Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there a contradiction when someone quotes the Kalama sutta?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Kalama sutta.

This must be one of the most often quoted passage
in the forum. Some people dont know its called kalama sutta
but agrees totally with its message.
Have you ever wondered where it came from?
It came from the pali canon. Buddha said it.

So, when some one says I reject a Buddhist sutta because kalama sutta
says I can/should, is there a contradiction? since the kalama sutta
itself is a sutta.

What if I reject the kalama sutta? How do we know Buddha actually
said it?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Well, I think the answer here is going to vary a great deal, depending on how one looks at Buddhism.

For example, does the person believe that the Dhamma is the exact words of Buddha? Frankly, I just don't think that is logical when you look at the history of the Dhamma.

But beyond that, does one look at the Buddha's teachings as "rules and regulations" or "guides"?
  • The contradiction ceases to exist with a correct understanding of the Kalama Suttra. (We had a thread analyzing it, recently). The Kalama Suttra was a teaching the Buddha gave the Kalamas when they asked him how to discern between authentic teachers and false teachers. It was instruction in discernment, so that they wouldn't fall under the influence of charlatans. When read carefully, it's clear that the teaching wasn't intended to say that the Buddha's own teachings should be questioned. It appears that the suttra has been misunderstood and misrepresented. Read it yourself, and see what you think.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The final piece of advice that I was given before going up to Oxford was "Never take advice", thus sending me into existential doubt very like Swindon's "Magic Roundabout".

And let us not forget the pearl of truth embedded in The Life of Brian:

• The Kalama sutra is useful for pointing out to scriptural authoritarians that their putative authority undercuts itself.

You're right: its provenance is just as suspect as the rest of the tipitaka. But for anyone with the courage to accept this obvious fact, its message regarding scriptural authoritarianism is already clear.
  • Although this discourse is often cited as the Buddha's carte blanche for following one's own sense of right and wrong, it actually says something much more rigorous than that.
    One's own preferences are NOT to be followed simply because they seem logical or resonate with one's feelings.
  • Although this discourse is often cited as the Buddha's carte blanche for following one's own sense of right and wrong...
    The carte blanche doesn't come from the Buddha, it comes from personal liberty. :)

But if you have no faith in your own discernment, it might be best to abdicate responsibility to some parental figure, I suppose.
  • Buddhism isn't an airtight theory so you will have to experiment with when to apply the kalama sutra. Does it seem logically sound? Any time you try to enforce things with a heavy rather than sensitive hand it breeds paradox.
  • I agree, @Jeffrey, and would add that paradox is among the deep lessons of the sutra. Few things are quite so amusing (now that I no longer find it annoying) as people trying to apply Kalama doubt with a heavy hand. In the end, that can only lead to Cartesian doubt and look where that has led us.
  • edited April 2011
    ....In the end, that can only lead to Cartesian doubt and look where that has led us.
    ?????? :scratch:

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The context of the Kalama sutta was that it was not instruction to Buddha's followers. It was instructions to people who did not know who or what to follow. It was instruction for Non-Buddhists. He said quite different things to his followers if I remember correctly.
  • The context of the Kalama sutta was that it was not instruction to Buddha's followers. It was instructions to people who did not know who or what to follow. It was instruction for Non-Buddhists. He said quite different things to his followers if I remember correctly.
    I agree with this, as I explained earlier. The Kalama Suttra was instruction in discernment between authentic teachers and charlatans. It was not about doubting the Buddha's own teachings. A careful reading of the suttra will reveal this.

The context of the Kalama sutta was that it was not instruction to Buddha's followers. It was instructions to people who did not know who or what to follow. It was instruction for Non-Buddhists. He said quite different things to his followers if I remember correctly.
    I agree with this, as I explained earlier. The Kalama Suttra was instruction in discernment between authentic teachers and charlatans. It was not about doubting the Buddha's own teachings. A careful reading of the suttra will reveal this.

But I have a bit of a problem with the thinking of that. It's sort of like a king telling people to question everything they read or hear, but not to question what I say because I am omnipotent.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A careful reading of the sutta reveals no such thing.

The Buddha never stated nor implied anywhere in that teaching, that his wordss would or should be exempt from such scrutiny. He was an Authentic teacher, not a charlatan, but he exhorted them to discern this for themselves. They could just as easily have dismissed his teachings, but discerned that it would not be a good idea to do so.
    Doubtless he does give his followers different teachings - but they are already his followers, through personal choice and discernment.

