Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama's views on the death of Bin Laden

13»

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    That was mature, 5bells.
    I don't believe HHDL spoke in (what's left of) his political role, as I've stated before. I believe he spoke in his role as spiritual guide. And btw, the succession scheme for the Dalai Lama as spiritual leader of the Tibetan people wouldn't necessarily be changed by separating his political function from the spiritual role.
    This is my observation as well.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    His Holiness should abandon politics it is not a good representation of a monk to induldge in such.
    It would be nice to the see the lineage of Dalai lamas return to their begining role as such demonstrated by the 1st-4th Dalai lama.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Interesting point, caz. This seems to be what HH is working towards.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Interesting point, caz. This seems to be what HH is working towards.
    It seems rather the opposite if one examines all his actions compared to the earlier Dalai lamas, The first few where wonderful examples of Je Tsongkhapas doctrine and aspired to practise the doctrine as such to set an example to those whom follow Je Losangs teachings.
    Its such a shame the Dalai lama has become such a world famous figure for the wrong reasons and his speech with regards to certain things certainly will not help the reputation of Dharma in the long run. On Bin laden it would have been better to have been silent I think as with many other things.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    If HHDL succeeds in turning the Dalai Lama post into exclusively a religious leadership position, he'll have achieved what you suggest. But that wouldn't necessarily prevent any Dalai Lama from offering spiritual comfort or expressing an opinion on approaching thorny political situations (or their aftermath) from a spiritual perspective.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    His Holiness should abandon politics it is not a good representation of a monk to induldge in such.
    I must concur with my younger brother, Caz Namyaw

As human beings, we have not yet learned to live in peace with eachother. We have not yet learned to respect eachother.

That the USA is still starting & fighting wars should be of grave concern & saddness to a holy person. That a man is assassinated in a Pakistani village by US forces should be of grave concern & saddness for a holy person.

All of this killing & conflict should be of grave concern & saddness for a holy person. A holy person should be encouraging all of us, without exception, to learn to live in peace & with respect for eachother.

A holy person, should not be giving us fuel to rejoice in these brutalities

Yet the HHDL is getting caught up in the samsaric world of human ignorance, just as many rejoice over Osama's death and many are angered.

This entry in politics is not befitting of a Buddhism monk (imo)

"Simple Buddhist monk"

:(
    edited May 2011
    I think that @vinlyn is right, DD,
    Simon, if you disagree with me, I think that you are not right

So there, just two idiosyncratic opinions

:thumbup: :thumbdown:
    edited May 2011
    But that wouldn't necessarily prevent any Dalai Lama from offering spiritual comfort or expressing an opinion on approaching thorny political situations (or their aftermath) from a spiritual perspective.
    Here seems being unable or unwilling to separate the spiritual from the political, as though being unable to renounce the political, which is just a form of collective self-cherishing.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Indulge in politics? As I understand it he was enthroned as Tibet's political leader at the age of 15 or 16 while their country was under hostile takeover. I wonder how buddhist any of us would be in that situation. The Tibetans really needed something to hold onto and I think he provided that. I've repeatedly heard him talk about how busy he is and has no time for a real meditation retreat and how he'd like to hand over power to an elected body, seems like he's finally able to do that. Despite the compromises his politcal position demands he is still a very holy person.
  • edited May 2011
    Killing someone to prevent them from killing thousands more innocents? Wouldn't you be a moral monster NOT to kill that someone?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran

Yet the HHDL is getting caught up in the samsaric world of human ignorance, just as many rejoice over Osama's death and many are angered.

This entry in politics is not befitting of a Buddhism monk (imo)
    His words reflect the sadness and concern you ascribe to a holy man. The news reflects a need to use an authority to justify the actions.

He was gravely misquoted by people who wished for his blessing, and projected "blessing" into "sorrowful accepting."

I agree that HHDL should get out of politics, for his own peace of mind. The current political climate of the world could certainly be likened to working at a butcher.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Killing someone to prevent them from killing thousands more innocents? Wouldn't you be a moral monster NOT to kill that someone?
    No.

• edited May 2011
    No.

Simply saying 'no' doesn't resolve the issue. Because to my eyes this looks like a statement that neglects the very reason we are against killing in the first place, i.e., the idea that life must be preserved and suffering must be alleviated where possible. This idea tells me that, if the choice is between preserving the lives of thousand of innocents or the life of a single psychopath, I must choose the thousands of innocents. To choose the life of the psychopath is to choose more death, more destruction, more killing. Please don't tell me (in case you were going to) that any difference lies in the fact that we aren't 'technically' killing the thousands of innocents ourselves. In this case, to not choose the death of the psychopath IS to choose the death of the thousands of innocents. You are as morally culpable as if you pulled the trigger on those innocents yourself.

We simply cannot be so simplistic as to say no killing is ever justified. We cannot be so naive as to think the world wouldn't collapse into chaos if we did say that. Total pacifism - the unwillingness to fight back no matter what - is nothing but a willingness to lie down for the benefit of the world's thugs.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Right, Prometheus, but as upholders of the 1st precept, we're obligated first to consider alternatives to outright killing the psychopath. Jailing him, for example, bringing him to trial, whatever. I said, "consider". Depending on the circumstances, killing may be the only effective option, but it's a choice that shouldn't be taken lightly. That's why we've had a total of 8 pages and counting on the subject of Bin Laden: 5 on one thread, 3 on this one. We shouldn't completely rule out killing, as you say, but neither should we jump to conclusions and take that option without examining others.
  • edited May 2011
    I completely agree, Dakini. In no way should what I said be construed as meaning that I take killing lightly.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    :)