Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Book Discussion

I'm sure one or two of you already have something planned, and if I missed a reference to it I apologize, but I wondered if there was a new book discussion proposal?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    The Faraway magic tree' would probably suit me.....

Actually, I had proposed, a long time ago, discussing Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"... But that was then... ( :lol: )

I don't mind... what would you like to propose?
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    The Faraway magic tree' would probably suit me.....

Actually, I had proposed, a long time ago, discussing Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now"... But that was then... ( :lol: )

I don't mind... what would you like to propose?

I love Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now! I also have the CD set based on the book, called "The Realization of Being." Have you ever listened to those? ilikeit5pa.png
  • edited February 2006
    "Hardcore Zen" as I've already read it !
  • edited February 2006
    I'd certainly second the hardcore Zen proposal.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    How about You Are The Eyes of the World which is a translation of Longchenpa's Commentary on the Jewel Ship?
  • edited February 2006
    Whatever gets decided...I may need some time to get the book and read it. Can you develop a list of titles and the dates that the discussion may start?
  • edited February 2006
    For myself, I'm certainly open to that.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I'm open to anything.

Unfortunately, I'm reading some very Un-Buddhist books right now that have sucked me in and I'm having a hard time participating with the current book review that is going. I find that when I only read a chapter a week - or have to re-read to participate - I become a lazy mo-fo.

Maybe we could do a Harold Robbins book?

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    If it mentions Rhodesia and avoides the obligatory naked woman under a watefall 5 page description, yes.
  • edited February 2006
    harlan wrote:
    Whatever gets decided...I may need some time to get the book and read it. Can you develop a list of titles and the dates that the discussion may start?

Harlan, not meaning to be indelicate here, but as someone of limited funds myself, if it's a question of costs, I get bulk orders for the Ebay store now and then, and can include a copy of some books if I can get them discounted. The 'You are the Eyes' book I wouldn't be able to get at a big enough discount, but if another is chosen, I might be able to get you a low priced copy. Of course it might simply be that books take time to order and to arrive, in which case what I've said is irrelevant but the idea of allowing some time to get hold of a book is a good one. I haven't been here for the start of a book discussion so I'm assuming you guys have some sort of procedure already in place for that that addresses this last point.
    edited February 2006
    ... and avoides the obligatory naked woman under a watefall 5 page description, yes.

Screw it.

I'm out.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Price IS a consideration, but so is time - I am still getting through the first book, and HH the Dalai Lama's book and trying to go to work sometimes.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Price is definitely a consideration.....

I think what I will do is compile a list from the 'Recommended Reading Thread', include the books you have listed here (except the Harold Robbins - Sorry, BF!) and post it here for a vote.

If we have the books, all well and good.
    if not, then join in when the discussion becomes suitable.
    But try to not go off topic... in a specific discussion, it's distracting...

OK?

Watch this space..... ;)
  • edited February 2006
    I am in!!!:buck:
    edited February 2006
    "The Miracle of Mindfulness" Thich Nhat Hanh,

the trilogy by Lama Surya Das "Awakening the Buddha within", "Awakening the Sacred" and Awakening the Buddhist Heart".

"The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche

"The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle.

After the Ecstasy, the Laundry" By Jack Kornfield

'The Good Heart'. The dalai lama

Buddhism: Plain and Simple by Steven Hagen

"Zen Mind Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki

More to follow.....
  • edited February 2006
    Well that's easy then.
    edited February 2006
    I think I would cast my vote for the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying.

I'm under the impression (whether right or wrong) that this is a very old book and is used in the basis and reference of many Buddhist teachings? That it has some sort of long history in Buddhism?

This might be a good one for those of us who haven't delved into some of the deeper teachings of various Buddhist beliefs.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    You might be thinking of the Tibetan Book of the Dead. The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying is by Sogyal Rinpoche and is based around the Book of the Dead.
    edited February 2006
    Oh, I second that... it's over ten years old, but still has as much impact for me as it did when i first bought it. So it gets my vote too....
    edited February 2006
    That must be it ZM.

Do you think this would be a good one for us to go over as a group? I've never read it - and would probably need some help from others to see various interpretations.

Whatcha think, Freddie?

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Me too!
    I have read and am reading Lama Surya Das' books. They are fanastic!
    Personally, I would like to delve into more deeper teachings and have everyone to discuss it with.
    edited February 2006
    I'm talking about the Sogyal Rinpoche book: 'The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying', for discussion... We could do the Tibetan Book of the Dead, but I'd need a few days to get it out of storage.....!!
    edited February 2006
    I now realize you were talking about a different book than I was initially referencing.

But, I was just throwing out the opinion that maybe we should do an older book - one that many newbies have heard referenced, but have never taken the time (or had the guts) to tackle.

I'm wondering if reading an older reference from a different time might shed some additional light to people, myself included. Instead of reading "new age" interpretations of something as old as Buddhism. No offense, TNH...

-bf
    edited February 2006
    ....So....
    Which book of the two do you mean....?
  • edited February 2006
    Out of the list given, my preference is for Zen Mind Beginners Mind as I think more people may have that one and it's a book that changes every time it's read. Federica, do we vote on this or how is it done?
    edited February 2006
    Sorry Freddie...

