Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If we must eliminate the "Self" to reach Enlightenment, then what is Nirvana like?

edited April 2011 in Philosophy
While meditating tonight, I asked myself why I'm constantly so melancholy. Obviously it has to be clinging. So after asking myself what I've been clinging to, I assumed it must be my sense of self.

I've always had the impression that to reach Nirvana, we must eliminate the idea of having our own personalities, as that has to do with permanence and the like. But what I'm wondering is this: If we get rid of our "selves" to reach Nirvana, then how exactly do we live afterwards?

Does my question make any sense? I know it makes sense in my mind... :-/

Comments

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    First walk up that mountain, then you'll see the view.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi Dark Princess,

There is no need to eliminate a "self". The false view that there is an unchanging, unconditioned "self" or "soul" in the first place is what we need to eliminate.

There is nothing wrong with having personality. The problems arise when we believe that our personality is who we really are. If we see that personality is conditioned, like everything else, then we don't give personalities more importance than they deserve.

Metta,

Guy
  • Let go of needing to disturb melancholy. The struggle is the pain. Melancholy cannot spoil it and you can go into it and make it workable. I struggle too however.
  • If you strive to reach nirvana you won't reach that state of mind. You need to let go, stop clinging to everything, even your meditation. Just sit. As for what is nirvana like, I am pretty sure nobody here knows exactly
  • understanding anatta is a prerequisite for Nirvana.
    for now, just don't overthink it and remember that the goal of understanding anatta is to be free from suffering.
  • all beliefs keep you from realizing what is. thus abandon all beliefs, especially ones about enlightenment.

the buddha operates from being and does what is most obvious in the given situation. thus when the buddha is hungry, he/she eats. when the buddha is hot, he/she goes into the shade. when the buddha puts his/her hand in the fire, the buddha pulls away. you could call it pure instinct or pure intuition. when the buddha needs to think, he/she thinks.

from a state of being (important to note that there is not a person being or a being there just is being) arises doing.
    the buddha does verbs. meaning instead of he is walking. it's correct to say there is just walking. so walking. notice how there is a lack of subject and just the verb. that is the best way to describe it. there is only the process of doing. in doing the buddha doesn't look for results, thus in non-intention. the buddha isn't goal oriented. the buddha just does because the action has to happen. whether it is the correct action or not, the buddha does not care. for the buddha there is only perfection. it may seem like imperfection from our perspective but that is our projection of flaws. the buddha is flawless because he doesn't even define anything as such. thus the buddha only sees the buddha.

you could even say that the buddha is you already. you are conscious at times. you are here already. you see your thoughts and feelings. keep letting go of beliefs and ideas and see reality as it is. then you will wake up to what is.

metta
  • I guess if you practicing having concerns for others all the time, you will stop worrying about yourself and all the depressing stuff that goes along with it. Thus non-self.
  • edited April 2011
    As for what is nirvana like, I am pretty sure nobody here knows exactly
    That would imply you know. :)
    When we see a fire go out or how something hot is cooling, we recognize the meaning of Nibbana. When we take a bath or eat an ice cream or a gust of wind cools us or when it rains, we can take the opportunity to recognize the meaning of Nibbana. When the fever goes down or the swelling diminishes and the headache ceases, by these events, we are again pointed at the meaning of Nibbana. When we sweat, sleep or get satiated, we are reminded of the meaning of Nibbana. Then we see its meaning, when we witness how animals are tamed and after that no longer are wild or dangerous. These examples are lessons that each time help us understand the nature of Nibbana. Our mind is regularly inclined to be content with Nibbana, and that helps the mind to easier flow down the way to Nibbana.
  • It takes a long time. I am just overcoming this. You can try and try. I first tried to go into my body and feel that. It was interesting and felt better immediately. The mind gets distant from the body.

Recently I had a light enough touch that I was able to just turn off the idea of needing to get rid of my anxiety. It just turned off. When I did I really felt the anxiety as interesting butterflies in me. Just different types of butterflys than when I am feeling a crush. Or just some kind of emotion. But the judgement that it was wrong wasn't there. Amazing.

That turning off is not under my control but it comes from sort of light hearted calm and going forward. Turning into the situation bravely. I think because my dog died I had been practicing all day with crying and not trying to be any other way. Just letting all the waves and storms unfold.

So I think you can retrain yourself. But it might take 2 or 3 years. :(
  • ThailandTom said:

As for what is nirvana like, I am pretty sure nobody here knows exactly

hahaha, yes. I have the ultimate awakened mind and and liberated fully. I know exactly what it is like :) ..... image
  • beingbeing Veteran
    I think GuyC put it quite nicely.

