Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rebirth, Karma etc.

edited June 2011 in Philosophy
Today I was contemplating rebirth and my understanding of it is that everyone contains energy. We have Kamma based on our actions which affect that energy which is reborn. What I'm confused about is how can we be reborn with our Kamma if there is no spirit or soul. I don't particularly believe in a soul, spirit, or rebirth I just want to understand how it works in the Buddhist sense. If we are to be reborn and our past actions affect our rebirth doesn't there have to be a vessel to carry the energy and contain it as a form to enter a new life?

I've kind of always thought our energy just goes back into the universe surrounding us but, for rebirth to work I'd think there would need to be a membrane containing it the way our skin contains our body.

Comments

• edited June 2011
    Perhaps it's better not to over-contemplate karma and rebirth, dear Wuji. There is this current form, perception, feel and conscious state. The seen, heard, smelled, felt and imagined. Their coming, going and qualities right here and now. If entering a new life is more interesting than this, one probably should get a girlfriend.

:)
  • Perhaps it's better not to over-contemplate karma and rebirth, dear Wuji. There is this current form, perception, feel and conscious state. The seen, heard, smelled, felt and imagined. Their coming, going and qualities right here and now. If entering a new life is more interesting than this, one should get a girlfriend.

I think it's one of the central questions in Buddhism. I myself have been hoping to clear up exactly what Wuji asks for a long time. I was just waiting to see what got posted, but, I must insist, I'm with Wuji on this one. Maybe I'm over-contemplating karma and rebirth too, but I have my age and health to cite as an excuse.

So does anybody have an answer to Wuji's question without the condescending and sarcastic tone? This question is too important for that.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    YAY, Wuji is back!! :) :clap:
    In Mahayana, it's the "very subtle mind" that survives death and moves on to another birth. This form of consciousness carries with it the karmic imprint of past lives. So it's kind of like how information binds to electricity, like radio waves. Karma binds to subtle consciousness. That's how I see it.
  • edited June 2011
    I like the alaya concept about rebirth and kamma too...
  • edited June 2011
    Perhaps it's better not to over-contemplate karma and rebirth, dear Wuji. There is this current form, perception, feel and conscious state. The seen, heard, smelled, felt and imagined. Their coming, going and qualities right here and now. If entering a new life is more interesting than this, one probably should get a girlfriend.

or a boyfriend but still this kind of questions stay with you like an itch that needs to be scratched, maybe I could ask my boyfriend to do that for me... :)
  • or a boyfriend but still this kind of questions stay with you like an itch that needs to be scratched, maybe I could ask my boyfriend to do that for me... :)
    Indeed, dear flower, this kind of questions stay with one like an itch that needs to be scratched, and one can ask their friend to do that for them, again, and again, and again, until the wound is healed by meditative attentiveness. :)
  • What I'm confused about is how can we be reborn with our Kamma if there is no spirit or soul.
    Does kamma need a spirit or soul? Just wondering.
  • edited June 2011
    Maybe I'm over-contemplating karma and rebirth too, but I have my age and health to cite as an excuse.
    There is 'regret karma'. It makes one over-contemplate something in the present due to not having done something in the past that one should have done, or due to not being able to do something in the future that one thinks one should do in the future.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I think in Theravada, karma doesn't need a vehicle, but in Mahayana, subtle consciousness is the vehicle. Take your pick.
    I like the alaya concept about rebirth and kamma too...
    There was a thread not long ago comparing the alaya (and similar terms) to the concept of "very subtle consciousness". A couple of members agreed that alaya (or whatever it was) could be considered similar to the "very subtle consciousness" idea.

Will people cut Wuji some slack? It's a good and valid question. If you don't approve, move on to another thread, please.

• It's easy to spout platitudes about meditative attentiveness and "regret karma", nibbuti. Do you have any recourse to a more solid answer to Wuki's question, or are you going to leave us to our scratching to figure it out for ourselves?

You say the answer comes from meditative attentiveness. Can you elaborate on that?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    You say the answer comes from meditative attentiveness. Can you elaborate on that?
    No, no elaborating. Just move along, nibbuti. There are lots of other OPs for you to harass. :shake:
  • Wikipedia:

Store-house consciousness (ālayavijñāna)

It may have developed from concepts in some early Buddhist schools.[3]

Store-house consciousness accumulates all potential energy for the aggregate of the 'bodymind' (Sanskrit: namarupa), the mental (nama) and physical (rupa) manifestation of one's existence, and supplies the substance to all existences. It also receives impressions from all functions of the other consciousnesses and retains them as potential energy for their further manifestations and activities. Since it serves as the basis for the production of the other seven consciousnesses (called the "evolving" or "transforming" consciousnesses), it is also known as the base consciousness (mūla-vijñāna) or causal consciousness. Since it serves as the container for all experiential impressions (termed metaphorically as bija or "seeds"), it is also called the seed consciousness (種子識) or container consciousness.

According to Yogacara teachings, the seeds stored in the store consciousness of sentient beings are not pure (note that each being has his own one and only, formless and no-place-to-abide Store-house consciousness. Also note that of each of us, our "being" is created by our own Store consciousness according to the karma seeds stored in it, and in that sense, in "coming and going" we definitely do not own the " no-coming and no-going" Store-house consciousness, rather we are owned by it. Just as a human image shown in a monitor can never be described as lasting for any instant, since "he" is just the production of electron currents of data stored and flow from the hard disk of the computer, so do seed currents drain from the Store consciousness, never lasting from one moment to the next. ) , and through the process of seeds purging, the dharma practitioner can became a Arahat when the four defilement Mental Function(心所法)-- self-delusion (我癡), self-view (我見), egotism (我慢), and self-love (我愛), of the seventh consciousness are purified. By then the polluted Mental Functions of the first six consciousnesses would have been cleansed, since the seventh or the Manas consciousness dictates whether or not the seeds drain from the eighth Seed consciousness, and whether or not the content breaks through becoming a "function" to be perceived by us in the mental or physical world. Furthermore,in contrast to an Arahat, a Buddha is one with all his seeds stored in the eighth Seed consciousness. Cleansed and substituted, bad for good, one for one, his polluted-seeds-containing eighth consciousness (Alaya Consciousness) becomes an all-seeds-purified eighth consciousness (Pure consciousness 無垢識 ), and he becomes a Buddha.

According to Walpola Rahula, all the elements of the Yogacara storehouse-consciousness are already found in the Pali Canon.[4] He writes that the three layers of the mind (citta, manas, and vijnana) as presented by Asanga are also used in the Pali Canon: "Thus we can see that Vijnana represents the simple reaction or response of the sense organs when they come in contact with external objects. This is the uppermost or superficial aspect or layer of the Vijnanaskanda. Manas represents the aspect of its mental functioning, thinking, reasoning, conceiving ideas, etc. Citta which is here called Alayavijnana, represents the deepest, finest and subtlest aspect or layer of the Aggregate of consciousness. It contains all the traces or impressions of the past actions and all good and bad future possibilities."[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_Consciousnesses
  • edited June 2011
    Sure. There are two kinds of questions. There are questions connected with directly seeing things as they are, and there are questions connected with satisfying certain wishes and fantasies. The ones connected with directly seeing things as they are can be answered with words that are also connected with directly seeings things as they are. But the questions connected with wishes and fantasies like rebirth or kamma can be satisfied only temporarily through words, or solved in a lasting way through meditation.

• Thank you for sharing.
  • No, no elaborating. Just move along, nibbuti. There are lots of other OPs for you to harass. :shake:
    This is a discussion, dear Dakini. Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. No need to try and shut up other opinions, let alone feel harassed by them. Be well.

• Thank you for sharing.
    You're welcome.

• No, no elaborating. Just move along, nibbuti. There are lots of other OPs for you to harass. :shake:
    This is a discussion, dear Dakini. Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. No need to try and shut up other opinions, let alone feel harassed by them. Be well.

Agreed that this is a discussion, but I got the impression that Wuji is asking for something a bit more solid than an opinion, like a reference from scripture, commentary, or an accomplished master. Some discussions lend themselves to opinion, and others lend themselves to sources with more... "solidity" or "authority" than opinion.

