Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gents Country club. A place where men can talk about mens S**T

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I've :grumble: never seen Star Wars.

Now who likes these movies, The Shawshank Redemption, The Truman Show, Meet Joe Black and The Remains of The Day?

I love these movies, or is it just me?
  • edited January 2006
    It really is just you.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    :rant:

really? I demand a re-count, like the one that determined your president's re-election!

:eekblue: Did I just say that? Oh well I have added a post about lack of tact...somewhere around here...
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    :zombie:

Here's a thought..

"Men don't like taking directions" Quote, My wife, this morning. after I refused to go the "right way."

Discuss.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    :zombie:

Here's a thought..

"Men don't like taking directions" Quote, My wife, this morning. after I refused to go the "right way."

Discuss.

Your wife is a sexist! How many women do you know who like taking directions?
  • edited January 2006
    I liked The Shawshank Redemption too. As for Remains of the Day...well. Haven't you seen "Train Spotting"....pre Jedi

Anyways I was on BBC Radio 5 yesterday....talking about crime and punishment.
    edited January 2006
    I liked The Shawshank Redemption too. As for Remains of the Day...well. Haven't you seen "Train Spotting"....pre Jedi

Anyways I was on BBC Radio 5 yesterday....talking about crime and punishment.

Why did you not tell us in advance, HH? We could have listened. Which programme? Perhaps it's on "Listen Again".
  • edited January 2006
    Thanks Simon. I did give the gentleman from " The Conservative Way Forward" a tough time.

He was a complete knob by the way. Lock them all up, no what the offence and give them a daily birching was his line. He didn't want to look at the causes of crime.
    edited January 2006
    Thanks Simon. I did give the gentleman from " The Conservative Way Forward" a tough time.

He was a complete knob by the way. Lock them all up, no what the offence and give them a daily birching was his line. He didn't want to look at the causes of crime.

A complete oxyMORON! The "Conservative way foreard" only leads back!
  • edited January 2006
    They look like part of a eighties revival. Short lived.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Simon,
    My partner has a bunch of "Fairy" products that he has picked up from different places. I had never heard of it. I had heard of Lux, but it has been a while since I had.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    The Shawshank Redemption is one of my favorite movies. Tim Robbins did a phenomenal job in that film. So did Morgan Freeman, who I think is a highly underrated actor. But the whole story about that guy and his perseverance is something that you just don't see anymore in our "microwave" generation.

The Truman Show was good. I am not a Jim Carrey fan. Most of the time he's too busy acting like an idiot. I like a good comedy, but he's never been in one. Back to the movie. It was original to have someone's whole life from birth to the end on TV. Don't you think it is a little bit like finding out you've been lied to your whole life and you wake up to the truth. Truman made the best choice possible.

Couldn't get into "Meet Joe Black" and I saw it at the theater. Never saw "Remains of the Day" Always meant to as I love Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    ok cool Jerbear-all valid arguments-you MUST see Anthony Hopkins in remains-it is basically about holding onto the known and never being able to let go. it is a love story-chick flick, if u like, but...
    The final scene gives me goosebumps-similar to the way that when Truman discovers the end of his universe-the hole in the sky part? hard to explain-im sure you will know what i mean.

I have written elsewhere that i feel that the movies ive enjoyed the most have a buddhist message about them-I think it's just me (Go away ZenMonk-I know you want to comment)

Jim carrey-yes how about this comment, "Jim carrey- Love him or Hate him" -would you agree? tI think too many films have been "mediochrised"-(MY WORD) by his idiot persona, however when he does well-hes amazing.
  • edited January 2006
    If you believe that Carey is a one dimesional actor I suggest you check out 'Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind'.

Let me know what you think.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited January 2006
    On Star Wars it has got to be just Natalie Portman :)

I had a really bad week with my relationship. Killed the attachment, now I'm trying to repair and reinforce and really treasure the chance I've been given. Any tips on how to be skilful when talking to girls?
  • edited January 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Any tips on how to be skilful when talking to girls?

