Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama's views on the death of Bin Laden

edited May 2011 in Buddhism Today
Hi all,

I have seen that the Dalai Lama has given a talk this week. He spoke of the death of Bin Laden and has been quoted as saying

"Forgiveness doesn't mean forget what happened. … If something is serious and it is necessary to take counter-measures, you have to take counter-measures" (source LA Times, and Daily Mail England plus others).

I'm quite surprised at his comment and am interested to know what people out there think about it. It's almost as if he's condoning revenge/anger as long as it's justified? I was of the understanding that the buddhist way of thinking is that anger/revenge/killing is not justified at all and it produces bad karma and goes against the practice of the eightfold path.

Look forward to hearing from you

B

Comments

• I think what the DLs tries to say is, that if Osama tried to kill the ST6 they had no choice but to return fire. They are not Buddhists either..

When he talked about how one must differentiate between action and actor, I think he meant that you can condemn an action (fx terrorism) and take counter-measures against future acts of terror. That could be by capturing the terrorist. When you have captured the terrorist, he should be treated with compassion. However, at times, you just don't have the opportunity to do the right thing if you want to stop a dangerous criminal.

This was a news story in my country too, and the headline wrote: "The Dalai Lama says that killing Osama could be OK". That's not what I see in his words. I think - even though I'm not a fan of DL - that his response was very wise.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    To have compassion for our enemies doesn't mean to let them do whatever they want. If someone is harming people stopping them ends the suffering they're causing to others and from a Buddhist perspective the mental anguish and future karmic suffering they're causing themselves. So you can stop harmful actions out of compassion and not just anger, revenge or even fear.
  • From my experience, it is more difficult to motivate ourselves to encourage another to stop acting when our feelings and ego are fed by them continuing to act in the same way
  • I don't see any mention of revenge in that statement. The DL would be the last to talk about revenge. He said "countermeasures". You interpreted that as revenge and it's incorrect.
  • Yes, countermeasures does not indicate revenge motivation.
  • Actually, this isn't news. I've seen posts around the internet quoting HHDL as saying after 9/11 something to the effect that sometimes killing is justified (meaning: to address the continued threat of further terrorism). We've had threads here discussing the fact that HHDL has changed his position over the years with regards to killing. He used to say it's never justified, now on rare occasion he not only says it's ok, he advocates it. I think this really pushes the envelope with regard to the flexible nature of the precepts: it's ok to break them if it's for a higher good. Apparently HHDL feels that killing one person effects a higher good by eliminating the danger that that one person poses to thousands of innocents. Some people have commented that this is an unusual position for a Nobel Peace Prize winner to take. I think it raises an important question about the First Precept. What do people think about applying the "higher good" principle to the First Precept?
  • "What do people think about applying the "higher good" principle to the First Precept?"

This would be a good topic for a separate thread, and I seem to remember a number of those. This thread is about HHDL and Osama bin Laden.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Actually, this isn't news. I've seen posts around the internet quoting HHDL as saying after 9/11 something to the effect that sometimes killing is justified (meaning: to address the continued threat of further terrorism). We've had threads here discussing the fact that HHDL has changed his position over the years with regards to killing. He used to say it's never justified, now on rare occasion he not only says it's ok, he advocates it. I think this really pushes the envelope with regard to the flexible nature of the precepts: it's ok to break them if it's for a higher good. Apparently HHDL feels that killing one person effects a higher good by eliminating the danger that that one person poses to thousands of innocents. Some people have commented that this is an unusual position for a Nobel Peace Prize winner to take. I think it raises an important question about the First Precept. What do people think about applying the "higher good" principle to the First Precept?
    I think in part, the answer to that lies in whether you see the Precepts as commandments or guidelines.

I think another part of the answer is that life is not always simple.

• Clearly, they're not commandments, that's the point. But the question is: should adherence to the First Precept be held to a higher standard? Here is an article on HHDL's recent statement, with some clarification he added later:
    news.yahoo.com/.../usattacksbinladendalailamatibet
  • Here's another interesting statement by HHDL on terrorism during the Bush administration:
    www.indianexpress.com/news/nonviolence-cannot-tackle-terrorism
  • Compassionate warrior and vinlyn - some excellent points, thank you. I will read your links very soon.