• I think this is one of those points that's up for interpretation. He didn't say anything about his own teachings, because that wasn't the context in which he gave the instructions. How the Kalamas should relate to his own teachings wasn't relevant. They asked him how they should tell a sincere and qualified monk from a charlatan, and he answered their question, it's that simple. There was a thread just a few weeks ago devoted to precisely this question.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The context of his instructions was general and impartial. He didn't not say anything about them, and never specifically alluded to them.
    He generalised and taught that they should use intelligent discernment at all times.
    Not "particularly with me" nor "except with me".

If he had meant either option, I'm sure there would be reference.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Find out for yourself, I think this is very wise. Actually it's the very thing that brought me to Buddhism. I didn't need any sutta to for that. :D If you need to refer to a sutta as the only thing that supports your view, that means you maybe don't think for yourself or talk with your own knowledge. Even if this is the Kalama sutta :crazy:

So yes in a way there is some contradiction when quoting this sutta. :D Nice one.
    Find out for yourself, I think this is very wise. Actually it's the very thing that brought me to Buddhism. I didn't need any sutta to for that. :D If you need to refer to a sutta as the only thing that supports your view, that means you maybe don't think for yourself or talk with your own knowledge. Even if this is the Kalama sutta :crazy:

So yes in a way there is some contradiction when quoting this sutta. :D Nice one.
    I liked the way you phrased this.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I just looked up the Kalama Suttra and commentary on wikipedia. It says the Kalamas told the Buddha that many wandering holy men and ascetics were coming around, claiming to have the truth, and they asked him how they should know which were the real deal and which were fakes. so the Buddha gave them guidelines. Given that context, it seems clear he was teaching about how to discern between genuine and false holy men and ascetics. Context is important in interpreting any teaching, including the Kalama Suttra. Later commentators have said that this teaching wasn't an invitation to "radical scepticism". maybe this is an argument that will never be resolved. in any case, I'd think that any intelligent person would test teachings and ask questions, we don't need to be told to do that, do we? :-/ Unless we approach Buddhism as a religion, like so many followers do. but we've already had threads on that topic.
    I just looked up the Kalama Suttra and commentary on wikipedia. It says the Kalamas told the Buddha that many wandering holy men and ascetics were coming around, claiming to have the truth, and they asked him how they should know which were the real deal and which were fakes. so the Buddha gave them guidelines. Given that context, it seems clear he was teaching about how to discern between genuine and false holy men and ascetics. Context is important in interpreting any teaching, including the Kalama Suttra. Later commentators have said that this teaching wasn't an invitation to "radical scepticism". maybe this is an argument that will never be resolved. in any case, I'd think that any intelligent person would test teachings and ask questions, we don't need to be told to do that, do we? :-/ Unless we approach Buddhism as a religion, like so many followers do. but we've already had threads on that topic.
    I think you make several very good points here, and what you said brings up a question that may be worth discussing in this thread.

The good points you make include:
    1. I agree with your point about "radical skepticism" (good phrase!). Despite the length and depth of the Dhamma, I don't think it answers all questions that one might have. We have to interpret with the Dhamma's guidance. And yet, I see some posters on the forum bringing up such "way out" ideas about Buddha's teachings to justify almost anything (for example the use of drugs). It's not that they can't have their own views or even bring them up for discussion, but some of the things I see being attributed to Buddhism is just waaaaay too far out.
    2. I also think you are right -- whether one looks at Buddhism as a religion or a philosophy (or both) -- that there are discussions/arguments that will never be resolved.

The question that comes to my mind (and I already know what my view is) is -- does Buddhism have the answers to all that is important in life?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

The question that comes to my mind (and I already know what my view is) is -- does Buddhism have the answers to all that is important in life?
    I think this question brings us back to the suttric quote where the Buddha says he's seen and understood many things, but only teaches a portion of his knowledge, because that small portion is what's relevant to the cessation of suffering. So he doesn't try to address all that's important in life, and besides, everyone's definition of what's important would differ. For example, for some people it's important to believe in a supreme deity or deities.

I think this question brings us back to the suttric quote where the Buddha says he's seen and understood many things, but only teaches a portion of his knowledge, because that small portion is what's relevant to the cessation of suffering. So he doesn't try to address all that's important in life, and besides, everyone's definition of what's important would differ. For example, for some people it's important to believe in a supreme deity or deities.
    Very well-phrased response, and very similar to my thinking.
  • The context of his instructions was general and impartial. He didn't not say anything about them, and never specifically alluded to them.
    He generalised and taught that they should use intelligent discernment at all times.

