Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone know of any Buddhist related movies where a guy sets of in search for self or meaning...

N2BN2B
edited May 2011 in Faith & Religion
Cheers

Comments

• sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    Atlantic City
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Well, there's Circle of Iron, original screenplay by Bruce Lee and supposed to be his statement about Zen and the search for Enlightenment. Heavily rewritten after his death and in my opinion, turned into an incomprehensible mess.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2011
    You might like the movie Samsara, you can watch it for free on You Tube. Here's part 1 of 5:

Baraka is another nice one, its not really about what your post was but you can see it for free too if you don't mind the subtitles.

• cheers guys!
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I always liked "The Cup" for its quiet willingness not to hammer Buddhism to death. Since it takes place in a real Buddhist monastery, of course there is Buddhism available. But the story is what leads. For a louder approach, though there is far less talking, "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring" is interesting. And for a somewhat bizarre (and occasionally hilarious) take on Zen Buddhism, there is "Zen Noir." This last is a bit top-heavy with effort, but there are touching and apt observations as well. The first two, I think I remember, have subtitles. The last is in English.
  • Kung Fu! Come on, man!
  • "The Razor's Edge" with Bill Murray- not the old one. I saw it 17 times. It's not a comedy, but it's definitely Bill Murray.
  • I don't know of any films that are like the old fairy tales, where the hero sets out on a quest. The closest thing I can think of is Lion King, haha! But "Milarepa" has that quality. He sets out to learn sorcery to avenge his mother's tormentors, but ends up learning important life lessons. And that's only Part I. Part II hasn't been produced yet.
  • auraaura Veteran
    "Groundhog Day"...
    A comedy in which the guy doesn't set out in search of either self or meaning, but the cosmos drags him there, kicking and screaming pretty much all the way with yet another round on the wheel, until he gets things right.
  • "Waking Life" is one of my favorites, amongst plenty of the above mentioned movies.

Seriously! This is one of the most unique movies ever produced!

IMHO... check out the trailer:

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    Probably the best film about religion, "The Nun's Story" is about how a woman loses her faith. My favorite film of the "finding himself" sort is "Joe Versus the Volcano" Joe is told he has a terminal illness and decides life should be lived happily. His interactions with his depressed friends are subtly humorous.
  • maartenmaarten Veteran
    I found 'Into the wild' to be an inspiring, impressive and moving film. It's about a guy who heads for Alaska to live in nature, isolated from human society.
  • This one is a good movie: Enlightenment Guaranteed http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0177749/. Official trailer
  • I'm not sure if this fits your request- IP MAN-he was the grandmaster of Wing Chun and mentor of Bruce Lee. The movie is set during the Sino-Japanese War.
    IP Man was known for his courage and humility and fought for the honor of his country.
  • I (Heart) Huckabees, was pretty funny... and I if I recall right, it had some zen undertones. It's one of my favorite movies, but if you don't like quirky indie films then you may not like it. It's about a man who hires some existential detectives to follow him around, and help explain the meaning behind some coincidences in his life. But that description doesn't give it justice. I thought it was hilarious, Jude Law with boobs, Mark Wahlberg as a fire fighter dealing with anger issues at big petroleum... riding his bike to the fire. Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin and Jason Schwartsman are also in it.
  • SabreSabre Veteran