I think vinlyn you made an interesting point about whether we see the precepts as commandments or guidelines. I believe that they are to be taken as recommendations. And I know that there are lots and lots of precepts which in today's society, a lot of "modern" buddhists may not strictly adhere to (eg wearing perfume, singing etc!). However, killing has got to be the one and only precept we all most definitely should live by (Buddhist or not) as if it were a commandment no?

B
  • I think what the DLs tries to say is, that if Osama tried to kill the ST6 they had no choice but to return fire. They are not Buddhists either..

When he talked about how one must differentiate between action and actor, I think he meant that you can condemn an action (fx terrorism) and take counter-measures against future acts of terror. That could be by capturing the terrorist. When you have captured the terrorist, he should be treated with compassion. However, at times, you just don't have the opportunity to do the right thing if you want to stop a dangerous criminal.

This was a news story in my country too, and the headline wrote: "The Dalai Lama says that killing Osama could be OK". That's not what I see in his words. I think - even though I'm not a fan of DL - that his response was very wise.
    No, what he is saying killing, rejoicing in killing is wrong in the eye of the budda in any circumsatnce
  • And I know that there are lots and lots of precepts which in today's society, a lot of "modern" buddhists may not strictly adhere to (eg wearing perfume, singing etc!). However, killing has got to be the one and only precept we all most definitely should live by (Buddhist or not) as if it were a commandment no?

B
    Hi MrsWigs,

As far as wearing perfume and singing are concerned these are only forbidden to those who have formally taken the eight or ten precepts.

Most lay Buddhists don't take more than the five precepts which definately don't include anything about not wearing make-up/perfume or singing and dancing!

You can read about the precepts here:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?title=Precepts

kind wishes,

D.

• One thing I've noticed about the newspaper commentaries on HHDL's statement, is that they interpret it as approving of OBL's murder, when that's not at all what he's saying. He says OBL needed to be "brought to justice"--this is a far cry from advocating his murder--and that "countermeasures" needed to be taken after 9/11. Neither of these statements mentions violence, though that is the way the American press chose to read them. They are projecting onto HHDL's words (ambiguous, to be sure) what they want to hear. For this reason, the Dalai Lama's office in Dharamsala immediately requested and publicized clarification (see the Yahoo news link above).
    Compassionate warrior and vinlyn - some excellent points, thank you. ...

I think vinlyn you made an interesting point about whether we see the precepts as commandments or guidelines. I believe that they are to be taken as recommendations. And I know that there are lots and lots of precepts which in today's society, a lot of "modern" buddhists may not strictly adhere to (eg wearing perfume, singing etc!). However, killing has got to be the one and only precept we all most definitely should live by (Buddhist or not) as if it were a commandment no?

B
    One's response to the precept against killing is quite simple, either it's always to not be done, or there are exceptions.

If deadly force were going to be used against me, and my only alternative were to use deadly force in return, I would do it.

If, for example, a home invasion were taking place, and I had to use deadly force to save my family and me, I would do it.

Now, having said that, those are extremely rare occurrences. But, for me, the exceptions make the rule.

• Several here have commented in the past that one can use violence in self defense. (This lets the Tibetan army off the hook.) The knotty question in the case of terrorism (not to mention: Saddam) is, does this meet the definition of self-defense? How elastic is the definition of selfr-defense?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Here's a good talk on how our motivation plays into the determination of whether an action is positive or not.

• As far as the precepts being commandments or guidelines.....

As far as I can tell Buddhism was never about rules. Or at least not about externally-imposed rules. Imo it's about common sense too.

But more importantly the precepts are guidelines towards enlightenment. It's not a how-to on survival. You can't strive for enlightenment in the middle of a battlefield.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    You can't strive for enlightenment in the middle of a battlefield.
    That's exactly where we look for enlightenment. If one does not consider a mind full of fetters as a battlefield, I don't think they're giving proper weight to the landscape.

