Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

do others not 'study' much?

AMHAMH
edited June 2011 in Buddhism Today
I am not sure how common this is, especially on a forum here where obviously people come to talk about Buddhism, however I have felt very confident in not doing much study/reading on Buddhism over the years. I find that sometimes I get too much into my intellectual side and that is unbalanced, but also I have this feeling that if I study then I get into the realm of trying to know it all or more than others to be an 'authentic Buddhist'. So i don't. I guess I feel that interferes with practice

I have less than 12 books on Buddhism, 4 of those purchased just for a group I study with at the UU church. We joke in the group because I often lose the book even though I always read them. I am the least studied one in the group however every year when we do a service for our UU church I do a dharma talk that is well recieved.

So meanwhile one of my life goals is to be tri-lingual and teach meditation. I need to practice my French and just started taking Spanish classes. The reason to study more would be to have some credentials for possibly teach meditation only. I think that working with a teacher could also do that.

Hmm, just wondering what others may have to say.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @AHeerdt -- I recently gave away 99% of the spiritual endeavor books that had accumulated over the years. I'm getting old and the books were acting more as dust-catchers than wise inspiration. I'm just saying what happened ... not advocating.

But for someone who wants to teach meditation, I think it would be useful not to shy from the intellect. A good grounding helps to give others a hand. True, getting swept up in intellectual appreciations carries its dangers. But getting caught up in non-intellectual appreciations carries very similar dangers. I guess I'm saying that I think each person will make his or her decisions based on careful and sometimes courageous investigation. It's not something to worry too much about ... either way, you are bound to make mistakes. :) The willingness to correct them is what counts.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    study>meditate>study>meditate> integrate >meditate>study>meditate>meditate> integrate.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    If you get into the realm of trying to be an authentic buddhist then you can just practice with THAT. In other words there is no reason to not study because it may lead you to some thinking. You can always work with the consequent thinking skillfully.

Some of this is like riding a bike. Nobody can tell you when to lean left and right.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Recognise your natural tendency. I am very brain-centred, so I love reading, learning, discussing. Doing, not so much. So I have to restrain myself. I have too many books. Genkaku, you are right, I should give them away.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    I don't even know how many Buddhist books and sutras I have in my possession, some of which I haven't finished or even begun to read! I love learning and studying the dharma. I read a lot, and quickly, so having many books ready to be studied is wonderful for me. I feel very fortunate to have a mind geared towards spirituality and religious beliefs.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Most just read and never practice.
    It's especially common here in the West.
  • edited June 2011
    After many years of offline Mahayana/Vajrayana practice,discovering and reading suttas in the Pali Canon was a life-changing revelation for me. So therefore, as well as regular meditation being essential, study has been very important too.

Pali Canon suttas can be found at this website:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/index.html
    After many years of offline Mahayana/Vajrayana practice,discovering and reading suttas in the Pali Canon was a life-changing revelation for me. So therefore, as well as regular meditation being essential, study has been very important too.

Pali Canon suttas can be found at this website:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/index.html
    Agreed!
    I think reading the Suttas and Meditating is very important in ones practice.
  • I have too many books. Genkaku, you are right, I should give them away.
    Yes, please, I'll have 'em! ;-)
  • I'm more interested in reading Autobiographies by historical and current Buddhist masters at this time. :)

But, I definitely went through a period of Sutta and Sutra study in a kind of compressed time, during intense practice neglecting most all else except necessities kind of format. :)
  • Hmm, I think reading the Pali canon could be a good next step. In the rest of my life I am a big studier actually. Books everywhere and research on anything that strikes my interest. However there is an overwhelm with Buddhist literature, and choosing which kind of path you are following, and all that. I guess I am seeing this as if I studied Christianity not being raised in it and started with all the books 2 steps away from the Bible. It would be crazy confusing to start off with some beign Catholic and other evangelical. But starting with the basic documents seems more manageable to me.
  • The Pali canon is vast. A lot of it has been translated into English, but certainly not all of it. Reading it will definitely take some time. I'd start with the Sutta Pitaka. The Vinaya Pitaka is mostly rules of conduct for monks and nuns, and the Abhidhamma Pitaka contains some pretty heavy philosophy.
    I'm more interested in reading Autobiographies by historical and current Buddhist masters at this time. :)

