Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I am totally confused...help please

2»

Comments

• Your in a dangerous situation, I suggest you seek help with large established chan/zen teachers and be honest about your experiences.

can you please explain why is it dangerous?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    dangerous because your vision (like a dream game) overconcretization and thats a distortion of the spaciousness of mind? Anyways thats what I have been pondering not in relation to you but in relation to me..

I think NotA might have some quick fixes (that is ubiquitous on internet sanghas and not a fault of NotA but the medium) to you but its not bad advice to seek advice from established teacher. They may have had other students that they can relate to you and might have a powerful realization which allows them to unwind your question into clarity and insight.
  • dangerous because your vision (like a dream game) overconcretization and thats a distortion of the spaciousness of mind? Anyways thats what I have been pondering not in relation to you but in relation to me..

I think NotA might have some quick fixes (that is ubiquitous on internet sanghas and not a fault of NotA but the medium) to you but its not bad advice to seek advice from established teacher. They may have had other students that they can relate to you and might have a powerful realization which allows them to unwind your question into clarity and insight.
    What do you experience during your meditation? Do you see stars? blue skies with clouds?
    Because my meditation, for the most part, ends with metaphysical experience , I am now curious what you guys experience? I thought all things that I see are very common during meditation! Obviously not!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    why do you say it is metaphysical? I hear voices and I don't think they are angels. They emanate from mind.
  • why do you say it is metaphysical? I hear voices and I don't think they are angels. They emanate from mind.
    what else do you experience other than hearing voices?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    reading meanings from experience stitched together into truths.. theres a compeling energy to these experiences, but my mind becomes agitated and focused on pointless activity.

the read meanings are like davinci codes.. rapid cycling delusions rather than persistent delusions.. persistent delusions or theories to understand this mentation such as that my chakras are broken, I am psychic, kundalini, persecuted by other psychics, etc.
  • reading meanings from experience stitched together into truths.. theres a compeling energy to these experiences, but my mind becomes agitated and focused on pointless activity.

the read meanings are like davinci codes.. rapid cycling delusions rather than persistent delusions.. persistent delusions or theories to understand this mentation such as that my chakras are broken, I am psychic, kundalini, persecuted by other psychics, etc.
    yes but then how do you know you are progressing? how do you know you are cleaning your subconsiousness?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    just do the practice.. how do you clean your house? you do the practice.. as it progresses you see the difference.. you don't have to have a definition of what is clean and what is dirty
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    "you" don't clean anything.

keep surrendering into what is. that is the only method. a method of radical acceptance of what is.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    "Everybody possesses the unconditioned possibility of cheerfullness, which is not connected purely with either pain or pleasure. You have an inclination: in the flash of one second, you feel what needs to be done. It is not the product of your educatin; it is not scientific or logical; you simply pick up on the message. And then you act: you just do it. That basic human quality of suddenly opening up is the best part of human instinct. You know what to do right away, on the spot which is fantastic. That is what we call the dot of basic goodness and unconditional instinct. You don't think: you just feel, on the spot. Basic trust si knowing that there is such a thing as that spark of basic goodness. Although you might be in the worst of the worst shape, still taht goodness does exist."

~Trungpa Rinpoche

• @jeffrey @taiyaki
    Can you really surrender if you meet your biggest fears? Does your meditation help you face your biggest fears?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    yes it helps but there is some quaking and groaning and trembling as you face them.. and closing off always produces suffering which is itself poignant though claustrophobic
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    letting go letting be seeing space.. it helps to talk about things
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    fear arises from ignorance. with mindfulness penetrate fear and see it for what it is. just grasping at thin air. fear is nothing but our projection/clinging. when we see clearly we see that everything arises and falls.

one must awaken from their mind, thus attaining wisdom. one must also awaken from their heart, thus attain compassion.

all negative states/emotions should be looked at their the eyes of wisdom and then be transformed into compassion for yourself and others. this is done through a radical unconditional acceptance of what is and by seeing clearly into the working of the mind and reality.

all it takes is a radical honesty, openness, and sincerity to examine your mind and your experience. a willingness to throw yourself into the unknown and to question all of your assumptions. remember there is nothing to get rid of, just transform through seeing it for what it is, rather then seeing it from our limited conditional projections from our dualistic mind.

freedom is here right now. where else would it be?
  • letting go letting be seeing space.. it helps to talk about things
    can you explain what you mean by seeing space?
    I do see space but I mean literally, skies and stars etc...Is that what you mean by space?
  • fear arises from ignorance. with mindfulness penetrate fear and see it for what it is. just grasping at thin air. fear is nothing but our projection/clinging. when we see clearly we see that everything arises and falls.

one must awaken from their mind, thus attaining wisdom. one must also awaken from their heart, thus attain compassion.

all negative states/emotions should be looked at their the eyes of wisdom and then be transformed into compassion for yourself and others. this is done through a radical unconditional acceptance of what is and by seeing clearly into the working of the mind and reality.

all it takes is a radical honesty, openness, and sincerity to examine your mind and your experience. a willingness to throw yourself into the unknown and to question all of your assumptions. remember there is nothing to get rid of, just transform through seeing it for what it is, rather then seeing it from our limited conditional projections from our dualistic mind.

