Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation...Whats more important, Posture or Mindfulness???

edited June 2011 in Meditation
((I know both are very important))

But my back really hurts when i sit straight for too long. But teachers have told me that its ok to relax and slouch a LITTLE just as long as you dont become LAZY..and as long as the concentration doesnt effected and is still there then dont worry too much about posture...

Please give me your opinions. (is it ok for back to be slightly bent)

Comments

• edited June 2011
    I do all my meditation lying down because of pain in my legs.

I would suggest that if you reread your question- "Meditation...Whats more important, Posture or Mindfulness???"- you'll have an "aha" moment and realize that mindfulness is obviously more important than posture. If you have pain that's distracting you from mindfulness then obviously you should change your posture to become more comfortable and more capable of maintaining mindfulness.

I mean, how could posture possibly be more important than mindfulness?
  • hehe!! of course i know mindfulness is more important but i know some people who think you cant have full mindfulness without the correct posture. :/
    But i personally think that posture doesnt matter, it only helps certain people to keep awake. But like you said if some people can meditate lying down then im sure some people can meditate with their back naturally curved.
  • all spines are not all straight.For some its impossible force your back completely straight. We dnt want to to become uncomftable do we?
  • hehe!! of course i know mindfulness is more important but i know some people who think you cant have full mindfulness without the correct posture. :/
    IMO that's absurd- who cares what "some people" think? You can't have full mindfulness if you're in pain. That notion would disqualify a lot of people from full mindfulness.

• edited June 2011
    Hi buddhacoe,
    It depends on what you mean by "mindfulness."
    Also, do you have a "posture" during walking meditation?
    You can sit in chair.
    Or try some zazen postures, or get a "back jack."
    There are also many good instructions and techniques on dealing with pain, chronic pain, pain as a mediation artifact, etc.... Let me know and I'll link 'em here.
    May you find the causes of true happiness within.

:buck:
  • With people with severe pain or body problems, perhaps there is another way, but generally speaking for those of us without severe pains, posture in meditation is an important aspect of the practice. Also, in my own limited experience, the sitting posture adds immeasurable stability to a measured concentration practice. I would not underestimate the value of sitting nor posture in a formal meditation practice at all.
  • Mindfulness because its harder to reach. Once you reach it the body seems to adapt, and everything falls into place. :)

metta
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Proper posture helps with the flow of energy in the body and helps keep our minds engaged and focused. Mindfulness is more important though, so for those people with physical problems its ok to adopt a more comforatable posture. I posted this website on another discussion recently, it goes into all the ins and outs of proper posture and how to get comfortable and stable, you may find it helpful.

http://www.wildmind.org/posture
  • You only have to maintain a straight spine. As SherabDorje said, this can be done lying down. People with medical conditions that make it difficult to sit use this option. You can also sit in a straight-backed chair, using the chair for support. This way you can practice both good posture and mindfulness.
  • I have double curvature spinal deformity, so the straight spine instruction doesn't work for me. One skill that's helped me is having a a few "base" postures plus the willingness to improvise depending on my pain level at the time of my sit. I've also found pain useful against drowsiness. :buck:
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited June 2011
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    hehe!! of course i know mindfulness is more important but i know some people who think you cant have full mindfulness without the correct posture. :/
    But i personally think that posture doesnt matter, it only helps certain people to keep awake. But like you said if some people can meditate lying down then im sure some people can meditate with their back naturally curved.
    Ofcourse it matters...but what do u understand as mindfulness?.

Imagine the buddha first advice moderation in eating, then vigilance and right posture during all day, then mindfulness during all day, and then meditation with right posture.

Thats the sharpness he was looking for in students.

A easiest way to understand it is:

What posture will you adopt if u where studying or paying attention to a hard class? ..naturally you will straight up, because its easiest to pay attention in a good way.

Ofcourse it matters...but what do u understand as mindfulness?.

Imagine the buddha first advice moderation in eating, then vigilance and right posture during all day, then mindfulness during all day, and then meditation with right posture.

Thats the sharpness he was looking for in students.

A easiest way to understand it is:

What posture will you adopt if u where studying or paying attention to a hard class? ..naturally you will straight up, because its easiest to pay attention in a good way.

when meditating we dont straighten up to pay attention,we can pay attention in any way shape or form. You saying that is just something that has been drilled into you since you were a kid. people tellin you to 'straighten yourself up and listen....' '.But In fact,nothing is true but whatever is true to u.In meditation we pay attention to nothing but the stillness. We sit, still, in silence. Ive come to realize that everything in life comes down to whatever makes you happy. and if you are benifiting from something then carry on. I dont believe there is a *right way* to do meditation. Who made it *right*
    If you can sit with a straight spine then of course do. - But if you cannot - dont.Simple as that. Do what you can and let go of the rest.

Here is a quote. ''You have your way, i have mine. As for the right, best and correct way, it does not exist''

Thanks to all who answerd :)
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    edited June 2011
    buddhacoe:

It doesnt have to do with speculation. Posture affects our experience and our mental state..u just cant argue against that. But, as you say, if u are having to much pain mantaining some posture there is no point in resisting.

Ofcourse we can pay attention in any posture, attention its what arises after consciousness -_-. But there is big difference between attention, clear attention, and mindfulness...

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    posture affects the state of mind. and the state of mind affects the posture.

you may have your own unique associations and ways. but haven't you noticed when you feel unconfident or sad or whatever that it affects how you hold your body?

that is why posture is important. on the other hand we need to be able to work with every state of mind rather than merely doctor our mind with posture. you can see that the rules of posture are not helpful if you have a bad back and this is the reason that posture itself is not reliable.

whats important is how to work with the situation to accept what postures you are able to sit in and have confidence that your mind can be worked with and has basic responsiveness and possibilities to focus/stabilize/understand in any posture imaginable.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited June 2011
    hi

it is not necessary to sit in any particular way; mindfulness is what's important

if you have back problems, sit in a chair (but straight up, with the back unsupported). also, learn walking & standing meditation

sitting crosslegged will place strain on the back if one's legs, hips, etc, cannot sit with ease and one's back is not naturally upright

there is no benefit in sitting crosslegged if one's back is hunched over. this will restrict one's breathing & mind. it is best the back is always naturally upright

regards :)

• mugzymugzy Veteran
    Nice one DD!
  • yes thanks DD..i find the seiza position helps keep my back straightER..So i guess ill keep that one up for now!
  • edited June 2011
    Posture is important, they say, because the chakras have to be aligned in order for energy to flow properly and enhance meditation. Any posture that keeps the chakras aligned (and the spine straight) works: sitting or lying one one's back.