Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

it's "me" again

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
In the start-up arena of Buddhist practice, there is identification and naming of those items that hinder the path. "Attachment," perhaps, or "ego" or "suffering" or "anger" or "impatience" or ... well, you can name them better than I. Secretly or not so secretly these "barriers" are the stuff someone might wish to vanquish or tame or just plain get rid of. And so the sword of practice is raised against our enemies. It's no easy task, identifying, investigating, watching like a hawk, being defeated and then rising again, enjoying the break-throughs only to fall flat on your ass. It's no job for sissies.

Blood, sweat and tears and the years pass.

But what crossed my mind today and I wondered what you might think: At some point -- some unnameable point -- there must be a loving and clear-headed return to all the enemies we may have worked so hard to defeat. The "self" that was transformed into "no self" (for lack of a better term), is returned because there is no other choice but "self." It may be a newly-minted "self," but is it really all that different from the same fool who identified and categorized and then set off to clarify this life?

The Zen teacher Rinzai once lit a fire under his monks when he addressed the assembly and said tartly, "Your whole problem is that you do not trust yourselves enough."

I dunno ... just wondering what your take might be.

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There's no self to destroy or to recreate, only delusions to shatter. We put a spotlight on these delusions when we ask "what is this ego/self anyway?" and find ourselves unable to point to anything other than the aggregates, which are themselves ownerless and transient.
  • From TRANSCENDENTAL EXPERIENCE IN RELATION TO RELIGION AND PSYCHOSIS 
    by the late Scottish psychiatrist R. D. Laing:

"True sanity entails in one way or another the dissolution of the normal ego, that false self competently adjusted to our alienated social reality: the emergence of the "inner" archetypal mediators of divine power, and through this death a rebirth, and the eventual reestablishment of a new kind of ego-functioning, the ego now being the servant of the Divine, no longer its betrayer."

http://www.mindfire.ca/Transcendental Experience in Relation to Religion & Psychoses.htm
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    genkaku,
    IMO there is nothing to strive for, nothing to perfect, nothing to defeat. Maybe I might have began this path with some idea of perfecting myself or defeating my shadows, this I have given up knowing as Dipa Ma states "Your mind is all stories"
    I am starting, just starting, not to believe my mind anymore.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    What Cloud said.
  • genkaku,
    Don't separate your mind from everything else around you. See it as a part of the whole, a function in the big scheme of things. Don't you trust everything that is around you, the sun rising in the east?
  • edited May 2011
    There's no self to destroy or to recreate, only delusions to shatter. We put a spotlight on these delusions when we ask "what is this ego/self anyway?" and find ourselves unable to point to anything other than the aggregates, which are themselves ownerless and transient.
    A question for you, when you realize that there's no self, only aggregates, what remains? Is there anything that still remains, what do you do with that knowledge of aggregates? I'm looking for answers to these myself, so would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
  • ToshTosh Veteran

A question for you, when you realize that there's no self, only aggregates, what remains? Is there anything that still remains, what do you do with that knowledge of aggregates? I'm looking for answers to these myself, so would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
    The Buddha taught that there is nothing outside of the five aggregates i.e we have no 'soul'; no egoic form that lasts for all eternity. From my limited understanding, the aggregates are just a framework we can use to explore the 'self' with; to see if we can find an inherently sold 'I'. So when people say there is no "I", that does not mean we don't exist. If "I" don't exist then no-one else does, so who are all these sentient beings that I am trying to develop love and compassion for?

So I'm pretty sure that 'I' does exist, but not in the way that I perceive 'I' to exist.

The Theravada writer, Walpola Rahula says:

'It must be repeated here that according to Buddhist philosophy there is no permanent, unchanging spirit which can be considered 'Self', or 'Soul', or 'Ego', as opposed to matter, and that consciousness should not be taken as 'spirit' in opposition to matter. This point has to be particularly emphasized, because a wrong notion that consciouness is a sort of Self or Soul that continues as a permanent substance through life, has persisted from the earliest time to the present day."

It's all very confusing isn't it? I'm taught that if I keep listening and reading about these sort of teachings, contemplating and then meditating on them, that it all will become clearer.

• Blood, sweat and tears and the years pass.

But what crossed my mind today and I wondered what you might think: At some point -- some unnameable point -- there must be a loving and clear-headed return to all the enemies we may have worked so hard to defeat. The "self" that was transformed into "no self" (for lack of a better term), is returned because there is no other choice but "self." It may be a newly-minted "self," but is it really all that different from the same fool who identified and categorized and then set off to clarify this life?

The Zen teacher Rinzai once lit a fire under his monks when he addressed the assembly and said tartly, "Your whole problem is that you do not trust yourselves enough."

I dunno ... just wondering what your take might be.
    Years indeed.

Why does it have to be the same again, genkaku?

Or is that 'same, but different' (or relive your karma again!)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    genkaku,
    Don't separate your mind from everything else around you. See it as a part of the whole, a function in the big scheme of things. Don't you trust everything that is around you, the sun rising in the east?
    The wind blows through the trees, my children let out yells and screams in their play,and at this moment I feel emotionally unsettled (not because of anything in particular). Everything is as it should be, free of stories and concepts about my perceptions.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Nothing changes except your perspective. Nothing is lost or gained, you just see things clearly for what they are, and in seeing them clearly you no longer think, speak or act in ways that bring suffering upon yourself or others. You stop trying to distance yourself from the world and have views of spiritual-immortality because you understand no separate "I" ever existed to begin with, everything you are has always existed and has been mind and form on and on, there's no one born to die and no reason to be afraid or struggle.

That's a poor answer, but it's not something easily put in words. The mind just wants to be happy, and that's what we spend our lives trying to do... satisfy that want. Since nothing is stable, we can never truly satisfy our cravings. When we see the instability and the selflessness of reality, the wanting itself goes away, and we never need to ask questions again to find peace. We simply are at peace all the time!
  • Society has raised our thinking into their marketing strategy and dogmatism. There are some of us that choose not to believe that humans are equal in nature. This would go against the thinking that one being may be superior over another, such as humans are superior to animals etc. If one does not believe that human beings are born of the same elements, then, one does not believe that the elements come to an end in the same manner, except for enlightened beings of course.

For those that can see that we are made up of the same elements, and at the break up of the body, release those same elements back to nature, then one can see that there is a point of reference when referring to the ending of something. And so the idea, thought, knowledge and understanding of "self" can be believed to have and ending. Just knowing this is sufficient enough to believe that "self-less" can be understood and achieved, and once it is achieved it should definitely not return, just as those elements do not return.