep getting out of it is the best option of course.
    So thank god for people who dont want to get deep, or else we would never have the internet or reached the moon.

I also think that people who tune out of society are actually living a more delusional life.

Im still coming up to the doctrine of emptiness but I already feel its gonna be a tough one to accept :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    How do we know that any insight we might experience isn't a thought formation? Because it conforms to the theory we've learned?
    Yes. After practicing for a while I noticed how I didn't have to suffer if I didn't want to. Over time the drama was burned away and it was seen that I'm super content with my life.:)
    This is a great example.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011

So thank god for people who dont want to get deep, or else we would never have the internet or reached the moon.

I also think that people who tune out of society are actually living a more delusional life.

Im still coming up to the doctrine of emptiness but I already feel its gonna be a tough one to accept :)
    Spiritual goals are not worldly goals. :) Not everybody thinks internet and reaching the moon are important things. It all depends on your aspirations and experiences. The Buddha left his royal life as a prince and became a beggar to find the truth, because he wasn't ultimately satisfied with his old life. Still today people who have a high career ahead of them choose not to follow that path because they already saw it would not satisfy them. Examples are the French biologist Matthieu Ricard or the scientist who is now know as Ajahn Brahmavamso. There must be many more who I'm not aware off.

I think monks live a very non-delusional life and can have a very important role in society, they are not tuned out. But or course lay life can be a good teacher and today and in the Buddha's time lots of lay persons achieved the first glimpse of nibbana, so one doesn't have to leave lay life per se for this. But the serenity of a -partly- secluded life helps the practice of course.

If you want a nice introduction on emptiness I suggest you read Form is Emptiness, Emptiness is Form by Thich Nhat Hanh. He has a gift to bring every teaching in a beautiful way.

With metta,
    Sabre :)
    edited April 2011
    Why? Is your mind enlightened to be able to assert such a view? Please share your experiences of enlightenment with us.

:confused:
    edited April 2011
    Why? Is your mind enlightened to be able to assert such a view? Please share your experiences of enlightenment with us.

I think I am right in saying that Buddha did not have a theory before he gained his insight. So in this sense the theory did not describe the way to insight as you suggest. I think deep genuine insight is something that cannot be taught intellectually it must be developed spiritually through meditation, as Buddha himself found out through his awakening.

• Thanks sabre, Ill add that book to my list.

I take the middle path :) I work on both worldly/spiritual growth. I think you miss out on life if you just dedicate yourself to one and you can only see a narrow part of the whole experience, thats what I mean by delusion. They deny a whole part of life, for example, having kids.

Also, what is more real then reaching the moon ? Thats why I get a bit lost when ppl start saying, the ultimate truth is emptiness or stuff like this is all a dream. To me the ultimate reality is reaching the moon, the more I think of it, the ultimate reality is math....it never fails. Just think about it, we calculated a bunch of things, constructed a rocket, landed on the moon and came back....the ultimate truth...it worked.
  • Hi Zidangus,

it´s an interesting distinction: theory vs insight. I suppose it comes down to theory being understanding throught reasoning, whereas insight is understanding without prior reasoning; this is why you can teach theory, but not insight. I'd say that the insight comes when the time is ripe. I cannot know what is standing between me and insight, so my personal approach is to create an open space by reminding me that "I don't know".
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Thanks sabre, Ill add that book to my list.

I take the middle path :) I work on both worldly/spiritual growth. I think you miss out on life if you just dedicate yourself to one and you can only see a narrow part of the whole experience, thats what I mean by delusion. They deny a whole part of life, for example, having kids.

Also, what is more real then reaching the moon ? Thats why I get a bit lost when ppl start saying, the ultimate truth is emptiness or stuff like this is all a dream. To me the ultimate reality is reaching the moon, the more I think of it, the ultimate reality is math....it never fails. Just think about it, we calculated a bunch of things, constructed a rocket, landed on the moon and came back....the ultimate truth...it worked.
    Yes, of course reaching the moon is real. Emptiness does not mean there is nothing at all. It's not like a kind of The Matrix thing. Also, the dream description is not a Buddhist terminology. I just posted the movie to show people really have realizations that go beyond theory. :)
    edited April 2011
    To me the ultimate reality is reaching the moon, the more I think of it, the ultimate reality is math....it never fails. Just think about it, we calculated a bunch of things, constructed a rocket, landed on the moon and came back....the ultimate truth...it worked.
    I think that Mathematics can only addresses part of our experience. A lot of human experience cannot be considered Science or Mathematics. For example ethics, aesthetics, and political philosophy are not what I would consider as Mathematical.

