Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Homeopathic remedies: fact or fraud?

DaozenDaozen Veteran
edited June 2011 in General Banter
By my understanding, homeopathic remedies are basically water due to severe dilution of the original ingredient.

Given that, how can it work beyond the placebo effect?

It's kind of alarming to me how many people seem to believe in these so-called remedies.

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    you said it man. placebo!

the mind when convinced can make many insane things into reality. say such as an ego.
    also the mind can also create diseases that have no causes. thus if given "medicine" it might "help" the "disease".

people are crazy!!!
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran

the mind when convinced can make many insane things into reality. say such as an ego.
    also the mind can also create diseases that have no causes. thus if given "medicine" it might "help" the "disease".

people are crazy!!!
    They sure are!
    I am crazy too!
    We all are!:)
    We all believe in our spiritual growth, but in reality we are all stuck and confused.
    The best thing to do is to stay with simplicity.
  • fraud
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011

people are crazy!!!
    They sure are!
    I am crazy too!
    We all are!:)
    We all believe in our spiritual growth, but in reality we are all stuck and confused.
    The best thing to do is to stay with simplicity.
    :)

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    I remember you Daozen, from a couple of threads that deal with electromagnetic fields and similar phenomena. You seem biased against that sort of thing. But energy medicine is here to stay. Have you ever heard of NAET or BioSet? They are allergy treatments that program the body to not be allergic, using something akin to homeopathic remedies. Autoimmune diseases (thyroid disease, lupus) have been cured by that method. I have the medical lab tests to prove it cured my thyroid disease.

I've been given homeopathics that have done nothing, but I've been given ones (it depends on how good the practitioner is, and the diagnostic tools they use, etc.) that caused a brief reaction after I took them, and did help ameliorate symptoms. I think this is like the problem with clairvoyant mediums. There are so many outright fakes out there, along with those who have only a very weak or minimal gift, that people come to the conclusion it's all fake.

Sorta like Tibetan lamas; the Lamrim says that to find one who is knowledgeable and ethical is one in a million, a needle in a haystack. One could easily conclude that most are fakes and lechers.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Hi Dakini
    I remember you Daozen, from a couple of threads that deal with electromagnetic fields and similar phenomena. You seem biased against that sort of thing.
    I haven't got anything personal against electromagnetism :) I don't remember those threads sorry.
    But energy medicine is here to stay. Have you ever heard of NAET or BioSet? They are allergy treatments that program the body to not be allergic, using something akin to homeopathic remedies. Autoimmune diseases (thyroid disease, lupus) have been cured by that method. I have the medical lab tests to prove it cured my thyroid disease.
    No, i haven't heard of these. I might look them up though, thanks.
    I've been given homeopathics that have done nothing, but I've been given ones (it depends on how good the practitioner is, and the diagnostic tools they use, etc.) that caused a brief reaction after I took them, and did help ameliorate symptoms. I think this is like the problem with clairvoyant mediums. There are so many outright fakes out there, along with those who have only a very weak or minimal gift, that people come to the conclusion it's all fake. Sorta like Tibetan lamas; the Lamrim says that to find one who is knowledgeable and ethical is one in a million, a needle in a haystack. One could easily conclude that most are fakes and lechers.
    Real medicine works a lot more consistently than 'one in a million'. Clairvoyance is 100% fake.

• edited June 2011
    By my understanding, homeopathic remedies are basically water due to severe dilution of the original ingredient.

Homeopathics are electromagnetically charged to the same frequency as the patient's electromagnetic field. That has something to do with it. Read up on it and get back to us.

Clairvoyance isn't fake except when "demonstrated" by frauds. Some people have a clairvoyant gift. (Check out some of Aura's posts on this forum, and Mr. Serenity's.) Clairvoyance is also mentioned in the sutras as a by-product of steady meditation practice (according to Vincenzi). We had a member who began to experience clairvoyance after years of meditation, and he found it quite distracting.

Most of us have paranormal abilities that we're not aware of because we've been programmed a) by the scientific mindset not to believe in that stuff and b) by 500 years of witch-hunts and terror that resulted in our repressing these abilities. Judith Orloff, a psychologist, wrote about her experience growing up with clairvoyance, and her mother forbidding her to talk about it, and generally being very disapproving. She repressed her gift for some years, then as an adult, Orloff chose to incorporate her gift into a psychiatry practice. I think her first book is called "Second Sight" (see Amazon).

• 1) Anyone ever heard of UNDAs?
    2) http://www.skepdic.com/homeo.html
    3) http://www.theskepticsguide.org/search.aspx?search=homeopathy
    May all beings be happy.

:buck:
  • Ever of heard of formula 303? :buck:
  • homeopathic remedies are basically water due to severe dilution
    Did you mean serial dilution?

• edited June 2011
    Skeptics guide to the universe search for clairvoyance, NAET & BioSet come up "clean." That's a good sign IMO.
    http://www.theskepticsguide.org
    :buck:
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    @CompassionateWarrior

I have researched the topic and it is very, very, clear that homeopathy is 100% fraud.

