Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why did the First Skandha happen?

edited June 2011 in Philosophy
The Five Skandhas

The five skandhas are ignorance, feeling, impulse and perception, concept, & consciousness. They are how consciousness manifests.

First there is complete Dharma. Clean and pure and eternal with no ego. But then something happens! Form is born from the paranoia that we might not actually exist. From the ignorance of our true nature. But it is not regular ignorance, it is a stubborn ignorance out to prove that we exist. The mandala begins.

It begins to probe... looking for space, creating projections so that we can *feel* *this* against *that*. If my projection exists then I exist! Feeling is born.

The ego now begins to develop. Perception is born now to handle all kinds of ways to deal with our projections. There are three kinds of strategies or *impulses* to handle projections: indifference, passion, & aggression.

Ignorance, feeling, impulse and perception all are instinctive processes. We operate a radar system which senses our territory.

But we cannot complete the ego without an intellect and the ability to conceptualize. We begin to categorize what is happening, naming them. We make it "official". *That* is now a "tree"! And since that over there is a tree then I can exist separate from that.

So concept is the next stage, the fourth skandha, but even this is not quite enough. We need a very active and efficient mechanism to keep the instinctive and intellectual processes of ego coordinated: the last development of ego, the fifth skandha, "consciousness."

Consciousness consists of emotions and irregular thought patterns, all of which taken together form the different fantasy worlds with which we occupy ourselves. These fantasy worlds are referred to in the scriptures as the "six realms".

So there you have it. The complete birth of ego.

My question was... how did it even begin? At what point in our ancient history as beings did we separate ourselves from the Dharma and why? Where we awake before we became paranoid and created ignorance?

In essence, Why did the Dharma itself become 1 (versus 0) and then 2, 3, 4... and in doing so created the whole phenomenal world? Not just beings. At some point the Dharma became ignorant and created the Universe. Is that a stretch?

What caused that little grain of sand to recognize the possibility of becoming an ego in the first place? What?

Good luck! :P

Comments

• It began when beings began clinging to and self-identifying with the skandhas, or even just one of them. The exact time in history is really unknowable, but according to texts like the Agganna Sutta it was an evolutionary process that took quite some time. Beings began delighting in sense experiences and then craving, greed and attachment subsequently entered into the equation. This pretty much kick-started the whole process, as far as I can tell.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank You!
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    @bodhipunk

wikipitaka seems like a nice project, but do all sutras lack the sutra number? (ie: SN 46.3)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    The answer traditionally is that its beginningless.
    First there is complete Dharma. Clean and pure and eternal with no ego. But then something happens! Form is born from the paranoia that we might not actually exist. From the ignorance of our true nature. But it is not regular ignorance, it is a stubborn ignorance out to prove that we exist. The mandala begins.
    You're assuming that first there is complete Dharma and then something happens and the mandala begins. One moment of ignorance is conditioned by a previous moment, a first cause can't be found. Maybe there is an answer but, as far as I know, the Buddha didn't provide it.
  • The Five Skandhas

The five skandhas are ignorance, feeling, impulse and perception, concept, & consciousness. They are how consciousness manifests.

First there is complete Dharma. Clean and pure and eternal with no ego. But then something happens!

[/quote]

There is no first self existent dharma as if it is a first cause of all things, or the singular essence of all things. That's misunderstanding emptiness and inter-dependence. That's also reifying Buddhanature, which is a no no in Buddhism.

[quote]
    My question was... how did it even begin? At what point in our ancient history as beings did we separate ourselves from the Dharma and why? Where we awake before we became paranoid and created ignorance?

In essence, Why did the Dharma itself become 1 (versus 0) and then 2, 3, 4... and in doing so created the whole phenomenal world? Not just beings. At some point the Dharma became ignorant and created the Universe. Is that a stretch?

What caused that little grain of sand to recognize the possibility of becoming an ego in the first place? What?

Good luck! :P
    There are some good answers in this thread already. I'd probably just repeat what has been said in that the Buddha dharma is not a first cause, it's not a self essence that pre-exists everything. The cycle of becoming is without beginning.

Basically, for a Buddha, all the skandhas are experienced as empty and the state of ignorance stops arising from moment to moment due to wisdom, thus there is a transformation in the way the skandhas work for a Buddha. The rest of the skandhas will arise as they have beginningless fuel to keep arising, but it's platform for arising is now wisdom and compassion instead of ignorance and self clinging. ;) So what arose since beginningless cycles of time due to self clinging, as a sentient being, now arises due to self giving, as a Buddha for endless time.
  • After a Buddha undergoes parinibbana, there is no more clinging in relation to the skandhas (khandha-parinibbana) and there is no more further becomming.