• SabreSabre Veteran

I think I am right in saying that Buddha did not have a theory before he gained his insight. So in this sense the theory did not describe the way to insight as you suggest. I think deep genuine insight is something that cannot be taught intellectually it must be developed spiritually through meditation, as Buddha himself found out through his awakening.

This is indeed quite clear.

"I have attained to this Dhamma which is profound, hard to see, hard to grasp, peaceful, excellent, beyond reasoning, subtle, to be apprehended by the wise."

http://www.palicanon.org/en/sutta-pitaka/transcribed-suttas/digha-nikaya/171-dn-14-mahpadna-sutta-the-great-discourse-on-the-lineage.html
    edited April 2011
    Well what I mean by direct insight, is that I have had no eureka moments while meditating on Dharma teachings, nothing higher than an understanding that I had already, you could say that I have an intellectual appreciation but I have not gained a direct and penetrating discernment for the Dharma through meditation. So although having an intellectual appreciation is ok, I think that meditation is the only real way of getting this insight into the true nature of life. So just wondering if anyone has had this kind of insight.

Sitting there listening to the dog bark and feeling that the only thing that is actually real is the barking dog. ALL that other "stuff" is not actually real, it's a complete fantasy, a fabrication, a dream that appears out of nowhere and disappears back to nowhere. There is nothing except a barking dog. (Big sigh of relief) A barking dog is quite easy to deal with! Thank god I don't have to worry about all that other "stuff"! There is nothing to understand and nothing to get. There is just a barking dog and that's it, nothing more! "The Buddha" is a barking dog. Bark, bark, bark!

Now if I could only learn to never grab on to things that are not actually real. However, this is quite difficult!

edited April 2011
    I think you are right in saying that Buddha did not have a theory before he gained his insight. That is why he is the founder of Buddhim, because he discovered not only insight, but the path to insight.

But, later, the Buddha's theory to describe the way to insight resulted in hundreds, even thousands, of people gaining the same insight as him.

You can think whatever you want about deep genuine insight as something that cannot be taught intellectually.

However, the facts of the matter are as stated in your original posts, namely:
    I have not gained any sort of insight in meditation...

:-/
  • the buddha only sees buddha. buddha buddha buddha buddha.

buddha would make a nice drink company. think about it.

• Sitting there listening to the dog bark and feeling that the only thing that is actually real is the barking dog. ALL that other "stuff" is not actually real, it's a complete fantasy, a fabrication, a dream that appears out of nowhere and disappears back to nowhere. There is nothing except a barking dog. (Big sigh of relief) A barking dog is quite easy to deal with! Thank god I don't have to worry about all that other "stuff"! There is nothing to understand and nothing to get. There is just a barking dog and that's it, nothing more! "The Buddha" is a barking dog. Bark, bark, bark!
    To paraphrase a known zen koan about the flag and the wind…do you think it's the dog that is barking? Or is it your mind that is barking? or neither or both? Just a thought to complicate your perfect world of "just barking dog" :)

That is true. However, the insights that other people "get" are the same insights that the Buddha "got". The Buddha described (theorized) these insights as best as they could be described after he got them. He was a true master at putting these things into words. So when another person gets these insights, they conform to the theories because they are the same insights. What you say about the theory not describing the way to insights is only true before the Buddha got enlightenment and started teaching. After he got enlightenment and started teaching the way to get these insights, then, the theory does correctly describe the way to these insights. However, the theory and the insight are two different things. The theory correctly points the way to the insight, it is not the insight itself. In order for it to be insight, one must know it to be true "in your bones" so to speak. In order to know it "in your bones" all one needs to do is follow the theories and put them into practice. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The path is already laid out, one just needs to follow it.