Still, killing Osama is sad. It may have been the most skillful choice available, but that does not make it a good one. It reminds me of the sutta where Buddha talks about how to consider our food... as though we are surviving on jerky made from our children. We do what we must, but do not revel.
  • This, just in from the NY Times:
    A missile strike from an American military drone in a remote part of Yemen on Thursday was aimed at killing Anwar al-Awlaki, the radical American-born cleric believed to be hiding in the country. ... The attack was part of a clandestine Pentagon program to hunt members of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula. ... The Obama administration has taken the rare step of approving Mr. Awlaki's killing, even though he is an American citizen. Although Mr. Awlaki is not thought to be one of Al Qaeda's senior leaders, he has been made a target by American military and intelligence operatives because he has recruited English-speaking Islamist militants to Yemen to carry out attacks overseas.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Ask yourself if you think the Dali Lama would have killed Bin laden or any other human, for me the answer is obviously no. So if the Dali Lama thinks its not right for him to do this action, then why would he think it would be right for anyone else to this action ?
    The precepts arn't rules, they are advice, if you break them then don't be surprised if your action results in suffering and unhappiness. If you follow them then again do not be surprised if you end up with happiness and reward. This how I interpret the precepts. So if you go around killing people, then expect bad consequences.

Ask yourself if you think the Dali Lama would have killed Bin laden or any other human, for me the answer is obviously no. So if the Dali Lama thinks its not right for him to do this action, then why would he think it would be right for anyone else to this action ?
    The precepts arn't rules, they are advice, if you break them then don't be surprised if your action results in suffering and unhappiness. If you follow them then again do not be surprised if you end up with happiness and reward. This how I interpret the precepts. So if you go around killing people, then expect bad consequences.

Because like virtually everybody in this forum, whether we like the methods or not, we (and the DL) benefit from what our military does.

That's not true for everybody in the world. I notice we don't have any posts from Burma -- a nation that is overwhelmingly Buddhist. Perhaps because its military doesn't protect its citizens, but rather rules over them and prohibits their participation in such internet forums.

• hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
    edited May 2011
    zid, I would have to say that I find your comments rather.....
    hmmmm, how should I put it........
    rather...........

Buddhist! yea , rather BUddhist, that's it!

edited May 2011

Because like virtually everybody in this forum, whether we like the methods or not, we (and the DL) benefit from what our military does.
    Any benefit is usually at the expense of others (a lot of the time innocent people), and usually in some far away land, that politicians inform us that "we are there for our National Interest", (nothing to do with money and power honestly).

In my opinion the consequences of breaking precepts does not change because a person or a country think that they are doing it for the right reasons, even if the Dali Lama thinks other wise. I know and expect most people who are Buddhists know from experience that breaking precepts does not bring happiness.

edited May 2011
    zid, I would have to say that I find your comments rather.....
    hmmmm, how should I put it........
    rather...........
    Buddhist! yea , rather BUddhist, that's it!

Thanks hermitwin,

I'll take that as a complement :thumbsup:

• HHDL from the article cited above:

"I want to make it clear, however, that although I am deeply opposed to war, I am not advocating appeasement. It is often necessary to take a strong stand to counter unjust aggression. For instance, it is plain to all of us that the Second World War was entirely justified. It "saved civilization" from the tyranny of Nazi Germany, as Winston Churchill so aptly put it. In my view, the Korean War was also just, since it gave South Korea the chance of gradually developing democracy. But we can only judge whether or not a conflict was vindicated on moral grounds with hindsight. For example, we can now see that during the Cold War, the principle of nuclear deterrence had a certain value. Nevertheless, it is very difficult to assess all such matters with any degree of accuracy. War is violence and violence is unpredictable. Therefore, it is better to avoid it if possible, and never to presume that we know beforehand whether the outcome of a particular war will be beneficial or not."
  • as a politican, HHDL is stuck in politics

