Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does being in the present allow for reflection?

pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hey guys,
I've just discovered the joy of being in the present. I'm working hard on it, and even in the short time that I have, I've seen some remarkable improvement in my stress level and overall appreciation of life.
However, I have a problem when it comes to reflecting and "analyzing" my life. Here's my thought process: because I'm always (striving to) live in the present, when will I ever get a chance to examine my life and look at the whole picture to see if I'm heading in the right direction?
I used to (and still often do...am working on it) think about consequences, the big picture, etc. ALL the time; so much so, that I never really lived in the present because I was always so caught up worrying about the future and thinking about the past. I realize this is ineffective.
On the other hand, I think the opposite is also ineffective - to live life constantly in the now; so much so that we don't think about the direction we're heading. In many ways, I see this as how animals live - they don't think about their future (at least from what I can tell), but live only in the now.
So I'm looking for that "middle way" here.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Joy and love is felt best in the present don't you think? :)

metta
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    You don't have to try to analyze. Insights will just bubble up. If you are easy and letting go of thoughts then insight comes up.

It depends what you mean by 'being present'. If you are in your experience rather than in worries that is good. If you are straining to 'be present' as a exertion it can sort of be too tense (I thinnk this is so).
  • pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
    Thanks for your responses. Since I'm not used to being in the present, sometimes it does feel like a strain; not so much stressful, but I have to keep telling myself "stay mindful". Sometimes I do miss the main point of what I'm doing because I am so busy telling myself to be mindful. Is part of being mindful telling yourself to focus on a task too?
  • Your mind is like a mirror. When you are distracted by the past and future, it is like a foggy or smudged mirror, bad at true reflection, reflecting only dreams and faint memories. When you are present to this moment, it is like a clean and radiant mirror, reflecting the beauty of the world with every waking moment.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    Do you really need more than the present moment to see that you are headed in the right direction?
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited June 2011
    We can reflect while we are mindful of the present. Mindful reflection is like examining a flower from multiple angles.

When we are being sucked into the past and future, it feels like we are a mouse in a maze seeking cheese, with hunger pushing us forward. The hunger (craving, clinging) is so loud we don't have the space to be present.

Simply notice the difference for awhile, and you'll know when you aren't present. Then sit, wake up, start again.
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    Hello pauliwago:

It is ok to recollect experiences from the past, but a lot of times this action its drived by craving and clinging (not always).

"And which are the 18 craving-verbalizations dependent on what is external? There being 'I am because of this (or: by means of this),' there comes to be 'I am here because of this,' there comes to be 'I am like this because of this' ... 'I am otherwise because of this' ... 'I am bad because of this' ... 'I am good because of this' ... 'I might be because of this' ... 'I might be here because of this' ... 'I might be like this because of this' ... 'I might be otherwise because of this' ... 'May I be because of this' ... 'May I be here because of this' ... 'May I be like this because of this' ... 'May I be otherwise because of this' ... 'I will be because of this' ... 'I will be here because of this' ... 'I will be like this because of this' ... 'I will be otherwise because of this.' These are the 18 craving-verbalizations dependent on what is external.

In this "18 craving verbalizations" it is showed that craving usually ends in past and future projections.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    If you are too harsh in trying to be mindful it dulls and agitates the awareness.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    You can run away your whole life from the present moment. But you running is done in the present moment.

Just stop and see. That is all.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited June 2011
    You can only be in the present, can't you? Confusion arises because the phrase "living in the moment" is used as a metaphor for mindfulness.

One can engage memory in a mindful way, and thus be "in the moment" whilst contemplating the past.

The same is true of forward planning - it can be, indeed it is best done, mindfully.
  • The longer you can stay in the present the more you will see the truth in everything.

• Staying at present has no reflection but profuse loving-kindness..gee :rockon:
  • pauliwago, you've raised exactly the objection I have to the "be here now" philosophy. Of course you need to project into the future to do financial planning, plan the grocery shopping list, and other practical matters. And you need to reflect on the past to learn from your mistakes. It's like they say: those who haven't studied history are doomed to repeat the same mistakes. Focussing on the present mainly refers to focussing on the activity of the moment rather than allowing distractions, following random thoughts, indulging in fantasies. The more disciplined you become in your meditation practice (where staying focussed on the "now" is what it's all about), the more naturally that will carry over into daily life. The idea that one should stay constantly in the present is a misunderstanding about the teaching. Maybe monastics who have all their needs met can afford that luxury, but householders certainly can't.
  • Good point CW. We can however use it where it is most useful. When we meditate.
  • Hey guys,
    I've just discovered the joy of being in the present. I'm working hard on it, and even in the short time that I have, I've seen some remarkable improvement in my stress level and overall appreciation of life.
    However, I have a problem when it comes to reflecting and "analyzing" my life. Here's my thought process: because I'm always (striving to) live in the present, when will I ever get a chance to examine my life and look at the whole picture to see if I'm heading in the right direction?
    Hi pauliwago,

That's a good question. Why not reflect on your direction in life at a certain time of the day that you set aside. For example, after your daily sitting meditation session ( if you meditate). That is when your mind is not as restless, maybe creative ideas have more chances of surfacing also.