But, I definitely went through a period of Sutta and Sutra study in a kind of compressed time, during intense practice neglecting most all else except necessities kind of format. :)
    Who do you suggest?
    Books?
    Masters?
  • Thanks for the help narrowing it down. I am actually thinking about suggesting to my buddhist study group at the UU church that our next book be more direct such as a section of the Pali canon. I don't think i would read much of the rules for monks and nuns, my punk attitude of breaking rules might not work well there as a start, LOL. Some of the only books I have read are by Brad Warner, Hardcore Zen and Sit Down and Shut Up. Love those books! Of course it appeals to me more than materials written during the 60's when I was born (and I know many things are timeless(
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Hi Aheerdt,

Personally, I believe that all of us will need a combination of practice and study. Some of us may want/need to study more, some may want/need to practice more - the "right" amount of study is going to be an individual thing. Discussion can be useful as well, especially if the people we discuss Dhamma with have a good understanding of the Suttas and are well practiced. Also important is reflection - reflect on what you have studied, what others have said (especially those whom you consider to be wise) and also on the practice itself. In my opinion, these things - study, Dhamma discussion, practice and reflection - should be balanced, refined and repeated in order to guide the mind in the right direction.

In the time when the Buddha was around, we could simply ask him to read our minds and tell us what we need to do. Nowadays we are not so fortunate, we must learn to read our own minds. To whatever extent the Suttas or commentaries or modern teachers or spiritual friends help us to understand our own mind - then such words and advice are useful. If study or discussion becomes an obsession and an attachment, then it is not useful.

Even sharing our views with others can become an obstacle and it is something I am wary of as I write this - so I will call it a day for now, just in case.

Metta,

Guy
  • I read when I begin to stray form practice. It inspires me to be mindful again, but I do not read or study a lot. I want to focus on my body/brain connection, not my brain/body connection. I don't know if that makes sense. I guess another way to say it, is that I study when I need advice...usually when I notice I am starting getting frustrated or worried.
  • I'm more interested in reading Autobiographies by historical and current Buddhist masters at this time. :)

Who do you suggest?
    Books?
    Masters?
    @LeonBasin

I'd say start with Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche's "Blazing Splendor". If you actually read that and get through that, it will rock your world, trust me! Then come back to me and I'll recommend some more. ;) We've known each other for a number of years, so I'm sure I'll see you again, as I always seem to anyway. Start there though... definitely!

Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche is a very highly regarded Rinpoche of an entirely different world than we are accustomed to.
  • The most important thing is studying the 'self' which we all do. And we all will continue to do until we die. People do it more than others but we all still do it. Reading books is great, going to sangha nights are great but although they all have loads to teach, they also teach nothing. Only *you* can actually teach yourself. Only you can awaken to the truth. Remember, buddha had no books, didn't agree with his first teachers and set off alone and only then found truth. So my point is we don't *need* to study much in front of books etc etc...but we would benifit if we studied the *self* more!!

We all know the answers deep down. Just ask the heart, search the soul. Listen to others, yet trust few. Walk, don't run. Glide, don't slide....

Most important, enjoy whatever ur doing.

Be well and good luck!

• @LeonBasin

i recommend "Buddhadhamma" by Ven. P. A. Payutto. i also find that bikkhus Thanissaro and Bodhi are quite insightful - they are two of the most prolific modern translators of the pali canon.

@AHeerdt
    Phra Payutto's book is a very astute and well grounded presentation of the "middle way" based on the pali; he is one of the most respected thai scholar monks and does a very good job of giving an overview. it was also written with the purpose of providing a basic guide for study - it might be a good book for your study group.

cheer.