Enlightened people do have a personality. They just do not have any attachment to it. No beliefs of 'I am like this, so I must do that' etc. Not even on the subconscious level.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    If we get rid of our "selves" to reach Nirvana, then how exactly do we live afterwards?
    hi

we live, fully reliant on wisdom

but returning to the matter of "self", in Buddhism, this is something to understand via investigation or introspection

for example, when the body becomes hungry, the mind thinks "I am hungry"

when the body or legs walk, the mind thinks "I walk"

when the body breaks, the mind thinks "I breath"

when the eyes see or the ears hear, the mind thinks "I see", "I hear"

when the nervous system feels pleasure or pain, the mind thinks "I am happy"; "I hurt"

when the reproductive system has urges, the mind thinks "I need sex"

when the mind thinks, the mind thinks "I think"

when the mind has the mood of fear or confusion, the mind thinks "I am confused", "I am scared"

the arising of "self" or "I" is the mind grasping at, appropriating, identifying with and/or taking ownership/possession of experience & mind/body functions

this process of grasping can only be understood via instrospection

so after Nirvana, life goes on because the body continues to get hungry, the body continues to breath, the eyes continue to see, the ears continue to hear, the legs continue to walk, the nervous system continues to feel, perception continues to perceive (blue, green, dog, cat, etc) and the mind continues to think & use intelligence

kind regards

:)

• I've been told that Nirvana can be thought as finding a toilet after you've been holding onto a pee for a long time.

When soldiers rescue their comrades in the heat of battle with no heed for enemy fire, thats practicing non-self.
    edited April 2011
    I've been told that Nirvana can be thought as finding a toilet after you've been holding onto a pee for a long time.
    :thumbsup: :) :bowdown:
  • I read somewhere that the Buddha himself said that to think of Nirvana as a special place or a state is wrong. He came up with this word just so that people who are so used to having a goal that must be "reached", would understand him.
  • ...I asked myself why I'm constantly so melancholy. Obviously it has to be clinging. So after asking myself what I've been clinging to, I assumed it must be my sense of self.
    My experience with melancholy and my impression here suggests that you may be clinging to the sense of melancholy per se. What happens if you celebrate the melancholy as it arises?
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    >If we get rid of our "selves" to reach Nirvana, then how exactly do we live afterwards?

The same way that the Buddha lived, freed from suffering. :) After he got enlightenment, he still walked around, gave talks, laughed, begged for food, smiled at people, etc. He didn't just disappear off the face of the earth. :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    There is no self to reach nibbana, this means nibbana is impersonal.

'Mere suffering exists, no sufferer is found.
    The deed is, but no doer of the deed is there.
    Nibbána is, but not the man that enters it.
    The path is, but no traveller on it is seen.'
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Nirvana is not a notion that the self does not exist. Freedom from grasping and suffering as an experience rather than a notion is needed. Also if love is not present then freedom from suffering is not attained.

Finally in the mahayana nirvana is not just the freedom from suffering. All of the knowledge veils must also be lifted. A bodhisattva is free from suffering or at least they see through it completely.
  • before enlightenment : Chop wood, carry water
    after enlightenment : Chop wood, carry water

best regards :)
  • Great Q,

and some good answers but none answering directly the Q without mysticism or self belief.

It seems that the ultimate goal of Buddhism is Nirvana. I feel surprised that so many of us strive and long for something which we can’t even describe in a simple word.

Is this not some form of escapism?
  • Nirvana is not a notion that the self does not exist. Freedom from grasping and suffering as an experience rather than a notion is needed. Also if love is not present then freedom from suffering is not attained.

Finally in the mahayana nirvana is not just the freedom from suffering. All of the knowledge veils must also be lifted. A bodhisattva is free from suffering or at least they see through it completely.

Our emotions lead us to feel suffering. At the same time ability to feel emotions brings many good things. Nirvana? Capability to feel just positive emotions?

However, this leads to a big pitfall.

• tess,

you can describe nirvana but it only points to an experience. Just as if I taste an apple and say it tastes like a pear. That is only relevant to someone who has tasted only pears and citrus.

We have only tasted samsara so it is difficult to describe nirvana. The flipside is that we are fish and it is difficult to tell them what water is.
  • All of our emotions are distorted by grasping. The 'worst' ones are designated as bad. This is the definition of feeling in the skandas. 'good' 'bad' and 'don't' care. When we stop grasping the skandas are purified into wisdom qualities. Feeling becomes concentration.

