Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why meditate, a modern perspective

personperson Don't believe everything you thinkThe liminal space Veteran
edited April 2011 in Meditation
This is a great explanation for the value of meditation in modern life, thought I'd share.

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Always a pleasure to listen to Matthieu Ricard. There's a reason he's been called "the happiest person in the world."
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for sharing!
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    Really appreciate you linking that vid.
  • The irony today is we need meditation more than ever before, yet we seemingly have little or no "time." Understandably, it can be difficult in today's world to actually sit down, close your eyes, and meditate totally undisturbed (especially if you have children or live in a noisy neighborhood)

I really think the modern emphasis should be placed on really "being" at one with your currently activity, whether you are reading, posting on NewBuddhist.com, or simply gardening. You can achieve a meditation-like state while doing these activities. This is the essence of the zen lifestyle...
  • In this modern world with so many distractions,full of material things all around us,no time to spare with our busy lives,how does one find the time to meditate.The answer is we do not just give up,but find what precious moments we have spare and just sit or stand in complete silence,empty our mind and just listen to the silence,trying to achieve the Buddha mind,even if it is less than half an hour,with no distractions.Meditation is a great benefit to us,in many ways,it can take us away from our cravings and lifes difficulties.
  • The benefits I see in the modern world and kinda the viewpoint that I am taking is that meditation is essential for us to truly live our lives. Regardless of suffering and emptiness.

Ive been learning how to do one thing at a time fully engaged rather than multiple things poorly. Also our lives are filled with distractions and we must learn to see them as distractions that keep pulling our attention. Meditation is working out the power to be in this moment....to actually live.
  • This is a great explanation for the value of meditation in modern life, thought I'd share.

I guess by 'modern life' you mean the general rat race that proclaims 'self' is all important. Eliminate that concept and the rest will fall into place - with or without meditation.

You don't 'do' meditation to fix the problem of 'modern' living.
  • thanks for a link
  • Definitely going to listen more to this guy. He talks so logically and straightforward
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Definitely going to listen more to this guy. He talks so logically and straightforward
    You tube change your mind, change your brain
  • Definitely going to listen more to this guy. He talks so logically and straightforward
    You tube change your mind, change your brain
    Haha. I already did a bit ago, still listening to it now. :)

• Usually I can't be bothered to make the effort of focusing for more than a couple minutes when it comes to YouTube videos (and most other things too. ADD maybe?), but this being about meditation, I watched the whole thing and I couldn't be happier that I did.

He puts things very clearly and I can see how this video could sway someone who's undecided about meditation, into starting their practice once and for all without any further excuses. He makes it sounds like something we all need and something so worthy of the effort we put in. He makes it sound like it's almost idiotic to NOT want to meditate. Haha.

I found it commendable that he could convey his ideas that eloquently, even if English obviously isn't his first language. I always have respect for people who can do that, as English isn't my first language either and sometimes I fall short of expressing my thoughts in a way that satisfies me.