Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Monk's Book of Spells, Found At Dunhuang

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited June 2011 in Philosophy
"Spells were being cast by Buddhists long before the tantras appeared. Indeed, the recitation of verses against disease or evil spirits goes right back to the beginnings of Buddhism. Mantras are found in the Sarvastivadin texts and in the paritta texts of the Theravadins."

"Ordinary people have turned to the monks for help with their every day needs, whether serious calamities, like illness, complications of childbirth, and spirit possession, or the questions that are answered by astrology and divination."

According to this article (see link below), the use of spells by monks is not limited to Tibetan Buddhism, but has been practiced by Buddhist monks in China and Japan for many hundreds of years

http://earlytibet.com/2009/02/19a-tibetan-book-of-spells

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2011
    The link doesn't seem to go to the article.

EDIT:

http://earlytibet.com/2009/02/19/a-tibetan-book-of-spells/

That should be it.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Thank you, person. I see I didn't proofread thoroughly enough.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Yes, unfortunately superstition abounds even in buddhism.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Larry Dossey, MD, has studied the effect of group prayer on patients recovering from serious conditions or surgery in a hospital. He did a study (one or more) in which the patients didn't know they were being prayed for. Those who were prayed for recovered more quickly than those not prayed for. (Prayer being a type of spell or incantation.)

In any case, an awful lot of practitioners in the West are unaware that spells are part of Buddhism. I thought this was really informative.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Larry Dossey, MD, has studied the effect of group prayer on patients recovering from serious conditions or surgery in a hospital. He did a study (one or more) in which the patients didn't know they were being prayed for. Those who were prayed for recovered more quickly than those not prayed for. (Prayer being a type of spell or incantation.)
    Larry Dossey's "studies" are entirely unscientific and completely debunked.

• jlljll Veteran
    Superstition or not, if it works, it works. Doctors have known for a long time that placebos can do wonders. How do you know that Buddha was not totally deluding himself?
    Yes, unfortunately superstition abounds even in buddhism.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Doctors have known for a long time that placebos can do wonders.
    For a placebo to work, the patient must believe they are getting real medicine. Being unknowingly prayed for could not generate a placebo effect. The truth is that thee studies are completely dodgy, based on hearsay, and are in no sense scientific. Dr Dossey is a classic quack doctor, using his qualification to convince others and make a stack of money.
  • jlljll Veteran
    'Dr Dossey is a classic quack doctor'
    Perhaps he was a duck in his previous life.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    :)
  • Thanks for sharing Dakini. Very interesting stuff. I attended a Tibetan Dzogchen all day retreat a few times that actually was doing Qigong, it just wasn't called that, but basically that's what it was. They were breathing techniques that had to do with manipulating your energy. There is also plenty of spirit talk in Tibetan Buddhism. So Tibetan Buddhism is pretty esoteric with all those supernatural elements.
  • edited June 2011
    @Daozen Dr. Dossey has published his studies in peer-reviewed scientific magazines. Please cite a source that says his prayer studies have been debunked, I'd like to read the critique.

I've brought this up before, but in the book "A Social History Of Indian Esoteric Buddhism", the author says that in medieval times, monks became fascinated with spells, tantra and power and personality cults in general. These elements entered into Buddhism from folk traditions or the beginning of the tantric movement. When Buddhism came to Tibet, it was Padmasambhava, a tantric adept and magician, who brought Buddhism to Tibet. So naturally, Tibetan Buddhism would have spells, etc. But what's interesting about the article Dakini posted is that the author says it wasn't just Indian and Tibetan Buddhism that practiced magic. It was Theravada, Chinese and Japanese Buddhism as well. So spells were just a part of life throughout Asia, and in the Buddhist regions, the monk was the local expert people turned to.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Haha, I knew it! Anyone remember my old thread asking if Buddhists did magic? I was widely criticized on that thread. Look who was right in asking that question now. Hmmmmm? :D
  • Yes, I definitely remember! Good thread! :bowdown:
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    @Daozen Dr. Dossey has published his studies in peer-reviewed scientific magazines.
    Got a link to his prayer study in a reputable journal?

• edited June 2011
    Dossey founded the journal: "Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine", which had a board of MDs reviewing the articles for publication. Now he contributes to "Explore: a Journal of Science and Health", also a professional peer-reviewed journal.

As a result of Dossey's studies on the effect of prayer on hospital patients, "nearly 80 medical schools [in the US] have instituted courses exploring the role of prayer in health".

