Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Breathing Through DiaphragmThrough the Stomach?

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited June 2011 in Meditation
Breathing Through Diaphragm Through the Stomach?

Comments

• Air does permeates so that is correct.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Impossible.
    The stomach does not breathe, and the diaphragm separates lungs form abdomen.

What you are doing is permitting the diaphragm to relax, and filling the lungs until they shift the abdomen and internal organs.

There are several Yogic exercises which entail "Directing the breath" to several areas, but stomach breathing isn't one of them.

Your stomach can fill with air. That's why you burp. But it's not part of any breathing discipline.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...What....?

:scratch: :wtf:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I meant to ask, is that okay? Or through the nose? Which way is better?
    Breathing Through Diaphragm or Through the Stomach? Or through the nose? Which way is, "better."
    Nose.
    Mouth risks filling the stomach with air and causing bloating and discomfort.
    Research yoga nasal breathing.
    It's pretty intricate and integral to the discipline.
    Nose.
    Mouth risks filling the stomach with air and causing bloating and discomfort.
    Research yoga nasal breathing.
    It's pretty intricate and integral to the discipline.
    Wow!
    That makes so much sense!
    What about when doing Yoga?
    Some suggest that breathing through the stomach might be beneficial?
    It cleanses the body?
  • MY OPINION: It doesn't matter really. When you are in single minded focus your whole body will adapt to everything, as opposed to us "trying" to make it adapt.

It cleanses the body?
    Could you indicate a link?

The stomach doesn't - or can't - breathe.
    There is a stomach-cleansing exercise, but it involves salt water and a long strip of sterile linen.

You don't want to go there.....

:crazy:

It cleanses the body?
    Could you indicate a link?

The stomach doesn't - or can't - breathe.
    There is a stomach-cleansing exercise, but it involves salt water and a long strip of sterile linen.

You don't want to go there.....

:crazy:
    I will try to find a link, but I see where you getting at.
    Thanks!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think what you're asking about is diaphragmatic breathing, not actually taking air into and out of the stomach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphragmatic_breathing

"This deep breathing is marked by expansion of the abdomen rather than the chest when breathing. It is generally considered a healthier and fuller way to ingest oxygen[1], and is often used as a therapy for hyperventilation, anxiety disorders and stuttering."

• This is a Taoist exercise: lie flat on the ground,put your hands on your lower abdomen.,now breathe so that your chest stays still,but your abdomen rises.Repeat seveal times -with some practice you will be able to do this in any position.it increases your lung capacity by increasing room for the lungs to expand into and keeps your diaphragm and solar plexus supple.It is also stimulates your root chakra,increasing your physical and sexual energy,in general. You can then use that energy for tantric exercises,or circulate it to higher centers.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    I feel like soon there will be altars for the god of breath haha.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited June 2011
    no one really "breaths" with the stomach. Yes you can put air in it, but it does not transfere oxygen like the lungs do, and you would have to swallow the air to get it in your stomach.

I will say though, as a singing teacher I do tell children to breath with the stomach, because it automatically makes them breath with the diaphragm. I actually teach something similar to the Taoist exercise above, although not for tantric reasons. Just to help students learn to breath with the diaphragm and develop breath control for singing long notes, and increasing power without strain.

for Meditation I think it is generally suggested that it is best to breath through the nose, unless your sinus' are congested.
  • From what I get the best breathing is done by "using" your diaphragm and from what I get that it means that you move the diaphragm is such a way that allows for maximum lung expansion.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Leon, you have the right idea, you just phrased it in such a way as to throw some people off. You inhale slowly through your nose, pushing the breath down AS IF pushing it into your belly with your diaphragm. So instead of your lungs moving as with regular breath, your belly moves instead.

So push the breath down, then hold for a second or two, and slowly let it up, watching it in the mind's eye as it goes up and into your mouth and out your mouth (or nose). Very slowly. Push the last of the breath out, then hold 1 second. Begin again. You should be able to slow the breath to 2 breaths/minute or so this way. This is what results in a calming of the nervous system, and better ability to quiet the mind and focus on the breath. I"m here, if you have questions.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    To do this you don't tense the stomach and make it rise and fall. Instead relax the stomach and it rises and falls on its own. Its very relaxing.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Thanks, Jeffrey, good note.
  • Breathing involves the whole respiratory system which includes some "abdominal area" muscles.
    May all beings be happy. :buck: