Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Starting a Buddhist Bookclub

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited April 2011 in Arts & Writings
Announcement: A small group of members is interested in starting a bookclub to discuss books on Buddhist topics. Anyone can join in. To kick it off, we've chosen Stephen Batchelor's "Buddhist Without Beliefs". We expect to begin discussion May 15, to give people time to buy and read the book. After beginning this first discussion, members can make suggestions for and vote on the next title, for discussion later in June. If there's enough interest in the bookclub idea, there's no reason why two titles couldn't be under discussion on separate threads, in teh Arts & Writings category.

Comments

• im down for this...
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Great! :thumbsup:
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    I'm in... I read "Buddhism without Beliefs" a few years back. Good book.
  • Me too! "Buddhism without Beliefs" is a good book.
  • I'm in!
  • If I get the book, I am in.

I work odd hours compared to most(nights, weekends, holidays), so discussion groups are hard to come by.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    If I get the book, I am in.

I work odd hours compared to most(nights, weekends, holidays), so discussion groups are hard to come by.
    The book is available at Amazon for around $8, and seems to ship out pretty quickly.
  • hehehe I couldnt help it and Ive already started reading...
  • edited April 2011
    Awesome!

edit-

I mean I'm into this.
  • I'm always up for Stephen Batchelor. :)
  • half way through!!
  • half way through!!
    I think you're way ahead of us, Ric (except for those who already read the book long ago); most of us don't have the book yet. We appreciate your enthusiasm, though, don't we, gang? :om:
  • Who gets to be Oprah? (lol, I'm joshing ya')
  • I'm in! If I can get the book... :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I'm in! If I can get the book... :D
    Something tells me Amazon is going to have a sudden run on the book. They have lots of copies, used and new.
    Who gets to be Oprah? (lol, I'm joshing ya')
    :)
    FYI, folks, I found a copy in a local used bookstore. Calling used bookstores to ask if they have it could work, if you area has used bookstores. The book apparently isn't of recent enough publication for regular bookstores to carry it.

Try checking your local library too... I know in Canada if a library doesn't have a book you can request it and they will aquire it and you will be first on the list to read it.
  • I was in Borders last night and they had it, so I wouldn't rule out stores that carry new books without checking first.
  • JoshuaJoshua Veteran
    I've placed a hold from some affiliated library, I should have mine in about a week or so.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Hi, Josh, thanks for coming out of hibernation to join us. :) I just got my copy in the mail.
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    I just got my copy from Chapters. The first 2 chapters are very interesting.
  • I started yesterday...i await discussion
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Let's give people until the end of this week, and then we can start. We can be thinking about discussion topics, in the meantime.
    I am wondering how this book discussion is going to be structured... Will the chapters be divided over the month to give equal time and some focus to the discussion? Who is going to lead the discussion to keep it focused and on track? Dakini?

Sorry for my desire for order... I don't do well in unstructured things... ADD and all :)
    Let's give people until the end of this week, and then we can start. We can be thinking about discussion topics, in the meantime.
    Oh... I just ordered a copy last night... Hope it gets here in the week... fortunately I've already read it, albeit many years ago. I was expecting the discussion to start on the 15th of May as stated in the OP though. Can we shoot for May 1st then... I would like a chance to receive the book and at least have a day or so to get into the first chapter and be able to contribute more than my not so good memory would allow me.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Right, well, it seemed like some people were going to be done before May 15, but we'll see.

I thought that before we start, we could have people suggest discussion topics, and we can put 'em up on the book thread, and we can all decide which topics we want to discuss. So each topic could have it's own thread. (I'm thinking out loud, here). Maybe in the beginning, we'd have 2 or 3 topics that pertain to the 1st half of the book. When those discussions are winding down, we could start topics on the 2nd half of the book, or on the book as a whole.

I'm open to ideas. I don't see the need to divide it up by chapters, because some of the chapters are brief. Some may not of of much interest, others may be of more interest (like Rebirth and his discussion of agnosticism)
  • I think people should spontaneously post topics with the header: Book Club BWB - truth or experience? For example. Then the threads that get answered survive. Unless moderators don't want numerous threads dedicated to a sub-population of readers. We can allow others to participate in the discussion if they do not derail it such as the rebirth section of Batchelor in particular. That is outsiders need to be sensitive that they are outsiders.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    This could work. I agree about the possibility of non-bookclub members possibly hijacking or derailing a thread, but hopefully there will be a few with good observations.

