Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question in Relation to Buddhism and Personal Beliefs

AmidaAmida Explorer
edited May 2011 in Philosophy
I agree with the Buddha on the Fourfold Noble Truths, and have recently decided to follow them.

I've wished to consider myself a Buddhist. But I have some personal beliefs I don't wish to change, unless evidence contradicts them. I don't hold any view with absolute certainty, only hold them because of experiences.

Is it alright to consider myself a Buddhist with these personal beliefs, or would the Buddhist Community consider me a "heretic" for claiming to be Buddhist and holding to these beliefs?

My personal beliefs are these:

1. - The Universe

This universe was not designed by a god.
By nature the universe just comes into being.
No god controls or interferes with the phsyical universe.
Natural law operates the natural.
Spirit communicates with spirit.
From an incomprehensible nondual source duality arises.
This source is pure awareness.
Where there is duality there is impermanence.

2. - Metaphorical Reincarnation

There is no literal reincarnation of individuals.
The source incarnates into psychical universes, over and over again.
If I live in burning worldly passions, I incarnate, in the mind, as a hungry demon.
If I live in sexual lust, I incarnate, in the mind, as a beast.
The mind is always dissolving and reincarnating into illusory entities.
Reincarnation (Samsara) is only in the mind.

3. - After Death

Upon the death of the phsyical body, consciousness enters a state of woe or bliss.
In the state of woe one repents of the evils done.
After repentance the one in woe joins others in a Pureland.
In the Pureland all reach Nirvana.
Upon Nirvana the illusory individual dissolves into the nondual source.
Where there is duality there is impermanence.

4. - The Pure Spirit

BUddha-nature, apart from delusions of the egoic mind, is holy and pure awareness.
This holy awareness manifests as Buddha's for those who draw upon it.
The holy awareness dwells unaffected, but manifests to the needs of the one who is drawing upon it.
This holy awareness pours out compassion in response to suffering.
Where suffering arises it is met with the compassion of the holy Buddha-nature.
This nature, apart from manifestation, dwells as nondual pure potentiality.
Beings, like bodhisattvas, draw upon this holy source in relation to the needs of those in ignorance.

5. - Karma

Karma dissolves upon Nirvana.
All past things are forgotten and dissolve upon Nirvana.
Karma from one universe does not affect the next universe that manifests.

Again, is it acceptable to believe these things and be counted a Buddhist, without being labeled a "heretic" by other Buddhists?

Comments

• VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011

Again, is it acceptable to believe these things and be counted a Buddhist, without being labeled a "heretic" by other Buddhists?
    No offence, but not exactly. What your beliefs are, is a form of Monist Idealism, more akin to Advaita Vedanta than Buddhism. They are good beliefs, as through my process I once had similar ideas before really getting into what the Buddha taught and before having direct experiences revealing their truths through direct cognition. But, these beliefs as you have listed above will lead to higher rebirth and positive evolution, most definitely. So, no worries there.

If you wish to know about Buddhism and it's cosmology, you might want to start with some Abhidhamma, then possibly move on to some Abhidharma, then maybe Abhidharmakosha and on and on?

Your understanding above still pivots upon the idea of a non-dual essential nature beyond concept, like a primordial substratum that self exists. This is not conducive to understanding dependent origination/emptiness.
  • Amida, what you're doing is reifying the formless Jhanas. The Buddha from the very earliest teachings warns against this tendency, which is a very deep and subtle tendency. Here's some explanation of the different jhanas/samadhis and where they lead.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sagga/loka.html
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    edited May 2011
    Thank you. I'll look these things over more fully. Perhaps, the label "Buddhist" isn't for me. I can draw a lot of good from the Teachings of Buddha, but I don't want to be bound to believing the words of others off a mere blind trust. If I am going to believe something without evidences, it will be something I shape from my own experiences, and not that of another. I know what I've said above has no evidence to back it, apart from in my reasoning, but I feel the same concerning these "planes of existence", etc..

I was hoping Buddhism had more freedom to hold to personal beliefs, while holding to Buddha's method of the cessation of suffering.

