Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If a universe exists and no one is around to perceive it

edited September 2011 in Philosophy
Does it exist?
I mean I know this is really just a rehash of the old "tree in the forest" koan.
Say there is a hypothetical universe with no awareness... how could it possibly exist?

Do you think existence and awareness are inseparable?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    If there is nothing to perceive it how can it be said to exist ?
  • I see it as the opposite. I stand in awe and marvel at the miracle of awareness, and wonder how a universe could possibly give birth to something greater than itself. There's no reason whatsoever that the universe or life or evolution needs consciousness around. Life got on very well for millions of years without it. It just happened one day.
  • What Caz said, according to what I've been studying.

This is my current topic of study (the Two Truths, according to Vaibashika, Sautrantika, Chittimatra and Madhymaka schools of Buddhism); if I try to explain; it could help me, so sorry if it's a bit dry:

Tsongkhapa explains how to determine how things exist conventionally (there are two truths that both coexist together: conventional and ultimate truth):

So, for something to exist...

1. It is known to a conventional consciousness. (This is what Caz is pointing out).

2. No other conventional valid cognition contradicts it being so known.

3. Reason that accurately analyses the reality of whether something inherently exists does not contradict it.

Anything that fails to meet the above criteria is non-existent.

So, I guess, that anything that doesn't exist conventionally, can't possibly exist ultimately. And it takes consciousness to conceive convention. Even Emptiness exists conventionally, though Emptiness is Empty.

Confuses the heck outta me, but I'm fairly new to all this! ;-)

My mind tells me that even if there were no consciousness, that matter could still exist. Also, as sentient beings, isn't it a little arrogant to think that matter couldn't exist without our consciousnesses? Though I guess the counter argument would be, "How is it 'matter' without a mind that cognises 'matter'?"; but this seems to be a play on words, rather than the actual reality.

If anyone could help 'us' out here, I'd certainly appreciate it.

• There's no reason whatsoever that the universe or life or evolution needs consciousness around. Life got on very well for millions of years without it. It just happened one day.
    There is a theory called the Participatory Anthropic Principle, believed by some clever scientist types, that consciousness created our universe. I don't understand it to be honest, but if you do a google, I'm sure you can get the gist of it.

• I highly recommend you guys watch this:
    Its a theory that basically through quantum theory, consciousness is the foundation of the universe, as proposed by a serious scientist, not a new age pot head.

Highly interesting
  • Classic posit: Chicken or egg - which comes first?

If consciousness is perceived as seminal to the existence of the universe, the cosmos - of what is unconsciousness the progenitor? Anti-matter? Bizarro world? Void?

Does nothing have consciousness? Perception?

Is consciousness truly awareness or merely random synaptic patterns like weather, meteor showers or sun flares - taken as and agreed upon by one
    chatty species as verification of existence?

Tying existence to consciousness implies "owning" the cosmos ontologically.

Clearly, no "one" is around to perceive a universe after 130,000 years of trudging around on the earth. The drive to understand as "one" has never relented though. Like flowers we rise and fall - but flowers cannot think.

• My take... it doesn't matter...
  • Hi @Newstatesman

>Does it exist?

Of course it exists!:)

>I mean I know this is really just a rehash of the old "tree in the forest" koan.

As an asside, I diagree. The tree in the forest thing is about perception and sound, not exitance. if the tree is standing on monday and fallen on tuesday it exists and its falling existed, if it made a sound is a differnt matter philosophically.

>>>Say there is a hypothetical universe with no awareness... how could it possibly exist?

Assuming like me you are a Buddhist who believes in science, then there was such a universe:) It existed for a period of at least a pico second and probably ten billion years as the matter coaleced into stars, planets... evolution... etc.

Do you think our universe didn't exist until awareness emerged from it? (perhaps in some pre-dinosaur fishy in an ancient earthlike ocean)

>>>Do you think existence and awareness are inseparable?

100%. And I think, if you understand the three Marks of Existance you will agree that the Buddha did to:)

Nice topic!:)

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Maybe there is a universe wavefunction, that only collapses when there is an observer (i.e life)

http://library.thinkquest.org/27930/wavefunction.htm

who knows for sure :scratch:
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited September 2011
    In the Aggañña Sutta there's a mention that beings exist in spirit form while the universe forms. Who knows if its true or not but it isn't neccesarily the case that matter arises first then organizes into a conciousness that can percieve it.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Buddhism isnt looked through the lense of materialistic thinking in this regard, especially not when you apply core concepts of emptiness.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Does it exist? I mean I know this is really just a rehash of the old "tree in the forest" koan. Say there is a hypothetical universe with no awareness... how could it possibly exist? Do you think existence and awareness are inseparable?
    The fact that your statement begins with the words "If a universe exists ..." means that, in your hypothetical situation, a universe exists!

