Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is multitasking "anti-mindfulness"?

pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hey guys,
New to Buddhism here; I'm fascinated by the idea of mindfulness and meditation. I realize I'm constantly worried about the future and what problems it could bring me, and as a consequence, failing to live the life that is happening right now. I've started to work on it, but I have a question when it comes to multitasking.
Two specific examples:
While driving I like to listen to music, audiobooks, podcasts...etc. I've actually been listening to the Dalai Lama recently. As I understand it, being "mindful" seems to imply that I should be focused on driving and ONLY driving. But at the same time, I am extremely busy and often it is times like these that I can think about the "important but not urgent" tasks. I spend over 4 hours commuting a day, and I can't help but to feel it is time "wasted" if I'm not doing something practical. What's your opinions?
Case number 2: I'm a college student, and during the school year, I often like to study with friends. In some ways, this is multitasking - doing work often while talking. Would this also be a case of being "not mindful"?
I guess my biggest question is even if these things are not be considered "mindful", would it be detrimental to my overall efforts on being mindful?

Thanks guys, any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• multitask if you can be mindful of all concurrent activities only.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Lol, like that is even possible, Vincenzi. Do you realize how much your body does while you do even one activity?

Pauliwago, in my opinion you have a body designed to handle multiple processes at once. Becoming focused on a single action/object is fine when you can, and fine when you can't. For instance, listening to HHDL in your car doesn't make you less mindful, it makes you less mindful of driving, more mindful of the words he is speaking.

As long as you are still active in the way you set aside discursive thoughts, you can be mindful with any number of activities. Its in meditation we aim at one single object, and then only to cultivate focus.

With warmth,

Matt
  • @aMatt

it is possible, if the activities are compatible.

for example, drawing and listening to music... but not studying and listening to music.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    I think the scientific research says multitasking really reduces the effectiveness of any task you're engaged in.

One of the yearly Mind and Life Institute meetings with HHDL focused on attention, memory and mind. There's like 5 days of meetings 4 hours a day so its alot to watch but its downloadable here here's a link to the first morning on you tube.

• IMO, yes, multi-tasking is anti-mindfulness. Driving, for me, is ultimate mindfulness; one false move, and you're in trouble, or you're a statistic. The nature of the activity demands full attention. I think we're fooling ourselves if we think we can listen to music, plan a speech, or work on other tasks while driving. We can get away with it maybe most of the time, but it only takes one slip-up. Instead of thinking the time is "wasted" (see, it's all in your mind, you've programmed yourself to believe the time is wasted), use the time to relax. Some people actually find a long commute restful. (But I admit, 2+ hours each way is a lot of time out of your day.) Now, if you get stuck in bumper-to bumper traffic and it comes to a standstill, break out the CD's and PAR-TAY! :D That's what I do, instead of fuming and feeling stuck. But I guess I have an unusual take on driving.
  • Actually , being mindful is like being present with whatever that is here and now. It doesn't have to be one thing. It can include anything that is here. It is less concentrated than sitting meditation where you place your attention on one thing ( such as the breath only).

For mindfulness, let's say you are taking a walking , you would feel the warmth of the sun and the soft breeze on your skin and hear the sounds of the birds in the air, and see the beautiful scenery in front of you. In other words, you are fully immerse in what is here and now without getting lost in thoughts about the past or worries about the future.

If you are driving instead of walking, then maybe you see what is in front of you and hear whatever sounds that are present. The sounds are in the present also, so why not be with it or include it as well. After all, it is also part of this moment.

Actually, whenever you are fully present while driving you can't help but vividly hear the sounds that are coming out of the radio. During that moment that you are present, the same song sounds much much better than when your mind is busy thinking while listening and driving. It can make you feel quite joyful for no reason when you are fully present while driving and listening to the sounds that is here and now ( whatever you are playing in your radio).

• pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
    Thanks for your input.
    So I can see there is some debate about the driving situation; but it's pretty clear that studying and talking would be anti-mindfulness. I also get that you CAN be mindful about a task that is normally considered "mindless" (such as doing chores).
    I don't mean to be so nit-picky, but I'm trying to understand this to the fullest. How about listening to insightful wisdom of the Dalai Lama, for example? When I listen to him, I often feel a need to think about what he said. Staying "mindful" and in the present feels like I'm not digesting what he is saying. But of course, while I'm busy thinking about what he said, I'm missing what he is saying CURRENTLY. So I'm not sure what is better.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    when you multitask then there is mindfulness of multitasking.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Scientists have proven that multi-tasking is a myth. You are simply switching from one task to another.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    so how do you pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time hehe
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    @aMatt

it is possible, if the activities are compatible.

for example, drawing and listening to music... but not studying and listening to music.
    You missed my point. You are not studying and listening to music only. You are also processing senses, digesting, billions of cells are moving, you're growing skin, breathing on and on and on.

