Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

It's better not to take advice from this forum.

edited July 2011 in Buddhism Basics
If your new to Buddhism, please don't ask this or other internet forums for advice. YOu'll just become more confused and egotistical. And non of your bad habits will go away. It's better to learn from websites by established temples and even better, be paitient and learn from centers with all qualified sangha. Otherwise you will end being more foolish than athiests.

Comments

• I don't think a lot of people will share your opinion, but you're certainly entitled to it. What makes "them" better than "us"? We're all just people, after all. Nobody's perfect, at least nobody I've ever met.

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    at least on the internet, the "qualified teachers" will not sexually & financially exploit you

:zombie:
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    at least on the internet, the "qualified teachers" will not sexually & financially exploit you

:zombie:
    Lol!
    Are you leaving us NOTaGangsta?
    I think advice is like anything like, it's just that. Take what you want and leave the rest. Remember that people have a lot of opinions and just go with it.
  • Like with anything...Take caution and experience it before believing in it :)
  • A bit overstated, but not altogether bad advice. I agree with this part at least:
    "It's better to learn from websites by established temples and even better, be paitient and learn from centers with all qualified sangha."

And what I would like to add is in regard to "Buddhism for Beginners" and the statement "No question is too basic here". There really does need to be at least an understanding of the fundamental ideas before beginning to ask questions.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Are you leaving us NOTaGangsta?
    NOTaGangsta seems like the typical intolerant religious fundamentalist found in any religion :orange:
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Obviously I disagree with his overall point, but I do agree that a forum is no replacement for a great teacher and Sangha, as has been discussed here repeatedly over the years. Unfortunately great teachers are not bountiful.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    edited July 2011
    I have to disagree, I've received some excellent advice and guidance behind the scenes from folks of this forum and have been linked to meditation instruction sites that stood me in far better stead than the lay Sangha I attended. I can think of a couple of posters here from various schools whose scholarship is pretty damned good. (You know who you are). Right now my life is in a bit of a state of flux but when it settles down I'll start looking for an offline Sangha again and when I'm (hopefully) a bit more learned I'll be happy to come here and discuss what I have learned with others.
  • I don't know... "established" seems more about dogma and indoctrination.
    I think the key thing is to always be discerning about the advice you accept, no matter the source.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    I think the key thing is to always be discerning about the advice you accept, no matter the source.

:thumbsup:
  • If you look outside yourself for answers to what bothers you within, you will fail to find them every time. The buddha's own choice to "tough it out" and seek the answers within should be advice enough.
  • Each piece of advice must be weighed against every other piece; and then, each weighed piece of advice must be weighed against each weighting; after that, each weighting will be weighted against the pre-established counted and official weights, and then beckoned to from the weight-master who weights the most countable weights; and then, when all the weights are weighed, the weightlessness has to be weighed; and when the weightlessness is weighed, then the weights must be re-weighed and the weighers need to be weighed by the weigher weighs, and the weights will be re-stocked and weighed once the weigh of the weigh is weighed and un-weighed, all in due course
  • So naturally the weighs must be re-assigned to their well-weighed weighs; and then the weigh of the weigh will surely determine the weigh, if that is to be the weigh
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    whoa man thats heavy!
  • If your new to Buddhism, please don't ask this or other internet forums for advice. YOu'll just become more confused and egotistical. And non of your bad habits will go away. It's better to learn from websites by established temples and even better, be paitient and learn from centers with all qualified sangha. Otherwise you will end being more foolish than athiests.
    Does that include not taking your advice?
    Does that include not taking your advice?
    Hey-o! :lol:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think you raise a good point. We have to inspect knowledge of the dharma critically.

"Helping others is a question of being genuine and projecting that genuineness to others. This way of being doesn't have to have a title or a name particularly. It is just being ultimately decent. Take the example of the Buddha himself-- he wasn't a buddhist."

Trungpa Rinpoche

• NOTaGangsta seems like the typical intolerant religious fundamentalist found in any religion :orange:
    The pot calling the kettle black, perhaps?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

NOTaGangsta seems like the typical intolerant religious fundamentalist found in any religion :orange:
    The pot calling the kettle black, perhaps?
    First, DD -- I think that NOTaGangsta would be surprised to hear himself so described. And, I'm not sure he's intolerant...but I would agree that the way he states his views he's quite...I'm trying to be gentle here...firm and unflinching.

CW -- gentle, gentle.

