Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does smoking tobacco in a pipe violate the fifth precept?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited August 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Please discuss here.

Comments

• I don't know the pipe but smoking cigarettes doesn't violate the precept. I ask this to my lama and she said that's ok! She said there are many monks who smoke. But she didn't recommend it tho:) obviously its an attachment!
  • I tend to agree there is an order of magnitude difference between tobacco and alcohol. Tobacco doesn't alter the mind enough to lose judgement or motor skills and the duration is quite short.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Ask your body, and listen to what your body has to say about it.
  • I tend to agree there is an order of magnitude difference between tobacco and alcohol. Tobacco doesn't alter the mind enough to lose judgement or motor skills and the duration is quite short.
    Yeah but alcahol in moderation is less harmful than smoking.

Smoking is against life and its a treat to other people wich make it also a wepoan.
  • Didnt expected buddhist or monks to smoke... Especially when they know so much about desire and attachment.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Didnt expected buddhist or monks to smoke... Especially when they know so much about desire and attachment.
    Buddhists, even Buddhist monks, are still people.
  • True that. I grew up next to a Korean temple, and the monks all smoked. Hell, they all drove too! One drove a Jaguar!
  • it is a slow suicide... do the math.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2011
    I'd put smoking tobacco on the same level as enjoying sugary treats. It's not done to befuddle the mind, but out of enjoyment/desire (which becomes an addiction, but isn't eating certain food-types you like also a subtle addiction?). It's not good for your health but neither is it intoxicating.

Both lead to health problems in the future, but it's not in the spirit of the precepts at all. If anything, it would only be against monastic discipline. Many lay Buddhists would be in trouble if anything they found enjoyable, despite health risks, were off-limits. ;)
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    second (air) and third (solid objects) hand smoke... that's slowly damaging health, which can slowly kill.
  • In a word - NO!
  • I read that ajahn chah enjoyed smoking.
  • People always want to get around the facts . The fact of the teaching is that any attachment to anything is wrong . If you develop a habit for it then you are no longer considered living the right way . Be smart about this . These vices were created so that you lean on them rather then be independent and free from them . Use your mind not the physical worldly desires they only last a short time and shorten your life even shorter . Do not follow the teacher and what the teacher does but follow the teaching and release the addiction for the addictions turn into afflictions and never ending pool of desire ultimately turning into your prison. Be aware of what you think be also aware of what you put into your body . Excuses are a form of attachment . Don't start making them for you will use this in everything that you do so you can keep doing your addiction . FREE YOUR SELF DON'T ENSLAVE YOUR SELF . for that prison will become your resting place forever.
  • In his book about ajahn chah, 'venerable father, a life with ajahn chah'
    paul breiter said ajahn chah smoked cigarettes in new york.
    IMO, smoking a cigarette for a person like ajahn chah is just that.
    nothing more, nothing less.
    reminds me of a zen master on his death bed.
    his disciples were straining to hear his last words.
    finally they managed to make out what he said.
    he wanted cream cake.
    after taking a bite, he mumbled something before he died.
    his last words...... 'delicious......'
  • @hermitwin I enjoyed your old zen master story. I want to die eating cake :).

I don't smoke tobacco so if I do, I am definitely intoxicated. The same thing happens to be me when I drink coffee. Drinking coffee and then trying to meditate is more difficult than if I am high. I think the precept was left vague for a reason... we are all different. :)