Sitting there listening to the dog bark and feeling that the only thing that is actually real is the barking dog. ALL that other "stuff" is not actually real, it's a complete fantasy, a fabrication, a dream that appears out of nowhere and disappears back to nowhere. There is nothing except a barking dog. (Big sigh of relief) A barking dog is quite easy to deal with! Thank god I don't have to worry about all that other "stuff"! There is nothing to understand and nothing to get. There is just a barking dog and that's it, nothing more! "The Buddha" is a barking dog. Bark, bark, bark!
    To paraphrase a known zen koan about the flag and the wind…do you think it's the dog that is barking? Or is it your mind that is barking? or neither or both? Just a thought to complicate your perfect world of "just barking dog" :)
    Bark, bark, bark!
  • truth is in being. thinking is fragmenting the truth.

thus through thinking you cannot grasp truth.

only in being can you be truth. and from "being" you can understand truth.

being > thinking

they won't teach this in buddhist school.
    edited April 2011
    However, the insights that other people "get" are the same insights that the Buddha "got". The Buddha described (theorized) these insights as best as they could be described after he got them. He was a true master at putting these things into words. So when another person gets these insights, they conform to the theories because they are the same insights. What you say about the theory not describing the way to insights is only true before the Buddha got enlightenment and started teaching. After he got enlightenment and started teaching the way to get these insights, then, the theory does correctly describe the way to these insights. However, the theory and the insight are two different things. The theory correctly points the way to the insight, it is not the insight itself. In order for it to be insight, one must know it to be true "in your bones" so to speak. In order to know it "in your bones" all one needs to do is follow the theories and put them into practice. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The path is already laid out, one just needs to follow it.
    Well spoken

edited April 2011
    ...all Buddhas and all Patriarchs of our generation and beyond...here on forums we all, at least I presuppose, start with intellectual gossip...my Dhamma is bigger than your Dharma or alternatively, I am so compassionate and watch me glow...prone to only become an intellectual giant and maybe even hypocrite, the wares of certainty are very strong and as an old friend once said: 'With doubt conquered, ignorance is invincible'...
    These kinds of judgments will get one nowhere, that is, exalting some, disparaging others.

If one aspires to insight, the mind must abandon all judgments.

In the abandoning of all judgments, one's mind must have no doubts at all.

The mind must be committed & fearless. No "teacher" can help anyone here.

The abandoning of all judgments, is the path.

Any insight, will occur in its own accord.

edited April 2011
    Insight or vipassana is seeing that which has not been seen before, which is both transformational & liberating.

The ultimate insight is that of Emptiness. For there to be the 'Big Emptiness', the path must begin with 'small emptiness'.

Best wishes

• I don't think I have experienced anything in meditation I would consider as insight.
    Hard to answer until you say what it is you would consider as insight. Early meditation, at least in the usual Lam Rim, is specifically concerned with developing a close connection and an intuitive feel for the Buddha's theoretical teachings. (Death & Impermanence, Six Realms, Five Elements...) For instance, a while back, after about a year of doing a meditation concerning the Hell Realm, I perceived someone to be attacking me, and naturally relaxed into an attitude which can be summarized as "Oppose if you want; but there is no need to oppose back." That was an insight, but it wasn't really an insight beyond the intellectual understanding. It reflected a new capacity to live according to that intellectual understanding, in spite of the conditioning I carried regarding hostility.

Also, this conversation is probably going to be confused, because "insight meditation" is very different from the kind of insight you seem to be talking about. Insight meditation can also be understood as developing a connection with a part of the Buddha's teaching, but actually it is more like developing a skill in relating to experience according to that teaching.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011

If one aspires to insight, the mind must abandon all judgments.

In the abandoning of all judgments, one's mind must have no doubts at all.

The mind must be committed & fearless. No "teacher" can help anyone here.

Any insight, will occur in its own accord.

It is obvious you have been reading too much theory :(

It is obvious also that the mind of a bigot or a believer is the mind of no doubt. It is the unwavering belief and no doubt that causes that bomber to bomb and believe in heavens afterwards and it is also the mind of the believer that can only recycle Buddhist theory, but may not have yet reached its genuine teaching.

Be committed and fearless? Have no doubts? That is the training in some institutions but it is not ours. Any thing that arises like that is a result of a training but not the steps of our training.

The faith or lack of doubt pointed to in our teachings is just one of experience, plain and simple. Buddhism works, but its miracles can never canvassed by mere words and those that cling only at the intellectual understanding just are not as happy.

• Dear zidangus

Best wishes,
    Abu

Thanks Abu, I agree with everything you have said in your post, there is a big difference between theory and genuine insight, and only through practice can this genuine insight be found.