As an aside in Tibetan there are two separate words for good emotions and bad emotions.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    deleted
  • tess,

you can describe nirvana but it only points to an experience. Just as if I taste an apple and say it tastes like a pear. That is only relevant to someone who has tasted only pears and citrus.

We have only tasted samsara so it is difficult to describe nirvana. The flipside is that we are fish and it is difficult to tell them what water is.

Very valid point.

Can you tell me: have you had / forgetting the ‘ ‘human emotions’’ / a feel or clear realization what Nirvana is?

• No but I have had moments when suffering became less and I was very happy. Things lightened up. Noticed that some times you have enthusiasm? Not excitement, I mean feel well.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Great Q,

It seems that the ultimate goal of Buddhism is Nirvana. I feel surprised that so many of us strive and long for something which we can’t even describe in a simple word.
    nibbana is peace

if you want to read more including a lot of words the Buddha used for it, you can find some information here:
    http://nichirenscoffeehouse.net/Ryuei/nirvana.html

Metta,
    Sabre
    edited April 2011
    For me, this verse is a bit dodgy

Note: the Buddha did not speak this verse

For suffering to exist, a mind must have "self-view"

Whilst ultimately, "self" is just a misinterpretation of reality, where suffering exists, a "sufferer" must exist

Where suffering exists, the sense of "me" must exist

• I love these replies. They are incredibly helpful. I guess my question had more to do with the concept of anatta rather than the state of Nirvana after anatta is reached.

So I'll ask another question instead. Is anatta reached through the loss of clinging to a personality, or simply losing the personality itself? (Because I don't see how one can't have a personality.)
  • Personality is a lable pointing to something. So if you could talk more about what you see as a personality we might look at it as the same page. And it might help you think about things to look at 'personality' with fresh eyes. Like we see a car go by on the road and we just think 'car' and not with fresh eyes.
  • Enlightened people do have a personality. They just do not have any attachment to it. No beliefs of 'I am like this, so I must do that' etc. Not even on the subconscious level.
    hi being

could you kindly explain more about what you are attempting to say about no attachment to personality?

what exactly is this "personality" you are referring to?

:confused:

for example, if we read the suttas, Sariputta often describes how his mind enters & abides in various jhanas, etc, but the thought never arises "he" abided in those jhanas

the stock phrase about Sariputta is as follows:
    it's because Ven. Sariputta's I-making & mine-making and obsessions with conceit have long been well uprooted
  • edited April 2011
    Haha that's actually a really good question. It's a shame we don't have any fully awakened buddhas to answer that question. In my opinion I feel like maybe existence before nibbana and after nibbana are exactly the same (all phenomena being dependently arisen), and that the only difference is that there is no more craving in a mind that has attained to nibbana. If there is no more craving, then there is no more cause or condition for clinging or belief in personal self. That I feel is the best answer that I can give. I feel like if the Buddha were alive to answer that question he would say not to harrass your mind with such thoughts, and then he would tell you the four noble truths which are:
    1) Dukkha (Suffering)
    2) Dukha Samudaya (The cause of suffering)
    3) Dukha Nirodha (The cessation of suffering)
    4) Dukha Nirodha Camini Patipada Magga (The way leading to the cessation of suffering).

That's all I can offer at the present moment.
    Godd luck. :)
  • Personality is a lable pointing to something. So if you could talk more about what you see as a personality we might look at it as the same page. And it might help you think about things to look at 'personality' with fresh eyes. Like we see a car go by on the road and we just think 'car' and not with fresh eyes.
    To me, a personality consists of things such as a person's sense of humor, the way they act towards others, their hobbies/interests, and the like.

Also, Tikal2012, thank you for the advice. It's hard because I want to reach Nirvana and I wanna figure out how to do it, and I feel the question is getting in my way.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    All three are spontaneous. Hobbies change more slowly, but in my life I have had many different hobbies. When I was 10 I wanted to become a professional baseball player and now I hate baseball. Actions are also developed as one learns and reframes view or uproots (or sits with) negativity. Humor is spontaneous and depends on the heart energy flowing correctly through the subtle channels.

