Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Colors

Telly03Telly03 Veteran
edited September 2011 in Meditation
I visited a local Zen Sangha as I became curious about Buddhism, and received a wonderful orientation which included some zazen practice. I have meditated in the past, but was always with my eyes closed, and I really had no problems clearing my thoughts, mostly by watching the purple and green visual light show that I would observe... kind of like vivid color clouds expanding, then fading away. Well, with this zazen instruction I learned that meditation is performed with the eyes partley open. I was concerned with my ability to clear my thoughts without my light show, but was surprised that it was still there even with my eyes open, and I was quickly able to clear my thoughts, and was able to count my breaths without too much difficulty. After awhile I noticed the colors started to have a pattern to them corresponding to my breaths, which was a new experience for me. We only did 2 practice zazen sessions of 10 and 15 minutes, so I have more practice and discovering to do.

My question is... do others experience these colored lights? My previous med partner had no idea what I was talking about. And I'm not sure if I can block these if I'm not suppose to be noticing them.

Comments

• i see them all the time. acknowledge them and move on. like all objects they come and go.

i've assumed they are associated with the chakra system. i also see in the middle of my vision a white bead and with concentration i can build it and it expands and rotates. but i usually don't care for it.

i sit zazen as well. just zazen. just sitting. significance is given by the mind. boredom is given by the mind. watch that.
  • Thank you @taiyaki
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Yes they occur for me as well. I think its fine to use them as a focus for your meditation as I've heard that one can meditate on any of the senses, just watch them come and go.
  • It's just your brain looking for something to do, that's all.
  • those colors may indicate that your mind is good at visualization. As you practice you will notice that these colors will take form and shape of different objects. And if you focus on the objects more, they will dissolve into colors again.
    But is it important? it depends...if you practicing zen, then probably its not important...
  • I see colours and grey. Sometimes like a horizon effect. Like a dark grey sea with red or green lines on top, moving.