I think for a Buddhist starting out on the Buddhist path (which is what I consider myself to be), I would guess that meditation becomes secondary to study, simply because a person needs to judge if Buddhism makes sense to them and they understand from a theoretical point what Buddhism stands for. However, at some point ( a point I don't think I have reached), I think study must become secondary to meditation as genuine insight is sought.
    At the moment for me the balance between the two is around 70% study and 30% meditation, which I think reflects how far I am on the Buddhist path (i.e not that far). I hoping I can even this out more in the future.

My own experience is, and I only speak for myself, after a while talking about the pie incessantly just does not cut it any more. At that point, so to speak :) we can finally start the meal.

Best wishes and hope it all goes well.
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the great posts Abu,

I hope someday through practice, I can start to eat that pie instead of talking about it.

Best wishes to you also :)

edited April 2011
    I thought this was interesting
    Taken from

Sutra of Hui Neng: Chapter 7: Temperament and Circumstances

"Should we be able, upon being taught, to grasp and understand thoroughly the teaching of Enlightenment-knowledge, then our inherent quality or true nature, i.e., the Enlightenment-knowledge, would have an opportunity to manifest itself. You should not misinterpret the text, and come to the conclusion that Buddha-knowledge is something special to Buddha and not common to us all because you happen to find in the Sutra this passage, 'To open the eyes for the sight of Buddha-knowledge, to show the sight of Buddha-knowledge, etc.' Such a misinterpretation would amount to slandering Buddha and blaspheming the Sutra. Since he is a Buddha, he is already in possession of this Enlightenment-knowledge and there is no occasion for himself to open his eyes for it. You should therefore accept the interpretation that Buddha-knowledge is the Buddha-knowledge of your own mind and not that of any other Buddha.

http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/Sutra_of_Hui_Neng:_Chapter_7:_Temperament_and_Circumstances

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Dear zidangus,

Just keep practicing the path. Keep it fun. Each meditation session will give some small insights. Also daily mindfulness can do this. One day you might hit something big and you'll laugh.

Every now and then there is somebody asking about more profound meditation experiences on this forum, so for sure it is possible. There is more to it than intellectual understanding.

With metta,
    Sabre

• You can think whatever you want about deep genuine insight as something that cannot be taught intellectually.

However, the facts of the matter are as stated in your original posts, namely:
    I have not gained any sort of insight in meditation...

:-/
    Your are right I agree, this is a fact :)

• Dear zidangus,

Just keep practicing the path. Keep it fun. Each meditation session will give some small insights. Also daily mindfulness can do this. One day you might hit something big and you'll laugh.

Every now and then there is somebody asking about more profound meditation experiences on this forum, so for sure it is possible. There is more to it than intellectual understanding.

With metta,
    Sabre
    Thanks Sabre,

I will keep it fun, and who knows one day my meditations might lead me down a nice path.

I should say thanks for everyone who has posted, your replies have certainly made me reflect and try to understand where I am and where I want to go with my practice, and also highlighted to me just how important it is to develop spiritually as well as intellectually.

With metta to you also Sabre

• Sorry I thought I would share another nice article (IMO)

http://wahiduddin.net/views/buddhi.htm

It cites The Dhammapada by Eknath Easwaran,

it looks an interesting translation of the Dhammapada, has anyone read this translation ?

• Hi Floating Abu,

"In the abandoning of all judgments, one's mind must have no doubts at all."

It appears to me that you took the sub-phrase of having no doubts out of its context (i.e. "In the abandoning of all judgments"), and so, in my opinion, your comments on having no doubts did not address the text that was posted by Dhamma Dhatu.
    edited April 2011
    Be committed and fearless? Have no doubts? That is the training in some institutions but it is not ours. Any thing that arises like that is a result of a training but not the steps of our training.
    What is this "our" being referred to?

Is this "our" a certain religious sect?

On returning from his almsround, after his meal he sits down, folding his legs crosswise, setting his body erect, and establishing mindfulness before him. Abandoning doubt, he abides having gone beyond doubt, unperplexed about wholesome states; he purifies his mind of doubt.

The first stage is that of Sotāpanna (Pali; Sanskrit: Srotāpanna), literally meaning "one who enters (āpadyate) the stream (sotas)," with the stream being the supermundane Noble Eightfold Path regarded as the highest Dharma. The stream-enterer is also said to have "opened the eye of the Dharma" (dhammacakkhu, Sanskrit: dharmacakṣus).

