Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is the beating of the heart?

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
edited July 2011 in Meditation
Cessation and Arising, it is the breath.

What is the beating of the heart?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    love.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    It's just this life. You expected something else?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    its a clock ticking.. no I have no idea
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    The pushing and pulling, squeezing and flowing of our body's life through nature. Or a muscle in the chest etc.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    lol breathing and the beating of the heart. it's all automatic.

isn't that a fucking miracle?
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    love.
    hahahahaha

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    It's just this life. You expected something else?
    :D
  • Well I can tell you this. Electro-conductivity starts in the SA node, moves through the left atrium causing the atria to contract, then travels through the AV node and then Bundle of His, then into the Purkinjie fibers where it causes the ventricle muscles to contract. This is assuming that your electrolytes are normal and you are not having a heart attack. If you wanna know about depolarization, repolarization, potassium and calcium channels, or any of those P or T waves... well dangit I don't remember anything about them anymore. Just appreciate the fact that a very complex process occurs, very quickly, everyday... over and over again, and keeps you alive, lol.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    gotta love Purkinjie fibers
    Well I can tell you this...[science jargon]
    Thanks for all the new vocab words :D

Do you know of any online models that show how the heart works? It seems like an interesting action.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2011
    Theres no romance in the video :( Need more poetry.
  • LOL I just grabbed the first youtube video I saw.

• forward to 38 seconds...there you get your answer...
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    hahaha :)
    2:21

"does all of us really 'ave bones or is it just what the medjia want us to believe?"

"you all have bones."

"we know this is a generalization, but why is all skeletons involved in evil stuff?"

"that's just... skeletons are the last thing to disappear."

later

"def, d-e-f, i was talkin' about the thing that 'appens to you, you know, a few weeks after you was alive"

"yeah, you don't spell it that way though, it's d-e-a-t-h."

"so what is the chances that me will eventually die?"

"that you will die? 100%."

later still

"you will eventually find your home"

• "you will eventually find your home"
    wrong?

bahahaha
  • Seriously.....I have asked several meditation teachers about what I experience. When I begin to sit, my heart beat and/ or pulse seem to get my attention first. If I focus on The pilse or beat or echo (sounds or bodily sensations) I find this so much more effective than focusing on my breath. I suspect that part of the reason I am very heart/ pulse conscious is that I experienced a pretty serious cardiac event many years ago, had to have a procedure, and am monitored regularly. In fact, I was referred to MBSR to help deal with stress, including the strss of dealing with a cardiac event :-) And moved onto Vipassana. Does anyone have the same experience or know of some interesting techniques or tools that use heartbeat or pulse as a focal point (not metta....just as a focus)
    Ellen from Jerusalem
    edited August 2011
    @Ellen: Recently I was rading about anapanasati and meditation in general in "Now is the Knowing" - Ajahn Sumedho.
    [Available at http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/now_know.pdf and other places]

Very early on he mentions that in watching breath one can watch Inhalations and Exhalations, and one can see the Beginning, Middle, and End of an inhalation, and again see the same in an exhalation.

In my understanding, it is sorta split into two "parts" of observation, which is great with breathing because there in an intake phase and then an "extake" so-to-speak, but both have the same arising/ceasing characteristics.

Considering that, I think that watching your heartbeat or pulse could be harnessed to the same effect. A heartbeat seems like a singular, unidirectional Pulse of energy, but really it also has a rise and fall.