Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The obesity-health connection debate, continued...

edited October 2011 in Diet & Habits
The first part of this discussion can be found here: http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/12479/is-vegetarianism-healthy-does-it-matter-if-its-healthy#Item_127
@vixthenomad

You say diet is more important than body weight in regards to health, but they are closely connected - if you eat a fatty, sugary, diet, then over time you will become obese.
This is NOT true for everyone, as I've already stated. Some people can eat and eat and eat and stay thin. Others eat less, but are bigger. True, people who have an existing predisposition to become fat are more likely to do so in the modern industrialized world, but the link between diet/calorie intake and weight is NOT as clear-cut as everyone makes out it is.

Take me, for instance. I weigh 210 pounds, with a BMI of 34. Before I started dieting at age 16, I weighed around 182 with a BMI of 27. I had to practically STARVE myself to get to a 'healthy' BMI of 25 and when I look back at the photos of me in the 'healthy' weight range, my face looked positively skeletal. I also had zero energy, pale, dry skin, flaky nails, permanently cold, blue fingertips and my periods were nearly non-existent (there you go - gender confusion cleared up). So, for me AS AN INDIVIDUAL, it suits me better to be bigger. Nowadays I have lots of energy, normal blood pressure and do not have diabetes or heart problems...in fact, the only serious problems I have are mental health ones, likely exacerbated by my years of dieting and the self-hatred that led to it.
Alternatively it can be because you don't exercise enough to burn the energy you consume even from a healthy diet. Our possibly a combination of poor diet and lack of exercise. For these reasons, and public health stats, I think it's not unreasonable to link poor health with obesity..
So you are implying that if healthy diet and exercise don't make a person 'thin enough', then it's THEIR fault? Or could it be that their own personal 'ideal weight' - the weight they stabilise at when they aren't over- or undereating - simply falls outside the range that has been deemed 'normal'?

It is COMPLETELY unreasonable to AUTOMATICALLY link poor health and high body weight. We have been goaded into this by the press and the diet and exercise industries so that we continue to feel anxious and buy their products.

I would also like to point out that if high body weight really is a health issue rather than a moral one (as it has arguably become), since when has blaming the sufferer produced a decrease in the frequency of that illness? How is scapegoating fat people going to help in any way whatsoever?
Hey Gumby, did you really think that is what he is doing here? I did not see anyone talking about laziness except you. Some of the hardest working people I know don't get enough exercise. They would be seriously offended to hear you calling them lazy.
What is your definition of 'enough' exercise? Enough according to WHOSE standards - yours or theirs? I also asked you to define what you thought of as 'a few extra pounds' in my last comment and you have declined to respond to that question. General terms like these, which have no meaning outside the individual's interpretation of them, simply confound the issue because everyone ends up arguing from different base points.

Comments

• edited October 2011
    Just to clarify my own terms, by the way (sorry, tried to edit and ran out of time), when I talk about 'obesity' I mean a body mass index of 30 or over, and when I say 'healthy' I mean a degree of physical and mental wellbeing that allows someone to operate effectively in their society without major medical intervention. So, by my own definition I am not a healthy person, as I require some very powerful psycho-stimulant drugs in order to regulate my brain functioning and my moods, and regular contact with mental health professionals in order to avert crisis. However, my problems have persisted whatever weight I have been at the time (and I've traversed a huge range, scales-wise), and I have not to date seen sufficient evidence to suggest that mental health problems are caused by obesity.
  • @vixthenomad There is considerable evidence that mental health problems can lead to obesity, however. For some people, comfort eating is a problem, for others, a very inactive life caused by severe depression, but the most common issue is medications used to treat mental illness often have weight-gain as a side-effect. It can be tough to control your intake when meds are making you seriously hungry all the time (BTDT).

And whilst you can be a bit chubby and still healthy (you should see my karate teacher as an example of that!), if you continue to gain weight year on year out, as some people do, you eventually get to the point where your health is severely impaired. Being morbidly obese, as the term implies, means you are not healthy; it is in fact very dangerous. Not to mention very inhibiting of a person's lifestyle.

