Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Heart Sutra, a discussion.

CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
The Heart Sutra is one of the most widely quoted, chanted, and revered writings of the Mahayana schools of Buddhism. It is also one of the shortest, making it a prime candidate for posting and discussion on a board. I wonder if anyone would like to discuss what this Sutra says? I'll copy it after a short intro.

The Heart Sutra is thought to be written somewhere between 200 and 600 AD, although dating of sutras is always problematic. Many scholars think it was written by a Chinese monk soon after Buddhism was established in that country.

For reference when you read it, Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara is the Bodhisattva of Compassion.

"Prajna Paramita" literally Perfection of Wisdom, is the name given to the collection of sutras used at the time, so the entire line is a poetic way of saying "studying the dharma"

The Bodhisattva is addressing Sariputra, who was an early, much mentioned disciple of Buddha and who died before Buddha did, so this is a literary device often used, passing along a teaching in the form of a dialog between Gods and Buddha or in this case, Bodhisattva and Arhat.

And the translation of the mantra at the end would probably best be given as "Gone, gone beyond, together awoken, amen!" (svaha is just something sanskrit tacks onto the end of a recitation, apparently)

The Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, when practicing deeply the Prajna Paramita, perceives that all five skandhas are empty and is saved from all suffering and distress.

"Shariputra, form does not differ from emptiness, emptiness does not differ from form.
That which is form is emptiness, that which is emptiness form.
The same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness."

"Shariputra, all dharmas are marked with emptiness; they do not appear or disappear,
are not tainted or pure, do not increase or decrease.
Therefore, in emptiness no form, no feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness.
No eyes, no ears, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
no object of mind; no realm of eyes and so forth until no realm of mind consciousness."

"No ignorance and also no extinction of it, and so forth until no old age and death
and also no extinction of them. No suffering, no origination,
no stopping, no path, no cognition, also no attainment with nothing to attain."

"The Bodhisattva depends on Prajna Paramita and the mind is no hindrance;
without any hindrance no fears exist. Far apart from every perverted view one dwells in Nirvana.
In the three worlds all Buddhas depend on Prajna Paramita
and attain Anuttara Samyak Sambodhi."

"Therefore know that Prajna Paramita is the great transcendent mantra,
is the great bright mantra, is the utmost mantra,
is the supreme mantra which is able to relieve all suffering
and is true, not false."

"So proclaim the Prajna Paramita mantra, proclaim the mantra which says:
gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha."

Comments

• It's not written by the famous Chinese monk Venerable Master Xuang Zang. He took the original Sanskirt version back from India and did a very literal translation of the sutra into Chinese.

Here is the translation by Venerable Yifa, this English version may seem alot more easier to read?

The Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, while practicing the profound prajnaparamitra, clearly saw that all five skandhas are empty, thus overcoming all suffering.
    Sariputra,
    form is no different from empty,
    empty no different from form,
    form is just empty,
    empty just form,
    sensation, perception, volition and consciousness are also like this.
    Sariputra, this is the emptiness of all dharmas:
    They neither arise nor cease,
    are neither defiled nor pure,
    neither increase nor decrease.
    For this reason within emptiness there is no form,
    no sensation, perception, volition or consciousness;
    no eye, ear, nose, tongue, body or mind;
    no sight, sound, scent, taste, touch or thought;
    no seeing,…even no thinking;
    no ignorance nor end of ignorance,…even
    no aging and death, nor end of aging and death;
    no suffering, origin, cessation or path;
    no wisdom and no attainment.
    Because nothing is attained,
    bodhisattvas maintain prajnaparamita,
    then their heart is without hindrance,
    and since without hindrance, without fear;
    escaping upside-down, dream-like thinking,
    and completely realizing nirvana.
    All buddhas of all times maintain prajnaparamita,
    thus attaining anuttara-samyak-sambodhi,
    Hence know, prajnaparamita is
    the all-powerful mantra,
    the great enlightening mantra,
    the unexcelled mantra,
    the unequalled mantra,
    able to dispel all suffering.
    This is true, not false.
    Therefore proclaim the prajnaparamita mantra.
    Recite the mantra thus:
    Gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha!

Chinese masters tend to state that the Buddha has spoken the sutra, using Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva as an example, rather than the Bodhisattva teaching Sariputra.
  • That's interesting. So the Chinese Masters see the puzzling inclusion of Sariputra in the preamble as Buddha talking to his disciple, but discussing the Bodhisattva of Compassion? Well, that's one way of explaining how Sariputra gets involved in the discussion.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    When I was into training, there were a number of chants we memorized. Most of them were shorter and some were about the same length as The Heart Sutra. They were in Japanese, Pali and perhaps other languages ... I don't remember. I do remember being quite proud of myself once I had memorized The Heart Sutra ... proud, that is, until the fellow I roomed with at a monastery memorized the entire Diamond Sutra, an accomplishment few if any monks anywhere could lay claim to.

At first, I was quite taken with the English meanings and permutations of the various chants. But slowly, the meanings seemed to drift away, with mere fragments (eg. "form is emptiness; emptiness is form") remaining. Nowadays, The Heart Sutra is like an old friend, a focal point and a breath of always-fresh air. If someone asked me what it meant, I would have to look it up.

Mods please delete if this is too far off topic. Thanks.
  • ah the heart sutra! the essence of buddhism, short and perfect! this and The Hsin Hsin Ming
    (Verses on the Faith Mind) basically sum up what i read and meditate on. they are simple but at the same time very complex.

lovely text. curious to see what discussion will unfold.

• "escaping upside-down, dream-like thinking,"
    Thats literally how we think all the time. It's like us thinking we have been insulted when it's not the case or misinterpeting other's speech or intentions, thus upside down thinking.

Dream like thinking is when we fantasise about happy stuff all day long and gets arrogant when we get praises we don't really deserve.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hsin Hsin Ming is a sutta that accords with Buddha-Dhamma but not the Heart Sutra, imo

imo, the Heart Sutra instructs the sphere of nothingness

imo, the Heart Sutra is certainly not perfect but, instead, gravely flawed

it is just describing the sphere of non-thinking, which is not Buddha-Dhamma

:)
    edited April 2011
    ...rather than the Bodhisattva teaching Sariputra.
    the Heart Sutra is certainly not Avalokitesvara teaching Sariputra. That is impossible

the Buddha declared there was only one person who could teach the Buddha-Dhamma equal to him, namely, Sariputta

my impression is the Avalokitesvara is like a child or student, excitedly reporting to their parents or teacher want they learned in kindergarten

many Mahayana sutras disparage Sariputta in their recharacterisation of Buddhism because Sariputta was considered by the Buddha to be his supreme heir

my impression is the inclusion of Sariputta in the sutra is just Mahayana politics
    187. Bhikkhus, I do not know of any other person who could follow up the teaching proclaimed by the Thus Gone One other than Sàriputta. Bhikkhus, Sàriputta follows up the teaching proclaimed by me.

http://www.metta.lk/tipitaka/2Sutta-Pitaka/4Anguttara-Nikaya/Anguttara1/1-ekanipata/013-Ekapuggalavaggo-e.html
  • This is one reason why I personally do not get too involved with sutras because they are mainly created so long after the buddha, it is like chinese whispers, (excuse the pun)
    I try to refine what I read to being as pure and straight from the horses mouth if I can, if no then I do not take much notice of it.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    All we can do is investigate what we can. The sutras that provide the knowledge necessary for us to practice are worthy indeed.
  • edited April 2011
    ...rather than the Bodhisattva teaching Sariputra.
    the Heart Sutra is certainly not Avalokitesvara teaching Sariputra. That is impossible

the Buddha declared there was only one person who could teach the Buddha-Dhamma equal to him, namely, Sariputta

my impression is the Avalokitesvara is like a child or student, excitedly reporting to their parents or teacher want they learned in kindergarten

many Mahayana sutras disparage Sariputta in their recharacterisation of Buddhism because Sariputta was considered by the Buddha to be his supreme heir

my impression is the inclusion of Sariputta in the sutra is just Mahayana politics

My thoughts are that including a deity bodhisattva who appears to teach Sariputta could be a way of infering supremacy and furthering the mahayana's invention of 'greater' versus 'lesser' vehicles.