We can post threads on the Arts and Writings section, and Lincoln said to preface the thread title with [BOOKCLUB] We could do as you suggested, and tag it with the Book title: [BOOKCLUB BWB] or the author.

But I still think that voting on topics before posting them would have the advantage of eliminating "thread clutter", especially the problem of threads that might have very few or no responses. We'll see what others think. Thanks, Jeffrey
  • Thats a good point Dakini. Maybe we can vote on three threads for the first two weeks and then vote again for the next two weeks. You are right we have to respect the forums and eliminate clutter. But I wouldn't want anyone to feel that they read the book and then didn't get to address a topic.
    The audiobook appears to be available as a torrent. (Search isohunt.com for the title.) Of course, that would be probably be illegal... But I hear they aren't coming after such obscure violations at the moment...
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Just my opinion, as I'm not running this, but it's probably worthwhile to only try formally administering the related threads if it's clearly going to enrich the conversation. Trying to control the conversation runs a greater chance of deadening it than anarchy does, in my experience. You don't know how much activity you're going to get at this stage, or what it's going to look like.
  • Yeah we welcome participation but will appeal to the mods if we want to discuss the rebirth chapter of BATCHELOR and people are out of control. For example.
  • So is there a rating system for this book club ? I mean are people who read the books meant to give a score out of say 10, to highlight their overall opinion about the book ?

With Metta
  • There could be, but I think mostly the purpose is to discuss the book. And to read it :)
  • Let me test the waters, how would this be as a topic ? weak or strong?

"Do you believe Buddha's story is allegorical or historical ?"
    He does go through the story a bit, but I dont know if thats too broad of a topic or if we want to stick to very precise elemnts.
  • I think broad categories will get more participation.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    If anyone did not know, and is interested there is a documentary on Stephen Batchelor link below

http://www.stephenbatchelor.org/tv_documentary.html

just gives a bit more background on the author if anyone wants to watch

With Metta
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Let me test the waters, how would this be as a topic ? weak or strong?

"Do you believe Buddha's story is allegorical or historical ?"
    He does go through the story a bit, but I dont know if thats too broad of a topic or if we want to stick to very precise elemnts.
    You're way ahead of me, Ric; I haven't gotten to the part of the book yet, where he discusses that. I do recall, though, that in his "Confession" book, he discusses the Buddha's life as historical. Give the rest of us some time to catch up with you, then we'll see. :)

Thx for the documentary, zid.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    This is a good idea, I've never heard anyone suggest a book club on the forum before.

Good one @Dakini. :D
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Thx, Cloud. We'll see how it goes. :)
  • Nice video, Z. Interesting that he found Tibetan Buddhism weak on meditation.
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    In order to maximize participation, I feel we may be well advised to stick to our original discussion date of May 15. I agree that there is a chance of some threads being highjacked but on the other hand I feel the more open the forum the better.

Individuals need to have the opportunity to express their opinions freely and openly about any book without too many controlling factors. Which threads survive or not will be a matter of interest in each thread.
  • I tend to agree that we must not be impatient and start later than the posted date (in fairness). We can be patient. Its one of the paramitas ;) . I wonder how many people are actually participating?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I think I'll join in if I can find some time to read/scan the book. :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I think I'll join in if I can find some time to read/scan the book. :)
    Discussion starts May 15, so there's still plenty of time. It's a small book.

Thanks for the video, zid.
  • Its 100-150 pages. I'm not sure exactly. Its also a good teaching on buddhism. Its not just a rant against orthodoxy.
  • I haven't noticed any rant against orthodoxy, not even in the Rebirth chapter, which provided an interesting discussion. Mainly it reads like a basic intro to Buddhism, but without the Buddhist jargon. He puts everything in layman's terms.
  • I just grabbed me a copy, thanks for the book suggestion. After I read this, my next one will be "alone with others", that one looked interesting as well.
  • Who is alone with others by?
  • thank you Dakini!!! this is so cool...i've read the book...it's absolutely one of my faves...

may you all find the causes of true happiness within