All three are expressions but they are not the refuge. They are branches of happiness but not the root. At enlightenment the heart of wisdom from grasping is what is relied upon. All of the other things radiate from that as compassion for self and others. Even after enlightenment you will have an impermanent expression of your personality, so you don't have to lose it you just have to not take refuge in your personality itself.
  • yes, we are not all robots and do have different aspects to how we react to situations and the things we do. You will find that even monks or nuns have personalities if you talk to some of them, they appear like factory robots sometimes, but of course, they are human.
  • Sometimes at work people have to be the boss, so they put on a hat "I have to be the boss", but when they go home they take off the hat, and they no longer have to be the boss. I think the self is like this.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Nirvana is where mind goes bye-bye (thoughts of mind being an actual "thing" or separate from form). Mind is just a word that describes experiences as a whole (such experiences as sights and thoughts, with consciousness being the awareness/knowing of those experiences), but in error it is taken to be some "thing" that is separate but connected to the body.

Form experiences form; empty of self-essence, impermanent, fully interconnected and interdependent with all other form which is forever changing and can never be pinned down. There is no Self to destroy, only the thoughts or perspective of there being a Self to begin with.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2011
    For me, this verse is a bit dodgy

Note: the Buddha did not speak this verse

For suffering to exist, a mind must have "self-view"

Whilst ultimately, "self" is just a misinterpretation of reality, where suffering exists, a "sufferer" must exist

Where suffering exists, the sense of "me" must exist

whether you have a selfview or not, suffering is anatta, not me, not mine

For if it were you or yours, you can just tell your suffering to go away and it would

No agency or control therefore exists or is possible because suffering is not me, not mine

Likewise, even selfview is not me, not mine, for if it were you or yours, you can just tell your selfview to go away and you would become enlightened in a minute

But this is not possible because no agency or control exists or is possible because self-view is not me, not mine

Self-view is simply a mental formation that dependently originates without agency or self

Suffering is also a mental formation (coupled with various feelings and sensations) that dependently originates without agency or self

(This topic is elucidated in the anattalakkhana sutta)
    edited April 2011
    Xabir

Your post has dreadfully confused the Three Characteristics with the Four Noble Truths

Of course suffering can be controlled to go away thru practise.

One can become enlightened (stream entry) in a minute.

Dukkhalakkana is an insight knowledge not to be confused with dukkha as mental affliction

"All conditioned things are unsatisfactory [dukkha]" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering [dukkha]. This is the path to purification.

Maggavagga: The Path
    edited April 2011
    whether you have a self view or not, suffering is anatta, not me, not mine
    Xabir

The Buddha taught anatta so there can be freedom from self-view.

The realisation of anatta and self-view cannot exist together.

"All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.
    ...all must be regarded with proper wisdom, according to reality, thus: 'This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.'

O monks, the well-instructed noble disciple, seeing thus, gets wearied of form, gets wearied of feeling, gets wearied of perception, gets wearied of mental formations, gets wearied of consciousness. Being wearied he becomes passion-free. In his freedom from passion, he is emancipated. Being emancipated, there is the knowledge that he is emancipated. He knows: 'birth [self-view] is exhausted, lived is the holy life, what had to be done is done, there is nothing more of this becoming.'
    edited April 2011
    Suffering is also a mental formation (coupled with various feelings and sensations) that dependently originates without agency or self

This topic is elucidated in the anattalakkhana sutta)
    Xabir

This topic is elucided in the teachings on Dependent Origination, where suffering is a mental formation that dependently originates due to ignorance, as follows:
    There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form.. feeling... perception... fabricating... consciousness to be the self.

That assumption is a fabrication.

Now what is the cause, what is the origination, what is the birth, what is the coming-into-existence of that fabrication?

To an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person, touched by that which is felt born of contact with ignorance, craving arises. That fabrication is born of that.

And that fabrication is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen. That craving... That feeling... That contact... That ignorance is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.081.than.html
    So the fabrication of 'self' may originate without agency/self but the origination creates the illusion/delusion of agencey/self.

This topic is not elucidated in the Anattalakkhana Sutta.

When the Anattalakkhana Sutta speaks the following words, it is not discussing the dependent origination of dukkha. It is discussing how the five aggregates are subject to decay. The Pali word translated as "affliction" is not 'dukkha'. It is 'ābādhāya', which means 'illness' or 'disease'.

"Mental formations, O monks, are not-self; if mental formations were self, then mental formations would not lead to affliction [ābādhāya] and it should obtain regarding mental formations: 'May my perception be thus, may my mental formations not be thus'; and indeed, O monks, since mental formations are not-self, therefore, mental formations lead to affliction and it does not obtain regarding mental formations: 'May my mental formations be thus, may my mental formations not be thus.'

