Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who thinks the Matrix movies are simular to Buddhist Philosophy?

N2BN2B
edited May 2011 in Arts & Writings
Amazing movies by the way. We all got to agree with that. :)

Comments

• SandalWoodSandalWood Explorer
    I never thought about The Matrix being similar to Buddhist philosophy but I did enjoy the first movie -- a lot. Please, how is the movie similar?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I never thought about The Matrix being similar to Buddhist philosophy but I did enjoy the first movie -- a lot. Please, how is the movie similar?
    The "matrix" is a world of illusion and Neo awakes to reality.

NEO: What is the Matrix?
    MORPHEUS: Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream, Neo? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world?

If you want to read more:

http://www.thedailyenlightenment.com/matrix.htm
    edited May 2011
    So, you're saying that this world we live in is a dream world and the real world is something different? Are you referring to enlightenment?
    So, you're saying that this world we live in is a dream world and the real world is something different? Are you referring to enlightenment?
    Yes, though the Matrix only borrows from Buddhism, it's unlikely that when we become enlightened we find that we've actually been a battery for machines all this time.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    when we see reality as it is that is seeing with the eyes of enlightenment.
    when we project concepts and beliefs onto reality. that is seeing the world through our limited conditioning.

the matrix is like the dream in our heads. all those stories we make about ourselves and others. all the little interpretations that we believe in.

when we just see things as they, instead of how we want them to be then that is escaping the matrix.
    but once you realize the matrix, you can play in the matrix knowing that it is a dream.

fun stuff. oh and no one can save you except yourself. there is no messiah other than ones own effort.
    Also Keanu Reeves played the Buddha in "Little Buddha", so thats kind of a connection. :p
    Also Keanu Reeves played the Buddha in "Little Buddha", so thats kind of a connection. :p
    I know a lot of folks didn't like that movie but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the story in a story, with Keanu Reeves as the Buddha, more than the main front story.

I know a lot of folks didn't like that movie but I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the story in a story, with Keanu Reeves as the Buddha, more than the main front story.
    You can watch just the Buddhs's story part of the movie here:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-life-of-buddha/

You can watch just the Buddhs's story part of the movie here:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/the-life-of-buddha/

Thank you for the link. I have that 2004 doc on DVD -- bought it several years ago.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    This is all interesting and totally unnecessary:)
    Unnecessary? Sorry, I'm new to this site so please explain.

• i loved the movie, 'little buddha' with keanu reeves.
    decribes buddhism very well. :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

Just let it be.

Just let it be.
    Now you've got me thinking I posted something wrong. I'll stop posting until this is cleared up.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Nope this is a forum and posts like this should be allowed.
    Keep at it.
  • This is all interesting and totally unnecessary:)

I think he was only stating the fact. Sure the topic is fun and interesting but totally unnecessary at the same time. Discussing how a movie similiar to Buddhism has no application and it is only for entertaining and that is why it is unnecessary.
    Well, this reply post was also unnecessary:) and if you want to reply me back, that will also be unnecessary:)

• Movies take theme from philosphies and religions all da time. Messages is warped etc.