Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Book Discussion

Comments

• edited February 2006
    So...I've got the book and re-read the first 3 chapters. Who wants to head up this discussion by starting a new thread (probably titled 'Book Discussion: TBLD' ? ;) )
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yeah... how are we starting this 3 ring circus....?

Did anyone else know that there ARE NO DAMN PICTURES IN THIS BOOK!?!?!?!?!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    LOL!!

I have started reading it and am enjoying immensely. As with any book onBuddhism I have read thus far, I always come across a phrase or paragraph that hits me square in the eye and helps me right then and there. In another thread, Fed mentioned that not everyone has the book yet. So I am not sure how/when to begin. I don't want to get too far ahead, but I can't put the book down either!:crazy:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Yeah... how are we starting this 3 ring circus....?

Did anyone else know that there ARE NO DAMN PICTURES IN THIS BOOK!?!?!?!?!

-bf

There are too... there are some photos at the back and there are some squiggles I have put in the margin and that I'm now busy colouring in...

Sharpiegirl, read all you like...how 'bout this...?
    When Knitwitch finally comes stomping in triumphant, holding aloft her very own copy, we can just go over it again... it merits several "reads" anyway...
    Heck, I've had it over ten years, and i still find 'new suff' to amaze, in it!
  • edited February 2006
    I find that reading Buddhist related material is much more difficult for me than other types of material. I will come across a sentence, and have to put down the book and reflect on it. Makes for very slow reading, and information overload!

I am going to buy some 'post-its' and tab the pages that I find such things, and instead of marking up my book, use the post its for comments.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    ...I predict that in this way, you'll effectively double the number of pages....!
    edited February 2006
    So ... we all read it at once and then come back, collectively, for a group grope?

Or do we do it one chapter at a time.

I'm afraid I will need some help with this book. It's so big and scary...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    There is no way my burnt brain can deal with a discussion on an entire book. Let's do it a couple chapters at a time...reading with awareness of things we might want to bring to the table?

For example, if no one is going to jump up as some kind of facilitator, perhaps we should just come back with things that we noted and just kinda post them for discussion?
  • edited February 2006
    I agree Harlan...that's what I thought too....makes perfect sense!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    harlan wrote:
    I find that reading Buddhist related material is much more difficult for me than other types of material. I will come across a sentence, and have to put down the book and reflect on it. Makes for very slow reading, and information overload!

Harlan,

That's EXACTLY how I feel. It takes me ages to get through. I'm always stopping to ruminate and contemplate and get a full understanding. It's like I'm trying to get it to REALLY stick. Takes forever.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Well...I think it is supposed to be a good thing actually. (I read that in one of Jack Kornfield's books.)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I have a 'goofball' suggestion.

Why not, instead of a book, discuss Dharma The Cat? No need to buy anything: we take each strip in turn and reflect on the lesson.

http://www.dharmathecat.com/
    edited February 2006
    So, did you want to start with "Time"?

-bf
    edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    So, did you want to start with "Time"?

-bf

Let's go for it. I'll start a new thread.
  • edited February 2006
    Has anyone started The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying?
    edited February 2006
    Not yet sharpiegirl. I'll let you know. i'm giving Knitwitch a couple more days, to wait and see if she receives her copy. If not, we'll start some time this week. is that ok by you? :)
  • edited February 2006
    Of Course!!!! I just didn't want to miss anything!:)
  • edited February 2006
    Oh please don't wait for me - if everyone else has their copy, go ahead. Mine's been bought off eBay for a week so should arrive this week. Please do go on and start, I'll catch up - I'm a quick reader.

I do so hate making people wait for me - in anything, dinner, travel, anything - go on, don't stack me up with guilt - get on and do it.
    edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    Oh please don't wait for me - if everyone else has their copy, go ahead. Mine's been bought off eBay for a week so should arrive this week. Please do go on and start, I'll catch up - I'm a quick reader.

I do so hate making people wait for me - in anything, dinner, travel, anything - go on, don't stack me up with guilt - get on and do it.

I suggest that we DO wait until everybody has their copy of Sogyal Rinpoche and has read the first bit. This will be our gift to you, Knitwitch, so that you can sit with this 'guilt' construct and watch it flow through mind and body, until you can finally 'see' its emptiness. Then you can embrace it as a part of the You that you have built and let it go (when that becomes right) as yet another mirage.

P.S. I do hope that doesn't sound patronising: I lived with that feeling of guilt at keeping people waiting until I discovered my own "'Hurry Up' driver" in my personal history and 'returned' it to my grandmother, to whom it belonged. Now I find that I can be on time or late, early or after time, without adding to the emotion-construct.
  • edited February 2006
    Actually Simon, it's more a question of manners - if everyone else is ready, it's IMHO very selfish and bad manners to make them wait.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    How Come Nobody uses ABE BOOKS dot COM? Just ordered my copy from them. They have several dozens. Don't wait for me, though, I'll not be leading the pack anyway. Looking forward to reading what you all have to say. I think some of you are taking smart pills now.
    "BE KIND" - the religion of ShangriLa--from the movie, "Lost Horizon"

Meditate by emptying yourself and letting the universe fill you.

-from a YOGI TEA bag's tag
    (Idea stolen from YogaMama.)
  • edited February 2006
    This book is amazing! I have more highlighted sentences (even full paragraphs) and folded pages...I can't wait to start discussing about it!
  • edited February 2006
    Get on and discuss Sharpie girl - I won't be here to join in so the fact that my book still hasn't arrived isn't important.