• edited April 2011
    Anyway, this is a good Dharma talking conducted by Venerable Master Hsing Yun, it is really long and you will have to wait for the translation after he speaks.

Hopefully it will clear up misunderstandings about the Heart Sutra and prevent further comments about Buddhist sutras being "flawed".

• i don't understand how one can know what the buddha said or did. even if it is written. how can you trust what is written?
    how can you justify that one sutra is more authentic than another sutra?

you can't because no one knows what the buddha said or did. thus we can only use what is true.
    either the sutra speaks to you or it doesn't. if it doesn't then find out why it doesn't. then you learned something. yay.

what is so "wrong" with the heart sutra? it seems to speak about emptiness in a pretty straightforward manner. everything is empty. isn't that an universal buddhist teaching? isn't that what the heart of buddhism is all about? emptiness?

?
  • Good points Taiyaki, It's always smarter to take the same option and not diss sutras that one does not agree with. One may not believe in Karma when it comes to slandering the Dharma, but isn't it a case of BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY?

So what if you win a debate on the internet that some Buddhist sutras are wrong? Do you really gain anything in your practice? Mahayana and Theravada paractioners are still going to do their thing.

Infact the Heart sutra says that emptiness is the same as forms and vice versa, they can't exist without one another. By only talking about emptiness one can easily turn nihilist.
  • middle way! =]
  • I agree taiyaki ... it continues to appear to me that especially from a doctrinal perspective, and also in the objectives, practice, and goals of those who practice within the traditions which study them, that the Pali canon and the Mahayana Sutras agree more than disagree. Both traditions agree on the teachings which are fundamental, such as the four Noble Truths, the Noble Eightfold Path, the ten Perfections ( with six focused on mainly in Mahayana), the four Foundations of Mindfulness, the twelve links of Dependent Origination, the nature of enlightenment, Nibbana as the goal, etc. Both accept the roles of compassion and wisdom as crucial in any aspiration to spiritual progress and therefore uphold the cultivation of attributes such as kindness, gratitude, respect to elders, humility, altruism, generosity, morality, as well as mindfulness and non-attachment.
    edited April 2011
    i don't understand how one can know what the buddha said or did?
    hi

my opinion is it is a matter of experience

for example, should the state of liberation be something permanent or impermanent?

if it is permament then how can we live believing there is no eye, no ear, no sight, no sound, no scent, no taste, no touch, no thought, no suffering, no cessation, etc,?

how can we contine to live with complete freedom by dwelling in the state of no thought, permanently?

i am just voicing my opinion, that is all

can we live with the view that phenomena are selfless?

if so, can we also live with the view there are no phenomena?

:confused:
  • emptiness has no views =\
  • Hi DD,

I agree intellectual understanding alone, and conceptual understanding is not enough. One has to experience.

Nibbana has been described to me as the extinction of desire, the extinction of hatred, and the extinction of delusion. The Buddha referred to Nibbana as the calming of all conditioned things, giving up of all defilements, cessation of craving, and detachment..... clearly, my experience has not reached this state, not even close I suspect, and I wouldn't presume to know much about it - yet glimpses of not self, no thought, no seperate phenomona do occur for me as a result of practice, consistent with teachings on shunyata I have been privelged to receive from qualified teachers, including public teachings by HHDL on Nagarunja's commentary on Bodhichitta.
  • So many interesting comments. I spent many an hour with other Buddhists, discussing all the questions and issues this one little Sutra raises.

Some versions just drop the preamble, because it's always been a mystery. Sutras have never been reluctant to bring Buddha into the picture, with the usual "I heard that the following is what Buddha said to such-and-such on this occasion" so people have wondered what the author had in mind, or if something got dropped in the earliest copies, or the entire first line got tacked on to an earlier piece of teaching.

