Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is Buddhist Ethics?

edited June 2011 in Philosophy
What is Buddhist ethics and in Pali we call it Karma, action and Ethics and what does Buddhism Ethics means?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    It's based on the notion of ahimsa or non-harming. There's the 5 lay precepts and the vinaya or monastic code. Not quite sure what the video has to with ethics though.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Video removed.
    pointless link.
  • Thank you so much, actually i have paste the wrong url/link and i cant change again so thanks to moderator ^^
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    If you're interested, you can find some of thoughts about Buddhist ethics here.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    In short: it's not so much about right and wrong, as skilful and unskillfull.
  • The Right Action is the Kindest Action.

When the kindness is directed outwards it becomes something like ethics, golden rule etc.
    When the kindness is directed inwards to becomes wise and skilful practice.

Kindness in the dharma context is one of the deepest parts of dharma, imo.

• non-harming
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    respect
  • edited June 2011
    Buddhist Ethics are the 5 precepts for Everyone.
    1. not to kill any beings
    2. not stealing
    3. not not lying
    4. not drinking alcohol
    5. be avoid of sexual misconduct

these r basic Buddhist ethics
  • non-harming
    NO harming is one of the 5 as i have mentioned below friend :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    non-harming
    NO harming is one of the 5 as i have mentioned below friend :)
    No harming is in ALL 5 IMO. :)

• Not harming is the basis for all of them. They can all be summed up as "ahimsa".
  • siila. The cultivation of siila normally proceeds alongside progress in the other two great constituents of the Path, namely mental training (bhâvanâ) and wisdom-insight (paññâ)
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Respect karma (kamma).