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.mend.html
    Sangkhārā anattā,

Mental processes are not-self,

Sangkhārā ca hidang bhikkhavē attā abhavissangsu,

If mental processes were the self,

Nayidang Sangkhārā ābādhāya sangvatteyyung,

These mental processes would not lend themselves to disease.

Labbhētha ca sangkhārēsu,

It would be possible (to say) with regard to mental processes,

Ēvang mē sangkhārā hontu ēvang mē sangkhārā mā ahēsunti.

‘let my mental processes be thus.
    let my mental processes not be thus.

Yasmā ca kho bhikkhavē sangkhārā anattā,

But precisely because mental processes are not-self,

Tasmā sangkhārā ābādhāya sangvattanti,

for mental processes lend themselves to disease.

Na ca labbhati sangkhārēsu,

And it is not possible (to say) with regard to mental processes,

Ēvang mē sangkhārā hontu ēvang mē sangkhārā mā ahēsunti.
    ‘let my mental processes be thus
    let my mental processes not be thus.’

http://www.stlthaitemple.org/books/Chanting_English.pdf
    For example, when Ajahn Chah suffered from dementia in his old age, his sankhara khanda was afflicted with disease.

As for controlling the mind so it is free from psychological dukkha, although Ajahn Chah had dementia, he never once demonstrated his sankhara khanda was capable of concocting the dukkha of dependent origination.

Regards

Ābādha

Ābādha [ā + bādh to oppress, Vedic ābādha oppression] affliction, illness, disease Vin iv.261; D i.72; ii.13; A i.121; iii.94, 143; iv.333, 415 sq., 440; Dh 138; Pug 28; Vism 41 (udara -- vāta˚) 95; VvA 351 (an˚ safe & sound); SnA 476; Sdhp 85. -- A list of ābādhas or illnesses, as classified on grounds of aetiology, runs as follows: pittasamuṭṭhānā, semha˚, vāta˚, sannipātikā, utu -- pariṇāmajā, visama -- parihārajā, opakkamikā, kammavipākajā (after Nd2 304i.c., recurring with slight variations at S iv.230; A ii.87; iii.131; v.110; Nd1 17, 47; Miln 112, cp. 135). <-> Another list of illnesses mentioned in tha Vinaya is given in Index to Vin ii., p. 351. -- Five ābādhas at Vin i. 71, viz. kuṭṭhaŋ gaṇḍo kilāso soso apamāro said to be raging in Magadha cp. p. 93. -- Three ābādhas at D iii.75, viz. icchā anasanaŋ jarā, cp. Sn 311. -- See also cpd. appābādha (health) under appa.

http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/contextualize.pl?p.0.pali.1229015
    edited April 2011
    Likewise, even selfview is not me, not mine, for if it were you or yours, you can just tell your selfview to go away and you would become enlightened in a minute

But this is not possible because no agency or control exists or is possible because self-view is not me, not mine
    :lol:

"Now, how is one afflicted in body & afflicted in mind?

There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form. He is seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, and he falls into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress & despair over its change & alteration.

And how is one afflicted in body but unafflicted in mind?

There is the case where a well-instructed disciple of the noble ones — who has regard for noble ones, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma; who has regard for men of integrity, is well-versed & disciplined in their Dhamma — does not assume form to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form. He is not seized with the idea that 'I am form' or 'Form is mine.' As he is not seized with these ideas, his form changes & alters, but he does not fall into sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, or despair over its change & alteration.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.001.than.html

On seeing a form with the eye, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body established, with an immeasurable mind and he understands as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having thus abandoned favoring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant, painful, or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. With the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; with the cessation of clinging, cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

http://www.what-buddha-taught.net/Books9/Bhikkhu_Bodhi_Mahatanhasankhaya_Sutta.htm

"What do you think, monks: if people were to carry away the grass, sticks, branches and leaves in this Jeta Grove, or burnt them or did with them what they pleased, would you think: These people carry us away, or burn us, or do with us as they please?"

"No, Lord."

"Why not?"

Because, Lord, that is neither our self nor the property of our self."

