Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The "God" Theory

So i come from a christian background, however i never believed anything i was taught.The only thing that has ever made sense to me was Buddhism. When people say the Bible contradicts itself what exactly is contradicting? And also explain to me why you do not believe in god.

I dont because if there was a "god" or higher power why wouldnt it intervene with all the nasty horrid chaos that continually goes on? and why were people born with such horrible diseases or defects? i mean that is mostly why i dont belive but i would love to hear others that dont as well and your reasoning.

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    So i come from a christian background, however i never believed anything i was taught.The only thing that has ever made sense to me was Buddhism. When people say the Bible contradicts itself what exactly is contradicting? And also explain to me why you do not believe in god.

I dont because if there was a "god" or higher power why wouldnt it intervene with all the nasty horrid chaos that continually goes on? and why were people born with such horrible diseases or defects? i mean that is mostly why i dont belive but i would love to hear others that dont as well and your reasoning.
    I'm just curious why you only want to hear from people who don't believe?
  • edited April 2011

I dont because if there was a "god" or higher power why wouldnt it intervene with all the nasty horrid chaos that continually goes on?
    Because there's free will. The chaos is humanity's doing, and humanity has the choice to stop it. "God" as he is conceived, isn't an over-protective parent. He lets his children learn from their mistakes. That's the reasoning I've heard.

Why are people born with diseases and defects? Let me introduce you to the idea of past-life karma....;)
    Besides, these are not necessarily "bad" or tragic things. Being born with extra challenges gives people an opportunity for tremendous personal growth. There are many inspiring stories of such people. It's our limited perception, perhaps, that categorizes this as tragic.
    Maybe God is Buddhist and he has learned not to be attached to things. :D
  • God i s Concept instilled in you at young age that bypasses your logic in order to have faith on a false concept.
    i believe god is consciousness and we are god and god is us.
  • So i come from a christian background, however i never believed anything i was taught.The only thing that has ever made sense to me was Buddhism. When people say the Bible contradicts itself what exactly is contradicting? And also explain to me why you do not believe in god.

You'd like to know why some of us, who grew up in Christian households, were unable to embrace the religious teachings of our families and instead found Buddhism? I can focus on that, if it will help. In my case, I've never been able to believe the impossible, and the type of Christianity I grew up with could only be approached that way. If you didn't believe in supernatural miracles and a physical resurrection of a dead man, it was closed to you. I wanted to believe. I guess some people are just skeptics in nature. In Buddhism, at least the practice I do, I found a spiritual journey that did not require the impossible from me.

As for contradictions, every religion with an extensive sacred library has those. There are contradictions in our sutras, for that matter. What we don't do is try to insist they're all the inviolate word of God, so we don't tie ourselves into knots trying to explain away a simple difference of opinion between two authors.
  • God is a concept...by which we measure...our paiiinnnn
    Ill say it again
    God is a concept...by which..we measure...our paaainnnn...painnnn
    God i s Concept instilled in you at young age that bypasses your logic in order to have faith on a false concept.
    i believe god is consciousness and we are god and god is us.
    I'm not clear on what you're saying here.

It seems like you meant to say that God is not real, just a concept that was taught to you when you were young by people who didn't know any better.

But, guess what, in Thailand, children are taught about Buddhism from their earliest years by people who didn't know any better.

In fact, can't the same be said about virtually any society and that society's dominant religion?

• for me god is everything. there only is god. god is also called existence. god is the infinite.

god isn't the idea of god, but it is beyond all ideas. because if an idea of god could be god, then you limit god and then you become god.

our abstracted ideas cannot be god. god is everything, thus nothing. he is the evil. he is the good. he is every single concept and he isn't every single concept. he is infinite potential. he cannot be described, but can only be pointed at.

there is only god. lol.

most people's notion of god is what they desire based on fear.
    the true god is the infinite. if not, why call him god?

god is not separate from you and i. we are god because we are existence.

lol i feel like the buddhists are going to stab me. RUNNING AWAY NOW!!
  • lol i feel like the buddhists are going to stab me. RUNNING AWAY NOW!!
    Kill the infidel!!! Use the Shaolin Arhat fist against this heretic!!!