This supports my point, exactly. The situation he addressed with his teaching was very specific: how to distinguish true sages from the false sages traveling the country giving teachings. The Buddha's instructions addressed that specific concern that the Kalamas raised. He did not say, "And by the way, apply these criteria to me and my teachings as well." The criteria he gave were intended to be applied to others, not himself, or he would have said so. I think this point has been made quite clearly here.

The context of his instructions was general and impartial. He didn't not say anything about them, and never specifically alluded to them.

This supports my point, exactly. The situation he addressed with his teaching was very specific: how to distinguish true sages from the false sages traveling the country giving teachings. The Buddha's instructions addressed that specific concern that the Kalamas raised. He did not say, "And by the way, apply these criteria to me and my teachings as well." The criteria he gave were intended to be applied to others, not himself, or he would have said so. I think this point has been made quite clearly here.

Compassionate warrior, if you are correct, then this is a teaching of Buddha that I do not respect. It would mean that Buddha thought that only his wisdom was real and true.

How can we say in this day what other teachers may have been teaching?

I really dislike that you have Buddha taking a stance that is similar to the Catholic Church about its teachings.
  • edited April 2011
    I think we shouldn't read anything into his teaching to the Kalamas, which he gave in response to a specific request about a certain problem they were facing. Possibly elsewhere in the canon he spoke about testing his own teachings, but I see no evidence that he did that in the Kalama Suttra. That doesn't necessarily mean he thought his teachings were infallible, it just means that question wasn't addressed in this suttra.
    That I can accept...I think.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    This supports my point, exactly.
    It does nothing of the kind. At most it leaves the question open. But your interpretation would imply a disturbing double standard between the approaches Gautama recommended for his teachings versus the teachings of others. It seems exceedingly unlikely, given how reasonable he was in other specifically Buddhist contexts. E.g.
    "Monks, if anyone should speak in disparagement of me, of the Dhamma or of the Sangha, you should not be angry, resentful or upset on that account. If you were to be angry or displeased at such disparagement, that would only be a hindrance to you. For if others disparage me, the Dhamma or the Sangha, and you are angry or displeased, can you recognize whether what they say is right or not?" ‘No, Lord.’ "If others disparage me, the Dhamma or the Sangha, then you must explain what is incorrect as being incorrect", saying: ‘That is incorrect, that is false, that is not our way, that is not found among us.’

"But, monks, if others should speak in praise of me, of the Dhamma or of the Sangha, you should not on that account be pleased, happy or elated. If you were to be pleased, happy or elated at such praise, that would only be a hindrance to you. If others praise me, the Dhamma or the Sangha, you should acknowledge the truth of what is true, saying: ‘That is correct, that is right, that is our way, that is found among us’.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The Kalama Sutra is nothing short of a concise outline of Buddhism itself.

Let's look at it section by section, using Access to Insight translation: http://bit.ly/LDkIy

Part 1 - Buddha vists "Kesaputta, a town of the Kalamas". These people, acknowledging Buddha's "fine reputation", come to hear him. They explain how different teachers have come previously, and each one seems to discredit the other. In the light of this they ask him: "Which of these venerable priests & contemplatives are speaking the truth, and which ones are lying?"

Part 2 - Buddha empathises then replies that, in judging the worthiness of teachings, they should not go “by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability" or simply because they are your teacher. Instead, one should judge one's action according to whether "when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering".

Part 3 - Buddha now details what qualities and activities specifically lead to harm and suffering. In short, they are: greed, hatred & delusion.

Part 4 - Buddha now explains that the practictioner who is “devoid of greed, devoid of ill will, undeluded, alert, & resolute” will attain “an awareness imbued with good will … compassion … appreciation … and equanimity” and which is “abundant, expansive, immeasurable, free from hostility, free from ill will.”

Part 5 - Buddha now discusses the “four assurances” that result when one's mind is “free from hostility, free from ill will, undefiled, & pure”. These are that 1. If there is a world after death and one does well, one goes to heaven, OR 2. If there is no world after death (an interesting comment for the rebirth debate - but let's keep it on topic!) then one still enjoys the benefits in this life. 3. That even if my actions cause harm, I will not suffer because my intention were good, OR 4. If my actions do not cause harm, I remain pure in intention and result.

So:

Is the Kalama Sutra a carte blanche to simply “do what you feel is right” and call it Buddhism?