And I think this one sutra might have been meant for the Theravadans in mind. My own personal opinion is that the Bodhisattva is a stand-in for the Mahayana and Shariputra is supposed to represent Theravadans. This sutra then encapsulates the whole Emptiness thing that helped cause the split in the first place. Theravadans tend to logic and are always suspicious of what doesn't seem to make sense in their mission to attain Enlightenment. This sutra first says form is no different from emptiness, then that within emptiness there is no form, then even says there is nothing to attain. It has all the hallmarks of an esoteric teaching, because it can't mean what it seems to be saying and seems to need some secret key to penetrating the language, something else Theravadans have a huge problem with ever since the story of the silent handing over of the flower took hold. This sutra seems designed to make a Theravadan grit his teeth, doesn't it? And I have to admit, they have a point. If the Dharma was nothing but nonsense, Buddhism wouldn't have survived a year after Buddha's death. It's the logic and sense to the Noble Truths that is the foundation of Buddhism.

But then we have something like this Heart Sutra. I remember when I first read it. "Oh, one of those ZEN things again. Up is down and one hand claps and all that. Gotta go to a Zen Master to get the key to what it all means." But it's not so much esoteric in my mind, as using words skillfully to point to what can't be expressed in words.

• When I was into training, there were a number of chants we memorized. Most of them were shorter and some were about the same length as The Heart Sutra. They were in Japanese, Pali and perhaps other languages ... I don't remember. I do remember being quite proud of myself once I had memorized The Heart Sutra ... proud, that is, until the fellow I roomed with at a monastery memorized the entire Diamond Sutra, an accomplishment few if any monks anywhere could lay claim to.

At first, I was quite taken with the English meanings and permutations of the various chants. But slowly, the meanings seemed to drift away, with mere fragments (eg. "form is emptiness; emptiness is form") remaining. Nowadays, The Heart Sutra is like an old friend, a focal point and a breath of always-fresh air. If someone asked me what it meant, I would have to look it up.

Mods please delete if this is too far off topic. Thanks.
    @genkaku,

Browning says, in </>Rabbi ben Ezra" , if memory serves,
    "Grow old alone with me
    The best is yet to be
    The last of life for which the first was made
    ."

More and more I give thanks for the snatches and tatters of scriptures, hymns and poems that lurk in the cluttered attic of memory. And give thanks at the same time to the teachers and a school system that obliged me, every evening, to learn 'by heart'. The whole of a text may escape me, even its a. Only the phrase that entered my heart remains.

• At the direction of one talented english literatire teacher, Louise Harvey, my memory recalls from Ash Wednesday, T. S. Eliot expresses beautifully: “Teach us to care and not to care.”
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Hsin Hsin Ming is a sutta that accords with Buddha-Dhamma but not the Heart Sutra, imo

imo, the Heart Sutra instructs the sphere of nothingness

imo, the Heart Sutra is certainly not perfect but, instead, gravely flawed

it is just describing the sphere of non-thinking, which is not Buddha-Dhamma

But isn't it true that if one cuts the "fabricating" step of DO, then the whole chain collapses and suffering ceases? With the result being no form, no feeling, no perceptions, no impulses, no consciousness? The act of fabricating is what gives rise to these things, does it not?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "Shariputra, form does not differ from emptiness, emptiness does not differ from form.
    That which is form is emptiness, that which is emptiness form.
    The same is true of feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness."

"Shariputra, all dharmas are marked with emptiness; they do not appear or disappear,
    are not tainted or pure, do not increase or decrease.
    Therefore, in emptiness no form, no feelings, perceptions, impulses, consciousness.
    No eyes, no ears, no nose, no tongue, no body, no mind; no color, no sound, no smell, no taste, no touch,
    no object of mind; no realm of eyes and so forth until no realm of mind consciousness."
    "And why do you call them 'fabrications'? Because they fabricate fabricated things, thus they are called 'fabrications.' What do they fabricate as a fabricated thing? For the sake of form-ness, they fabricate form as a fabricated thing. For the sake of feeling-ness, they fabricate feeling as a fabricated thing. For the sake of perception-hood... For the sake of fabrication-hood... For the sake of consciousness-hood, they fabricate consciousness as a fabricated thing. Because they fabricate fabricated things, they are called fabrications.

"Thus, monks, any form whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every form is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

"Any feeling whatsoever...

"Any perception whatsoever...

"Any fabrications whatsoever...

"Any consciousness whatsoever that is past, future, or present; internal or external; blatant or subtle; common or sublime; far or near: every consciousness is to be seen as it actually is with right discernment as: 'This is not mine. This is not my self. This is not what I am.'