How about you, Daozen? Your turn to provide a source critiquing his studies.
  • Thanks for posting the article- it's very interesting. I'm not surprised at all. Folk medicine, herbalism, shamanism, conjuring, and magic are part of all ancient peoples. The book of spells described in the article sounded like a carefully compiled grimoire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimoire
    A grimoire (play /ɡrɪmˈwɑr/) is a textbook of magic. Such books typically include instructions on how to create magical objects like talismans and amulets, how to perform magical spells, charms and divination and also how to summon or invoke supernatural entities such as angels, spirits, and demons.[1] In many cases the books themselves are also believed to be imbued with magical powers, though in many cultures other sacred texts that are not grimoires, such as the Bible and Qur'an, have also been believed to intrinsically have magical properties; in this manner whilst all books on magic could be thought of as grimoires, not all magical books could.[2]

Whilst the term grimoire is originally European, and many Europeans throughout history, particularly ceremonial magicians and cunning folk, have made use of grimoires, the historian Owen Davies noted that similar such books can be found all across the world, ranging from Jamaica to Sumatra,[3] and he also noted that the first such grimoires could be found not in Europe but in the Ancient Near East.[4]
  • Wow! That's an interesting vocabulary you have, kayte! I learned a new word today. :)
  • Where woulkd spells fit in with dharma?

Let us be mindful of the fact that if something is Buddhist it doesnt mean its dharma or that the buddha taught it.
  • Good point, paper.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    Dossey founded the journal: "Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine", which had a board of MDs reviewing the articles for publication. Now he contributes to "Explore: a Journal of Science and Health", also a professional peer-reviewed journal.

As a result of Dossey's studies on the effect of prayer on hospital patients, "nearly 80 medical schools [in the US] have instituted courses exploring the role of prayer in health".

How about you, Daozen? Your turn to provide a source critiquing his studies.
    Well congrats for cutting and pasting from his website - not exactly an objective source.

I'm sorry but, publishing articles in a journal you establish yourself, and act as executive editor for, doesn't quite count as a professional peer-reviewed journal. It's not exactly the Lancet is it? Or even remotely close.

The main criticism of his work seems to stem from the fact that, despite him being a trained physician who should know better, and despite trying to talk up his scientific rigour, he used decidedly unscientific methods in his studies.

Notably, he used anecdotal evidence rather than properly run, double-blind testing. His prayer studies have never been published in a reputable journal, and needless to say, no-one has ever duplicated his results.

• You're wrong; the 1st half was my own observation. I used to read his journals.

The point is that it was a new journal for research in alternative medicine, and he did have a board of MDs reviewing articles.

I read he'd done double-blind testing.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Daozen is not only entrenched in his opinion, he's also disdainful of others who think or believe otherwise.

Polite and courteous engagement is still the order of the day.
  • Couple of points.

Yeah, it's off topic, but the scientific basis for miracles is sketchy at best and if anyone wants to read up on the criticisms of what little research has been conducted, all you have to do is visit a skeptical site such as http://skepdic.com/ I'm certainly not going to argue against people's beliefs here.

But it's very interesting about the book of spells. However, it's really no surprise to anyone who studied history. Almost everyone, including Buddhists, believed in the power of what we would call magic ritual because that's all they had. Most people even hold some sort of magical beliefs today, only we call it superstition usually.

It really has nothing to do with the Buddhism and everything to do with how to influence the world around us. For instance, my Grandmother, a devout Christian, believed handling toads would give you warts, and to get rid of them, you rubbed a fresh laid egg on the wart and then burried it somewhere. That is a belief in sympathetic magic (like affects like) and the power of a "casting away" magic ritual. It has nothing to do with her Christianity.

A spell book owned by a Buddhist monk back then is about like a first aid book owned by a monk today, to help people who need it. It is fascinating to get a glimpse of life back then.
  • Being skeptic, is a good thing until it deprives you from the benefit of having an open mind... :)
  • For instance, my Grandmother, a devout Christian, believed handling toads would give you warts, and to get rid of them, you rubbed a fresh laid egg on the wart and then burried it somewhere. That is a belief in sympathetic magic (like affects like) and the power of a "casting away" magic ritual. It has nothing to do with her Christianity.

A spell book owned by a Buddhist monk back then is about like a first aid book owned by a monk today, to help people who need it. It is fascinating to get a glimpse of life back then.
    In my family tradition, wart removal was more complicated. My great Aunt would cut notches in a small twig of a tree in the same number as there were warts to cure. The afflicted buried the twig in the ground where water dripped, as it decayed, the warts vanished. I believe that there was also a chant that had to be repeated three times.

The other side of the family had traditions for removing the "evil eye" that could only be done on Christmas Eve.

Folklore is an interesting part of our history.