With metta,

• I used to think about consequences, the big picture, etc.
    Thinking about consequences is a component of wisdom and key to choosing right action, i.e. generating "good karma" and avoiding negative consequences of actions.
    ALL the time; so much so, that I never really lived in the present because I was always so caught up worrying about the future and thinking about the past. I realize this is ineffective.
    On the other hand, I think the opposite is also ineffective - to live life constantly in the now; so much so that we don't think about the direction we're heading.
    It can't be done in lay life.
    So I'm looking for that "middle way" here.
    Now you're cooking! :clap:

This is exactly what the Buddha said to do. Test whatever advice or teachings you receive. If it doesn't work, chuck it. You never know, it may have been misguided advice or a misunderstanding of how to apply a teaching. You were tending toward extremes either way, and now you've found, or are in the process of finding, a practical middle. I think you've figured it out, pauliwago! :om:

• edited June 2011
    There is often a confusion between mindfulness during sitting meditation and mindfulness in daily activities.

In daily life what is recommended is " mindfulness and clear discrimination" sometimes translated as " mindfulness and clear comprehension".

This simply means that you are being attentive and distinguish between what is wholesome and unwholesome words, thoughts, and action , then let the unwholesome go. You don't have to let go of your judgement and just be aware. However, in sitting meditation you simply be aware and not engage your thoughts until the end of the meditation session.

For daily activities you can distinguish right from wrong, that includes words, thoughts, and action:

“ Mindfully one abandons wrong view, mindfully one enters upon and abides in right view: this is one’s right mindfulness. ”

“Mindfully one abandons wrong intention, mindfully one enters upon and abides in right intention: this is one’s right mindfulness.”

“ Mindfully one abandons wrong speech, mindfully one enters upon and abides in right speech: this is one’s right mindfulness. “- MN 117

"Mindfully one abandons wrong action, mindfully one enters upon and abides in right action: this is one’s right mindfulness. “

"Mindfully one abandons wrong livelihood, mindfully one enters upon and abides in right livelihood: this is one’s right mindfulness.

Mindfulness and clear discrimination ( sati-sampajannampaham: note- this has sampajanna attached to it rather than sati alone)

"While going forward or back,
    he is clearly aware of what he is doing;
    while looking forward or back,
    while bending or stretching,
    while carrying his upper robe, outer robe and bowl,
    while eating, drinking, chewing and tasting,
    while voiding or peeing,
    while walking, while standing, while sitting, while asleep,
    while awake, while (((TALKING))), or while remaining silent,
    he is clearly aware of what he is doing"-Upali Sutta

Notice that talking is also included.

I would say that sati-sampajanna simply means being awake/attentive enough to distinguish what is wholesome from unwholesome , be it words, thoughts, or action in life. When repeatitive or unproductive restless worries arise , simply let it go and enjoy the moment. The same goes with the other 4 hindrances.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2011
    The present moment is spacious. It comes from the land without time.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Until we understand the workings of our mind in unwanted moments, the only thing that can change for us is who or what will be blamed the next time we run into a similar event. Guy Finley
  • AmeliaAmelia Veteran
    pauliwago, I'm happy to hear about your improvement.

What is the right direction for you? Do you have something that you are working for? If not, then why worry?

Being mindful was a tense activity for me when I first started. I seemed to think there were rules. :rolleyes:

Even thoughts of the past and future are happening in the present.

Be gentle. A small amount of force is sometimes all it takes to push a laden cart, but usually we just push hard. Press just enough to gain momentum, then roll.
  • The Buddha did not teach staying in the present moment which is not the same as mindfulness.

Quote:

The wise and virtuous shine like a blazing fire.
    He who acquires his wealth in harmless ways
    like to a bee that honey gathers,[6]
    riches mount up for him
    like ant hill's rapid growth.

With wealth acquired this way,
    a layman fit for household life,
    in portions four divides his wealth:
    thus will he friendship win.

One portion for his wants he uses,[7]
    two portions on his business spends,
    the fourth for times of need he keeps.

Sigalovada Sutta
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.nara.html
  • edited June 2011

Buddha taught Dhamma is visible here and now:

AN 6.47 Sanditthika Sutta: Visible Here-&-Now

"Then Moliyasivaka the wanderer went to the Blessed One and exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side.

As he was sitting there, he said to the Blessed One, "'The Dhamma is visible here-&-now, the Dhamma is visible here-&-now,' it is said.

To what extent is the Dhamma visible here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves?"

"Very well, then, Sivaka, I will ask you a question in return. Answer as you see fit. What do you think: When greed is present within you, do you discern that 'Greed is present within me'? And when greed is not present within you, do you discern that 'Greed is not present within me'?"

"Yes, lord."