SN 22.79
    Is there really a difference between these two statements?
    edited April 2011
    emptiness has no views
    the buddha himself spoke emptiness is free from "self-views"

as i originally questioned: "are all views suffering?"

if so: "can we live a life free from views?"

for example, if a child asks us: "can i play with the alligator that lives in the creek?", will our mind suffer because we express our view to the child?

• isn't it attachment to views which cause suffering? the view in it of itself cannot cause suffering since it is empty. thus it's our attachment to such views which bring suffering.

a buddha can attach to a view, but it's like grasping at air. keep trying.
    edited April 2011
    But isn't it true that if one cuts the "fabricating" step of DO, then the whole chain collapses and suffering ceases? With the result being no form, no feeling, no perceptions, no impulses, no consciousness? The act of fabricating is what gives rise to these things, does it not?
    our we certain our understanding of DO accords to reality or experience?

for example, the buddha gained enlightenment when he was 35 years old

did the buddha spend the rest of his life with no form, no feeling, no perceptions, no intentions & no consciousness?

If a monk abandons passion for the property of consciousness, then owing to the abandonment of passion, the support is cut off, and there is no landing of consciousness. Consciousness, thus not having landed, not increasing, not concocted, is released. Owing to its release, it is steady. Owing to its steadiness, it is contented. Owing to its contentment, it is not agitated. Not agitated, he (the monk) is totally unbound right within. He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.053.than.html

• the buddha did a lot of things. form is no different from emptiness and emptiness is no different from form.

thus the buddha was like everyone else. he just was completely aware of reality and it's emptiness, which is also a fullness.

nirvana is freedom to do whatever one wants. if that means to hide in emptiness until the world knocks on your door. so be it. if it means to go around and speaking the dharma. so be it. if it means working at the local wallmart as a clerk for the rest of your life. so be it.

buddhas are everywhere doing lots of funny stuff. some weird and some quite mundane.

the buddha expresses his inner wisdom of emptiness. it does not talk about how he functions.
  • the view in it of itself cannot cause suffering since it is empty
    what about "self-view", the view the five aggregates are "me"

is this view not itself suffering or disturbing to the mind?

• form is no different from emptiness and emptiness is no different from form.
    i personally have no objections to this part of the Heart Sutra

for me, it is very well articulated

The Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, while practicing the profound prajnaparamitra, clearly saw that all five skandhas are empty, thus overcoming all suffering.

Form is no different from emptiness,
    emptiness no different from form,
    form is just emptiness,
    emptiness is just form,
    sensation, perception, volition and consciousness are also like this.

:thumbup:

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited April 2011
    the view in it of itself cannot cause suffering since it is empty
    what about "self-view", the view the five aggregates are "me"

is this view not itself suffering or disturbing to the mind?

yes yes thus the 8 fold path and 4 noble truths. the buddha set the method for freedom from suffering. he said do this and that. see what happens.

once one attains nirvana they have a home away from what can disturb, which is no other than ones own wind blowing against the still pool. sure the buddha can be disturbed, but he has a home always within.
  • edited April 2011

for example, should the state of liberation be something permanent or impermanent?
    permanent in what sense? Meaning, for the rest of the lifetime (the Buddha for example: his Enlightened state was constant to his death, was it not?), or for future lifetimes? There was a quote earlier saying that Enlightened beings become Aryas, and are subject to rebirth and death. Presumably they remain in an enlightened state during those lifetimes?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    How many Madhayamka scholars does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Four:
    One to scew it in.
    One to not screw it in.
    One to both screw it in and not screw it in.
    One too neither screw it in nor not screw it in.

:lol:
  • Meaning, for the rest of the lifetime
    yes

• "Should the state of liberation be something permanent or impermanent?" Permanent in what sense? Meaning, for the rest of the lifetime (the Buddha's enlightened state was constant until his death, wasn't it?), or for future lifetimes? There was a quote earlier saying that Enlightened beings become Aryas, and are subject to rebirth and death. Presumably they remain in an enlightened state during those lifetimes. Or don't they?