• By the way, I explored the site a bit, and there's some fascinating history about that Dunhuang cave and the huge catch of ancient sutras and letters in it and what it tells them about the life of the Tibetan monks. There's one scroll with a drawing of a turtle, for instance, and instructions on how to do divination on finding a lost object using it.
  • Being skeptic, is a good thing until it deprives you from the benefit of having an open mind... :)
    I find being skepticial is the only way to stay open minded!:)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Thanks for the posts, Cinorjer. Dunhuang is a fascinating and very rich research site. I think it was there (?) where they recently found an urn full of Mahayana texts that were hundred of years older than the oldest Pali scriptures. The conclusion drawn by scholars after studying the text is that southern Buddhism and the northern traditions had a much more intertwined evolution than anyone thought (the latter did not split off and evolve after the former, the development of each apparently was simultaneous).

Anyway, divination isn't dharma, in fact in one of the suttras the Buddha says it's not a suitable occupation for monks, and that would include, I would think, spell-making. But Buddhism as practiced in Asia tends to be a very different beast than what followers in the West are exposed to. Personally, I enjoy the cultural diversity, and I thought this article would be a good reality-check.

Katie, what is your ethnic background? It's mostly only in Eastern Europe where people still believe in the "evil eye".
  • Katie, what is your ethnic background? It's mostly only in Eastern Europe where people still believe in the "evil eye".
    My family is from Eastern Europe. Many members married into Italian families, a few of them, Sicilians. I learned about the evil eye from a Sicilian. The old style practitioners are called Strega. Here's a link that has information of their history and herbal practices.

http://www.stregheria.com/

Back in the old days, these folk were the doctors, herbalists, vets, and midwives. The communities depended on them. When the church came to power, they couldn't allow these people to have that much influence. That's when the persecution started and women were especially vilified.
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited June 2011
    In the last several thousand years, people have desperately tried all manner of ideas when they had no idea of how to remedy a bad situation.
    Most situations worsened, but every once in a while one improved!

Was it the words, prayers, or blessings that people had been saying at the time...what exactly had they said? Was it the tea... what was in the tea? Was uncle killing his pig next door at the time one of the conditions under which someone in the household recovered from serious illness? Then, as now, figuring out cause from effect or coincidence was no easy matter.

Buddhist monks were the keepers and transmitters of the sacred texts, and in many areas they were the only people who knew how to read and write. Of course they recorded and preserved collections of local wisdom commonly used for healing all manner of complaints. They were the sole library and repository of human wisdom in many areas for centuries.

Today your physician's standard incantation "take one of these every 4 hours and call me in the morning" gleaned from his own book of spells (The Physician's Desk Reference)is simply called a "prescription" rather than a "spell." Today your psychiatrist will put you under a prescription (a spell) of Prozac and assign you "a list of helpful affirmations to repeat" rather than "a mantra."

We assert the superiority of our own present-day incantations and experimental spells as "peer reviewed" and "evidence based"....we would never be taken in by superstition! Yet the majority of our own modern day "peer reviewed" and "evidence based" scientific studies have funding sources representing too much conflict of interest to be regarded as truly "unbiased," and our modern day "spells," our prescription medications, are estimated to be the 4th most common cause of our own death.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    @aura

Surely modern pharmacy is the no 1 life saver and preserver, not the 4 th biggest killer as you unbelievably claim - got a source for that claim?
  • auraaura Veteran
    The JOURNAL of the AMERICAN MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (JAMA) Vol 284, No 4, July 26th 2000 article written by Dr Barbara Starfield, MD, MPH, of the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, shows that medical errors may be the third leading cause of death in the United States.
    The report apparently shows there are 2,000 deaths/year from unnecessary surgery; 7000 deaths/year from medication errors in hospitals; 20,000 deaths/year from other errors in hospitals; 80,000 deaths/year from infections in hospitals; 106,000 deaths/year from non-error, adverse effects of medications - these total up to 225,000 deaths per year in the US from iatrogenic causes which ranks these deaths as the # 3 killer. Iatrogenic is a term used when a patient dies as a direct result of treatments by a physician, whether it is from misdiagnosis of the ailment or from adverse drug reactions used to treat the illness. (drug reactions are the most common cause).

Jason, et al. (Lazarou et al), Incidence of Adverse Drug Reactions in Hospitalized Patients, Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), Vol. 279. April 15, 1998, pp. 1200-05. Also Bates, David W., Drugs and Adverse Drug Reactions: How Worried Should We Be? JAMA, Vol. 279. April 15, 1998, pp. 1216-17.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db22.htm
    http://internet-scam-busters.com/pharmaceutical-drug-dangers-a-prescription-for-disaster
    http://sustainablemedicine.org/2008/10/death-by-medicine-iatrogenic-illness/
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs335/en/index.html
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=prescription-drug-deaths
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=5EEBE889-B08B-5AA1-8315C046598F67E3
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    That's incredible! Truly amazing statistics. Thank you.

