Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ok, of all Traditions, in your opinion which is the best to practice for our every day busy lives?

N2BN2B
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
maybe there isnt a 'best' tradition, but what would suit someone for instance who:

1. Wanted to take Buddhist practice into our modern busy life.
2. Not many rules, rituals.
3. Close to what the Buddha taught (instead of what people hoped he said and taught)
4. More laid back practice
5. believes one can attain enlightenment in this lifetime (coz i do believe we can)

With them 5 listed so far, is there any tradition which you might recommened from looking at that list..

(sorry if this is a daft question)

Comments

• Dzogchen. It focuses on transforming everyday experience from bathing, to sexing, to typing on the computer from an experience that binds to an experience that self liberates without the requirement of ritual. Though, life itself is ritualistic if you think about it, so a little positive ritualistic retreat everyday for a short period of time can be a great anchor for the rest of the day.

That's my opinion. But, I think every tradition within the Dharma has something to offer as an answer to your question. :)
  • Well, the truth is there really is only one kind of Buddhism, and that's the four noble truths. Buddha says that it is due to the fact that we do not understand the four noble truths that we are bound to this endless cycle of birth and death, but that if we learn to understand the four noble truths we can liberate ourselves.

• First, it all depends on your culture, lifestyle and personality. It also depends on what you mean by "enlightenment."

But if we can briefly put off the #5, I would say "Western Theravada/Vipassana" or maybe "American Vipassana" is the best path for most Western lay practicioners.

Included in this "tradition" I would say is:

Insight Meditation Society
    Insight Mediation Center
    Spirit Rock
    Against the Stream

Keep in mind though, that that this is a generalization, and many Westerners would find other traditions more useful or compelling.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I'd make a suggestion, but wanting one with a "laid back practice" pretty much kills the practice, especially with the added "in this lifetime". It's only the amount of personal effort we put into it that plants the seeds for fruition, you can't go at it half-assed and expect enlightenment.

Change "laid back practice" to "simple, straight-forward practice" and I would recommend either Zen or Thai Forest (both pragmatic traditions), with Thai Forest leaning closer to the Buddha's original words but Zen leaning closer toward no words. Of course that's just from my experience. Technically Thai Forest is a Theravada tradition and Zen is a Mahayana tradition, but that's a conventional line that blurs as you begin to see the truth of things.
  • edited May 2011
    Hi N2B,

I would definately suggest that you investigate the Theravada Thai Forest Tradition.

You might like to check this article "Compose your Minds" by Ajahn Sumedho

http://buddhismnow.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/compose-your-minds-by-ajahn-sumedho/

with kind wishes,

D.
  • Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Perhaps instead of "laid back practice" we could say: "not intending to ordain or or go beyond the five precepts". In other words, continuing the household life as normally understood.

From where I'm sitting, that seems to be the main issue. Traditionally, in some schools at least, renunication was seen as a prerequisite for the higher practices (that is, practices aimed at enlightenment/liberation). For laypeople, "merit" was seen as a more realistic goal.

Ajahn Brahm, for instance, says quite bluntly that non-celibacy is a barrier. But there seems to be a fair amount of discussion/debate about what is possible and for who -- maybe Dazzle or someone with expertise in this tradition could comment?

On another note, nembutsu is simple and straightforward practice anyone can do -- in fact it became popular among peasants and workers and even prostitutes who felt they were excluded from other practices. It can lead to enlightenment in this life. You may feel that it doesn't meet requirement #3 though...it seems hard to find one that matches all 5!
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    1. Wanted to take Buddhist practice into our modern busy life.
    -With priorities all traditions have practices that can be incorporated into modern "busy" life. As far as I'm aware, all lay traditions adhere to the 5 precepts.

2. Not many rules, rituals.
    -The 5 precepts are universal. Rituals are based on culture and tradition. Vajrayana has a LOT of rituals. Thai forest tradition and Zen are less dependent upon rituals.

3. Close to what the Buddha taught (instead of what people hoped he said and taught)
    -This is up for debate. It is impossible to know what the Buddha stated verbatum because he has been dead for 2500 years and no one wrote down what he said until 400 years after he died.

4. More laid back practice
    -I agree with @Cloud on this statement. Half-assed effort leads to half-assed results. It's difficult to find any tradition that doesnt have some sort of rigidity for the purpose of focusing one's mind. Zazen requires failry strict adherance to posture and method. Anapanasati requires adherance to very specific method as well.

5. believes one can attain enlightenment in this lifetime (coz i do believe we can)
    -Vajrayana is the only school I have heard of that believes they can, unquestionably, lead a person to enlightenment in a single lifetime. Thai Forest Tradition, as a Sravaka path, adheres to the 4 stages of enlightenment, the last of which can only be attained by dedicated monks, and even then is extremely difficult in this age of decline. The Mahayana traditions focus on the Boddhisattva path which is concerned with the perfection of the paramitas which can take incalculable lifetimes before achieving samyaksambuddhahood for the sake of all sentient life.

Desiring quick salvation will not make it go any faster. Liberation is not something that can be picked up from your local convenience store. It takes time, hard work, and determination.
  • Forgive me for being blunt but it seems that the OP is more interested in how to bend the Dhamma to one's preferences and comportment rather than the other way around.
  • Forgive me for being blunt but it seems that the OP is more interested in how to bend the Dhamma to one's preferences and comportment rather than the other way around.
    Im basically asking if there is a tradition that helps someone with work commitments. doesnt want to kneel down and chant all day..someone who is living in the real world and not pretending im living in buddhas time 2500 years ago.
    if you dont think there is a specific tradition which aims at more modern buddhism then thats ok thanks...x
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Forgive me for being blunt but it seems that the OP is more interested in how to bend the Dhamma to one's preferences and comportment rather than the other way around.
    I agree ... and which one of us hasn't done or tried to do the same? :)

• edited May 2011
    @N2B

I think we can practice and live in the "real world." I run a business, go to school, have kids but attempt to practice all the same. For me this means waking up earlier than I would to meditate for 45 minutes a day, keeping the 5 precepts and on uposatha days the 8 precepts and frequenting as many retreats and Dhamma talks as possible. It's not easy but it can be done although it requires a reordering of one's priorities. I really do wish you the best and it's a good thing to ask ourselves such questions so forgive me if I've offended. Be well.

@genkaku

Yeah, that's the rub isn't it...Metta!
  • Thankyou!!!
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    The one that works is the best. Finding that one is up to you.