As wikipedia says: "The collective weight of scientific evidence has found homeopathy to be no more effective than a placebo."

This statement is supported by the most extensive review of all studies done, which concluded: "the hypothesis that any given homeopathic remedy leads to clinical effects that are relevantly different from placebo or superior to other control interventions for any medical condition, is not supported by evidence from systematic reviews. Until more compelling results are available, homeopathy cannot be viewed as an evidence-based form of therapy." You should note, this study was actually done by a trained homeopath!

Link to this study: http://1.usa.gov/gKki7W
  • By my understanding, homeopathic remedies are basically water due to severe dilution of the original ingredient.

It's kind of alarming to me how many people seem to believe in these so-called remedies.

WHAT!!!??? Where did you hear such nonsense? Are you saying all non-pharmaceutical remedies are junk? I think several tens of thousands of years of very successful homeopathic human medicine would tend to dispute that. I'm sure many thimgs sold as remedies are junk, but then so are MANY things sold by big pharma.
  • edited June 2011

WHAT!!!??? Where did you hear such nonsense? Are you saying all non-pharmaceutical remedies are junk? I think several tens of thousands of years of very successful homeopathic human medicine would tend to dispute that. I'm sure many thimgs sold as remedies are junk, but then so are MANY things sold by big pharma.
    :)
    _/\_

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    WHAT!!!??? Where did you hear such nonsense?
    Well, anyone who does the maths will work out that any ‘remedy’ that is as diluted as homeopathic medicines are, actually doesn’t contain any of the original material in the final remedy. They are 100% water or whatever base solution is used. And, being water, their therapeutic potential is no better than placebo. Scientific studies confirm this fact.
    Are you saying all non-pharmaceutical remedies are junk?
    Not at all. Just homeopathy in this case.
    I think several tens of thousands of years of very successful homeopathic human medicine would tend to dispute that.
    Wrong. Homeopathy was invented about 200 years ago by a German doctor.
  • Daozen his the facts str8. :buck:
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I've had thyroid disease all my life. Most docs refused to acknowledge it or do the proper testing needed to uncover it until about 10 years ago. It means the body produces antibodies to fight its own thyroid. I brought the antibody count down with NAET. The conventional doc I had at the time had never seen anyone do that (they're taught in med school that it's impossible), so she gave my thyroid meds anyway. Antibodies skyrocketed in reaction to the med. NAET brought them back down. Long story short: I'm not in the care of an open-minded and highly competent doc (a European doc, I've given up on US docs). I told her conventional thyroid meds don't work, and she allowed my to find HOMEOPATHIC thyroid supplements over the internet. These have worked wonderfully. Finally all kinds of symptoms, my unusually low body temp, unusually low blood pressure, chronic headaches, high cholesterol (low thyroid stresses the liver so it over-produces cholesterol) fell into place. All proved by medical testing. Don't tell me homeopathics don't work. Keep an open mind for God's/Buddha's sake! People on this forum can be so closed-minded. It's attachment to science, or something... :grumble:
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Sorry, you're right. I was confusing phrases :) There really is no evidence to support "homeopathic" medicine in general. I misspake...
  • Sorry, you're right. I was confusing phrases :) There really is no evidence to support "homeopathic" medicine in general. I misspake...
    :hrm:

Good story, Dakini. Glad you got your health issues resolved. some people's systems are so sensitive, they need a subtle treatment, rather than being hit over the head with a blunt instrument (Pharma). It's good to have alternatives available, because everyone's different, every individual biological system and constitution is unique. If Pharma were the only thing available in the US, Dakini wouldn't have been able to resolve her condition.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @Dakini
    If you think taking water pills (which is exactly what homeopathy is) cured your thyroid, you are mistaken. I bet you just eliminated foods that aggravated it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    "water pills"? How do you make pills out of water? I'm taking a homeopathic remedy from Sweden, that's in capsule form, with powder inside. I have not done any food elimination. Now you're grasping at straws to try to find an alternative explanation for my recovery.
  • I think homeopathy has been confused in this thread. Homeopathy in its true sense is highly diluted substances which I think are only done in water. So if its a powder I dont think it is homeopathy.

I am not a huge fan of pharmaceuticals so I am not really partisan to that side. But the idea that if you dilute something so much that usually it becomes undetectable and that has some weird health benefit, to me, seems obviously incorrect. I also think its been shown pretty conclusively that it doesnt work.

"The term "homeopathy" is often incorrectly used to refer to almost any alternative approach to medicine—especially the use of herbal and other natural remedies"

Dakini, if you dont mind, what is the name of the remedy ? Im just curious if it truly falls under the category of homeopathy or herbal medicine.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Right, Ric--I was surprised that it was in poweder form. But I think the dilution principle can still be applied to powder. It's produced by the company "Vaxa", which has a website. I think it's just called "Thyroid formula" or something. But all their products work on the same principle, they refer to all of them as homeopathic. If you want to check it out and give me your impression, I'm open to it. I haven't seen an explanation on the site of how their remedies are made, but maybe you can find something.