The Buddha managed to live with the view that phenomena are selfless, that there are no phenomena, etc. It can be done, it was done. I imagine one maintains the mundane perspective of life, while knowing it's an illusion and remaining unattached to it. It becomes a tool to allow one to exist in the mundane world, but not be "of" the mundane world. This allowed the Buddha to teach to his disciples, whose perception was still grounded in the mundane world, while maintaining his enlightened state while he taught. Perhaps like people who are raised in one culture at home, but have to live in a radically different dominant culture outside the home. One learns to "walk in two worlds". In his own way, this is what the Buddha did.
  • edited April 2011
    How many Madhayamka scholars does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    Four:
    One to scew it in.
    One to not screw it in.
    One to both screw it in and not screw it in.
    One too neither screw it in nor not screw it in. :lol:
    And one more, to perceive that there's nothing to screw in, nor a receptacle to screw the nothing into.

(Sorry about repeated material above. Edit issues...)

edited April 2011
    The Buddha managed to live with the view that there are no phenomena
    Are you sure?

What evidence do we have to show the Buddha lived with the view that there are no phenomena?

Where did the Buddha ever say there is no earth, no wind, no water, no fire, no space, no consciousness, no mind, no Nibbana, etc, ?

Avalokitesvara might have asserted this but what record do we have the Buddha spoke the same?

• don't deny. don't assert. the buddha was a smart man to keep silent.
  • The Buddha managed to live with the view that there are no phenomena.
    And what about you?

Have you managed to live with the view that there are no phenomena?

Or is your view of Buddha just another unverified superstition you are blindly worshipping?

• don't deny. don't assert. the buddha was a smart man to keep silent.
    if the Buddha kept silent, then why are the words attributable to the Buddha probably five times larger than the entire Bible?

are you possibly confusing the Buddha for Lao Tse?

• The Buddha managed to live with the view that there are no phenomena
    What does that even mean??
  • edited April 2011
    Ask DD. I assume that "how can we live with a view that all phenomena are selfless" and "can we live with a view that there are no phenomena at all" refers to emptiness, in relation to the OP. Can we live with a view that encompasses emptiness? I also assume this refers to enlightened beings, i.e. if we were enlightened could we live with such a view? I'm not enlightened, but the Buddha was. He taught emptiness, so clearly he was able to live with a view of reality that encompassed emptiness.
    Did Avaloketishvara assert anything, or was it the Buddha who was doing the asserting? No one has reached agreement on that point.
    don't deny. don't assert. the buddha was a smart man to keep silent.
    if the Buddha kept silent, then why are the words attributable to the Buddha probably five times larger than the entire Bible? Much of it is repetitious due to the use of mnemonic devices, since the teachings were passed down orally for generations, until they were written down. You know this stuff, DD, why are you asking?

are you possibly confusing the Buddha for Lao Tse? :confused:
    How easily you become confused, Grasshopper! The Buddha himself said that although he had come to understand much about life and reality (I'm paraphrasing), he only taught that which is relevant to the ending of suffering. He was silent with regards to much, possibly most, of his wisdom.
    :coffee:
    edited April 2011
    I assume that "how can we live with a view that all phenomena are selfless" and "can we live with a view that there are no phenomena at all" refers to emptiness
    To the Buddha, emptiness meant "selflessness" rather than "nothingness"

To the Buddha, "emptiness" did not mean there are no phenomena, like a vacuum

However, you appear to be using the terms "emptiness" and "nothingness" synonomously
    The Buddha himself said that although he had come to understand much about life and reality (I'm paraphrasing), he only taught that which is relevant to the ending of suffering. He was silent with regards to much, possibly most, of his wisdom.
    To Buddha, the Four Noble Truths are "wisdom". To Buddha, any knowledge that can end suffering is "wisdom". For example, the Buddha included comprehension of arising & passing away (impermanence) in his definition of "wisdom". The Buddha taught the entirety of his "wisdom".

He remained silent however about things that were not "wisdom", that were unrelated to the cessation of suffering, that were mere knowledge. For example, possibly the Buddha knew the number of hairs on your head or knew that frogs eat certain kinds of dragonflies. Of that, he remained silent.