freedom is here right now. where else would it be?
    Taiyaki, if you face with a crazy barking dog in the middle of the night, what would you do? You run...May I ask why do you run?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    like you feel that the argument is unbearable between two people and then you air it out and lighten up. Thats seeing the space. You feel a voice while you are with your family and so frustrating then you just see it is ok like a cloudbreak.. its fleeting because space means discontinuity so you can't ride any ah ha moment into eternity but its always going to come back to you.. its always going to bubble up.. opening is opening to things as they are.. then the clarity and feeling comes back up.. part of the opening is believing in a sense of resting in experience and trusting it

you can rely on the triple gem but since the triple gem is here and now it is also trusting experience as it is
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited July 2011
    because conditionally i was raised with the projection of fear of dogs from my mother.
    i actually have been working on this.

fear does arises within my being when i am near dogs. but i watch that fear. it is merely a thought then sensation in the body that arises and falls. it is merely objects in the field of my awareness.

i run because my biology is wired for me to survive and ultimately it comes down to the fear of death, which in essence isn't biological but psychological.

but with mindfulness i can just watch. do i run? maybe. or do i stay calm and just watch my insides and what is going on.

IT IS THROUGH that watching that wisdom arises. I DONT have to react. i can respond. i can act with complete consciousness. rather than succumbing to my unconditioned reactions. such is the power of non dual awareness.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    thats exactly what I do with the voices.. I just breath and freeze to a certain extent.. when I listen to the voices but have my own feeling they are helpful.. when I do whatever the voices say its like everything I do is wrong so I just disobey and say fuck it and laugh
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    we have eternity to purify
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    yeah and we all have the infinite potentiality. we can condition ourselves with wholesome states of mind by actively engaging in positive interactions, vice versa. with morality we gain concentration and mindfulness.

which eventually will lead to insight and wisdom. from there we integrate what we learn with the whole human experience.
  • thats exactly what I do with the voices.. I just breath and freeze to a certain extent.. when I listen to the voices but have my own feeling they are helpful.. when I do whatever the voices say its like everything I do is wrong so I just disobey and say fuck it and laugh
    Anything scares you other than voices? So obviously you pass this test...
    Or let me rephrase, did you encounter any other things during meditation that cause you extreme fear?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    fear is normal during meditation. you're basically opening up a fucking hole of emotions.

when you allow fear and you watch it, even though its hell then the fear will go away on its own.

yes it sucks but thats what meditation brings.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    this is actually not during meditation.. I have seen scary things, but its just not odd things its perception that people can hurt me with psychic powers. Is the burger king flame broiled commercial scary? It is when you think thats a sign that you are going to hell and you are on a bad trip from schizophrenia. Otherwise its just a boring commercial. Or it could make you hungry. It depends on projections and struggling with experience. Fear can be sharp and you can be letting it run through your body like electric current. When you resist it its painful, but it is not wrong to take a breath and say its going to be ok. You don't have to let the fear run totally wild to be a warrior but you do have to experience it fully in your own way.
  • @taiyaki @jeffrey

thank you friends...you made me realize something...I created tension from my own meditation experience. Tension is the enemy of a calm and abiding mind.
    I have to let go off my worries...Yes, whatever happens during meditation, I should embrace it and surrounder myself no matter how scary the experience is...
    This tension is not helping at all! And I should do that with full compassion to my self and to all sentinent beings...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    sounds good
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    yup all in your hands! work on yourself and automatically you're helping others.

wish you the best man.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited July 2011
    And hope that the right time would come and I would ask my questions.
    That is exactly what Dokusan interviews are for. :)
    Right now, , if I talk about these experiences they will either think that I am a liar or I have too much pride, just like you assumed. So I shut up!
    A good teacher would never do that. If you want to speak with an actual Zen teacher, one who has actually received "dharma transmission", www.zenforuminternational.org has several that you can freely speak with. They even have an "Ask a teacher" section of the forum. :)

• ToshTosh Veteran
    sometimes seeing the future clearly, glimpse of awakening experience etc etc.
    See the winning Lotto numbers and whole-heartedly embrace Samsara?

(Only joking)

• sometimes seeing the future clearly, glimpse of awakening experience etc etc.
    See the winning Lotto numbers and whole-heartedly embrace Samsara?

(Only joking)

:) no it doesn't work that way! I can't control this. All these stuff happens randomly. There are things that I can control but mostly they are random experiences.
    I read somewhere that these gifts are only granted based on your personal development. A person who cares with lottery will not have the ability to see the future. Cosmos has its own way of sorting things out.
    Working on perfect ethics will clear all these samsaric desires and eventually you maybe granted some supernatural powers, although there is no such thing as supernatural, it is only our mixed up understanding of reality.
  • edited July 2011
    Hi Zen_World!

I think the best is that you contact a good teacher to ask about your practice. I know that tibetan buddhism deals with more strange kind of meditations than zen. Maybe it is better that you ask a tibetan buddhist master about it. They talk about different realms, bliss states, kundalini and other powers you can train.

My meditation is focusing about the breath and than training choiceless awareness. I have had weird kind of experiences before in meditation. Not a OBE but I felt a lot of energy and felt peoples feelings very much. I could sense spirits also. But that was before my breathing meditation practice. Now I don´t have those kind of experiences so much. I think it will pass maybe for you too if you just practising being here and now. These experiences can be seductive in a manner so you cling and crave for them. Then they will create suffering instead. Just try to be mindful of them.

Buddhism is about here an now, wisdom and compassion.

But my best advice is that you contact a tibetan buddhist master and ask about them.