Thanks, again!
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Amida, Buddhism isn't about believing, it's about seeing. It's not about clinging, but about letting go. There are Buddhists who are also Christian, who believe in God, for instance. Just realize that the effectiveness of "being" a Buddhist is reduced if you're intent on clinging to beliefs; the point is to see reality for what it is, despite our beliefs, and for that knowledge to set us free.
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    Is seeing reality agreeing with the Buddha on every point when it comes to reincarnation, planes of existence, karma, etc. or is it in seeing the reality behind the Four Noble Truths and walking the way of purity?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    No, especially since he didn't teach everything in the way that modern traditions do. Those are working theories that you're supposed to keep in mind and contemplate, which may make more sense when you meditate. They also differ depending on tradition, so your best bet is to study all of the Buddhist traditions to see which one more closely fits your preferences.

http://www.buddhanet.net is a good all-around site.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @Amida -- I once asked my Zen teacher about hope and belief -- were they a necessary or desirable part of Buddhist practice? He said, "For the first four or five years of (Buddhist) practice, hope and belief are necessary. After that, they are not so necessary."

It is probably impossible to explain to anyone in a belief/hope mode that belief and hope, while understandably inspiring and energizing to begin with, simply cannot fulfill the promise of Buddhism in the long run. Why? Because hope and belief are limited and the promise of Buddhism is not.

Generally speaking, you can believe anything you please and still be a Buddhist so long as you put into practice what the intellect and lips may recite. If you want to believe that the Tooth Fairy visits on Thursdays or that bolts of lightning will set you free or that there is a benevolent or malevolent god who watches your every move and guides your footsteps ... go ahead, but keep up a determined and constant practice of such things as meditation or paying attention or taking responsibility.

Belief and hope inspire us for a while and are, in that sense, a good thing. But if you examine your own life, I think you will find that experience is the stuff that you have found most compelling and convincing. Buddhist practice introduces experience into a life that has relied on belief and hope. And experience trumps belief and hope. This is not a criticism of hope and belief. It is not to suggest that hope and belief are somehow minor matters. It is just to observe that the experience that grows with Buddhist practice makes it less necessary to believe and hope because now you know.

Be patient. Be constant. Be determined.

Just my take.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Thank you. I'll look these things over more fully. Perhaps, the label "Buddhist" isn't for me. I can draw a lot of good from the Teachings of Buddha, but I don't want to be bound to believing the words of others off a mere blind trust.
    Thank goodness for that! Any person that thinks this is what is required, would definitely be on the wrong track... you are most certainly not expected, required or bound to 'believe' anything at all - particularly the words of others....Blind Trust is an anathema to a Buddhist...
    If I am going to believe something without evidences, it will be something I shape from my own experiences, and not that of another.
    Even your own experience will be a form of evidence.... we learn from the experiences of others, but use them to gauge them the level of credibility.
    if it sits well with us, and we find it reliable, even the words of others can feed our progress....
    I know what I've said above has no evidence to back it, apart from in my reasoning, but I feel the same concerning these "planes of existence", etc..
    If this is what you have tried and tested to your satisfaction, then currently it is what holds truth for you....
    I was hoping Buddhism had more freedom to hold to personal beliefs, while holding to Buddha's method of the cessation of suffering.

Thanks, again!
    Personal beliefs - like any other truth, or information - deserve the same kind of scrutiny.
    I confess I had several pre-conceived convictions, or personal beliefs which were absolute and concrete in my mind.
    Now - I wonder what on earth made me ever consider those things as important, in the first place..... :)

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I agree with the other posters, the path isn't about accumulating beliefs. There's no Buddhist punchcard that rewards you with a free Nirvana once you adopt enough beliefs. Direct experience and mental transformation are the only things that will get you to the promised land. Beliefs and teachings only point the way, transforming your mind is walking the path.
  • Amida,
    this is very simple.. the first thing you wrote is:

''I agree with the Buddha on the Fourfold Noble Truths, and have recently decided to follow them''

If you have decided to follow them then you can consider yourself a buddhist.
    Its all about what you want from buddhim..there isnt any RULES...
    I personally DONT believe in 'reincarnation' and quite frankly i dont care what happens after i die..i am more concerned with how i act NOW-TODAY.

Buddhas teachings help me be kinder, calmer, relaxed, wiser etc etc...
    I love the feeling after a meditation session..

I consider myself a Buddhist.
    I havent read any other comments here because i dont need to. im not talking to them, i just wanted to answer your question.

As long as you follow buddhas 'original teaching' which was 4 noble truths and 8 fold path then you can believe whatever else you want.
    if your benifiting from buddhas teachings then you are a buddhist.