PLEASE DO START
  • edited February 2006
    Where is zen_monk G?

Perhaps I should clarify: who here feels confident enough to start a thread? Not me!

(ZG...where are you? )
  • edited February 2006
    I ma saddened at the thought of you not being here, Knitwitch!
    I always get a good chuckle when I read your posts!:-/ :bawling:
  • edited February 2006
    I ma saddened at the thought of you not being here, Knitwitch!
    I always get a good chuckle when I read your posts!:-/ :bawling:

Oh bless your kind heart, I will be back as soon as I can make arrangements so I don't end up spending all the old feller's pension on my pooter hours - he might be able to put some more memory on it so I can install ADSL.

But I'll be back sometime :bigclap:
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I got my copy of the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying several days ago from ABEBOOKS.COM. I've been reading through it and am glad you all have chosen it. It's good for the field I'm in (geriatrics), as I deal with dying or, at least, "terminal" people every day. But then, so are you and I terminal, eventually.

Who's gonna start the thread, Tibetan Book of Living and Dying?

It sure is great to have Zenmonk Genryu back keeping us straight. Perhaps he can do us the honours?
  • edited February 2006
    everyone must be reading. i see no discussion?
    just by chance i was about to buy " the tibetan book of the dead"
    BUT..
    judging by reading some of these posts.. i may buy.. the tibetan book of the
    living and dying

regardless if you people have started or not.. im assuming you havent

let me no when and if
    i would like to add my two cents..

guess we give more these days eh.. ok im canadian so i will throw you's
    a loonie!
  • edited February 2006
    is there really a book called " hardcore zen"??

do tell!
    edited February 2006
    http://contemporarylit.about.com/b/a/2003_12_19.htm

Yes.
    I just found it by typing 'hardcore zn' into my search engine....
  • edited February 2006
    Tee hee hee - well if you got that you did better than when the Old Feller, a steam train fanatic and new to the internet, typed in search "steaming" ..... awful lot of naked ladies!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    LOL! "Hardcore" and "Steaming" in a search engine! LOL!

Brigid
    edited February 2006
    There was the joke going around for awhile ...

There was this person that was into collecting old bottles, jugs, glassware, etc.

They went to Google and did a search for "old jugs"...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Eeeeewwwwww!
  • edited February 2006
    i havent heard what anyone wants to do about ...... reading then discussing
    im guessing the book will be " the tibetan book of the living and dying "
    if it isnt i guess it was the book meant for me anyway.. cas i was thinking
    of it already..
    and once i get reading i may put down some thoughts.. maybe someone else
    may join in.

so ready or not here i come..
    hehe
    edited February 2006
    Go right ahead.... read away and jump in!
    edited February 2006
    colleen wrote:
    i havent heard what anyone wants to do about ...... reading then discussing
    im guessing the book will be " the tibetan book of the living and dying "
    if it isnt i guess it was the book meant for me anyway.. cas i was thinking
    of it already..
    and once i get reading i may put down some thoughts.. maybe someone else
    may join in.

so ready or not here i come..
    hehe

For awhile, I thought the general idea for disscusing was via telepathy.

Someone please start it.

-bf
    edited February 2006
    BF... have you got the book? R U reeding it? :)
    edited February 2006
    Ummm... I knew this going to start off with a tough question...

Yes, I have it.

I am reading it and
    The Heart of Buddha's Teachings
    Nacissus in Chains
    Hot n Saucy Pizza Girls
    re-reading Dune
    The Tibetan Book of the Dead along with Luminous Emptiness
    Playboy (for the articles)
    and some new one my girlfriend got me.

So... I'm not being as diligent as I should be. I was going to wait until the posts started...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    What's the new one your girlfriend got you?
    edited March 2006
    OK everyone:
    The discussion for the book, "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" will commence on Sunday march 5th...

read as far as you like, but we'll start at Part I - Living: Chapter One, 'In the Mirror of Death.'

See you all then.... :)
  • edited March 2006
    I think I want to be a part of this book discussion....but do I only have until March 5th to get the first chapter read? I don't even have the book yet - I need to go get it.
  • edited March 2006
    :bawling::bawling::bawling: My copy has got lost in the post.
    edited March 2006
    What's the new one your girlfriend got you?

I believe it's

The Happiness of Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom by Jonathan Haidt.

I haven't started it yet - I'm kind of overwhelmed at the moment with books. But, I believe it covers everything from Buddha, Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism to Islam.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Thanks, Federica!
    I'm looking forward to it, Everyone!
  • edited March 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I believe it's

The Happiness of Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom by Jonathan Haidt.

I haven't started it yet - I'm kind of overwhelmed at the moment with books. But, I believe it covers everything from Buddha, Hinduism, Christianity, Judaism to Islam.

-bf

See now, if your girlfriend got you this - you should be able to reel off the exact title without hesitation. :buck:
    edited March 2006
    Easy...

You're starting to sound like my girlfriend.

Would you like to be my girlfriend?

Actually this sounds like something Simon would have already read.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    wow.. awesome stuff..
    yes i bought " the tibetan book of the l and d..
    ya's might not see much of me.. im reading reading reading!!

look forward to conversing with you all.. if im still alive!
    happy reading folks..
    talk to you soon
  • edited March 2006
    Hello all,
    Anyone know where I can download a copy? I don't have it and can't get to the library as its too far from where I am.

Cheers:rockon:
  • edited March 2006
    Can anyone join the discussion (or not), or do we have to state that we're joining first?