No.

Far from it, the Kalama Sutra is in fact a beautifully concise Buddhist teaching on suffering and the attainments one may gain by eliminating qualities which lead to suffering. According to Buddha, it is by this yardstick (suffering) that ALL teachings must be judged.

Namaste
    Thank you Daozen. Very comprehensive. I look forward to the responses.
  • The context of the Kalama sutta was that it was not instruction to Buddha's followers. It was instructions to people who did not know who or what to follow. It was instruction for Non-Buddhists. He said quite different things to his followers if I remember correctly.
    What were these "quite different things" that he said to his followers? Can you give us more information, Seeker? This might help clarify the issue.

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The Kalama Sutra is nothing short of a concise outline of Buddhism itself.
    Yes, but in this context, that's a red herring. The relevant part of the sutra for this question is the following:
    "Of course you are uncertain, Kalamas. Of course you are in doubt. When there are reasons for doubt, uncertainty is born. So in this case, Kalamas, don't go by reports, by legends, by traditions, by scripture, by logical conjecture, by inference, by analogies, by agreement through pondering views, by probability, or by the thought, 'This contemplative is our teacher.' When you know for yourselves that, 'These qualities are unskillful; these qualities are blameworthy; these qualities are criticized by the wise; these qualities, when adopted & carried out, lead to harm & to suffering' — then you should abandon them.
    The question this thread started with was "...when some one says I reject a Buddhist sutta because kalama sutta says I can/should, is there a contradiction?" When someone reasons this way, they are clearly appealing to the section I just quoted, not the subsequent outline of Buddhist theory.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2011
    When someone reasons this way, they are clearly appealing to the section I just quoted, not the subsequent outline of Buddhist theory.
    And that is their mistake - not reading the sutra in its entire context.

And yet, even in the passage you highlight it is quite clear that Buddha makes suffering the ultimate yardstick - as he does throughout his teachings. In so doing, he is both urging a healthy skepticism of false teachings (ie, those that do not use suffering as their measure) and also very much giving a classic Buddhist teaching at the same time. Never does he suggest that his (Buddha's) teachings should be doubted.
    When someone reasons this way, they are clearly appealing to the section I just quoted, not the subsequent outline of Buddhist theory.

And yet, even in the passage you highlight it is quite clear that Buddha makes suffering the ultimate yardstick - as he does throughout his teachings. In so doing, he is both urging a healthy skepticism of false teachings (ie, those that do not use suffering as their measure) and also very much giving a classic Buddhist teaching at the same time. Never does he suggest that his (Buddha's) teachings should be doubted.
    To me, the way you describe it, it seems as if Buddha was egotistical.
  • And that is their mistake - not reading the sutra in its entire context.
    How does the broader context undermine that line of reasoning?
  • I believe buddha said elsewhere to test his teachings as (a miner?) tests ore for gold.

Here from the buddha I assume the reference refers to a sutra:

O monks, just as a goldsmith tests his gold by melting, cutting and rubbing,
    sages accept my teachings after full examination, and not just out of devotion.
    Tattvasamgraha

These teachings are like a raft, to be abandoned once you have crossed the flood.
    Since you should abandon even good states of mind generated by these teachings,
    How much more so should you abandon bad states of mind!
    ~Buddha not referenced :(

Even is he is fond of quoting appropriate texts (and scriptures), the thoughtless man who does not put them into practice himself is like a cowherd counting other people's cows, not a partner in the holy life.
    The Buddha (Dhammapada)

Suttas are not meant to be 'sacred scriptures' that tell us what to believe. One should read them, listen to them, think about them, contemplate them, and investigate the present reality, the present experience with them. Then, and only then, can one insightfully know the truth beyond words.
    Venerable Sumedho
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    If it seems so to you, the fault is entirely mine, not Buddha's. How can Buddha teaching Buddhism be egotistical?
    How does the broader context undermine that line of reasoning?
    This "line of reasoning" is really no such thing, but rather a misreading. Buddha says - in the very section you highlighted - that qualities which lead to suffering are to be abandoned. The broader context gives further details about those qualities and the benefits of abandoning them.
    If it seems so to you, the fault is entirely mine, not Buddha's. How can Buddha teaching Buddhism be egotistical?

So, forget we're talking about Buddha. Instead we're talking about a king. And the King says, "Don't just believe everything someone else tells you. Question everything. Except don't question me because I am always right, without question." You're telling me that principle does not show egotism?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    The thing is, we're not talking about a King. This is the Buddha, the Enlightened One, teaching to people after his enlightenment.