Anyway, believing in god is all good if it helps you to develope compassion toward other living beings (especially humans, people are the hardest to get along with!), becoming more humble and tolerant, becoming less dualistic in your thinking.

But if you turn conservative and suffer/judge others whenever it doesn't agree with your ideals, then it's probably not a healthy attachment.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    "god" is just a thought or word we use

it is a misdefinition of the mind's experiences, regardless of how subtle they are

i was not religious as a child but the first time my mind ever tasted deep peace in meditation, i looked up to the sky and said in a soft voice: "Thank you, God"

my words came from mere conditioning. there was no actual reality ascribable to them

the transformation that occured due to meditation was simply the work of natural forces

:)
  • I dont because if there was a "god" or higher power why wouldnt it intervene with all the nasty horrid chaos that continually goes on? and why were people born with such horrible diseases or defects?
    You have used your own reasoning here to come a logical conclusion. well done

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Here's a passage to a logical argument for why the universe is beginningless and has no creator god from a buddhist perspective. It gets pretty esoteric and can be pretty hard to follow if its your first time hearing these arguements, but anyway here it is, take it for what it's worth.

https://bdigital.ufp.pt/dspace/bitstream/10284/782/3/241-246Cons-Ciencias 02-9.pdf
  • Not exactly Buddhism for beginners. Moving to world religions.
    The essence of the arguement, as I understand it, is that everything comes into exsistence based on causes and conditions. If a Creator God can generate the intent to create something then he is subject to change and therefore must have a cause himself. If a Creator God is outside the laws of cause and effect then he would be unchangeable and immutable and therefore couldn't generate the intent to create.

Its a pretty hard slog to try to understand some of this stuff and I could very well be off the mark. Plus we can't actually know any of this directly until we're enlightened so there a chance all this logic misses the mark.
  • The idea that human suffering somehow negates God seems to be completely baseless. I believe that there is something beyond, but what it is...god knows. We cant even conceptualize how there is something rather than nothing so I believe whatever is beyond is unknowable. Like the turtle explaining to the fish what land is. The fish's concept will always include water and is always wrong.

So whenever I hear someone saying "God is this..." or "There is no God" all I imagine are little fishes trying to explain land.
  • deities (devas) can be evil...
  • edited April 2011
    The idea that human suffering somehow negates God seems to be completely baseless.
    Humans are responsible for their own suffering. Humans have the capacity to create heaven on Earth. It's their choice. God isn't going to burst in when things go wrong and make them "play nice", or send offenders to sit in the corner. Why do these creatures keep making such bad choices? Ego, ignorance,grasping, like the Buddha said.

• The essence of the arguement, as I understand it, is that everything comes into exsistence based on causes and conditions. If a Creator God can generate the intent to create something then he is subject to change and therefore must have a cause himself. If a Creator God is outside the laws of cause and effect then he would be unchangeable and immutable and therefore couldn't generate the intent to create.

Its a pretty hard slog to try to understand some of this stuff and I could very well be off the mark. Plus we can't actually know any of this directly until we're enlightened so there a chance all this logic misses the mark.
    In Buddhism this is what is referred to as an "imponderable", which means that it is totally beyond understanding and something that is pointless to discuss.

Beyond that, it is my understanding that in classical Buddhism the "universe" or the existence of phenomena on that scale is without beginning. The so-called "big bang" could even conceivably been an irruption of another "universe" into the one we know, so it shows that the physical phenomena are without beginning but just something that is affected by causes and conditions itself rather than having a "beginning".

In the Mahayana the "most fundamental form of consciousness" is thought to be without beginning as well. I cannot speak for Theravada.

We're talking about "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" her, IMHO. There is no creator God in Buddhism. As you say,

"I could very well be off the mark."