My point is that sometimes opinions are like a certain body part- everybody has one, if you get my drift.

(Moderators- I mean a bellybutton when I say "body part".):D
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Today I was contemplating rebirth and my understanding of it is that everyone contains energy. We have Kamma based on our actions which affect that energy which is reborn. What I'm confused about is how can we be reborn with our Kamma if there is no spirit or soul. I don't particularly believe in a soul, spirit, or rebirth I just want to understand how it works in the Buddhist sense. If we are to be reborn and our past actions affect our rebirth doesn't there have to be a vessel to carry the energy and contain it as a form to enter a new life?

I've kind of always thought our energy just goes back into the universe surrounding us but, for rebirth to work I'd think there would need to be a membrane containing it the way our skin contains our body.
    The question is good.
    The question is particularly good because Buddhism encourages us to investigate.
    If there was an answer in the sutras; it wouldn’t be the answer. We would have to investigate anyways.
    I hate it (nothing personal) when “opinions” are dismissed as something inferior or bad.
    It is just Buddhist fundamentalism to throw in some quotes and believe things are settled.

There is no answer.
    “Store-house consciousness” and “most subtle stream of consciousness” are merely words.
    We can add some Pali and it still is just words.
    The phenomenon of rebirth simply has not been objectively observed.
    Before we can begin explaining how it works we would need some evidence it even occurs.
    I agree it would require some medium of storage and transportation of information.
    If there would be proof of consciousness surviving brain death, that would be a start.
    If you believe karma is a force of nature working outside our consciousness, there would have to be another medium.

The idea of rebirth – I think – will always bite the idea of anatta.
    When “I” am reborn there must be an “I”.
    When someone else is born (inheriting my karma), why would I care?

• jlljll Veteran
    ' I don't particularly believe in a soul, spirit, or rebirth I just want to '
    Then what is the point?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2011
    When contemplating rebirth it is all too easy to make it a personal thing. Indeed, it is quite hard to grasp how rebirth can happen without a soul or 'container'. But you can make an analogy with a dying tree. When a tree dies, it falls to the ground and eventually starts to rot. What is left over is fertilizing for other trees to sprout from it. The new tree is not the same as the old tree, neither is it totally different. It is arisen because of the death of the old tree. Nothing substantial is carried over from tree to tree but the second still couldn't be there without the first. It's just a process.

The same with rebirth. As long as we have unfinished business, there will be rebirth. There is no fundamental you being reborn, but instead these unfinished things (our attachments) are reborn. The most deep thing we are attached to is consciousness, so it's logical to see why some Buddhist call what is reborn the 'subtle mind / consciousness'. Seen like this, it is not just a Mahayana idea. Some people can remember past lives, these are -let's say- stored within this 'subtle mind / consciousness stream'. One could even call it a spirit, the difference is not that great. However doing that and you risk being chased by half the Buddhist society. ;)

As long as we remember things are without an inherent self, it is not wrong to call it a spirit however. We also say words like 'person' or 'me' and 'you', 'car' and 'house' to describe things. These are still just words and don't touch the reality.