Well done on keeping your weight down, even if you're not skinny. The latest research suggests that losing weight is three times harder than people imagine, as for every calorie you cut out of your diet, your body tries to compensate by dropping your metabolism. On average, it takes a person three weeks to lose one pound, after an initial faster weight-loss (the first 6 months usually, depending on your weight: heavier people lose faster). It is possible to lose it faster, but as you testify, we're talking seriously hard work in that case.
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The key to healthy looking weight loss is protein. It makes you feel full, it better maintains your blood sugar. A combination of building lean muscle mass and maintaining it with proper protein will counter that "skeletal" look that some bigger people might get from losing a lot of weight.

So it is possible for people who think they're naturally big to get to a weight they desire. It just can take a lot of work. That doesn't mean starving. Just a long term change in diet, smaller portions, no more soda, more water, exercise religiously. All these changes can help one get into a leaner shape, no matter what their genetics are.

It's not easy, but it's possible for those who want it bad enough. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But what it comes down to, is if one can admire themselves in the mirror. That, and living longer is the goal of all the sacrifice.

A good friend of mine was 5.11, 270 pounds, played video games all day. Now he is 195 and weight lifts along side me, as much as I do, and sometimes even more. He is more intelligent now, better socially, more handsome (I'm straight lol), and he's attracting girls into his life now. He's a 24 year old virgin, but I'm sure that will change soon.

Everything for him is only getting better. So I think only good things can come to those that force themselves to get to a healthy weight with the right methods.
  • Well done on keeping your weight down, even if you're not skinny. The latest research suggests that losing weight is three times harder than people imagine, as for every calorie you cut out of your diet, your body tries to compensate by dropping your metabolism. On average, it takes a person three weeks to lose one pound, after an initial faster weight-loss (the first 6 months usually, depending on your weight: heavier people lose faster). It is possible to lose it faster, but as you testify, we're talking seriously hard work in that case.
    I recommend the book Health At Every Size by Linda Bacon - she makes a compelling case for shifting one's focus away from numbers on the scale.
    So it is possible for people who think they're naturally big to get to a weight they desire.
    But assuming a person is not so big that they cannot function normally, why SHOULD they desire any weight in particular? When I started dieting at age 16 I was partaking in intense martial arts training twice a week, so it's not as if my fitness was a worry. It was narcissism, pure and simple, and a desire to be seen as 'hot'. Is that what young girls should be aspiring to? Or would they be better off learning to value themselves in different ways?
    It just can take a lot of work. That doesn't mean starving. Just a long term change in diet, smaller portions, no more soda, more water, exercise religiously. All these changes can help one get into a leaner shape, no matter what their genetics are.
    Yes - but at what cost? Taken to extremes, this approach falls under the criteria for disordered eating. It certainly did for me (bulimia). Really healthy...I don't think.
    It's not easy, but it's possible for those who want it bad enough.
    I did want it badly enough. I wanted it so badly that I didn't have space left to want anything else. At the worst part of my thin-mania I was working out 6 days a week for 2 hours each time and eating around 800 calories per day. It was my mum narrowly escaping death (brain haemorrhage indirectly related to alcoholism) that gave me the slap in the face I needed to stop destroying myself an alienating everyone around me with my vanity and self-obsession.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But what it comes down to, is if one can admire themselves in the mirror. That, and living longer is the goal of all the sacrifice.
    I can find absolutely no evidence that CONCLUSIVELY links body weight per se with longevity. In some studies those with the higher weights actually lived the longest. As for admiring oneself in the mirror - I can do that now, at the size I'm at, and regularly do. Fat bits and all.
    A good friend of mine was 5.11, 270 pounds, played video games all day. Now he is 195 and weight lifts along side me, as much as I do, and sometimes even more. He is more intelligent now, better socially, more handsome (I'm straight lol), and he's attracting girls into his life now. He's a 24 year old virgin, but I'm sure that will change soon.
    Your friend has become more INTELLIGENT? Excuse me? How on earth did you come to this conclusion? Perhaps you THINK he's more intelligent now because his interests more closely match your own? What does 'better socially' mean, exactly? And what sort of girls? Are these girls interested in his mind or his muscles? Are they girls you would want a relationship with?