All the best

• Fine. So you agree that the Buddha could live with a view of reality that encompassed selflessness, while at the same time, living a functional life in the mundane world. Possibly the Heart Sutra refers to the fact that there are no phenomena that are independently arisen. Does anyone have an interpretation of the "no phenomena" passage? Cinorjer, we're doing what you asked, we're discussing what the sutra says. :D In any case, it boils down, in part, to the usual question; was this sutra spoken by the Buddha? Were any of them? If so, which ones? According to whom, and why? :grumble:
  • How easily we become confused :zombie:
    "What more does the community of bhikkhus expect from me, Ananda? I have set forth the Dhamma without making any distinction of esoteric and exoteric doctrine; there is nothing, Ananda, with regard to the teachings that the Tathagata holds to the last with the closed fist of a teacher who keeps some things back.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.16.1-6.vaji.html
    Monks, in this Teaching that is so well proclaimed by me and is plain, open, explicit and free of patchwork...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.022.nypo.html
    What do you think, monks: Which are more numerous, the few simsapa leaves in my hand or those overhead in the simsapa forest?

In the same way, monks, those things that I have known with direct knowledge but have not taught are far more numerous [than what I have taught].

And why haven't I taught them?

Because they are not connected with the goal, do not relate to the rudiments of the holy life and do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. That is why I have not taught them.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn56/sn56.031.than.html
    edited April 2011
    Possibly the Heart Sutra refers to the fact that there are no phenomena that are independently arisen.
    Can't be because Nibbana is an independent thing. The Buddha called Nibbana the unsankhata dhatu (unconditioned element).

Further, if the Heart Sutra was "perfect", as claimed here, then interpretation would not be required. If it does not speak directly then it cannot be the words of a Buddha. The Buddha's supramundane discourses do not require interpretation.
    Monks, in this Teaching that is so well proclaimed by me and is plain, open, explicit and free of patchwork...

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.022.nypo.html
    The Heart Sutra appears clear in its understanding. It appears to assert Nirvana is non-thinking.

escaping upside-down, dream-like thinking,
    and completely realizing nirvana.
  • edited April 2011
    How easily we become confused :zombie:
    Please don't misquote me. Or anyone. Thanks.
    "What more does the community of bhikkhus expect from me, Ananda? I have set forth the Dhamma without making any distinction of esoteric and exoteric doctrine; there is nothing, Ananda, with regard to the teachings that the Tathagata holds to the last with the closed fist of a teacher who keeps some things back.

Because they are not connected with the goal, do not relate to the rudiments of the holy life and do not lead to disenchantment, to dispassion, to cessation, to calm, to direct knowledge, to self-awakening, to Unbinding. That is why I have not taught them.

Thank you, this latter passage is what I was referring to, regarding his remaining silent. Both passages are good. And yet he spoke about there being 31 realms of existence, other universes, etc. How does that contribute to Liberation?

• edited April 2011
    More grist for the mill, to answer the question, "What evidence do we have that these were the Buddha's words".

en.wikipedia/wiki/Heart_Sutra

"The sutra is in a small class of sutras not attributed to the Buddha. In some versions ... the Buddha confirms and praises the words of Avalokitesvara, although this is not included in the pre-eminent Chinese version..."

Origin: "Likely to have been composed in the 1st C. CE in Kushan Empire territory by a sarvastavadin monk... The Tibetan canon uses the longer version."
    edited April 2011
    Please don't misquote me. Or anyone. Thanks.

Thank you, this latter passage is what I was referring to, regarding his remaining silent.
    I can only suggest you practise what you preach.

My quoting of this latter passage completely refuted your prior misrepresentation of it.

In other words, it was The Compassion Warrior that was confused.

• This has nothing to do with any misquoting. :rolleyes: I can read, DD, thank you. I still think the Buddha knew more than he let on about the nature of life and the cosmos. He did talk, apparently, about 31 realms of existence and a cosmology, not that that helps anyone further their practice. In any case, it turns out that scholars believe that the Heart Sutra does not present the words of the Buddha, but of Avalokiteshvara. So either Avalokiteshvara had a different take on emptiness than the Buddha, or the monk got something wrong. Go figure.
  • Does anyone have an interpretation of the "no phenomena" passage?
    Can you quote the passage you're referring to, here?