Knowing why rebirth happens is the same as knowing how it happens. This is described in the sutta of dependent origination. Basically it is our ignorance that fuels craving for new rebirth, taking us away from nibbana.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • § 8. The Blessed One said, “From ignorance as a requisite condition come
    fabrications…. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging-&-death, sorrow,
    lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. Such is the origination of
    this entire mass of stress & suffering.”
    When this was said, a certain monk said to the Blessed One: “Which is the
    aging-&-death, lord, and whose is the aging-&-death?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said. “If one were to ask, ‘Which is
    the aging-&-death, and whose is the aging-&-death?’ and if one were to say,
    ‘Aging-&-death is one thing, and the aging-&-death is something/someone
    else’s,’ both of them would have the same meaning, even though their words
    would differ. It’s not the case that when one is of the view that the soul is the
    same as the body there is the leading of the holy life. And it’s not the case that
    when one is of the view that the soul is one thing and the body another there is
    the leading of the holy life. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tath›gata teaches
    the Dhamma via the middle: From birth as a requisite condition comes aging-&-
    death.”
    “Which is the birth, lord, and whose is the birth?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From becoming as a
    requisite condition comes birth.”
    “Which is the becoming, lord, and whose is the becoming?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From clinging as a requisite
    condition comes becoming.”
    “Which is the clinging, lord, and whose is the clinging?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From craving as a requisite
    condition comes clinging.”
    “Which is the craving, lord, and whose is the craving?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From feeling as a requisite
    condition comes craving.”
    “Which is the feeling, lord, and whose is the feeling?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From contact as a requisite
    condition comes feeling.”
    “Which is the contact, lord, and whose is the contact?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From the six sense media as
    a requisite condition comes contact.”
    “Which are the six sense media, lord, and whose are the six sense media?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From name-&-form as a
    requisite condition come the six sense media.”
    “Which is the name-&-form, lord, and whose is the name-&-form?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From consciousness as a
    requisite condition comes name-&-form.”
    “Which is the consciousness, lord, and whose is the consciousness?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said…. “From fabrications as a
    requisite condition comes consciousness.”
    “Which are the fabrications, lord, and whose are the fabrications?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said. “If one were to ask, ‘Which are
    the fabrications, and whose are the fabrications?’ and if one were to say,
    ‘Fabrications are one thing, and the fabrications are something/someone else’s,’
    both of them would have the same meaning, even though their words would
    differ. It’s not the case that when one is of the view that the soul is the same as
    the body there is the leading of the holy life. And it’s not the case that when one
    is of the view that the soul is one thing and the body another there is the leading
    of the holy life. Avoiding these two extremes, the Tath›gata teaches the
    Dhamma via the middle: From ignorance as a requisite condition come
    fabrications.
    “Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance, all
    of these writhings & wrigglings & wigglings—‘Which is the aging-&-death, and
    whose is the aging-&-death?’ or ‘Aging-&-death are one thing, and this aging-&-
    death are something/someone else’s’ or ‘The soul is the same as the body,’ or
    ‘The soul is one thing and the body another’—are abandoned, their root
    destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of existence,
    not destined for future arising.
    “From the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance, all of
    these writhings & wrigglings & wigglings—‘Which is the birth…. Which is the
    becoming…. Which is the clinging…. Which is the craving…. Which is the
    feeling…. Which is the contact…. Which are the six sense media…. Which is the
    name-&-form…. Which is the consciousness…. Which are the fabrications, and
    whose are the fabrications?’ or ‘Fabrications are one thing, and these fabrications
    are something/someone else’s’ or ‘The soul is the same as the body,’ or ‘The soul
    is one thing and the body another’—are abandoned, their root destroyed, made
    like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of existence, not destined for
    future arising.” — SN 12:35
  • § 7. The Buddha: “From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes
    contact.’”
    Ven. Moliyaphagguna: “Lord, who makes contact?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said. “I don’t say ‘makes contact.’ If I
    were to say ‘makes contact,’ then ‘Who makes contact?’ would be a valid
    question. But I don’t say that. When I don’t say that, the valid question is ‘From
    what as a requisite condition comes contact?’ And the valid answer is, ‘From the
    six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact. From contact as a
    requisite condition comes feeling.’”
    “Lord, who feels?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said. “I don’t say ‘feels.’ If I were to
    say ‘feels,’ then ‘Who feels?’ would be a valid question. But I don’t say that.
    When I don’t say that, the valid question is ‘From what as a requisite condition
    comes feeling?’ And the valid answer is, ‘From contact as a requisite condition
    comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving.’”
    “Lord, who craves?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said. “I don’t say ‘craves.’ If I were to
    say ‘craves,’ then ‘Who craves?’ would be a valid question. But I don’t say that.
    When I don’t say that, the valid question is ‘From what as a requisite condition
    comes craving?’ And the valid answer is, ‘From feeling as a requisite condition
    comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes
    clinging/sustenance.’”
    “Lord, who clings?”
    “Not a valid question,” the Blessed One said. “I don’t say ‘clings.’ If I were to
    say ‘clings,’ then ‘Who clings?’ would be a valid question. But I don’t say that.
    comes clinging?’ And the valid answer is, ‘From craving as a requisite condition
    comes clinging. From clinging as a requisite condition comes becoming. From
    becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite
    condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair
    come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.”
    — SN 12:12
  • As you can see, the question "Who is reborn?" is not a valid question. The Buddha did not say "reborn" he said "birth." With Becoming as a requisite condition, there arises "birth."
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There's something known as throwing karma, this is the karma generated by our minds at the time of death that determines the circumstances of the next birth.