There is no Creator God in Buddhism. Just saying. :)
    Kill the infidel!!! Use the Shaolin Arhat fist against this heretic!!!

Anyway, believing in god is all good if it helps you to develope compassion toward other living beings (especially humans, people are the hardest to get along with!), becoming more humble and tolerant, becoming less dualistic in your thinking.

But if you turn conservative and suffer/judge others whenever it doesn't agree with your ideals, then it's probably not a healthy attachment.

I like your thinking!

In Buddhism this is what is referred to as an "imponderable", which means that it is totally beyond understanding and something that is pointless to discuss.

Beyond that, it is my understanding that in classical Buddhism the "universe" or the existence of phenomena on that scale is without beginning. The so-called "big bang" could even conceivably been an irruption of another "universe" into the one we know, so it shows that the physical phenomena are without beginning but just something that is affected by causes and conditions itself rather than having a "beginning".

In the Mahayana the "most fundamental form of consciousness" is thought to be without beginning as well. I cannot speak for Theravada.

We're talking about "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" her, IMHO. There is no creator God in Buddhism. As you say,

I disagree with you on two scores.

First, I still have a right to ponder it.

Second, if you want to believe there is no God, you have that right. If I want to believe there is, I have that right.

A fundamentalist Buddhist is no more noble than a fundamentalist Christian.

• Yes, you have a right to ponder it, and you have a right to believe it.

To be honest, I have long-term health problems that cause physical and psychological pain, so I pray every time I lie down, be it bedtime or nap.

I am nowhere near being a fundamentalist Buddhist. I was just giving you the classical point of view as I know it. In classical Buddhism, there is no Creator God, and there was no beginning to anything. That's just historical fact.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I understand vinylyns point. But its a little like a 'christian' who believes jesus was mortal. When the bible says he is the son of god.

I don't mind if such a person calls themselves a christian, just people might immediately make assumptions about what that means. And their assumption would be understandable. Like a 'vegetarian' who arbitrarily eats meat when they go out to eat. If they just said 'I am vegetarian' someone would assume they did not eat any meat.
    I understand vinylyns point. But its a little like a 'christian' who believes jesus was mortal. When the bible says he is the son of god.

I don't mind if such a person calls themselves a christian, just people might immediately make assumptions about what that means. And their assumption would be understandable. Like a 'vegetarian' who arbitrarily eats meat when they go out to eat. If they just said 'I am vegetarian' someone would assume they did not eat any meat.
    Well, guess what, I'm a Christian-Buddhist (or Buddhist-Christian). And I believe Jesus was mortal, although I leave the door open to him being more than mortal. I have no evidence in his "beyond-mortal" status, other than words in a book. As Clarence Darrow said, "The Bible is a book. It's a good book. But it's not the only book."
  • vinlyn,

Yes I am not criticizing you. I am just pointing out that people have stereotypes of who a vegetarian, buddhist, or christian is.

I am actually thinking about exploring what value the christian message could have for me or at least to better understand.
  • Jeffrey,

check out "Living Buddha, Living Christ" by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Yes, that book by Thich Nhat Hanh is quite interesting. I've even given it to a few of my Born Again Christian friends to get them to be a little more openminded.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi @Beautifully_Chaotic ,

I think that God exists because I would like those who follow God to have some form of refuge. However, I also follow the Buddhist idea that God is not an eternal being. Some Hindu and Buddhists seem to associate the inner experience with God, but that is not right from my perspective. However, that does not mean that I think it is wrong from their perspective. Basically I want all beings to be happy and whatever helps them find true happiness is good, irrespective of whether I believe in it or not.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I am nowhere near being a fundamentalist Buddhist.
    I can help you being a fundamentalist :lol:

The Buddha taught all creation is from/of mere elements (dhatu).