this is dangerous to Buddhism

it is not the place of Buddhist monks to take political sides due to the worldly sufferings & concerns of puthujjanas

the role of a monk is to preserve & perpetuate the Dhamma for those seeking the end of suffering & liberation from the world

that the Mahayana has basically been wiped out in China, Tibet, Japan, etc, is due to their wrangling in politics (imo), mere karmic results of transgressing the Buddha's Vinaya (monks discipline)

when monks make Buddhism a political doctrine, they make enemies for Buddhism

once again HHDL's followers must enter into damage control over HHDL's verbal slips

the CIA, homosexuality, puritanical sex, Dorje Shugden, Osama Bin Laden...what next?

:wow:
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Nobel Peace Prize winner
    These often give the impression of 'political' decisions for political 'puppets'

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Whether one agrees with the Dalai Lama on various positions, or not, I doubt anyone on this forum has more knowledge about Buddhism than he.

However, this points out one of the problems that I see occasionally on this forum. Someone sees a video of a monk, or goes to a forest temple and hears a monk, or reads an article by a monk, likes it -- or doesn't -- and suddenly proclaims that particular monk is good or bad or terrible or wonderful. There is no consistently reliable filter.
    edited May 2011
    I doubt anyone on this forum has more knowledge about Buddhism than he.
    what puts you in a position to make this appraisal? are you a buddha?

in other words, your opinion is just that...moot

i trust your post suffers from the same judgement you are metering out

:coffee:

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Taking a stance on your decisions,
    & yourself as your measure,
    you dispute further down
    into the world.

But one who's abandoned
    all decisions
    creates in the world
    quarrels no more."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.4.12.than.html

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/snp/snp.4.11.than.html
  • Bin Laden
    who or what is Osama Bin Laden?

how do we know as fact Bin Laden to be what the media says he is?

why did the USA invade Iraq using 9/11 as a cause?

is it mere co-incidence the USA once financed Bid Laden, whose family has close links to the Bush family?

why did it take the world's greatest superpower 10 years to find one man?

these questions are UNANSWERABLE

yet than Bin Laden was violently & unlawfully EXECUTED is a fact

imo, best the Dalai Lama avoid staining his robes with violent blood

:(
  • "what puts you in a position to make this appraisal? are you a buddha?"

He is just making the educated guess that none of us has 70 years as a Buddhist Monk, 40-some years as a scholar or spent decades on a monastic university. :-}
    edited May 2011
    are you saying HHDL's position on Bin Laden arises from knowledge of the Buddhist teachings?

are you saying the Buddhist teachings are so vast they require 40 to 70 years to study, learn & practise?

or is he making uneducated assumptions & guesses, the same as you?
  • NamelessRiverNamelessRiver Veteran
    edited May 2011
    "are you saying HHDL's position on Bin Laden arises from knowledge of the Buddhist teachings?"

No. I actually disagree with him. Killing is a violation of the first precept. They should have arrested him and judged him for crimes against humanity. Same that happened with Pinochet (although hopefully faster and more effectively). Although he would probably need to be kept in an undisclosed location. Telling people he is dead would even be better.

"Are you saying the Buddhist teachings are so vast they require 40 to 70 years to study, learn & practise?"

I am saying his "flight-hours" qualify him as being knowledgeable on the subject. I am not saying being knowledgeable makes him enlightened, though.

"or is he making uneducated assumptions & guesses, the same as you?"

I leave that evaluation to your discretion. :p
    edited May 2011
    :cool:

OK. Now return to the subject of the thread.