Throwing karma refers to specifically at the end of the your life, the type of karma you create as you enter life. In that regards, let's say you have been a very virtuous person, very good all your life and tried to be developed and positive about the things you do, and at the end of your life, maybe things do not go well and you start to become very bitter for whatever reason. You do not handle negative situations well. Maybe the country goes to war for example. Maybe you become angry with that. Maybe become violent and kill others. The throwing karma for that is very bad. Although their life has been good, at the end circumstances went quite sour. Therefore their throwing karma is going to put them into a situation where violence is much more prevalent. Or they will be prone to being drawn to a violent country or violent circumstances. Also, mother and father of a character which would be more prone that way. So you could take a rebirth in another violent country because your state of consciousness at the end of your life is very violent.
    Because completing karma was quite good, maybe you will be fortune to travel to a country which was good! I am trying to present the idea in stories from a Buddhist perspective on how karma works from one lifetime to the next. The general example they use is that in throwing karma, you could have someone who is good during their life, but at the end of their life becomes involved in negativity for some reason. They die and for example, be born as a dog. But because they have good completing karma, they will born as a dog and get purchased by a rich family so they will live in the life of luxury in a dogs body. That is termed as bad throwing karma but good completing karma.
    In reverse to that, a negative person could get imprisoned and have a change of heart. They try then to be a better person, and become sincere. In that way, when they die, they have pure aspirations of being good. That throwing karma would be good and they could take human rebirth. But in the next lifetime, because completing karma was not very good, having previously been a thief or such, they might have to meet time and again bad circumstances, getting their possessions stolen, having a lot of interferences, violence happen to the, they are receiving the results of bad completing karma, but they have good throwing karma because they took a human rebirth.

http://www.buddhistconsulting.com/Teachings/karma4.html
  • It is difficult to disapprove something that is in line with the laws of nature if it exists.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2011
    This is a discussion, dear Dakini. Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion. No need to try and shut up other opinions, let alone feel harassed by them. Be well.:)
    ok, nibbuti, maybe I misread your earlier comments. They seemed sarcastic to me, or like one of those "less debating, more practice"-type comments, which I don't view as helpful. Anyway, if I misread you, then I apologize, to you and to everyone. It's not that I was intending to stifle an opinion on karma/rebirth. I thought you were being disrespectful, but I take it I was wrong. :dunce:
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It is difficult to disapprove something that is in line with the laws of nature if it exists.
    I think you should pick apart this sentence.

• edited June 2011
    Santhisouk that is my question as my understanding of physics would suggest it would to me.

SherabDorje, Dakini, Talisman and others thanks for the references and zenff that was a great answer. I think that store-house concsciousness and seeds do in fact suggest something like a soul or spirit. Perhaps they are different ideas semantically but similar in respects to carrying on consciousness.

jll: The point is to find answers so I can make up my own mind. That is generally why one ask questions.

Nibbuti - Buddha asked us to investigate and make up our own minds. I'm simply investigating not suffering from regret karma but, that did make me laugh. I've had many girlfriends none of which helped me better understand the rebirth process. This is why I ask the question on a Buddhist forum. Also after 30 years of meditation the answer hasn't come but thanks for all your unhelpful suggestions. I take your comment "questions connected with wishes and fantasies like rebirth or kamma" to mean you do not believe in them. Perhaps this isn't a topic for you unless you have some evidence to the contrary that helped make up your mind gained from your girlfriends and "meditative attentiveness". ;)
  • rebirth is compatible with karma, but the two aren't compatible with some (miss)understandings of anatta.
  • jlljll Veteran
    There is no self. But there is the illusion of self. Its not real but it seems real to us. Just like the images on TV. So until you are free from the delusion, 'you' are reborn.
  • "§ When I [Ajaan Geoff/Thanisssaro Bhikkhu] first went to practice meditation with Ajaan Fuang, I asked him if people really were reborn after death. He answered, "When you start out practicing, the Buddha asks you to believe in only one thing: karma. As for things aside from that, whether or not you believe them isn't really important."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/fuang/itself.html#people :buck:
  • There is no self.
    Your "no self" didn't type this sentence. :buck:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "I think in Theravada, karma doesn't need a vehicle, but in Mahayana, subtle consciousness is the vehicle. Take your pick."