The creator is the process of iddappaccayata (cause & effect; inter-conditioning)

This is natural law (dhammaniyama)

To realise this is to realise emptiness (sunnata)

That reality is like this is merely 'such'; 'thus' (tathata)

It is not necessary to get rid of things to realise emptiness

Just realise all things, whether physical, mental & nibbana, are just natural elements

Natural elements = "dhamma dhatu"

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    for me god is everything. there only is god. god is also called existence. god is the infinite.

god isn't the idea of god, but it is beyond all ideas. because if an idea of god could be god, then you limit god and then you become god.

our abstracted ideas cannot be god. god is everything, thus nothing. he is the evil. he is the good. he is every single concept and he isn't every single concept. he is infinite potential. he cannot be described, but can only be pointed at.

there is only god. lol.

most people's notion of god is what they desire based on fear.
    the true god is the infinite. if not, why call him god?

god is not separate from you and i. we are god because we are existence.

This is my interpretation too. Buddhists call it Dhamma instead of God, you could call it nature, but it is the same thing. :) Spinoza's God model it is sometimes called.

I think no Buddhist is going to stab you for this (provided he/she didn't forget the precepts :D )

Some Christians also start to think in this direction.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    edited April 2011
    @Sabre and @taiyaki :thumbup:
    The essence of the arguement, as I understand it, is that everything comes into exsistence based on causes and conditions. If a Creator God can generate the intent to create something then he is subject to change and therefore must have a cause himself. If a Creator God is outside the laws of cause and effect then he would be unchangeable and immutable and therefore couldn't generate the intent to create.

Yeah, I probably should have just stuck to my original response instead of trying to explain something I don't have a firm grasp of.

From a personal point of view I don't believe in the Christian view of God, salvation, the afterlife, etc. because it essentially gives us what amounts to the blink of an eye to determine the outcome of our entire eternity. Some people are born into loving, Christian families so they should have a really easy time of spending eternity in heaven. Others are born into loving, Buddhist families, abusive, Christian families or in the middle of the Amazon where there is no Christian teaching so they will likely spend an eternity in hell. The scales of justice on this are so rediculously out of whack that I can't take it seriously.

I believe there is some arguement that people born into a place where they have zero exposure to the bible get a free pass or something, but this seems like just a made up justification with no basis in the bible. I could be wrong about some or all of this point though.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    There is nothing wrong with Christianity that a little investigation wouldn't cure. The difficulty arises where believers (in anything) simply stop investigating and nest in the comforts of belief.

So long as anyone does no more than believe or disbelieve in things, for exactly that long there will be discomfort and doubt.
    There is nothing wrong with Christianity that a little investigation wouldn't cure. The difficulty arises where believers (in anything) simply stop investigating and nest in the comforts of belief.

So long as anyone does no more than believe or disbelieve in things, for exactly that long there will be discomfort and doubt.

I agree, while pointing out that the same can be said of every single religion.
    We all may wish to read the new edition of Time magazine. It's cover story is "Is Hell Dead?". I am looking forward to picking it up.
  • Natural elements is sparkling jewels and also cow pooh. All suchness.
  • Eventually, we discover that even for our Christian friends, "faith" requires the complete acceptance of no-God...and absolute comfort with the possibility of a godless universe. Otherwise it is merely dogma, not faith. Thomas Merton did a great job explaining this. My grandmother instilled a strong god construct in my brain starting with age 3. It will likely never be completely gone from my mind, which is perfectly fine. Neither will most artifacts of my western culture, language, personality traits, or any other aspects of my conditioned being. Not unless I become an arahant, which is not likely to happen today LOL. Acceptance of who one is in the here and now--that is the practice.

Buddhism is decidedly non-theistic, not atheistic. God concepts are just another piece of "noise" in the mind. Even if there is some transcendent supreme intelligence or gods or devas or hungry ghosts, etc. It really doesn't matter, because it has nothing to do with the path of nibbana and the cessation of kamma. My believing or not believing in a God doesn't change whether or not there is one. :) Gently releasing those mental constructs is just a part of the joyful work we do. These things may never go away completely, but after 20 years of sitting practice, I can tell you they fade from importance, as do so many attachments. It is okay if I do not fully cross the stream in this lifetime. I am wading in that stream, and it is healing and liberating nonetheless.