Now there's a question!

You have to be really careful what you say. Even if you just say "Your hair looks nice today" the chances are she'll think "why's he said that? Doesn't my hair normally look nice? How dare he!!!" :hrm:

I find it easier to just not say anything and just agree with everything they say!!

That's not really much help is it ?!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Ajani,
    Though I am not straight, I work with a good number of women. Sometimes the most skillful answer is "What do you think?". Then if they say "I asked your opinion" then you give it. If they answer "Well, I think........" then they just want to be heard. Saves a number of headaches.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Xrayman,
    Have you seen the remake of "Fun with Dick and Jane" yet? I'm tempted to go see it as I am hoping that Jim Carrey doesn't act like Jim Carrey. I honestly think the guy has talent but found something that works, so why bother honing your skills? When he did "The Truman Show", I was hoping he was breaking out of that mold. Oh well. And yes "Love Jim Carrey/Hate Jim Carrey" is probably right.
    I would have to say my favorite actor these days is Johnny Depp. He's pretty versatile. I was kind of haunted by the way he did "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" but it was a Tim Burton film. Tim Burton likes to make movies that are a bit off, though. I am never disappointed when I see Johnny Depp act. The film or the script might stink, but his performance is always top notch.
    I also am enamored with Cate Blanchett. I liked her long before "The Lord of the Rings" films. I had never heard of her and picked up "Elizabeth" at the video store one night. I was blown away by her performance. It also helps that I didn't know who she was. But she's another one, like Johnny Depp, that seems to let the character shine through, not herself.
    Your favorites?
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Women are interesting creatures. I wish there was a Major in Womanology... Anyway, I'm trying to become more woman-friendly (dude, this is one scary term) by becoming a perfect gentleman to tactfully serve the common lady. :)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    (AWW. I love coming in here. Men are the sweetest things.)

(Did I say that out loud?)
  • edited January 2006
    Sssssssshhhhhhh Brigid, there isn't much room in this broom cupboard and if you keep saying things out loud they'll know we're in here!
  • edited January 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Women are interesting creatures. I wish there was a Major in Womanology... Anyway, I'm trying to become more woman-friendly (dude, this is one scary term) by becoming a perfect gentleman to tactfully serve the common lady. :)

OI Who you calling common????? Oooops, blown it! Sorry Brigid!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    AW, Knitwitch!!!
    Told you that's not what he meant!
    Now they know our hiding spot.
    Oh, well. I've been thrown out of MUCH better places than this!
    (Next time we'll use the dumb waiter, K?)
  • edited January 2006
    Pssssst - I'm up here in the ventilator system - just like in the movies!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    (Move over. Ouch! SSSHHHH.)
  • edited January 2006
    Sorry, this damn broomstick does tend to get in the way!
  • edited January 2006
    I think we've got some gatecrashers in the old ventilation shaft!

Good grief, it's more of those women!

Good evening ladies, are you the cabaret?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    (The CABARET? LOL!!)

No, no. We're from the uh... gas company. We're just checking for leaks. Don't mind us. We'll be finished in a jiffy.

(Knitwitch, he thinks we're the cabaret!! How funny is that? Aren't men just the sweetest things?)
  • edited January 2006
    *out of ventilation shaft giving it full operatic*

"Overture, curtain, lights, This is it we'll hit the heights,
    And oh what heights we'll hit!!!!!!!!!! On with the show THIS IS IIIIIIIIIIT" (Kick a bit higher Brigid, we've got them fooled) ...... and they are sweet!
  • edited January 2006
    Oh that's Ok then. Last time we had gatecrashers it was that Federica and YogaMama. It all turned quite nasty what with that Fede running around with no clothes on! Fortunately I missed it as I'd fallen asleep in the corner but poor old Buddhafoot got the brunt of it! :eekblue:
  • edited January 2006
    Ah, I see I was a bit slow in my reply and indeed you are the cabaret !

Hurrah!

:cheer:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    We are indeedy!