However, I would still say that modern medicine saves, preserves or improves a far far greater number of lives than it damages, and that therefore the net effect is positive. Would you agree?
  • jlljll Veteran
    'modern medicine saves, preserves or improves a far far greater number of lives than it damages'
    Modern medicine prolongs life, not necessarily improve life.
    Take cancer, chemotherapy & radiotherapy, its a gamble, either the cancer cells die first or you die first.
  • Hello, this is my first post here :-) I felt compelled to back Daozen, here's the largest prayer study to date, conducted in the US costing $2.4M which concludes that prayer has no effect on healing people:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article1072638.ece

On the medication note, I'd also agree that the number of people who would have died without medical help would vastly out number those who die through negligence/complications. Therefore we shouldn't avoid modern treatment. The system certainly needs improving though..
  • auraaura Veteran
    That's incredible! Truly amazing statistics. Thank you.
    However, I would still say that modern medicine saves, preserves or improves a far far greater number of lives than it damages, and that therefore the net effect is positive. Would you agree?
    At one point in my life I met one of the most brilliant and famous medical researchers in the world who was personally agonizing over the asking of self that very question.

My point is that in the modern day we too have our own particular superstitions, incantations, and spells which are basically equivalent to that ancient book they just dug up, and that several centuries from now our own remedies will be regarded as equally laughably (and appallingly) superstitious and ineffective.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    aura,

my stepmom's father asked her doctor what would happen if he stopped taking his medicine. Because he didn't like to. His doctor without a pause said 'You'd be dead'. Heart problems which is not uncommon one bit.

Medication errors are quite rare. The whole system is designed to prevent them. I worked in a hospital pharmacy and I would think wrong pill/dose errors in the pharmacy were not especially high since a tech prepares each dose (fast), but the pharmacist on duty has NOTHING to do other than check each order for accuracy. There are also errors in correlating the pills/syringes made in pre-pack (bulk everyday) and put in drawers for bed patients. Prepack drugs seemed to be pretty routine and non-dangerous meds such as ranitidine kinda a brand of pepcid ac. The pills are also administered and diagnosed which are other (rare) sources of error.

"106,000 deaths/year from non-error, adverse effects of medications" These results would be from strong medicines which are dangerous. Those are not administered unless there is a large reward to compensate the risk. Pepcid AC is not among these but drugs for heart arhythmias probably are. Also consider that there is a massive amount of sick and old people in hospitals.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    So, Aura, if you have a heart condition or cancer or kidney disease you won't go to the doctor?
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I have an entire wall lined with medical books listing the magical medical remedies of the modern day.

A time traveler from a thousand years past would take one look at my wall of books and easily recognize it as the magical modern day equivalent of the magical medical spells and incantation books of a thousand years ago.
    I am deeply grateful for those people from a thousand years ago. Their courage, efforts, trials, errors, and observations helped get us where we are today in the field of medicine.

A time traveler, an archaeologist from a thousand years in the future, however, would take one look at that same wall of books and laugh at our magical medical remedies of the modern day. A thousand years from today these books will in turn likewise be regarded as so many ancient spells and incantations. The archaeologists of the future will most certainly be left both laughing and horrified by our accounts.

The practice of Buddhism deeply embraces the concept of the universal relief of suffering.
    It is therefore no surprise that ancient Buddhist monks collected ancient medical remedies, as it is likewise no surprise that modern practitioners collect modern ones.
    The practice of Buddhism also embraces the practices of mindful observation, open-mindedness, and gratitude. Buddhism embraces the practice of respect for all, and respect for the sincere efforts, beliefs, and gods and prayers of all, past, present, and future. Buddhism does not embrace arrogance.
  • Aura, I am a pragmatic when it comes to medicine&drugs. For instance the contraceptive pill raises the risk of clots, strokes and cancer, so I would only take it if there were no other option, which of course there are and pregnancy although expensive would not be the end of the world in my position.

However if I had a life threatening disease, from depression to diabetes to heart disease and cancer, I would follow pretty much all medical advice.

If I had a condition that caused a lot of pain or stress, I would follow the advice that made sense to me, and refuse anything I didn't like the sound of unless I had the chance to do some research and be convinced.

I still love this quote: "Believe Nothing, no matter where you read it nor whom has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." - Buddha