• edited April 2011
    Beautifully Chaotic,

No matter what idea you put forth (how can there be a God given there are "people born with such horrible diseases or defects") theology eel wriggles its way past your logic and reason. Example: Since God is omniscient, his ways are beyond your current level of understanding.

It is best not to attempt to make any sense out of God constructs in the mind, because there is no sense to be had. God constructs are much like koans--the realization from Christian mystics as well as Buddhists, is that the ego wants to hold onto one's conditioned concepts of God, but awakening is about releasing, not clinging. The cloud of unknowing is a gate for liberation.

I agree, while pointing out that the same can be said of every single religion.
    I'm sorry. I thought I had pointed that out. No harm in underlining it, though.
    Eventually, we discover that even for our Christian friends, "faith" requires the complete acceptance of no-God...and absolute comfort with the possibility of a godless universe. Otherwise it is merely dogma, not faith. Thomas Merton did a great job explaining this. My grandmother instilled a strong god construct in my brain starting with age 3. It will likely never be completely gone from my mind, which is perfectly fine. Neither will most artifacts of my western culture, language, personality traits, or any other aspects of my conditioned being. Not unless I become an arahant, which is not likely to happen today LOL. Acceptance of who one is in the here and now--that is the practice.

Buddhism is decidedly non-theistic, not atheistic. God concepts are just another piece of "noise" in the mind. Even if there is some transcendent supreme intelligence or gods or devas or hungry ghosts, etc. It really doesn't matter, because it has nothing to do with the path of nibbana and the cessation of kamma. My believing or not believing in a God doesn't change whether or not there is one. :) Gently releasing those mental constructs is just a part of the joyful work we do. These things may never go away completely, but after 20 years of sitting practice, I can tell you they fade from importance, as do so many attachments. It is okay if I do not fully cross the stream in this lifetime. I am wading in that stream, and it is healing and liberating nonetheless.

Don't pretend to dismiss Christian dogma when you simply express Buddhist dogma.
  • There is nothing wrong with Christianity that a little investigation wouldn't cure. The difficulty arises where believers (in anything) simply stop investigating and nest in the comforts of belief.

Excellent points.

But I might point out the difference between Churchianity and Christianity. What the Church teaches has nothing to do with what Jesus taught.

Excellent points.

But I might point out the difference between Churchianity and Christianity. What the Church teaches has nothing to do with what Jesus taught.

I like that, Pineblossom.

What the Church teaches has nothing to do with what Jesus taught.

Pineblossom -- With respect, I find this a bit too facile. The same charge might easily be leveled in Buddhism. Belief, disbelief, talk, philosophy, rules and regs are all useful but tentative matters. I think that anyone might find some fruitful uses for what is tentative... not forever and ever, but for the moment.

People sometimes needle Christians, for example, with observations like, "Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car." Such observations point appropriately to the fact that appearances don't really get to the heart of the matter.

But appearances are part of the learning curve, for Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Jains, Jews, Muslims and who knows how many other persuasions. Appearances are part of the starting point. It's like the old rivalry between orthodoxy and mystics. The former relies on form. The latter relies on direct understanding. Each has good reason to be skeptical of the other and yet without going through the fine print of each approach, the devotee is left floundering -- spouting virtuous nonsense without any connection to the earth.

Jesus pointed to experience. Gautama pointed towards experience. Each offered suggestions on how to actualize that experience. Some take the suggestions seriously. Some choose to remain mired in tentative words and forms... and seem to amass an endless array of excuses for why they must remain mired.

The main function of discerning mistakes like this boils down, as far as I can see, to this: Just don't YOU get mired down.
  • god is emptiness - emptiness is god.

Emptiness is what all phenomenon emerges from and returns to - call it what we will....

omg.gif 66.6K