"The fact that when greed is present within you, you discern that greed is present within you; and when greed is not present within you, you discern that greed is not present within you: that is one way in which the Dhamma is visible in the here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.

"What do you think: When aversion is present within you... When delusion is present within you... When a greedy quality[1] is present within you... When an aversive quality is present within you...

"What do you think: When a delusive quality is present within you, do you discern that 'A delusive quality is present within me'? And when a delusive quality is not present within you, do you discern that 'A delusive quality is not present within me'?"

"Yes, lord."

"The fact that when a delusive quality is present within you, you discern that a delusive quality is present within you; and when a delusive quality is not present within you, you discern that a delusive quality is not present within you:

that is one way in which the Dhamma is visible in the here-&-now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves."

"Magnificent, lord! Magnificent! Just as if he were to place upright what was overturned, to reveal what was hidden, to show the way to one who was lost, or to carry a lamp into the dark so that those with eyes could see forms, in the same way the has Blessed One — through many lines of reasoning — made the Dhamma clear.

I go to the Blessed One for refuge, to the Dhamma, and to the Community of monks. May the Blessed One remember me as a lay follower who has gone to him for refuge, from this day forward, for life."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an06/an06.047.than.html
  • The Buddha also said in MN 131:

"You shouldn't chase after the past
    or place expectations on the future.
    What is past is left behind.
    The future is as yet unreached.
    Whatever quality is present
    you clearly see right there, right there."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.131.than.html

• So I'm looking for that "middle way" here.
    Wise reflection is necessary and useful.

Spiny
  • @pauliwago - i hope this helps resolve a common false dichotomy and misconception, reflection is an important aspect of conscientiousness (aka, heed-fullness: apamada). an exerpt from Samyutta Nikaya 16.2, Anottaapi Sutta: Carelessness

"And how is a person ardent? There is the case where a monk thinks, 'The arising of unarisen evil, unskillful qualities would lead to what is unbeneficial,' and he arouses ardor. 'The non-abandoning of arisen evil, unskillful qualities... The non-arising of unarisen skillful qualities... The ceasing of arisen skillful qualities would lead to what is unbeneficial,' and he arouses ardor. This is what it means to be ardent.

And how is a person compunctious? There is the case where a monk thinks, 'The arising of unarisen evil, unskillful qualities would lead to what is unbeneficial,' and he feels compunction. 'The non-abandoning of arisen evil, unskillful qualities... The non-arising of unarisen skillful qualities... The ceasing of arisen skillful qualities would lead to what is unbeneficial,' and he feels compunction. This is what it means to be compunctious. This is how a person ardent & compunctious is capable of self-awakening, capable of Unbinding, capable of attaining the unexcelled security from bondage."

being present and considering the effects of action are not mutually exclusive, in fact skillfully attending and considering virtuous action will aid the peacefulness and clarity of mind available in the present which will allow for more refined skillfulness, and so on..
  • pauliwagopauliwago Explorer
    Thanks to all of you for such in-depth responses. They've been really insightful. I think I like the idea of setting time aside at a certain point in the day for reflection and not worrying/thinking about other things throughout the day.

I'm very new to meditation (just started a few days ago) and just as new to the concept of mindfulness. I hear the "don't be too forceful in your mindfulness" a lot, but what does that really mean? Rather, the way I see mindfulness (at least in the initial stages) is that it's sort of a self checkup system. You check your state/thoughts once in a while and see "am I being mindful of the task I'm doing?" and if not, then to take my attention from whatever I was thinking and to focus my attention on what's at hand. Is this right? I feel like in some ways this is counterproductive..since the time you take in "checking up" on yourself is really not being mindful..right? And excessive checking up would seem to be a problem of its own...but then at what point does it become excessive??
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    pauliwago,

you might have some of the glow of newness. remember when you were a kid painting? you just created and didn't worry about if you were 'good' or not. at least i didn't. i thought i was pretty good because my imagination was buzzing and the colors were pretty. even though it didn't go in the guggenheim.

when you practice meditation more you start to think: when is something going to happen? it must be because i am drifting off too much? i am not very good.

then you start reprimanding yourself involuntarily for drifting off. BAD jeffrey! this does two things. first there is a great opportunity for insight into the workings of the mind to observe what is happening when it comes back. because the other qualities of the mind are dominated by the harshness of scolding. so you miss seeing the movie, because harshness is talking and throwing popcorn. Second the harshness itself disturbs the qualities of the mind that feel supportive and makes you duller and more agitated. this doesn't mean you 'did it wrong' or 'failed' because that judgement would be an additional negativity!

when you experience a negativity you just recognize it in mindfulness. 'i am angry'. 'i am dull'. And then you sit with it.

the process of ironing out the negativities isn't just zoning out. It is recognition AND non-blaming AND a correction somehow if needed. In relationships at work we might reflect more to find the correction, but usually in meditation we are in a creative state of mind and the unfolding and unwinding of the hurt is catalyzed by insights/changes in our view. They occur naturally in the ease and clarity/creativity/natural. Of meditation.