;)
  • roger, vinlyn. :D
    Actually, I thought N-a-G made a good point. I'd only qualify it by saying: it depends on what kind of advice someone needs. And on who is giving the advice. We've had members asking for medical or mental health advice. This is not the right place for that. And I can't disagree that a sangha, if you can find a good one, is the best place to ask questions. I think that if someone can find a sangha that will help "make your bad habits go away", that would be a rare and precious find. Maybe N-a-G has been fortunate that way.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    I think that if someone can find a sangha that will help "make your bad habits go away", that would be a rare and precious find. Maybe N-a-G has been fortunate that way.
    Unfortune usually drives aversion, maybe you have motive backwards? I agree a teacher is a jewel, but I have also seen a great deal of sage advice on message boards. Everything from replacing a thermal switch on an electric dryer to someone spotting symptoms of vitamin deficiency.

Why renounce good advice?
  • I've seen some bad advice on this forum. Like I said, it depends on the topic, and on who is participating on the board at the time. It's really only been since the New Year that the forum has been fielding so may advice requests. This topic has come up before: about whether this is a good place for advice, Buddhist or otherwise. I don't think we should get down on N-a-G for reiterating what others have said before.
  • If your new to Buddhism, please don't ask this or other internet forums for advice. YOu'll just become more confused and egotistical. And non of your bad habits will go away. It's better to learn from websites by established temples and even better, be paitient and learn from centers with all qualified sangha. Otherwise you will end being more foolish than athiests.
    wow,that seems a bit of a generalization... may I ask, why do you participate to this forum?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    If one were to "not take advice" from this forum, there would be little point to the forum. Better to say "take everything with a grain of salt", in other words let the words of others be tested in your own experience, than to "not take" them outright. This goes for even the most accomplished teacher you may ever meet.
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    This forum is like a well in the middle of a village. Each member of the Sangha need only draw as much water as is needed for the moment. Any excess will only add weight to his burden.

Be wise in your choosing

Namaste
  • Otherwise you will end being more foolish than athiests.
    More foolish than an athiest?! God forbid!!

Spiny
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    The whole thrust of Buddhism is you should take nothing on trust, but test all advice against your own experience. That applies wherever the advice comes from.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    There are lots of views but it is always better to approach a centre and a qualified teacher to answer questions, forums can be a good learning experience and teach one how to interact with others in an appropriate manner and they can also help one become skilled in debate or reconcile views of various teachings.
    This is perhapes one of the nicer forums i have come across but there is a mixture of alot of wrong views and new age concepts confused with Buddhist thought.
    So visiting a centre is always a good option. :)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It is always pretty much the same: If everyone is a liar, then finding the truth is entirely up to you; if everyone is telling the truth, the truth is still entirely up to you.

"Authentic" or "inauthentic" -- still, it's up to you. You can knock yourself out with praise and blame, analysis and belief ... the facts don't mind: Your life -- all yours.
  • jlljll Veteran
    Its ok to take advice from me. I am wise & reasonable.
    says who? says me, of course.
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    I mean... How seriously can you take a religious forum? Of all the things to be opinionated about, religion is one of the strongest opinions a person can have.

I wonder what you mean about bad habits though. I didn't come here looking to stop bad habits. I came here to learn a little bit about Buddhism through the eyes of others. So far, I have gotten what I came for.
  • This is one of the benefits of understanding and adhering to the Kalama Principles: all advice is initially treated equally - whether it is from some chump like me on an internet forum, or from a level 20 superstar Buddhist in the world's best Buddhist Center.
  • reminds me of a zen koan:

Every day Zuigan used to call out to himself, “Master!” and then he answered himself, “Yes, Sir!” And he added, “Awake, Awake!” and then answered, “Yes, Sir! Yes, Sir!”
    “From now onwards, do not be deceived by others!” “No, Sir! I will not, Sir!”
    http://www.101zenstories.org/zuigan-calls-himself-master/

In total agreement with the OP and inclined to take his advice - and not take his advice......

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    In view of the considered and thoughtful responses given, I'll be interested to see N-a-G's reply....
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    you know, i don't want to step on any toes here, but i would go as far to say that it was from the information i gained from another buddhist forum (e-sangha, when it existed) that made me realize that the path i was on was not the path for me. forums are a rather easy way to talk to other people with similar interests who you might have difficulty meeting in the real world.

i feel like i've learned a lot more from this forum than from my old sangha. at that point, they had been my only experience with buddhism and they were very encouraging of questions in the beginning, but as time went on, i guess they felt that i had gotten to a point where i wasn't supposed to ask questions anymore. their replies came almost irritatedly at times, as if to say, "why haven't you figured this out yet?" but my questions didn't revolve around logic, rather, i was struggling with belief and faith, which they just seemed to take for granted. when stuck within a group mentality, it can be very comforting to find any sort of people who ask the same questions as you do so you can appropriately realize it's "them" not "you"
  • I like this forum....it is my sangha...
  • Taking everything with a grain of salt, and independent critical thinking is important for anyone on a forum or in a sangha. It best to challenge yourself when you begin to place others on a pedestal no matter who they are.