Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A secular humanist view on Buddhism

B5CB5C Veteran
edited July 2011 in Buddhism Today
"One secular humanist’s Buddhist practices

The Dalai Lama, who is in Washington, D.C., for a ten day event, has written: “I have come to the conclusion that whether or not a person is a religious believer does not matter much. Far more important is that they be a good human being.”. . . “That is why I sometimes say that religion is something we can perhaps do without.”It seems many in the West agree with the spiritual leader, as millions report that they incorporate Buddhist practices such as meditation or mindfulness into their own spiritual activities without necessarily adopting Buddhism as their religion.Does religion aid or hinder the spiritual journey? Can you practice Buddhism without becoming Buddhist?
As a secular humanist, I believe we can gain knowledge of the world through observation, experimentation, reading, and critical thinking. I believe that ethical values are derived from human needs and interests, and are tested and refined by experience. I believe that our deeds are more important than our creeds, and that dogmas should never override compassion for others. I don’t think we should give credit to a deity for our accomplishments or blame satanic forces when we behave badly. I believe we should take responsibility for our actions.
I think the Dalai Lama would agree with everything I just said. I applaud him for saying we can do without religion, and that whether a person is a religious believer is not as important as whether the person is a good human being. I also agree with the Dalai Lama when he says, “If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.”
Practicing parts of Buddhism certainly doesn’t make me a Buddhist. I probably “practice” parts of most religions, the portions I consider reasonable and consistent with my secular humanism. This means, of course, that I reject almost all beliefs and practices in most religions. My patriotic Fourth of July celebration included reading the rather short Jefferson Bible. Thomas Jefferson used a razor to cut out the supernatural parts of the New Testament and other passages he thought were morally wrong. Jefferson called what remained, “Diamonds in a dunghill.” I recommend reading all books skeptically and looking for whatever diamonds or pearls of wisdom they may contain.
I expect meditation helps many people relax and gain insights. I tried it, and found that going on a long run in the woods works better for me. Back in 1970, I took a yoga class to become more relaxed and flexible. Our teacher told us about a weekend yoga retreat, which I attended. In addition to yoga, we were introduced to reincarnation. Whether in Buddhism or any other religion, reincarnation is not one of my diamonds. A retreat leader regressed several participants to “past lives.” After the session, I talked to a couple of the regressed who believed their past life experiences were real. Otherwise, they seemed normal, which made me question the meaning of “normal.” More than 40 years later, I’m still questioning “normal.”
The Dalai Lama and I differ significantly on a central tenet of Tibetan Buddhism, that he (born Lhamo Dondrub) was reincarnated to become the 14th Dalai Lama. I believe that neither he nor I have past lives or that we will have future lives. Nevertheless, if all religious believers showed as much compassion as the Dalai Lama does to those of different faiths and none, we would have a far more peaceful world.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/on-faith/post/one-secular-humanists-buddhist-practices/2011/07/06/gIQAPQ2Z0H_blog.html
"

I guess atheists and secularists are the few only people that Buddhism can accept as good allies.

Comments

• Buddhism can accept many as good allies... the problematic religions have been the abrahmic ones, because of the "holy war" idea and overall intolerance.
  • "One secular humanist’s Buddhist practices
    The Dalai Lama, who is in Washington, D.C., for a ten day event, has written: “.....that dogmas should never override compassion for others. I don’t think we should give credit to a deity for our accomplishments or blame satanic forces when we behave badly. I believe we should take responsibility for our actions.
    This is awesome and the fundamental bridge of living beings or secular humanist’s and its happiness. The war and disasters basically arises from non-compassionate well beings. :thumbsup:
  • I really like what HHDL said. The other day I was having a conversation with an atheist friend of mine and I said the same thing. I told him it doesn't matter to have religion but it is important to be spiritual and have good ethical values.
    Follow your hearth and the path will open to you...
    But I personally find comfort in Buddhism, it just fits well with my values and teaches me a lot things at the same time helps me improve my spiritually.
  • jlljll Veteran
    A secular humanist who does not practise meditation cant escape samsara.
  • A secular humanist who does not practise meditation cant escape samsara.
    I think their aim is to make the best of a bad job. ;-)

Spiny
  • I expect meditation helps many people relax and gain insights. I tried it, and found that going on a long run in the woods works better for me.
    Meditation can certainly be relaxing, but this is not it's purpose on the path. It is used for cultivating Right Concentration.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited July 2011
    The American humorist Will Rogers once observed, "There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

There are all kinds of ways to try to talk the essence of Buddhism into submission. Lots of texts, lots of wisdom, lots of temples, lots of gurus in pretty spiffy clothes. All very nice things, perhaps. But the fact is, most people have personally peed on one electric fence or another and the experience was enough to convince them it was unpleasant. Ouch!

Without some kind of format (what I would call the necessary lie), people flounder. They may bloviate, but they are still floundering -- seeking an actualized peace in their own pee-on-the-electric-fence lives. But you can't talk peace or actualization into submission -- with religion, with secular humanism, with mix-'n'-match ecumenism, with atheism, with ... anything at all. Somehow, everyone simply has to do the work, assuming they are serious in their quest. Pick a fabrication and get to the bottom of it. Of course, we won't call it a fabrication ... let's call it Buddhism or religion or secular humanism or atheism or something that suits someone's taste. Buddhism, not-Buddhism ... pick your poison.

Somehow the work needs to be done for any indubitable experience to express itself. Short of doing that work ... well, I guess we've all peed on the electric fence before and there's no reason we can't do it again.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    What do you think 'the work' is gengkaku?
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    What do you think 'the work' is gengkaku?
    To lay doubts to rest. To stop looking over our shoulders. To be attentive and responsible and at peace.

Something like that?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Yes that would be awesome. But anything that can help us with that is valuable. If we get glazed over with our buddhists views and gadgets... I think that is what you are saying... the electric fence doesn't let us off the hook and we have to find the true letting go.

Once we let go we don't have to do anything. The grass is already green and the earth is good.

That doesn't mean that the dishes do themselves from that point. yadda yadda...glaze glaze LET (go)

• Dalai Lama has become a "larger than life" popular icon that people see him like the pope of Buddhism.... they even can seem to "forgive" his previous incarnation's cultural genocide on other sects and many other wrong doings.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Well he is not my pope, but as a human. He has my respects. Also recent years have a shown of improvement.
  • edited July 2011
    "Practicing parts of Buddhism certainly doesn’t make me a Buddhist.
    Okay, so what part of Buddhism is it that you choose not to practice that makes you not a Buddhist? "Past lives" as you talk about them certainly aren't a universal Buddhist belief. Are you frightened of a label? Is the "me" in your beliefs paramount? I guess that would make you not a Buddhist.
  • "isms" are always conventional. But some errors are better than others.