@Vincenzi
    No, I don't believe any of them are numbered. However, since it is a Wiki it can be edited. If anyone wishes to take on the arduous task of numbering them, I'm sure it can be done.
  • @bodhipunk

when the translations are complete (or sooner), I'm interested in translating the sutras to italian and spanish.

if they were numbered it will be a little easier, in part because it will be easier to find the reference to the original pali sutra.
  • So are you basically asking why is there samsara? There is no answer to that question. That question will only lead you further away from the right path.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    it happened because i was so ronley. so so ronleyyyy.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    The five skandhas are ignorance, feeling, impulse and perception, concept & consciousness.
    The five skandhas are the physical body, feeling, perception, concept & consciousness. :orange:
    edited July 2011
    First there is complete Dharma. Clean and pure and eternal with no ego.
    Sure, a baby born from the womb is clean & pure... :skeptic:
    The king of the under world cross questions, asks for reasons and studies together with him thus. 'Good man did you not see the first divine messenger among humans?'

He says 'Sir I did not see,'

Then the king of the under world would ask him. `Good man didn't you see a toddler who stands and lies with difficulty, mingled in his own urine and excreta while lying?'

MN 130
    edited July 2011
    Consciousness consists of emotions and irregular thought patterns, all of which taken together form the different fantasy worlds with which we occupy ourselves.
    Consciousness is sense awareness. Mere knowing. Conciousness does not "think". :wow:
    And what is consciousness? These six are classes of consciousness: eye-consciousness, ear-consciousness, nose-consciousness, tongue-consciousness, body-consciousness, mind-consciousness. This is called consciousness.
    edited July 2011
    Where we awake before we became paranoid and created ignorance? At some point the Dharma became ignorant and created the Universe.
    The Dhamma does not assert what you are saying. But thanks for sharing your ideas :mullet:
    A first beginning of ignorance cannot be conceived (of which it can be said): 'Before that, there was no ignorance and it came to be after that.'

AN 10.61
  • Thanks for these vids btw. I didn't even know they had these.
  • After a Buddha undergoes parinibbana, there is no more clinging in relation to the skandhas (khandha-parinibbana) and there is no more further becomming.
    From the Mahayana perspective, there is no more becoming because the mind is free from dualistic views, but a Buddha may still appear for the sake of sentient beings in order to manifest as a conduit of wisdom, in order to influence them towards freedom. Yet, the mind of a Buddha is transcendent of it all, seeing the emptiness of dependent origination directly, always, naturally, becoming is an empty process without a being to cling or anything to cling to, from the ultimate perspective.
  • edited July 2011
    The five skandhas are the physical body, feeling, perception, concept & consciousness. :orange:
    I also noticed that ignorance was listed as a skandha. I know that it is a kilesa and a link of dependant origination, but I wonder if the skandhas are viewed somewhat differently depending on tradition?

Also, didn't AN10.61 go on to say that although a first cause can not be concieved, a specific condition can be conceived? Namely, the five hindrances, three ways of wrong conduct, lack of sense-control, etc.?
    edited July 2011
    AN 10.61 states the condition is "ahara" or "food". ahara keeps ignorance alive or "fat". the five hindrances do not cause or directly condition ignorance but they prevent its cessation by hindering concentration & insight. Regards :)

As for ignorance, it is part of sankhara khandha. However, Buddhas still have khandhas. Khandhas are neutral. For example, what attains enlightenment is sankhara khandha. :)
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited July 2011
    You might as well ask when do babies acquire a sense of self? None of them wake up one morning and say, "Hey, I'm a person! I didn't realize that before. I'm me and you're you."

It's a gradual process of the skandhas all developing into what we are. Form means the baby brain and body still must grow so it can support the mind. Perceptions become more than fuzzy colors and sounds and good and bad taste in the mouth. Memory helps the self identify perceptions and experiences of pain or pleasure, and we learn to avoid pain and seek pleasure.

And an immature self eventually comes into focus and becomes a self, with all the problems and potential that entails.
  • The same goes in Daoism. I've read somewhere about the five spirits or shen, in chinesse, that represent a part of consiousness. The Soul is being born, but for the ego mind to be fully developed, the five shen that reside in the five yin organs of the body (lungs, kidneys, liver, heart, pagreas/splean), need to grow alongside with the body in order for them to mature completely. What the Daoist that works with inner Alchemy (Nei Dan) do with them to overcome their hold on his pure Soul, whell is another story.... :p
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    Questions:

Consciousness is one of the skandhas. How about the subconscience?

Does the Heart Sutra or other teachings of the Buddha talk about the subconscience explicitly? Thanks.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Questions:

Consciousness is one of the skandhas. How about the subconscience?

Does the Heart Sutra or other teachings of the Buddha talk about the subconscience explicitly? Thanks.
    In TB they talk about 3 levels of mind, gross mind, subtle mind, and very subtle mind. I don't think they overlap with the western notion of concious and subconcious minds though. Check out this link to read more.

This question could probably have its own thread imo.
  • @Lostie

the subconscience is western tought... a little naive IMO.

if anything, it should be peripheral and central* conscience.

*were consciousness is most focused.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Dhamma Dhatu, your comment on sankara was really interesting considering that I had read what sankhara meant today. I recommend defining terms which are not in english. I know it gets repetitive but I think people can learn more as such. Probably 15-25 (guess) percent of the people who view this thread know what sankhara means. I try to define my terms when I mention: shenpa, tonglen, sradda, buddha nature, shunyata, etc..