Due to the fact that the stream-enterer has attained an intuitive grasp of Buddhist doctrine (samyagdṛṣṭi or sammādiṭṭhi, "right view") and has complete confidence or Saddha in the Three Jewels: Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, that individual will not be reborn in any plane lower than the human (animal, preta, or in hell).

Yassa saddhā tathāgate
    Acalā supatiṭṭhitā,
    Sīlañca yassa kalyāṇaṃ
    Ariya-kantaṃ pasaṃsitaṃ

One whose conviction in the Tathagata
    Is unshakable, well-established,
    Whose virtue is admirable,
    Praised, cherished by the Noble Ones,

Saṅghe pasādo yassatthi
    Ujubhūtañca dassanaṃ
    Adaḷiddoti taṃ āhu
    Amoghan-tassa jīvitaṃ

Who has faith in the Sangha, straightforwardness, vision:
    "He is not poor," they say. His life has not been in vain.

Tasmā saddhañca sīlañca
    Pasādaṃ dhamma-dassanaṃ
    Anuyuñjetha medhāvī
    Saraṃ buddhāna-sāsananti

So conviction & virtue, faith, & dhamma-vision
    Should be cultivated by the wise,
    Remembering the Buddhas' teachings.
    The Discourse on Right View: The Sammaditthi Sutta and its Commentary speaks to this very subject of intellectual understanding vs experiential understanding. It is a very good read. :) The message that I get from it is that correct intellectual understanding, although it does not directly cause freedom, is still valuable because it gives support to the attainment of actual wisdom which causes freedom.

To use Floating Abu's analogy of the pie. I think one can say that this world has many "pies", say 100 pies or so, some are quite nutritious and some are rotten. Correct intellectual understanding shows which ones to eat and which ones to not eat. But of course, just knowing which particular pies to eat does not mean that you have eaten them. But still it is quite helpful to know which ones to eat and which ones to not eat.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanamoli/wheel377.html

"As its title suggests, the subject of the Sammaditthi Sutta is right view. The analysis of right view undertaken in the sutta brings us to the very core of the Dhamma, since right view constitutes the correct understanding of the central teachings of the Buddha, the teachings which confer upon the Buddha's doctrine its own unique and distinctive stamp. Though the practice of right mindfulness has rightly been extolled as the crest jewel of the Buddha's teaching, it cannot be stressed strongly enough that the practice of mindfulness, or any other approach to meditation, only becomes an effective instrument of liberation to the extent that it is founded upon and guided by right view. Hence, to confirm the importance of right view, the Buddha places it at the very beginning of the Noble Eightfold Path. Elsewhere in the Suttas the Buddha calls right view the forerunner of the path (pubbangama), which gives direction and efficacy to the other seven path factors.

Right view, as explained in the commentary to the Sammaditthi Sutta, has a variety of aspects, but it might best be considered as twofold: conceptual right view, which is the intellectual grasp of the principles enunciated in the Buddha's teaching, and experiential right view, which is the wisdom that arises by direct penetration of the teaching. Conceptual right view, also called the right view in conformity with the truths (saccanulomika-sammaditthi), is a correct conceptual understanding of the Dhamma arrived at by study of the Buddha's teachings and deep examination of their meaning. Such understanding, though conceptual rather than experiential, is not dry and sterile. When rooted in faith in the Triple Gem and driven by a keen aspiration to realize the truth embedded in the formulated principles of the Dhamma, it serves as a critical phase in the development of wisdom (pañña), for it provides the germ out of which experiential right view gradually evolves.

Experiential right view is the penetration of the truth of the teaching in one's own immediate experience. Thus it is also called right view that penetrates the truths (saccapativedha-sammaditthi). This type of right view is aroused by the practice of insight meditation guided by a correct conceptual understanding of the Dhamma. To arrive at direct penetration, one must begin with a correct conceptual grasp of the teaching and transform that grasp from intellectual comprehension to direct perception by cultivating the threefold training in morality, concentration and wisdom. If conceptual right view van be compared to a hand, a hand that grasps the truth by way of concepts, then experiential right view can be compared to an eye — the eye of wisdom that sees directly into the true nature of existence ordinarily hidden from us by our greed, aversion and delusion."