From what I understand of my teacher (mahayana) she says karma is an appearance like the sun rises in the east. For it to operate it must (would) be outside of time and space.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    At the same time, Dakini, there is exactly that teaching you mention given by HHDL. I am not clear if these are different teachings sort of levels. For example one can give an abhidharma teaching. And then give a madyamaka teaching which contradicts.
  • @Jeffrey

karma needs time and space to operate...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    So how does the karma from a guy in ancient germania get to a person born in recent times? The atoms are not causally related.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Vincenzi I think this view is due to the belief that the time and space are a construct of mind in the first place. Thus the essential nature of a being cannot be time and space related.
  • edited June 2011
    From Wikipedia:

"According to Walpola Rahula, all the elements of the Yogacara storehouse-consciousness are already found in the Pali Canon.[4] He writes that the three layers of the mind (citta, manas, and vijnana) as presented by Asanga are also used in the Pali Canon: "Thus we can see that Vijnana represents the simple reaction or response of the sense organs when they come in contact with external objects. This is the uppermost or superficial aspect or layer of the Vijnanaskanda. Manas represents the aspect of its mental functioning, thinking, reasoning, conceiving ideas, etc. Citta which is here called Alayavijnana, represents the deepest, finest and subtlest aspect or layer of the Aggregate of consciousness. It contains all the traces or impressions of the past actions and all good and bad future possibilities."[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaya

Isn't Walpola Rahula a Sri Lankan Theravadin?
  • I think karma is a mosaic. Little patterns that make up a big pattern. The past and present and future linked together like one big design. If we realize we are suffering and the way to end suffering has been pointed out, what have we got to lose? Same thing with karma, if we realize we can change our karma and escape it, does it really matter where karma originated?
  • I think karma is a mosaic. Little patterns that make up a big pattern. The past and present and future linked together like one big design. If we realize we are suffering and the way to end suffering has been pointed out, what have we got to lose? Same thing with karma, if we realize we can change our karma and escape it, does it really matter where karma originated?
    That's not the question. The OP's question is how karma moves from lifetime to lifetime without something that "transports" it, for lack of a better term. I think somebody also posted above something regarding "if karma goes from lifetime to lifetime but it's somebody else entirely that is born with that karma, why should I care?".

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    From what I understand of my teacher (mahayana) she says karma is an appearance like the sun rises in the east. For it to operate it must (would) be outside of time and space.
    I don't know what to make of this. HHDL's perspective makes sense to me. And we've seen in another discussion (as well as here) that the alayavajnana, some believe, is similar to the "very subtle mind", or at least, the alaya is seeds, or "seed consciousness" that acts as the vehicle for karma.

So I think we have ourselves an answer to the OP.
    So how does the karma from a guy in ancient germania get to a person born in recent times? The atoms are not causally related.
    This is why it's an "imponderable". But is it about atoms? Is consciousness, "very subtle mind", "seed consciousness" about atoms? Does it have a physical component? You're the physicist, Jeffrey, enlighten us. ;)

I think somebody also posted above something regarding "if karma goes from lifetime to lifetime but it's somebody else entirely that is born with that karma, why should I care?".

I missed that the first time around, but I often ask myself the same question. In the end when I think about future lives I do feel responsible for someone elses happiness. I guess its been a helpful view to help develop compassion though I often wonder why I should care about future lives as well. I look at my life and see that I have relativly good karma so I can be grateful that the previous life "I" cared and since I can't pay them back I can "pay it forward". (As much as I dislike those trite, feel-good cliches)
  • I think somebody also posted above something regarding "if karma goes from lifetime to lifetime but it's somebody else entirely that is born with that karma, why should I care?".

I missed that the first time around, but I often ask myself the same question. In the end when I think about future lives I do feel responsible for someone elses happiness. I guess its been a helpful view to help develop compassion though I often wonder why I should care about future lives as well. I look at my life and see that I have relativly good karma so I can be grateful that the previous life "I" cared and since I can't pay them back I can "pay it forward". (As much as I dislike those trite, feel-good cliches)
    I get what you're saying, but if there's not the alaya consciousness or the storehouse consciousness or the very subtle consciousness, and if it's in no way connected with you in this lifetime, what does it matter? I know it may sound somewhat selfish, but if everybody just dies when they die and there is no continuity of the alaya consciousness, then, as I have said in previous discussions about this, what's the point of karma? I mean, if I have a storehouse or very subtle consciousness that will somehow be reborn or reincarnated depending on karma, then I care. Otherwise, why should I care?

edited June 2011
    @SherabDorje I don't know, I often ask myself why I should care too. I don't feel that one lifetime is "in no way" connected to the next but when I think of my "I" its made up of memories and experiences from this life. I guess karma includes mental habits as well so I suppose there would be some similarity of personality? Like in a past life I had a craving for cookies and in this life that karma of craving continues but due to the unique experiences of this life its a craving for ice cream. Idk I don't remember any previous lives so I can't say if we're similar people or not.
  • Just an interesting story for those who haven't heard it- supposedly the very first time HHDL went to the Summer Palace, between the ages of 5 and 10, when he was taken into the bedroom, he pointed at a chest of drawers and said "My teeth are in there." Of course everyone in the room was a little puzzled, but one of the older monks looked to see what he might be talking about, and found the 13th DL's false teeth in there.

So maybe the 13th liked sweets too, but a little too much...?

I know. Bad joke, but interesting story if it's true.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I wish I had that talent when I have misplaced something.
  • These questions are "imponderable." It is impossible to know the exact mechanisms behind rebirth and karma because the processes are far more complex and grand than any form of human conceptualization.

The Buddha never stated any "one" is "reborn." He said that with Becoming as a requisite condition, there arises "birth." This is what is important. "Birth" leads to old age, death, lamentation, stress, suffering, despair. Wishing for either the continuation or non-continuation of any of the aggregates including consciousness is "Becoming." Becoming leads to Birth leads to Old Age and Death.

We should move beyond these types of imponderable and unnecessary inquiries and focus on how the path can be used to escape this endless cycle of dissatisfaction, suffering, loss, and despair.
  • § 30. “Is it true, Sati, that this evil view has arisen in you?—‘As I understand
    the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is just this consciousness that runs and
    wanders on [from birth to birth], not another.’”
    “Exactly so, lord. As I understand the Dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it
    is just this consciousness that runs and wanders on, not another.”
    “Which consciousness, Sati, is that?”
    “This speaker, this knower, lord, that is sensitive here & there to the ripening
    of good & evil actions.”
    “And to whom, worthless man, do you understand me to have taught the
    Dhamma like that? Haven’t I, in many ways, said of dependently co-arisen
    consciousness, ‘Apart from a requisite condition, there is no coming-into-play of
    consciousness’? But you, through your own poor grasp, not only misrepresent
    me but also dig yourself up (by the root) and produce much demerit. That will
    be for your long-term harm & suffering.” — MN 38
  • @Talisman- that does not rule out, phenomenologically speaking, the "storehouse consciousness" or the "very subtle consciousness":

“This speaker, this knower, lord, that is sensitive here & there to the ripening
    of good & evil actions.”

This describes the mundane or everyday consciousness- the words "This speaker, this knower" clearly demonstrate that, IMO. Certainly it is this which is not-self according to the Buddha and "this speaker" would not continue from lifetime to lifetime.

It's a perfect example of the "gross self" that the Buddha taught, correctly, that is really not-self.
  • karma is action... it is space and time related.

karma between rebirths is not yet explainable with science...