He doesn't say "question everything". He says "the way to judge actions/qualities is on the basis of suffering". In other words, he is giving a version of the 4 Noble Truths. Like i said, this is simply Buddha teaching Buddhism.
  • The Buddha did say to test him in the quotes I provided. You are both right. Test him on the basis of the four noble truths. The axiom is that you don't want to suffer which is pretty much the buddha nature.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    To put it in modern marketing lingo (i'm in advertising):

"Try my system for 30 days, and if you're not 100% satisfied, you'll get your money back".

Sounds corny, but it works. And that's what Buddha wanted more than anything (for people to actually try his teachings, instead of just talk about them).
  • Buddha says - in the very section you highlighted - that qualities which lead to suffering are to be abandoned. The broader context gives further details about those qualities and the benefits of abandoning them.
    Jeez, which part of "WHEN YOU KNOW FOR YOURSELVES" don't you understand?
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Fivebells, if you can't be bothered reading a full sentence, let alone a full sutra, and choose to extract the 'meaning' of said sutra from your chosen phrase ...
  • I'm not the one who's reading selectively here. The point is that you don't have to take anything in Buddhism on faith, which is what the OP was asking about. The passage explicitly invites the Kalamas to abandon unskillful behaviors etc. WHEN THEY KNOW FOR THEMSELVES. He's saying that if a teaching doesn't make sense, no one is obliged to accept it.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    What were these "quite different things" that he said to his followers? Can you give us more information, Seeker? This might help clarify the issue.

What I was thinking of were things like this where he speaks about how beneficial faith is:

"Four conditions, Vyagghapajja, conduce to a householder's weal and happiness in his future life. Which four?

"The accomplishment of faith (saddha-sampada), the accomplishment of virtue (sila-sampada), the accomplishment of charity (caga-sampada) and the accomplishment of wisdom (pañña-sampada).

"What is the accomplishment of faith?

"Herein a householder is possessed of faith, he believes in the Enlightenment of the Perfect One (Tathagata): Thus, indeed, is that Blessed One: he is the pure one, fully enlightened, endowed with knowledge and conduct, well-gone, the knower of worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, all-knowing and blessed. This is called the accomplishment of faith.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.054.nara.html

And other similar teachings. Skeptical doubt is considered one of the ten fetters and is something to eventually be abandoned.

This is a very good commentary on this sutta I think, with an excerpt below:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/bodhi/bps-essay_09.html

Now does the Kalama Sutta suggest, as is often held, that a follower of the Buddhist path can dispense with all faith and doctrine, that he should make his own personal experience the criterion for judging the Buddha's utterances and for rejecting what cannot be squared with it? It is true the Buddha does not ask the Kalamas to accept anything he says out of confidence in himself, but let us note one important point: the Kalamas, at the start of the discourse, were not the Buddha's disciples. They approached him merely as a counselor who might help dispel their doubts, but they did not come to him as the Tathagata, the Truth-finder, who might show them the way to spiritual progress and to final liberation.

Thus, because the Kalamas had not yet come to accept the Buddha in terms of his unique mission, as the discloser of the liberating truth, it would not have been in place for him to expound to them the Dhamma unique to his own Dispensation: such teachings as the Four Noble Truths, the three characteristics, and the methods of contemplation based upon them. These teachings are specifically intended for those who have accepted the Buddha as their guide to deliverance, and in the suttas he expounds them only to those who "have gained faith in the Tathagata" and who possess the perspective necessary to grasp them and apply them.

They way I see it, once a person has accepted the Buddha as the fully enlightened one who speaks the truth and nothing but the truth, the doubting that the Kalama sutta suggests is no longer necessary and actually becomes a hindrance from that point on. AKA the 2nd fetter.

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The point is that you don't have to take anything in Buddhism on faith.
    Not true. At the very least, we must have faith in the words of Buddha himself. Faith is also considered one of the 5 spiritual faculties (saddh-indriya).
    He's saying that if a teaching doesn't make sense, no one is obliged to accept it.
    It's not about obligation. He's saying "if you do try it, you'll see i'm right".