Dont get caught up with all the added commentry added over the years...
    When in fact, deep down all answers are within you, and buddhas teachings are just a little guide to help us on the way.

best wishes on your path. x
  • My suggestion is give yourself some time. Talk to people who are experts in that field, or who are respected as such, and research as much as you can. Find out how many different answers there are from different people on the beliefs you already have. If you read something about Buddhism that disagrees with your current beliefs, I am pretty sure you can go directly to the author. If not, I'm sure one of their representatives can shed some light into that subject. But at least you will either have a valid argument against your current beliefs or you will get a better understanding of how you should really look at it.

with metta
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @Amida, Buddhism isn't about believing, it's about seeing. It's not about clinging, but about letting go. There are Buddhists who are also Christian, who believe in God, for instance. Just realize that the effectiveness of "being" a Buddhist is reduced if you're intent on clinging to beliefs; the point is to see reality for what it is, despite our beliefs, and for that knowledge to set us free.
    I think Cloud is on the right track, and stated it very well.

I am one of those "Buddhists who are also Christian, who believe in God".

The very first book about Buddhism I ever picked up was in English, but was a Thai Theravada book...wish I still had it so I could quote the preface exactly, but to paraphrase it said that as you read this book about the beliefs of Buddhism, accept what you can and incorporate those things into your life. Some things may not resonated with you now or ever, but some things may resonate with you later after you have had more time to contemplate the principles of Buddhist thought. And, while other people may have had different experiences, monks I have talked with have always said you can be both a Buddhist and a Christian.

But that does take a little independence. In the years since the mid-1980s I went almost exclusively to Buddhist temples,primarily while I visited (two months each year) and lived (for a year-and-a-half) in Thailand. After moving back to the States a year ago, I began attending a Methodist Church more frequently, primarily for the fellowship, but also because it provides a setting where I can focus and contemplate more easily. I don't consider my Methodist time, I consider it my spiritual time. I think about Christian principles while I am there, and I think about Buddhist principles while I am there. What I really attempt to do is constantly reconsider my beliefs...as Cloud put it, I try not to cling to my long-held or even recent beliefs.

I don't plan to become a "member" of that church because I won't recite a pledge they require...because it contains things I don't believe. And that is the freedom of Buddhism. It's a personal belief system unrestrained by rules and regulations, because as one Thai Theravadan monk explained once to me -- everything you need for Buddhism is right here -- and he pointed to his head.

• AmidaAmida Explorer
    Thanks, Everyone. Your comments have been helpful.

When I say these are my personal beliefs, I mean I entertain them in relation to my personal experiences, but I don't cling to them with absolute certainty.

My highest view is: There is what is. I am open to whatever that is. By remaining open and not placing faith in mental concepts, I possess all there is to possess, by letting it be.

I think it's best not to cling to labels, like "Buddhist" or another, but to wear them as garments when the need arises. I guess one can wear the garment "Buddhist" or "Christian" when trying to point to where they are on this journey, but the label itself is empty.

So, I guess, as the need arises I'll incarnate as a label form, point, and then dissolve back into emptiness, which is the true state. When one becomes nothing, they are free to be all things, as the need arises.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Amida, There is no dissolving back into emptiness; there is only emptiness, even when we think otherwise. Good luck. :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2011
    My highest view is: There is what is.

@Amida -- Without disrespect or criticism: To the extent anyone entertains a "highest view," there will always be lower and lowest views that are left out, pushed to the side or found wanting. My understanding is that in Buddhism nothing is left out ... or included either.

A "highest" or "most compelling" view is not a bad thing or a lowly thing. But the question begs to be asked and answered: "Who says so?"
  • AmidaAmida Explorer
    @Cloud, I see your point. :)

@genkaku, perhaps, I should have said, "When I exhaust myself trying to figure things out, then realize I don't know anything with certainty, I fall back on this view, and this view, when experienced, gives me peace."
  • @Amida I can relate to you, I also have a sorts of 'higher view' after thinking about these things way too much. What I did learn for myself is that spending a long time thinking about these things has not really gotten me anywhere. So I can really relate to "exhaust myself".

I think if we look at it logically we can see how a bit silly it all is. We know a lot of these questions are impossible to answer yet we are trying to find the right answer or at least close to one. So we are looking for answers where we know is impossible to find one. I think its best to find answers elsewhere and never exhaust ourselves looking for answers where there are none.