• It's easy enough to say that Bin Laden should have been apprehended rather than killed, but does anyone really think he would have been willing to have been taken alive? Somehow I doubt it. Also, from what I've read the legality of his killing is not in despute by any nation or international body, such as the UN.
    are you saying HHDL's position on Bin Laden arises from knowledge of the Buddhist teachings?

are you saying the Buddhist teachings are so vast they require 40 to 70 years to study, learn & practise?

or is he making uneducated assumptions & guesses, the same as you?
    I'm saying that while I don't necessarily agree with everything the Dalai Lama says, at least I have an idea of what his qualifications are. If you care to share your qualifications, I'll be happy to listen. But, thus far, I generally find his writings and interviews I've seen to be substantive...even when I disagree with him.
    It's easy enough to say that Bin Laden should have been apprehended rather than killed, but does anyone really think he would have been willing to have been taken alive? Somehow I doubt it. Also, from what I've read the legality of his killing is not in despute by any nation or international body, such as the UN.
    The following article was quite good on that topic, but of course, as we learn more information, we may need to adjust our view of the legality:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/05/04/bin.laden.legal/index.html?hpt=Sbin
  • HHDL on "The Reality of War":

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/world-peace/the-reality-of-war
    thanks for this link. good article - the penultimate paragraph kind of sums it up really.

I just hate the fact that the media seem to sensationilise everything. for most people, just reading the headline about what HHDL said is enough to make some think that he advocates revenge or killing. There's obv a lot more to it than that! I suppose HHDL can't help how he's quoted by the press huh?

B
    edited May 2011
    It's easy enough to say that Bin Laden should have been apprehended rather than killed, but does anyone really think he would have been willing to have been taken alive? Somehow I doubt it. Also, from what I've read the legality of his killing is not in despute by any nation or international body, such as the UN.
    Legal or not, from a Buddhist point of view, it was wrong, for me there is no question about it.

Nice clips DD which really get across some interesting and valid points about the Dali Lama and his involvement with the west and the kind of regime Tibet has now and used to have in the past. I agree with you DD, the Dali Lama should concentrate more on being a Buddhist teacher and practicing Buddha's teachings and less on meddling in politics and cosying up with famous and powerful people in the west, but then again it could be argued that the role of Dali Lama now and in the past has more to do with politics than it has to do with being a Buddhist teacher.

At the end of the day, if the Dali Lama really thinks that in some cases it is allright to kill a person, then he does not reflect what the Buddha taught on this matter. As I have said, the Dali Lama would find it unacceptable for himself to do it, so why would he find it acceptable for anyone else to do it ?
  • I doubt anyone on this forum has more knowledge about Buddhism than he.
    what puts you in a position to make this appraisal? are you a buddha?

in other words, your opinion is just that...moot

i trust your post suffers from the same judgement you are metering out

:coffee:

I think that @vinlyn is right, DD, according to a certain definition of 'Buddhism'. The problem, as always, is one of 'authority'. I call HHDL my friend and it allows me to see that, on matters of Buddhist texts, practice and mindset, he is almost peerless. On these I find his statements 'authoritative'; when it comes to the political/moral interface, I prefer it when he simply takes Refuge and leaves us to our own answers. Coming, as he has, from an entirely non-democratic, pre-Enlightenment culture, he has shown the world that it is possible, in one generation/lifetime, to evolve from a theocrat into a democrat. That he has not yet quite managed to untangle the Church/State separation is hardly surprising: I don't think we've got it right yet either.

The whole matter of the planning, attack and events around Bin Laden's death is far from clear yet and we are engaged in a debate which may be of the highest ethical importance for the way we treat each other, divided into the fantasy of 'nations'. The question of whose word do we take extends from the factual to the moral. HHDL can shed light in some areas, the Pentagon in others: in the end, each of us must come to a personal conclusion by which we are prepared to stand. Ultimately, too, the umma, the sangha, the churches and so on may reach some sort of internal or fraternal consensus but I doubt that we shall ever be quite comfortable with assassination as a weapon of diplomacy.

edited May 2011
    Its interesting to see the Dali Lama and the CIA connection. For me this seems rather disturbing,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Dalai_Lama#CIA_backing

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/10/02/world/world-news-briefs-dalai-lama-group-says-it-got-money-from-cia.html

a cannot believe someone with supposedly so much knowledge of Buddhist teachings could align himself with the CIA. :scratch:
  • HHDL on "The Reality of War":

http://www.dalailama.com/messages/world-peace/the-reality-of-war
    thanks for this link. good article - the penultimate paragraph kind of sums it up really.