• Is sradda translated very aptly as faith? In my teachers teaching as I understand sradda is a counterpart to prajna. Prajna is the intelligence which aprehends messages from reality which are pertinent to our objectives. Sradda is how that information is embodied into the being or practice. A being with a lot of sradda and little prajna is practicing pretty mechanically though intently without thinking very alively.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I'm not the one who's reading selectively here. The point is that you don't have to take anything in Buddhism on faith, which is what the OP was asking about. The passage explicitly invites the Kalamas to abandon unskillful behaviors etc. WHEN THEY KNOW FOR THEMSELVES. He's saying that if a teaching doesn't make sense, no one is obliged to accept it.
    Maybe Buddha thought that all of his teachings must make sense to anyone that reflected on them, and thats why he used the phrase "when they know for themself", So its not inconceivable to suggest that Buddha was so confident in his teachings (which of course he should be) that no one could refute them when reflected upon.

Anyway this is speculation, who knows what Buddha's intentions were when giving this teaching. I do know however that Buddha is cited as saying this

"Bhikkhus, do not address my by the name Gotama nor as friend. I have become a Perfect One, worthy of the greatest reverence. Supremely accomplished like the Buddhas of yore, fully Enlightened. Give ear, Bhikkhus, the Deathless has been gained, the Immortal has been won by me. I shall instruct you and teach you the Doctrine. If you practise as instructed by me, you will in a short time, and in the present life, through your own direct knowledge, realize, enter upon and abide in Arahatship, the Nibbãna, the ultimate and the noblest goal of the Holy life for the sake of which clansmen of good families go forth from the household life into homeless one."

in the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/damachak.pdf

http://www.buddhanet.net/wheeld01.htm

which suggests to me that he thought by following his all of his teachings and not only the one's you agree with you could achieve Nibbana. Of course I might be wrong.

With Metta

• Khenpo Rinpoche says that the realization of sravaka emptiness which corresponds to emptiness of the skandas may easily be refuted at the outset. But that if one keeps an open mind and meditates and practices for a long time that certainty in the emptiness can be attained. This is consistent with realization not being intellectual. Because if it was intellectual you would just need to have faith that the skandas are not self. Really we need more than faith but the faith allows us to practice and keep an open mind, even though as a theory alone sravaka emptiness can be discarded. As in, no I am my body because I can feel my body.
    The point is that you don't have to take anything in Buddhism on faith.
    Not true. At the very least, we must have faith in the words of Buddha himself. Faith is also considered one of the 5 spiritual faculties (saddh-indriya).
    He's saying that if a teaching doesn't make sense, no one is obliged to accept it.
    It's not about obligation. He's saying "if you do try it, you'll see i'm right".

You say, "we must have faith in the words of Buddha himself".

Or what? We'll be punished? Sent to hell? That's issue number 1, in my view. when people talk about this sutta. People like you saying "must" as if it's a absolute command.

And although you don't say it here, many people with your view of the sutta say we MUST consider, test, contemplate...and then accept every word of Buddha's teaching. Which is a false promise -- feel free to debate within yourself the teachings, THEN you MUST accept them 100%.

• Of course you must have faith in the words of the Buddha himself if you want to practice the Buddha's teaching.

Isn't it stupid to not have faith in the words of the Buddha and yet call yourself a Buddhist or student/practitioner of Buddhism?

It's like doubting your flying instructor's teachings and still calling yourself a trainee pilot.
    Of course you must have faith in the words of the Buddha himself if you want to practice the Buddha's teaching.

Isn't it stupid to not have faith in the words of the Buddha and yet call yourself a Buddhist or student/practitioner of Buddhism?

It's like doubting your flying instructor's teachings and still calling yourself a trainee pilot.
    I think saying something another person believes is stupid is a bad choice of words. Because look at what I could say in return -- your blind faith is stupid. Such statements get us nowhere.

What you're saying is sort of like an American loving his country, but saying he doesn't agree with the war in Iraq, so therefore he's not an American. A very Nixonian way of looking at things. Love it or leave it.

I respect Buddha's teachings and accept a vast majority of what he taught. But his teaching aren't commandments. They're guides to achieving nibanna/enlightenment. As I have read sections of the text of the Dhamma, I try to keep in mind that these "words of Buddha" were not written down until almost 500 years after his death. Ever play the rumor game?

Your viewpoint, which almost seems to be "all or nothing at all" is not much different than that of many Born Again Christians or the Branch Davidians. It's your right to think as you do. But it seems to me that you have placed Buddha on a holy throne, and I've never seen that as the purpose of Buddhism. I can accept Buddha as one of the wisest people in world history. I don't feel the need to turn him into an infallible pope.