Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Direct insight

13»

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Dear DD,

I'm not going into your replies, let me explain why. I know actual insights from meditation are possible and want to support those who feel the same. You obviously think it is not possible or at least not important and intellectual understanding is good enough for you, that's fine with me. If it makes you a happier person, great! :) But I'm trying to inspire people and myself to continue meditating and it doesn't help you or me or anybody else if I am going to debate you intellectually about this.

I hope you also have a happy meditation with lots of insights.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • “Certitude conquers doubt, not ignorance. And with doubt conquered, ignorance is invincible.”

~ The Doyen, Bodhimind
    Just more blind faith.

Doubt conquered results in samadhi and samadhi results in insight which ends ignorance.

This is the simple dhamma the Buddha taught rather than the confusion of "The Doyen"

:)

You're very welcome, Dhamma Dhatu.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Thank you, for your kind & gracious words, Floating Abu :)
  • edited April 2011
    I have found my direct insights while not sitting on the cushion. It happens when someone pulls out in front of me in traffic and I look at and question my emotions instead of coming under their power. It happens when someone challenges an idea or position I have and I recognize that it's OK. It happens when I have plans outdoors and it is raining and I semll and taste the rain and smile.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I have found my direct insights while not sitting on the cushion. It happens when someone pulls out in front of me in traffic and I look at and question my emotions instead of coming under their power. It happens when someone challenges an idea or position I have and I recognize that it's OK. It happens when I have plans outdoors and it is raining and I semll and taste the rain and smile.
    edited April 2011
    You obviously think it is not possible or at least not important and intellectual understanding is good enough for you...
    Where did I ever say intellectual understanding is good enough?

Where did I ever say genuine intellectual understanding does not lay the foundation for concentration which lays the foundation for genuine insight?

:-/
  • I know actual insights from meditation are possible...
    And want kind of "insights" would those be?

:confused:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    You obviously think it is not possible or at least not important and intellectual understanding is good enough for you...
    Where did I ever say intellectual understanding is good enough?
    I concluded that from this:
    For me, insight does not go beyond theory [..]
    If that is misinterpreted, I hereby take back what I said.

With loving kindness,
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I know actual insights from meditation are possible...
    And want kind of "insights" would those be?

:confused:
    The kind of insights about the mind, of course. What else would a Buddhist study? :)
    edited April 2011
    The kind of insights about the mind, of course.
    Insight goes beyond the mind, into the universal nature of reality.

Insights about the mind sounds just like the psychotherapy Matt believes is "insight".

:sawed:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The mind is an essential part of nature and studying that is what Buddhism is all about. That's were the "universal nature of reality" or however you want to call it can be found. Those monks don't sit for hours in meditation just because they've got nothing better to do. If the answers were to be found outside of themselves, they would look there instead.

Metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2011
    The mind is an essential part of nature and studying that is what Buddhism is all about. That's were the "universal nature of reality" or however you want to call it can be found.
    I did not say the mind was something separate from insight. There are insights that exclusively relate to the mind, such as complete realisation of the Four Noble Truths

but insight relates to all things, all mind objects, including the "external"

i am not so interested in your conjecture about "monks". I asked about your own insights

277. "All conditioned things are impermanent" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

278. "All conditioned things are unsatisfactory" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

279. "All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The mind is an essential part of nature and studying that is what Buddhism is all about. That's were the "universal nature of reality" or however you want to call it can be found.
    i am not so interested in your conjecture about "monks". I asked about your own insights

And I am not so interested to share exactly, for that serves no purpose. :)

Hope I gave some people some faith, that's my only goal here. Not to defend myself.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011

And I am not so interested to share exactly, for that serves no purpose. :)

Hope I gave some people some faith, that's my only goal here. Not to defend myself.
    Your posts have been greatly appreciated Sabre.
    In fact thanks to everyone who has posted on the thread. There has been some really good views and advice expressed :)

Metta to all sentient beings
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran

Funny how you must fall back on an unenlightened drug taking womanising intellectual ......
    Whenever I find myself using labels against others in a derogatory way, irrespective of the level of the skills and abilities of the individual I am referring to, I consider that I have lost my way and are going in the wrong direction, I still do this fairly often but are continuing to try to improve.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    the greatest insight is the insight that you don't know anything.

and oh boy that leads to a lot of contentment because here you were seeking and searching for some knowledge and your realize holy shit there is really nothing to know other than what is in front of me at this moment.

awareness and reality as it is right now. that's all.

insight made me simple. i know that i don't know and there is awareness of what is.