(Knitwitch, I CAN'T kick any higher.)
    (Let's make for the door in a swirl of skirts. They're not going to be saying ANYTHING interesting while we're here.)

And out the door we gooooooo....
  • edited January 2006
    "Things looooooooooooook sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, things look greeeeeeeeeeeeeat "
    (right behind you, kid!)

"Gonna have the whole world on a plaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate........"

D'ye know - it's a funny old world - I was on this spiritual quest and my darling daughter in law suggested I come on this site to learn lessons and get a feel for Buddhism

.... and I find myself hiding in broom cupboards and ventilation shafts in a men's only club and masquerading as my old stage-struck self of 30 years ago with a lovely lady I have only just met .............

well all I can say is - she was right!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    LMAO!!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Frizzer wrote:
    Oh that's Ok then. Last time we had gatecrashers it was that Federica and YogaMama. It all turned quite nasty what with that Fede running around with no clothes on! Fortunately I missed it as I'd fallen asleep in the corner but poor old Buddhafoot got the brunt of it! :eekblue:

Excuse me frizzer, I wasn't the one running around with no clothes on.. it was quite specifically Yogamama... I was merely acting as dresser....

As for these two.... It's my considered opinion they're beyond cabaret and have gone straight for vaudeville....!!
    And I'm bellowing From St. James's Square to make myself heard as I have been advised I'm not welcome...!!
  • edited January 2006
    Oh go on then, come in and warm yourself by the fire. It looks a bit chilly out there!
    Just make sure you're appropriately attired this time !
  • edited January 2006
    (tiptoeing down the corridor under cover of Fede's yelling)

Well, thought that went rather well, don't you, Brigid?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I'm not fooled. I've watched one too many musicals. Please leave quietly and no one gets hurt.
  • edited January 2006
    I go away for a couple of day and all hell lets loose. Remember there are rules.

NO CHICKS unless they're paying.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Frizzer wrote:

I did get the brunt of it.

And, may I say, Fede and Yoda looked quite delicious in nothing but their cowboy hats and chaps.

Delicious!

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    Indeed. We really must get a podium and pole-dancing pole set up in here !

Where's our cabaret girls? I'm sure they'd be only too happy to help out!!
  • edited January 2006
    Speaking of movies have you all heard about the new Buddha movie in the works. It seems they are search high and low across the world for someone that matches the descriptions of the Buddha, vague as they may be. Its going to be a Shekhar Kapur film. Though I havent heard of him he sounds swell enough.

Here are some links:

from the BBC

from The Scotsman

some random blog on India

Keith
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Well, I have been approached... But modesty prevents me form saying more....!!:tongue2:
  • edited January 2006
    if this is the "men's" thread than I'll ask the men who are into football this... who do you think is going to win the superbowl? I've picked all the playoffs games right (which stinks cause my hometown heroes the Pats got knocked off)... I'm going with the unerdogs and picking Seattle.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    The team with the most points at the end of the game will win. I'm prophetic,eh?
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I honestly can't see getting upset showing the Buddha pre-Enlightenment. Actually, it might give us practitioners a different view of the Buddha. I tend to think of the Buddha as a man that found something extraordinary and shared it with others. Should make a great movie.
  • edited January 2006
    This is dumber than the treehouse we had when we were ten.
  • edited January 2006
    Obviously you have forgotton how much the treehouse rocked. Until it fell that is.:cheer:
  • edited January 2006
    Yeah it'd be a way better movie than Passion of the Christ, thats for sure.

keith
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "Indeed. We really must get a podium and pole-dancing pole set up in here !

Where's our cabaret girls? I'm sure they'd be only too happy to help out!!"

Frizzer,
    I'm shocked and appalled....that you think you could ever afford us! Knitwitch and I only dance skyclad for ....um...ten thousand pounds...each. (And don't even bother trying to find the clearing in the woods.) And no cameras. And we like our dressing room to be pure white and stocked with the finest of bottled waters. Oh, and we also accept Visa, Mastercard, but not American Express. I'm shocked, just shocked. I'll have my people call your people.