Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

NED's and how the mind separates the brain

2»

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    According to the Tibetan Book of the Dead, the consciousness wave hangs out in the Bardo, then begins to search for a rebirth. What about from a scientific perspective? If consciousness is waves projecting from a consciousness electromagnetic field that's the "fabric of the universe", what happens after it leaves the deceased human's body? Does it remain distinct, as the Tibetans believe, or does it melt back into the background field of consciousness?

I absolutely believe that sankara can move at the speed of light. And people who do astral projection say that's how it works. It makes perfect sense. Welcome to the forum, Broo.

• i watched this a couple weeks ago and ajahn brahm talks about NDEs.
    i always recalled from some "random enlightened dude" that the mind was like running and consciousness was the legs.
    is consciousness a function of higher brain? can consciousness exist without the mind?

interesting topic. i'd love to hear some experiences or thoughts!
    Thank you for the Ajahn Brahm YouTube clip (well, more than a clip!).

Beautiful, clear, wonderful. A bit scary, but incredible and such generosity from him.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Much love,

Tim
  • According to the Tibetan Book of the Dead, the consciousness wave hangs out in the Bardo, then begins to search for a rebirth. What about from a scientific perspective? If consciousness is waves projecting from a consciousness electromagnetic field that's the "fabric of the universe", what happens after it leaves the deceased human's body? Does it remain distinct, as the Tibetans believe, or does it melt back into the background field of consciousness?

I absolutely believe that sankara can move at the speed of light. And people who do astral projection say that's how it works. It makes perfect sense. Welcome to the forum, Broo.
    how about the idea that we are in bardos right now. meaning the present moment is the intermediate stage because it is inbetween the past and future. and based on our state of mind, we are in a hell or heaven realm. so the tibetan book of the dead is not only for one who dies but also for one who is living right now.

but all your questions still stand. what happens when a normal person dies? and what happens when a buddha dies?
  • We probably will not know until we die, unless you become fully awakened and become a buddha, being able to see your past lives eons back through history, see how everything works out there in that large gap of space. I personally believe when the buddha died he transcended this physical universe, but was still subject to karma and maybe later was reborn somewhere, this is just my opinion.
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran

The brain etc. is the candle, the mind/consciousness is the flame. We only attribute an experience of life, in fact any experiences, to life-forms, or forms that have developed the capacity for mind. Consciousness is not in our experience floating out in the air, it is tied to form in some way always.
    The body being the seat of consciousness is one of our very subtle delusions. In Mahamudra manuals they speak of the mind being released of all supports and reference points, that is released from the bondage of the body. Of course to realise such a thing I suppose that we would need to overcome brain = mind in our habitual thoughts?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Define "seat". The mind is not contained within the body, nor outside of the body, nor both within and without, nor neither within nor without. Mind is the aggregate of experience, and experience has no time or place and is indefinable other than as experience. The brain is not the mind, merely part of the conditions for the arising of mind and of consciousness.

I was making an analogy or metaphor or whatever that the conditions remaining present (i.e. the brain/body) allow the flame (mind) to continue burning. When this is, that is. When this is not, that ceases to be!
  • in your opinion, it is all theory as you do not know and I do not know. We shall have to go and speak to a fully awoken being to maybe get an answer. Have any ideas who and when?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    if someone told you, even if they were completely enlightened would you believe them?
    i wouldn't. i want to find out what happens for myself. forget what anyone says or believes.

the fastest way to contentment is by not knowing.
  • I was being sarcastic about asking someone and finding out. I was being serious about that what cloud or anyone else says is theory and non provable. Interesting to talk about though. Here are a few things to dwell on if anybody is curious.

each one being part link of various parts
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited May 2011
    the series of videos, the second of the 2, the multiple universe explanation is pretty good. It explains how gravity leaks from a different universe and that universes are membranes etc.
  • These are frustrating--just when they start getting down to brass tacks, they end. :( Can you give us more, Tom?
  • well, the second of the two videos above has I think 4 parts. Simple click part 2 and then 3 and then 4 on you tube after you finished. Okay, you twisted my arm, I will post the series here. It is very interesting and I watched it about 2 years ago in face I think...

• Thanks. :)
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    is consciousness a function of higher brain? can consciousness exist without the mind?

interesting topic. i'd love to hear some experiences or thoughts!
    Interesting topic, indeed! :) But first, some definitions: what are you calling the "higher brain"? Is that what some people refer to as the "higher self"? Can consciousness exist without mind: how are you defining "mind"? Is "mind" the brain, or are "mind" and "consciousness" the same thing? According to the article in the OP, consciousness can and does exist independent of the brain.
    consciousness is a feature of mind.
    mind is one of 3 basic categories of reality (the other 2 are energy and matter).
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2011
    In # 5 in the series they conclude that you could make a universe in a lab that would be self contained. Does that mean God is a nerd in a lab coat? :lol: :screwy:
  • I am not quantum physicist lol, the mathematics are probably so incredibly advanced with this we would just goggle at them. But yes, it would be so so so so thin yet stretch everywhere... It is a crazy thought
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    I remember reading a book recently that was about NDEs and stated that the mind expands at death. It expands, of course, just like it can during meditation when you can also get that feeling of bliss and love.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    P.S. Thanks for the video on Ajahn Chan. Never heard of him before and found you can listen to him on UTube. Great. Also can't wait to listen to the other good clips. Great thread!!!
  • The clip I think if it is the one you are referring to is that of ajahn brahm, not ajahn chan. But, there is an ajahn chah was also a very wise monk, he has some clips on you tube. I am sure there are many monks with clips on youtube. All the best,
    Tom