I just hate the fact that the media seem to sensationilise everything. for most people, just reading the headline about what HHDL said is enough to make some think that he advocates revenge or killing. There's obv a lot more to it than that! I suppose HHDL can't help how he's quoted by the press huh?

B
    Agree Mrs Wigs - anyone quoted in media publications do not have control over how the quotes are presented.

• In Political circles it's been known that the Dalai Lama sold his soul. This may be a surprise to Buddhists, but anyone with a general interest in Political issues will know this mans views have long been untrustworthy and tainted. He's the wolf in sheep's clothing if there ever was.

The man is a CIA pawn. Him and Bin Laden had more in common than he'd care to ever concede.
    I am glad that Simonthepilgrim again brought up the issue of separation of church and state.

Quite a while back I read a biography of FDR, although one of the most memorable segments in the book actually dealt with the mindset of President Woodrow Wilson. Wilson was a Presbyterian. Okay, no problem. But what was a problem was that he, apparently, saw his actions as President as coming directly from God. And, in my view, that kind of perspective is very dangerous.

I don't want my President to say, "I am going to make my decisions based on the tents of the Presbyterian Church." I don't want him to say, "I'm going to operate based on the Old Testament." I don't want him to say, "I am going to make my decisions based on based on the Book Of Mormon." I don't want him to say, "I am going to make my decisions based on the Koran." I don't even want him to say, "I am going to make my decisions based on the Dhamma." I want him to balance international moral principles, international law, and other factors in fulfilling his most important responsibility -- protecting the sovereignty of the nation and protecting the American people...above all else.

Yes, based on a strict interpretation, he has broken the first precept. Just as there are people on this forum who harm living beings through eating meat, take things not freely given, participate in sexual misconduct, commit false speech, and drink and take drugs. All of us don't interpret Buddhist principles the same way. We don't even all agree what the Eightfold Noble Path and precepts are -- commandments or guidelines. We don't even all agree what karma is or how it works. Whether there is national karma, or not.

For those of you who want to give your sympathy and empathy to Osama Bin Laden, be my guest. It's your right...though he was clearly not in the right.

edited May 2011

For those of you who want to give your sympathy and empathy to Osama Bin Laden, be my guest. It's your right...though he was clearly not in the right.
    It is not about giving sympathy, its about whats right and wrong, its not right to ever intentionally kill another person in my opinion, but others may disagree which is fine.

Also all I am saying is that the five precepts advise us of the consequences of breaking these precepts, if you break a precept then there are consequences, if someone wants to take on those consequences because of something they believe is for a "greater good", then that's their choice, but its still them that must face the consequences of their action, in my opinion.

• I'm not even sure Buddhism is even needed in the equation. Surely this is elementary morality and fundamental hypocrisy? With or without Buddhism most people recognise we failed in killing him.

If you stoop to the levels of your enemies you've been conquered. If murder isn't right for bin Laden, it isn't right for us. It really is that clear cut. America has conceded moral defeat here and it will only fuel and justify(in their minds) the actions of their terrorism and murder.

It's also worth pointing out that street celebrations and thirst for blood was only seemingly evident in America. Such scenes were absent from Europe and Australasia, who've been fighting the same war.

The bigger issue I have here is the Dalai Lama supporting American imperialism by proxy. As has been the case for a good while, and it's been documented. And it'ss also somewhat prevalent amongst posters in this thread, unfortunately! If somebody took out the main CIA building, would the people celebrating Bin Ladens death above, would they be celebrating the death of a far more dangerous and murderous organisation? Somehow I don't think so.

• In Political circles it's been known that the Dalai Lama sold his soul. This may be a surprise to Buddhists, but anyone with a general interest in Political issues will know this mans views have long been untrustworthy and tainted. He's the wolf in sheep's clothing if there ever was.

The man is a CIA pawn. Him and Bin Laden had more in common than he'd care to ever concede.
    This is a very serious statement. Do you have citations to back this up?