"So, too, monks, give up what is not yours! Your giving it up will for a long time bring you welfare and happiness. What is it that is not yours? Corporeality... feeling... perception... mental formations... consciousness are not yours. Give them up! Your giving them up will for a long time bring you welfare and happiness."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.022.nypo.html

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Hmmmmm. I wonder if nibanna is always permanent. Let's say someone has gone through much of their life and has experienced the suffering of things like failed marriages, perhaps the death of a child or the death of a husband or wife...whatever...and uses Buddhist principles to reach nibanna. Then goes on living and feels free of suffering. But suddenly learns that he has incurable cancer. Might he start suffering again?
    edited April 2011
    If fully enlightened, no. That is impossible.

If partially enlightened, with partial Nibbana, yes, it is possible to suffer again.

28. But when the Blessed One had entered upon the rainy season, there arose in him a severe illness and sharp and deadly pains came upon him. And the Blessed One endured them mindfully, clearly comprehending and unperturbed.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited April 2011
    @vinlyn, As DD says to my understanding as well. The realization of complete Nirvana is such a state that all possible future experiences and conditions are already fully accepted. It does not matter at that point what comes to be, the mind has broken free of all fetters that would give rise to unwholesome mental states based on the arising of any future experience. Any view that could cause suffering (such as me/mine/permanency/expectation/attachment) has been completely uprooted and has no basis upon which to arise again (all ignorance gone).
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Is there such a thing as full enlightenment? If someone waterboarded the Buddha, would it induce the eons-old panic reaction to water in the bronchi? And if so, how is that reaction not dukkha?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited April 2011
    @fivebells, Is not the teaching of the complete cessation of dukkha? Is dukkha not an aspect of mind that arises due to ignorance? A reaction of the body is a reaction of the body, what matters is how the mind perceives its experience. The Buddha said that even should you be hacked to pieces alive, anger should not arise (meaning or inferring one who has truly/fully realized the Dharma would not react badly even to such events, certainly that this would be the case if it happened to him).

We can of course doubt if there is full enlightenment, or if the Buddha was fully enlightened (up to the point of stream-entry or so they say). This makes us investigate what enlightenment truly is, because if we do not know it then we can not judge it; when we know it, our doubts will find answers.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Xabir

Your post has dreadfully confused the Three Characteristics with the Four Noble Truths

Of course suffering can be controlled to go away thru practise.

One can become enlightened (stream entry) in a minute.

Dukkhalakkana is an insight knowledge not to be confused with dukkha as mental affliction

"All conditioned things are unsatisfactory [dukkha]" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering [dukkha]. This is the path to purification.

Maggavagga: The Path
    no. Suffering can never be done away by control. It is done away by insight, vision, knowledge, leading to dispassion and release.

And yes I am aware of the difference between dukkha as a characteristic of phenomenon and dukkha as mental affliction.

All I am saying is that whatever manifest, there is no agency, control, because they are not me, not mine.

Doesn't mean nothing can be done to influence them. Although you can't force away the experience of smelling something rotten by thinking "may the smelling stop right now", for example, intention to move away from that location may arise leading to actions leading the end of smelling something rotten. No agency or control is involved, only influences and dependent arisings of various mental and physical factors aka nama rupa.

Likewise we cannot force suffering out by control, but there is something that can be done to end suffering and that is by practicing the eightfold path.

The characteristic of all phenomena, be they afflictive or not, are anicca dukkha anatta. Anatta is not a state wherein the sense of self and suffering are absent, rather it is a fact of all phenomenon.

Anattalakkhana sutta:

...“Mental formations are not self. If mental formations were self, mental formations would not lead to affliction. It would be possible to say regarding mental formations, ‘Let mental formations be like this. Let mental formations not be like that.’ However, since mental formations are not self, mental formations lead to affliction. And it is not possible to say regarding mental formations, ‘Let mental formations be like this. Let mental formations not be like that.’...
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Xabir

"All things are not-self" — when one sees this with wisdom, one turns away from suffering. This is the path to purification.
    ...all must be regarded with proper wisdom, according to reality, thus: 'This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.'

O monks, the well-instructed noble disciple, seeing thus, gets wearied of form, gets wearied of feeling, gets wearied of perception, gets wearied of mental formations, gets wearied of consciousness. Being wearied he becomes passion-free. In his freedom from passion, he is emancipated. Being emancipated, there is the knowledge that he is emancipated. He knows: 'birth [self-view] is exhausted, lived is the holy life, what had to be done is done, there is nothing more of this becoming.'
    Xabir

Whether selfview and realisation of anatta can coexist is besides the point. Anatta is a dharma seal which applies to afflicted mental formations (e.g. Suffering) as well as liberated experience. And yes the realisation of it is what makes the difference betwenn having and not having selfview, suffering etc.