I was talking about the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

But, I'm game for whatever is picked out.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    To be honest with you ZenMonk, I'm not quite sure... it's tricky... i think we need to find out who's already got what... because asking some to spend money on obtaining books may not be fesible...
    I have the tibetan book of the dead
    I have the Tibetan Book of Living & dying...

A lot of stuff is in storage, so i can't remember other titles i may have available....
    edited February 2006
    I think everyone participating should also be aware that as we go through these things, we might not be discussing their particular flavor of Buddhism - but it will be a great learning opportunity for all of us.

I know there are some Tibetan Buddhist aspects that frankly... I just can't cotton to (I got into a little of it with Chodrons: Buddhistm For Beginners quite awhile ago). But, that should stop me from further investigation of these views and teachings.

Again, I'm game for anything.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I think the Zen/Chan traditions are the best for newbies. I think that Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind is a sound choice. Very accessible/readable to anyone/any tradition.

I don't think that the Tibetan tradition is so accessible for all. It really gets into states of conciousness...bardos.

Note: I'm no scholar, and definitely no sutrist...so my personal appreciation of various works is based on personal experience. Whatever is picked, I can't contribute to an academic/polemic discussion...but willing to listen in.
    edited February 2006
    Well, I just ordered The Tibetan Book Of The Dead and Luminous Emptiness for my own... pleasure? Torture?

Although that has nothing to do with this thread. I will still be participating in whatever book is selected.

Belive it or not, I kan red more then Juan book at atime.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Which version...by whom?

I haven't read the old Evan (sp?) one, but have these:

The Tibetian Book of the Dead: Liberation Through Understanding In The Between
    -translated by Robert A. F. Thurman

The Tibetian Book of the Living and Dying
    By Sogyal Rinpoche

Luminous Emptiness: Understanding the Tibetian Book of the Dead
    -Francesca Fremantle

Sogyals book is very readable, and Fremantles 'Luminous' should be mandatory reading.

I just read Fremantle's (grudging?) review of the newest version in Shambala, and actually looked it over at B&N. It is very 'heavy'...not a light read.
    edited February 2006
    I just ordered

The Tibetan Book of the Dead (Shambala Pocket Classics)"
    Chogyam Trungpa

and

Luminous Emptiness : Understanding the Tibetan Book of the Dead"
    Francesca Fremantle

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Has one been decided? From the other posts it isn't clear.
    edited February 2006
    I think we're dciding on a choice of three (but I may be mistaken...)

'The Tibetan Book of the Dead'

'The Tibetan Book of Living & Dying'

and
    'Ancient Wisdom, Modern World'....

let's vote......
  • edited February 2006
    I really would love to do all three but that is neither practical or possible

So I vote for Ancient Wisdom, Modern World ( well I would, wouldn't I?)
    edited February 2006
    I honestly don't care and feel bad that my suggestion of The Tibetan Book of the Dead is up for nomination - I feel like I'm at the Grammy's.

It doesn't have to be included and the list that you originally provided, Freddie, was completely acceptable to me.

I'll go with the flow of the general populace here.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I am interested in any of them...but I vote for the Tibetan Book of the Dead.

I have read many that the HHDL has written. I would like to get more of the 'older stuff'.
  • edited February 2006
    My vote would go to the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
    edited February 2006
    I second that!!! Knitwitch - I have two copies. You can borrow one.... (hint hope....)
  • edited February 2006
    sounds good to me...
  • edited February 2006
    I don't understand why it would be a popular choice, but if one of the versions of the Tibetan book is chosen, then I second ZG (The Tibetian Book of the Living and Dying
    By Sogyal Rinpoche).

I think a more 'mainstream' book should be chosen...something from the Zen tradition.
  • edited February 2006
    LOL and I agree but perhaps Sogyal Rinpoche's book is more mainstream than I thought. Certainly it does seem very popular. I'm sure we will have a chance in the future to go through Zen Mind Beginners Mind and I for one am really looking forward to that.
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    I second that!!! Knitwitch - I have two copies. You can borrow one.... (hint hope....)

Excellent, thank you darling.

Listen everyone - I wuz only half joking about my suggestion - I will be very happy with whatever book is chosen - when you know nothing, any knowledge is valuable. And I am sure the Old Feller will sub me a few pennies if I need them. He's good like that.
    edited February 2006
    So can we say that the general consensus sof opinion is for the T.B.O.L.&D.?

Because then we could start Monday.....?
  • edited February 2006
    I'm washing my hair on Monday.
  • edited February 2006
    Does a discussion go by chapter, or by points/topic/theme, or both? Because, I would like to reread the book before then, with the point in mind?

Anyone ever led this kind of thing before?
  • edited February 2006
    I hope we're reading the Book of the Living and the Dying...I just purchased it.

Good questions Harlan...
    edited February 2006
    No, sorry.... We all went out for a drink last night and invested in twenty-three copies of 'the Devil Rides Out'.... Do you want a copy...I'll lend you one for ten dollars.... :lol:

Yes, I think we are Sharpiegirl.... ;)
  • edited February 2006
    Oooooh ya little liar - after you got me to buy "Janet and John Go Buddhist" yesterday too!

Never mind, I did get a free copy of "The Ladybird Book of Sutras" free with it.
  • edited February 2006
    Oh sorry I missed the party :-/ ...wouldn't that be a riot if we could???:rocker:

Well I started reading...but like Harlan asked, how is this ususally done?
    Post as we go along (at our own pace)?
    :buck: