Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are distractions during meditation useful?

santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
edited June 2011 in Meditation
I realize that it takes more skill to meditate where its noisy and the most awkward of places. If this is so, I've often wondered if I should create a distraction such as turning the radio or TV on. What do you think?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    There was a Zen fellow whose name I have forgotten who once said, "The hard stuff is easy. It's the easy stuff that's hard." When times are tough, everyone looks for a life preserver like Buddhism. But when everything is coming up roses, few think to seek out an honest solution.

There are enough distractions in life. No need to add to them. Pay attention and take responsibility for what does not require fabrication.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Emm its correct to see distractions as a teacher, but thats a kind of wrong practice.

Why?:

-it is recommended in the suttas to choose a remote quiet location.
    -it is recommended to be "quite secluded from sensorial desire".
    -U wont be able to develop your mindfulness if u are having to much data and to much movements of mind.

• jinzangjinzang Veteran
    "Are distractions during meditation useful?"

You need to be distracted when your mind wanders so you can go back to letting your mind wander.
  • Turning the radio or TV on while you are meditating would be counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve. In order to get into the first Jhana you have to be secluded from sensual pleasures and secluded from unwholesome states. How can you be secluded from sensual pleasures if your listening to the TV or the radio?
    Your mind probably has enough distractions in it already. Why not try and use those to strengthen your meditation practice? :)
    -Tikal
  • Turning the radio or TV on while you are meditating would be counterproductive to what you are trying to achieve. In order to get into the first Jhana you have to be secluded from sensual pleasures and secluded from unwholesome states. How can you be secluded from sensual pleasures if your listening to the TV or the radio?
    Your mind probably has enough distractions in it already. Why not try and use those to strengthen your meditation practice? :)
    -Tikal

I was just wondering that maybe if we were already aware that they are part of unwholesomeness that maybe we can use them to benefit and strengthen our endurance to those unwholesome distractions.

metta
  • No, because by doing so you would simply be imposing unnecessary resistance towards your meditation upon yourself. Why would you want to make your meditation harder? Don't you want to be happy? :)
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    just watch. distractions aren't distractions. they are just objects of awareness. so just watch them to.
    is there a difference between a distraction and something that isn't a distraction? no because these are labels from the judging mind. the purpose of meditation is to allow everything to be as it is.
    so just allow everything to be as it is. and sit and be aware that is all. just sit and watch nothing more.

but assuming you know all that and you want to learn how to meditate in an environment that isn't suitable or practical then try breaking down what meditation is so maybe you can do it while in a crowded street. to me meditation is just being aware
    of the mental objects and the various objects that enter through the senses. watch it all without overlaying ideas on top.

since it is that simple it can be done anywhere.

if you need that added sound or distraction to realize the silence then try it out. might help, might not.
  • No, because by doing so you would simply be imposing unnecessary resistance towards your meditation upon yourself. Why would you want to make your meditation harder? Don't you want to be happy? :)
    Hi santhisouk, Tikal2012, all,
    Yeah. Why go looking for trouble? If you impose it, I suppose it's technically not distraction. Are you getting bored? You do mean sitting still (not walking) meditation, right?
    May all you all find the causes of true happiness within.
    bucky

• If this is so, I've often wondered if I should create a distraction such as turning the radio or TV on. What do you think?
    My experience has been that there are always plenty of distrations within the mind, there is no need to add to them. ;-)

spiny
  • I remember seeing this video of different people meditating in different places to overcome the their fears such as the morgue, cemeteries, next to a dead body etc. and so it made me wonder if creating this type of distraction would actually be useful.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    I would say, master calming the mind without distraction. Then you need only step out into the world to add distraction.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Many meditations do not have jhana as the goal. My teacher says that some of the jhanas cannot be worked with to attain insight. If that is the case then there is no harm in experimentation.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    I wouldn't advise you to add distractions to your practice, but if distractions do arise it would be beneficial to integrate them into your practice. For example if you hear a siren outside, you can use it as an object of meditation. Don't be discouraged if you lose focus, simply bring it back and continue to meditate. Concentration can be lost even in the most silent and serene places. The true goal is to master your mind, not the world around you.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    The practice of meditation is one of removing distractions, not adding them. :D
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I must say I sometimes challenge my meditation to see how deep I can go under harder circumstances, like meditating in busy train stations. It turns out to go quite good and it learns you something. Also I meditate every day in a usually noisy subway (with the danger of missing my stop :p ) . But I wouldn't advice anybody to practice like this instead of silent practice. Just do it a few times if you are interested.

If you are skilled in meditation you'll find it is even possible to shut yourself off from outside noise when it is quite loud. But other than knowing that it'll not give you anything special.

If you are not that skilled in meditation yet it'll probably only add nuisances and distractions and it'll be like swimming while holding a 20 pound rock: not that nice.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    From the book I'm currently reading:

The next point to consider is that, when you first begin to practice, it is helpful to meditate in an environment where you are removed from distractions. This advice is usually given to beginners. Ideally you retreat to an isolated place where you're not so easily distracted. This is because in the midst of distractions, it is easy to be diverted by unwholesome companions and others who influence you to stray from the direction that you've taken. On the other hand, there are those who choose to practice in isolated places like cemeteries in order to be among the gods and spirits.

All of the different distractions that arise are valid in that they tend to lead you from your course. You may worry about possessions, relatives, get caught up in some other bad habits, or get carried away by the distractions that other humans cause. On the other hand, if you go to a burial ground to practice, you can train in an environment where there are non-human spirits. If you can stabilize the mind in such an unruly environment, then your training will deepen, and the mind will become more peaceful.

Gyatrul Rinpoche. Meditation, Transformation, and Dream Yoga (pp. 59-60). Kindle Edition.
  • Thanks mugzy. I knew there was more to this... I'm not sure when the day will come where I would find myself wanting to meditate in the middle of the cemetery after midnight. :D

metta