Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A few questions.

edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hey everyone. I'm new to Buddhism just learning about it, but so far I really like what I've learned especially how logical and well thought out the system is. I know the basics. The Four Noble Truths and 8-fold path. I do have a few questions though if you wouldn't mind helping me out.

1. What is Nirvana? Is it ceasing to exist completely, like the normal atheist view of what happens when you die or is there more to it than that?

2.I'm am more interested in the Mahayana tradition, but the only center near me is based around Tibetan Buddhism,would it be okay for me to go there and learn from them and ask questions? I ask this because, I know christian groups will try their hardest to convert you and I don't want that.

3. Where should I start reading? Does the Mahayana tradition follow the Pali cannon as well, are is it replace with other sutras?

Comments

• That's really good that you've taken an interest in the Dhamma. By putting the teachings of the Buddha into practice you can create an immense amount of happiness for yourself in this life time, and if you believe in a hereafter, your future lives should be covered as well ; ).
    If you really want to understand Nibbana your just going to have to practice the meditation in order to understand all of it's ins and outs.
    There is nothing inherently wrong with the Tibetan tradition, and in fact might be of benefit to your practice, however make sure that wherever you go you take everything you are taught with a slight pinch of salt. In short - don't let yourself get brain washed. Try and make sure you think and analyze what ever it is that you are learning before you accept it as truth.
    A brilliant place to start reading is the website www.accesstoinsight.org . Check out the introduction to the Buddha's teachings section, and then just jump right in. There's a lot to learn so be patient and remember not to take the Dhamma seriously. It is about having fun, after all. ; )
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited June 2011
    1. What is Nirvana? Is it ceasing to exist completely, like the normal atheist view of what happens when you die or is there more to it than that?
    It is the end of the middle path. A state of blissfull peace and dissatachmnet.
    It can be glimpsed as you travel the path, and its benefits can be with you for the journey, but the journey is not the destination.

>> 2.I'm am more interested in the Mahayana tradition, but the only center near me is based around Tibetan Buddhism,would it be okay for me to go there and learn from them and ask questions?
    My advice would be to focus on dharma not tradition. Dharma is that which is shared by all traditions.

3. Where should I start reading?

With the Dhammapada. Over and over and over. There are dozens of translations and they differ lots. You can download many in pdf format for free from a google search.

But I would recommend buying a pocket version and carrying it with you always.Its so much nicer in paper. You can get them on ebay or amazon, lots of translations.
    Incidentally the dhammapada is small, about 10,000 words. You can fit it on two sheets of paper.

be wise! be kind! be honest! Make more happy!:)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Nirvana is peace. I don't think its completly clear if its total ceasing of exsistence, I think it varies based on which tradition you ask. However, I do think that its more complex than the normal athiest version.
    2.I'm am more interested in the Mahayana tradition, but the only center near me is based around Tibetan Buddhism,would it be okay for me to go there and learn from them and ask questions? I ask this because, I know christian groups will try their hardest to convert you and I don't want that.
    The Tibetan tradition is Mahayana. Despite what you may have read elswhere on this forum Tibetan centers aren't dens of pedophilia and hedonism. They're generally quite accomodating and don't make you check your brain at the door or make you drink the kool-aid.
    3. Where should I start reading? Does the Mahayana tradition follow the Pali cannon as well, are is it replace with other sutras?

I think its best to start reading books by western teachers since they're better able to relate to our experience.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Welcome white_wolf. Hope you find something useful here.

Nirvana is alive.

Why not visit the Tibetan center and see how it works for you? Trial and error is a large part of Buddhist practice.

Others will be more knowledgeable about reading.
    Does the Mahayana tradition follow the Pali cannon as well, are is it replace with other sutras?
    To answer this question specifically, the Mahayana accepts the Pali cannon, but it does have its own cannon that it primarily follows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahayana_sutras

• Oh and I have another question on Mahayana. I've read about the Bodhisattva vows and I'm curious does everyone take those vows upon becoming a member of a Mahayana community or are those vows for monks and nuns only?
    Oh and I have another question on Mahayana. I've read about the Bodhisattva vows and I'm curious does everyone take those vows upon becoming a member of a Mahayana community or are those vows for monks and nuns only?
    They're optional but anyone can take them.

http://viewonbuddhism.org/resources/bodhisattva_vows.html
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    1. Nirvana is seeing reality as it is and allowing manifestations to occur within the space of awareness.

2. Check out the TB center. Could change your mind about things, if not just leave. lol.

3. Honestly, I would find one book and read it. I would spend most of my time practicing meditation. I learned more from just sitting on my zafu then all the books I've read. But the books do help, so don't negate them. Just don't attach to books or meditation. Sounds contradictory but you'll understand soon enough.