Next question? :)
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I've been thinking about the idea of a single awareness for some time since I read an article in the Shambala Sun. The idea has also been spurred on by a friend who suggested that the purpose of the food chain may be to bring matter on the earth to a higher level of awareness.

The Earth is a very dynamic place from the perspective of how we humans perceive the passage of time. The sun and the moon are the engine that drive this dynamic process and, over time, the elements of the Earth have combined and recombined as many different entities.

I was looking at what appeared to be a whale skull on the beach a few weeks ago and I marveled at how some elements from the Earth were able to form such a magnificent structure leaving space for eye, blood vessels and nerves etc. After the whale was finished using it, the skull began it's process of decomposition back into the Earth where it's elements will be again recombined and used to form something else.

I've been thinking of this process as part of the Universe becoming self aware and now that we have evolved into this human form we are literally the eyes and ears of this awareness as it learns about itself. At this point, it is impossible for this physical life as we know it to sustain itself in this dynamic environment but it is possible to reproduce. This reproduction takes part en mass to ensure the survival and progression of the physical awareness.

I think we require the illusion of being separate for this process to take place because, as we see in nature, it relies on killing and eating other living beings to elevate the matter to the higher level of awareness.

Throughout history, there have been very wise people who see the connection between all beings and try to bring that to our attention and promote loving kindness. One of these people was the Buddha who, among other things, recognized the temporary nature of all phenomena.

It is unfortunate that this survival mechanism that manifests itself in us believing we are separate entities has lead to selfishness and conflict even as we build or space telescopes and refine our science and thinking in the discovery process that is the Universe becoming self aware.

Something to think about perhaps.
    -cr
  • The world has no objective existence outside of our experience. What you don't see, smell, taste, feel or think of does not exist to you. It doesn't mean that it doesn't exist to another person though. Also no two person has the exact experience of the world - one person's paradise could be hellish for another.

[The Blessed One said: "And what is the origination of the world? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises eye-consciousness. The meeting of the three is contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. This is the origination of the world.]

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.044.than.html
  • Hi pegembara
    The world has no objective existence outside of our experience. What you don't see, smell, taste, feel or think of does not exist to you. It doesn't mean that it doesn't exist to another person though. Also no two person has the exact experience of the world - one person's paradise could be hellish for another.
    And what of things that nobody experiences, do they not exist at all? I think that is the central question under discussion.

Best wishes

• Without a see - er to see it, a perceiver to perceive it, who is there to say if it exists or not? as others have said.
  • Is it relevant to practice in the here and now?

:buck:
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    If it does, then what? If it doesn't, then what?

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Hi pegembara
    The world has no objective existence outside of our experience. What you don't see, smell, taste, feel or think of does not exist to you. It doesn't mean that it doesn't exist to another person though. Also no two person has the exact experience of the world - one person's paradise could be hellish for another.
    And what of things that nobody experiences, do they not exist at all? I think that is the central question under discussion.

Best wishes

The central question from the Buddhadhamma is does it lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge?

["So, Malunkyaputta, remember what is undeclared by me as undeclared, and what is declared by me as declared. And what is undeclared by me? 'The cosmos is eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is not eternal,' is undeclared by me. 'The cosmos is finite'... 'The cosmos is infinite'... 'The soul & the body are the same'... 'The soul is one thing and the body another'... 'After death a Tathagata exists'... 'After death a Tathagata does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata both exists & does not exist'... 'After death a Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist,' is undeclared by me.

"And why are they undeclared by me? Because they are not connected with the goal, are not fundamental to the holy life. They do not lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are undeclared by me.

"And what is declared by me? 'This is stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the origination of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. 'This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress,' is declared by me. And why are they declared by me? Because they are connected with the goal, are fundamental to the holy life. They lead to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, calming, direct knowledge, self-awakening, Unbinding. That's why they are declared by me.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.063.than.html

Regards

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    We can think up anything; the universe of the mind is limitless.
    The mind can also keep us going in circles, struggling for answers not based in reality.
  • There is an Indian physicist named Amit Goswami who has an interesting book called "Self Aware Universe" that is entirely about this very subject. He is a physicist who has written textbooks on quantum physics, and who has come to believe that consciousness is the base of all existence and all that is real. Very interesting read for anyone 'seeking'.