We are born as a multitask. Dharma's post above captures the notion well in my opinion. Mindfulness happens independent of what tasks or how many tasks.
    Here's a good article on the downside of multi-tasking.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2006/03/6417.ars

As for the study group. Chatting may break mindfulness but there are also a lot of positives of studying with others. I feel the upside of a study group, that focuses on the studying more than the chatting, outweighs the downside.
    edited June 2011
  • jlljll Veteran
    There is a difference between a volitional activity and natural processes that happen without our control.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Some activities you are in the rhythm. Like dancing. Jazz music. Rhythm of a lot of things.

Sports was like that for me. You didn't have to think where you were dribblling the basketball. You just did it. Fakes and movements back and forth. While at the same time you are watching the other players to see when to make a pass.

One could say you are doing one task a monilith 'basketball' but that is not the experience I am talking about.

At the same time I think doing a lot of tasks such as ammonium distillation, ph meter calibration, total solids, calibrate the instrument forgot whats called, etc etc.. I had job with 5-6 'pots' always going I really had to come to awareness to be able to handle that. To take my time enough to get everything right. Because if you hurry too much you make mistake and takes even longer.

I think it depends if you are thinking too much. If your job depends on getting things done rather than thinking too much then multitasking with awareness is no problem. By that I mean the necessity can force one to let go and get things correct with the right mixture of effort and relaxation.

• I have a particular situation because my work is multi-tasking much of the time and many aspects of my life as well. I work supervising after school programs for children. So we all are engaged with the children but also need to be mindful of the time to change activities, the door where parents come to pick up, the other children and activities going on in the room, etc. I can do it, I will say I am not as good at the games then (te kids beat me at Stratego, even kindergartners!). However the longer I have practiced the more I find myself turning off the radio in the car at times, or having no music at home, just real silence. I find that even though I appear totally engaged with the kids, part of me knows I am the in charge/medical person and i can drop a task quickly to attend to whatever happens (broken arm, angry parent, bloody nose).

there are other times when I am struggling with some type of question and I sit and crochet or work a word puzzle and soon after putting the question out of my mind I get a good answer. I do not think it works when I try to crochet and think about the problem, I must put it totally out of my mind for the answer to come.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Sounds challenging, aheerdt, nice to hear of your work. I find that too with regard to answers coming. Its a hard place to be when you feel uneasy and are 'trying' to figure things out. It makes me feel like I am sleepy like nothing is right. When I can't get closure.
  • My life is so chaotic at the moment that I find it very difficult to sit down and watch a movie for more than 10 minutes without jumping up to do something else. I've always got so many demands on my time, I don't feel like I've stopped whirling since I started school in August. I'm *so* looking forward to ten days in Belize at Christmas! :)
  • santhisouksanthisouk Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Depends what you mean by minfulness. If you are trying to reach higher meditative states, I don't see it as being possible while multitasking. It's possible you could be mindful of your mind and body while chopping wood and carrying water, but I don't see it being possible to be mindful of your mind and body while driving and carrying on a conversation. Just my opinion.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I call it being efficient. So long as you do not overexert yourself and end up doing more harm than good in the end.
  • The mind can only focus on one thing at a time. There is no such thing as "multitasking". It is actually serial mono-tasking going so fast that one doesn't notice the discontinuity. Changes occur in microsecs that the illusion of continuity is maintained.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95256794
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    tasks are non-self. So they are not one and not many.

Sandokei

Identity of Relative and Absolute[1]

The mind of the Great Sage of India was intimately

conveyed from west to east.

Among human beings are wise ones and fools,

But in the Way there is no northern or southern Patriarch.

The subtle source is clear and bright; the tributary

streams flow through the darkness.

To be attached to things is illusion;

To encounter the absolute is not yet enlightenment.

Each and all, the subjective and objective spheres are related,

and at the same time, independent.

Related, yet working differently, though each keeps its own place.

Form makes the character and appearance different;

Sounds distinguish comfort and discomfort.

The dark makes all words one; the brightness distinguishes good and bad phrases.

The four elements return to their nature as a child to its mother.

Fire is hot, wind moves, water is wet, earth hard.

Eyes see, ears hear, nose smells, tongue tastes the salt and sour.

Each is independent of the other; cause and effect must return to the great reality

Like leaves that come from the same root.

The words high and low are used relatively.

Within light there is darkness, but do not try to understand that darkness;

Within darkness there is light, but do not look for that light.

Light and darkness are a pair, like the foot before

and the foot behind, in walking. Each thing has its own intrinsic value

and is related to everything else in function and position.

Ordinary life fits the absolute as a box ands its lid.

The absolute works together with the relative like two arrows meeting in mid-air.

Reading words you should grasp the great reality. Do not judge by any standards.

If you do not see the Way, you do not see it even as you walk on it.

When you walk the Way, it is not near, it is not far.

If you are deluded, you are mountains and rivers away from it.

I respectfully say to those who wish to be enlightened:

Do not waste your time by night or day.
  • pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
    @person
    Just wanted to say thank you for the video recommendations. I've been listening to all of them and they are absolutely fascinating! I am actually studying cognitive science at my university and will be doing research soon; this is absolutely fascinating stuff!