Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thich Quang Duc

Around the anniversary of June 11, 1963, I've been remembering (with honor) Thich Quang Duc.
While the story and images are shocking, the information is interesting yet sparse.

May compassion, mercy, and Peace & Metta be with us all around this anniversary.

On June 10, 1963 a spokesperson for Buddhists in Saigon privately alerted press contacts that “something important” was going to happen the next morning. On the morning of June 11, Thich Quang Duc freely and willingly gave his life for the cause of treatment of fellow Buddhists particularly; and perhaps the rest humanity as well.

Amazingly even after (re)cremation, Thich Quang Duc's heart was still intact.
Many people are said to have seen Buddha's face in the sky that night, and the Buddha was weeping.

Some info is here: http://www.buddhismtoday.com/english/vietnam/figure/003-htQuangduc.htm
I have thought that even though this video includes several shocking images, it is tastefully done, short enough, and quite to the point:

If anyone has more info, I'm interest in seeing it.
Thanks and Peace.

Comments

• I wonder how the Venerable sit so still in the fire. Usually when touched by fire even on a small path of skin people would be screaming or moving wildly unvoluntarilly. Is it possible that he can enter jhana where person goes beyond perception of the 5 senses.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited June 2011
    That is probably the most powerful and moving video I have ever seen in my life.
  • jlljll Veteran
    There has probably been endless debates about this. But I do not agree with self-harm. 1st precept.
  • I'm with you on that jll
  • I believe he believed he was doing this for a greater good.

But I think the OP and the video open the topic up for discussion again, and, although it has indeed been discussed here before, it may be important for the new people to engage in the discussion.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    There has probably been endless debates about this. But I do not agree with self-harm. 1st precept.
    isint in mahayana or was it varijana tradition, that its "ok" to break the percepts if Its for a greater cause. for example someone threatens to kill thousands of children so you kill him before he hurts anyone.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited June 2011
    isint in mahayana or was it varijana tradition, that its "ok" to break the percepts if Its for a greater cause. for example someone threatens to kill thousands of children so you kill him before he hurts anyone.
    You're right. Sometimes keeping precepts in a literal way is breaking them in their true sense (and vice versa).

• YishaiYishai Veteran
    Obviously you voluntarily take a bit of bad karma to do those acts. But you also have the good karma of saving so many people.
  • woods93woods93 Explorer
    I believe he did a good thing not just for Buddhists but for all of mankind.
  • Not being much of a computer guy, I don't get back here as often as I should.
    I keep thinking that I will start spending more time on the computer “one of these days.”

Thanks everybody, for your thoughts.
    Peace