Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A documentary on the effects of Silence

TakuanTakuan Veteran
edited June 2011 in Faith & Religion

The Big Silence

I found this on the AYP Forums. It seems interesting; though I haven't finished it. I figured the members here would like it. It documents the effects of a Catholic silent retreat.

Comments

• TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Mods, I'm just realizing that this might be more suited to the meditation section. I'm sorry if I have infringed on the rules of the forum.
  • In my experience, it isn't actually the silence that's beneficial, but the non use of language.
    Language gives rise to conceptualism which takes us away from being with and seeing what is.
    Stopping conceptual thought in a non silent environment is just as effective. In fact, focussing on non language based sound is a very effective meditation.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Mostly, "silence" is just a reminder of "sound," just as "sound" is a reminder of "silence." It is like the old story of the Zen teacher, who, when asked what "the middle way" meant, replied, "It means the extremes." This is the usual appreciation of "silence."

But there is something to be said as well for the 'something' that occurs when neither sound nor silence arise...or when both sound and silence arise. What it is that can be said, I really don't know.
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    I liked that :)