Namaste'

Kwan Kev
  • I don't see how the universe as a whole could be said to be conscious in any meaningful way. Considering that we are still struggling with the complexities of the human brain and its processes, the sheer scale of a cosmic mind is simply beyond our capacity to compute. It might be a handy metaphor at best.
  • Karma.
    Its a dualistic in a nondualism
  • What I mean by universe when I say it is an experience. I can't conceptualize a 'universe' in which there is no eye, ear, nose, tongue, feel, or consciousness. Thus your question (for me) boils down to the illogical statement: is the universe a universe when it is not a universe?
  • I highly recommend you guys watch this:
    Its a theory that basically through quantum theory, consciousness is the foundation of the universe, as proposed by a serious scientist, not a new age pot head.
    He did appear in the movie "What the bleep do we know?" though.
  • He did appear in the movie "What the bleep do we know?" though.
    That, for me, lowers his status :)

• My take... When you begin to realize that we are all part of eternity, does this question really matter? No, I think not...
  • We can think up anything; the universe of the mind is limitless.
    The mind can also keep us going in circles, struggling for answers not based in reality.
    We cannot think up, or meaningfully express contradictions, such as if there was change and permanence. This is why the Buddha said all is impermanent, he didn't just say it because it sounds good, but because it must be true of all things that can change.

The mind and its thoughts are deeply limited by the underlying foundations of all things that can exist and cause, ie, the Thee Marks, i.e impermanence, emptiness/interconnectivity, causal interdependence.

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @thickpaker
    We think up and express contradictions all the time. The point is that they're all mind-wrought. We can imagine a soul, but a soul contradicts Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta. It exists within the realm of thought, while not apparently existing otherwise. Paradoxes belong to the universe of the mind, while reality has no place for them.
  • @thickpaker
    We think up and express contradictions all the time. The point is that they're all mind-wrought. We can imagine a soul, but a soul contradicts Anicca-Dukkha-Anatta. It exists within the realm of thought, while not apparently existing otherwise. Paradoxes belong to the universe of the mind, while reality has no place for them.

@cloud
    I don't think this. We can imagine a soul as a place-holder, not as thing that is both impermanent/changing and discrete simultaneously.

As for paradoxes, they are the products of where language mismatches logic, I can't think of any that are mental constructs.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @thickpaper
    I'm talking about how our thoughts and perceptions, mind-wrought, can easily contradict reality (and most often do... these are our delusions, such as the delusions of self or permanence).

I think you must be talking about something else entirely and we're missing each other.
  • If a universe exists and no one is around to perceive it [...]
    ... then this would be the description of the universe as it actually is, because there *is* no one around to perceive it. Perception belongs to the *universe*, not to me. That's why the five aggregates are called "anatta": not mine, not me, not my self. If perception would belong to me (or to anyone else for that matter), it could hardly be regarded as "not mine, not me, not my self".

BTW: Hello to the forum and have a nice day!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    'not mine', is a negation of a perception of 'mine'... 'not mine' is also a a thought arising in the space of awareness. And it can be a subtle prapancha..
  • Perhaps the answer to this pondering is Who knows.

The perceiver is that which is perceived. Perceiver = perceived

Existence is awareness. Existence = awareness.

Form = Emptiness.

Separation is an just an illusion of the mind.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I guess I won't know about it.
    We can only know what we experience otherwise it's just a concept.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • Can't say, only read these concepts on books, have no "realised" anything myself yet.

It's like reading about sky diving, without having actually exprienced by oneself.

• Ch-an, I think your right that we may not have experienced the realizations, but I think we DO have the right kind of experiences. Its a hard topic to think about but I think that the place that the masters looked was in their own experience and they did not have to get a better or different experience. Or for that matter they did not get a different awareness; I am not sure what the awakening experience is like but I would imagine it is like how new vision emerges to interpret as we age. Which is to say we may have insight as hindsight and where does it come from?

• When there is just seeing. Right there!
  • The answer to this is in the question.

"if the universe exists" : right there, it's a loaded question. The question tells you there is a universe.

"no one around to perceive it" : it perceives itself

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Does it exist?
    I mean I know this is really just a rehash of the old "tree in the forest" koan.
    Say there is a hypothetical universe with no awareness... how could it possibly exist?

Well, going back to the "tree in the forest" koan (a new word for me, thank you!), I've always thought that "dilemma" was rather self-centered of any man. Just because no man is there to hear it or see it, doesn't mean there are not other beings that experience a sensation because of it.

• Does it exist?

Yes, the universe *has* to be apparent, because there is *nothing to hide it*.

Best wishes
  • The real koan is as follows: If a man says something in the forest... and his wife isn't there...is he still wrong?