Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why do some Buddhist temples treat the monks bad (as if its the army) They SHOUT and HIT them..

edited May 2011 in Sanghas
Ive heard this many times, that some temples are very strict to the practising monks..
And im reading a book at the minute called 'Eat.Sleep.Sit'
It is a 1 year diary of a man who left all he had to spend a year at a Buddhist temple in japan.

But what he went through and witnessed are some horrible stuff. One monk wasnt unpacking his suitcase fast enough so the head Monk came up and Slapped him across the face and screamed at him. (gets alot worse)

My question is WHY be like this? Buddha wouldnt have been like this?
Buddhism is all about helping each other learn, and grow. and help each other end our suffering.
I havent got to any part where he explains 'why' they hit the monks and force them to not eat if they do something wrong.
Could anyone enlighten me alittle here please?

((I feel if i read on it could really throw me OFF buddhism))

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yeah it doesn't seem very Buddhist to me either. I suppose its probably some cultural phenomena, I'm not very familiar with Japanese culture though.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Well, let's talk about it, but all I have is second hand reports so perhaps you'll get a different answer from someone who has actually attended a Japanese Renzai temple, for those are the main places where such physical abuse happens.

See, some Japanese Zen temples, unlike temples from other cultures, were embraced, funded, and operated by the warrior class. Retired military, disabled military, and even disgraced samurai or just those who came out on the losing end of a battle would end up a monk. For a warrior, it was that or suicide or become a bandit. As you might expect, these military minds brought their discipline and way of teaching to the temple, and that was often extreme, brutal, and accepted no excuses. Japanese Renzai in particular developed a reputation of the boot camp version of a zen meditation hall.

Used correctly by Masters who actually rarely used the stick and then only to shock the student into a different way of thinking at the right time, it was effective and we have many Zen stories that involve at least threats of hitting. But unfortunately, especially moving into the present time, the lineage and teaching seems to have deteriorated in some temples and now we have Masters who simply use physical abuse to enforce discipline or simply out of anger.

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    i've heard a story based on shunryu suzuki early upbringing at a monastery in japan. i've heard he was abused by his teacher. i'm sure it happens. power corrupts always unless there is love.

but idk if you can paint all buddhist temples like this. it's probably more on an individual level.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Ive heard this many times, that some temples are very strict to the practising monks..
    And im reading a book at the minute called 'Eat.Sleep.Sit'
    It is a 1 year diary of a man who left all he had to spend a year at a Buddhist temple in japan.

But what he went through and witnessed are some horrible stuff. One monk wasnt unpacking his suitcase fast enough so the head Monk came up and Slapped him across the face and screamed at him. (gets alot worse)

My question is WHY be like this? Buddha wouldnt have been like this?
    Buddhism is all about helping each other learn, and grow. and help each other end our suffering.
    I havent got to any part where he explains 'why' they hit the monks and force them to not eat if they do something wrong.
    Could anyone enlighten me alittle here please?

((I feel if i read on it could really throw me OFF buddhism))
    This temple is THE most rigorous Zen temple in all of Japan. Some people don't like this style of teaching, some people find it quite uplifting because it forces them to maintain strict discipline. It's basically a "boot camp". Certainly not for beginners. Here they practice "tough compassion" and the purpose is to "break you" of your ego. similar to how a horse is "broken". Which is certainly not for everyone. It's just a different style of teaching. However, very few temples are like this. None outside of Japan that I know of.

• Thanks all. :-)
  • I know i defo wouldnt like this type of teaching. I feel very sad for some of the monks im reading about. But your right, it is much like a 'boot camp' so suppose it makes sense if thats what you want.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    Yeah other than Zen, I hadn't heard of anything like this. Enlightened masters will use all sorts of techniques to awaken the minds of others, being otherwise powerless (they're only sights and sounds after all, most of the time). If it wasn't an enlightened master and rather just a cruel technique used, as you say, like in the army...
  • I've heard of Tibetan lamas hitting students, and witnessed some being quite rude to students and considering it a "teaching". Some believe that abuse combats the ego. I think some teachers aren't as skillful as they believe themselves to be.
  • edited May 2011
    Hi,

This is a cultural style or influence and not part of the Buddha's teaching. In certain countries during a particular period, it is normal for teachers to discipline their students with a ruler in a regular school setting. That probably gets transferred over into certain zen school in that location as well .It is not endorsed by the Buddha:

"…..This is the way that leads to health ( in future life ), that is to say, not to be one who harms beings with his hands or with clods or with sticks or with knives."- Cula-kammavibhanga sutta

" He dwells with his rod laid down, his knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, compassionate for the welfare of all living beings. "-Culahatthipadopama Sutta

"And how is a bhikkhu possessed of moral discipline? Abandoning the taking of life, he abstains from the taking of life. He dwells with his rod laid down, his knife laid down, scrupulous, merciful, compassionate for the welfare of all living beings. This is part of moral discipline. "- Potthapāda Sutta

With metta,
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Another place this has been talked about: http://www.zenguide.com/forum/view.cfm?topicid=6817
  • Man, this is old school samurai stuff lol. There is so much etiquette in old Japan. I know all about it since I did Kendo for several years, often with fresh off the boat style teachers. I knew zen schools were tough from visiting them a few times, but I didn't think they got this tough.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    A friend reported from his reading of Milarepa's life:

"Marpa the Translator, who was Milarepa's root teacher, was satisfyingly (to me) irritable and kept yelling "More beer!" at his poor but adoring wife, Dakmema; but I think it was all a ploy to make Milarepa suffer for his sins before he could get enlightened."
  • It's true, I think this is exclusive to Zen in Japan, and maybe not all Zen temples in Japan.

It's also true that this sort of behavior is not uncommon in Japanese culture between a Teacher and student (master & student, employer & employee, parents & children, etc.). It's often the case that reprimands can be harsh in these relationships and even physical. Students in school often had to endure harsh physical punishments when out of line. Maybe not so much anymore. This is a severe case, but I saw a teacher flip out on a student in weekend Japanese school (in the U.S.) who was spitting spit balls at him when he turned around. I was in on it also, but he happened to see my friend doing it when he turned around. They got into a brawl and the teacher ended up breaking a broom stick over the kids back, and then stormed out the room slamming the door and also breaking the glass window on the door. A common punishment for students back in the days in Japan was one where you had to kneel on your knees with two thin wooden sticks under your knees. There is also the one where you hold two buckets of water with arms extended to the sides.

Theravada temples are strict in other ways such as adherence to vows, and certain behaviors. Breaking them can get you disrobed.