Let me give you a testimonial of my own. Since settling at MY weight and size I have entered into and maintained a happy marriage, had two lovely kids, made a bunch of friends who like me for myself and found an emotionally fulfilling career. Not bad for a fat chick, eh? Perhaps being the same size as me is the path to a happy life and everyone should actually be trying to get fatter. Or do you think that these things are probably completely unrelated to my weight? (I do.)
    Everything for him is only getting better. So I think only good things can come to those that force themselves to get to a healthy weight with the right methods.
    If this 'friend' is an actual person and not someone you've invented to make a point, I sincerely hope it works out for him. However, based on my own experience and a ton of research into the subject - not to mention personal stories from a LOT of ex-dieters - I rather suspect it won't.
  • BMI is not the be-all and end-all. Plenty of people who are above a BMI of 30 are not in any way obese, or even overweight. Conversely though, that fact shouldn't be taken as a license to eat either.

Humans come in all shapes and sizes. The bottom line is, you need to be healthy for you.
  • @Mountains: :clap:

@vix: Mts. knows whereof he speaks. He has a medical education. :thumbsup:
  • That's scary...
  • @vixthenomad
    You seem a bit overly defensive about this. I understand that you're happy with your weight and that's fine. It all comes down to how you see yourself. Everything I said about my friend was true, and he would agree with me. He has said things like;
    "I'm going to keep working out like this till I die."
    "I get so much more attention now at this weight, it was all worth it."

He does not have an eating disorder. Him and I mostly are on the same diet. We eat basically whatever we want, we just limit the portion size, watch how much fried food, or gluten we eat, raise our protein intake. We don't drink too much soda. It's really not bad, but it makes a difference.

When we do eat a lot of junk, we work it off. For the most part we work out 6x a week. As for his intelligence and social abilities, yes they have increased for sure. It is all due to his increased confidence with himself. Through a new level of confidence one does increase their social intelligence, and many other aspects of their mentality.

It is also a huge challenge to go from 270 to 195, and then learn how to build strength and muscle. He has basically given rebirth to a stronger, and smarter version of him. If that offends you, well that's on you. Everyone is different.

Sure maybe you're happily married, with a great sex life, if that's the case. I understand why you feel content. I do know several obese/overweight women who have boyfriends or can get sex whenever they want. I cannot say the same for the obese/overweight men I know. For those dudes, I would tell them to get their asses to the gym, and to change the way they eat, and that would make a huge positive difference for them.

Then again though, I am from Los Angeles. Everyone here is very looks orientated. Looking good and talking well will get you places in this city. So it is part of my mentality to always strive for the best of those worlds.

• @vixthenomad

Please understand I wasn't trying to insult, scapegoat or call obese people lazy.
    I was simply pointing out that obesity IS linked to health issues, statistically speaking. Of course there are exceptions, and I'm very happy for you if you are one of them! I understand this is a personal and sensitive issue for you and I totally respect that.

I also agree BMI is not an ideal measure to judge one's health. For example, most professional football players (i'm in Australia, so I mean rugby union, rubgy league or Australian rules football) have BMI's that technically mean they are obese! This is because BMI is simply a weight/height ratio, hence top athletes who are super-fit but quite heavy due to high muscle mass are considered obese!

A far better indicator of health is your body fat percentage. There are normal ranges of these (different for men and women, women being higher) and as long as you are within these ranges or not too far out of them, I wouldn't worry about your BMI at all. TO put it another way: it's better to watch your belt size than the scales.

Namaste
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited October 2011

What is your definition of 'enough' exercise? Enough according to WHOSE standards - yours or theirs? I also asked you to define what you thought of as 'a few extra pounds' in my last comment and you have declined to respond to that question. General terms like these, which have no meaning outside the individual's interpretation of them, simply confound the issue because everyone ends up arguing from different base points.
    @vixthenomad Sorry for not getting back on that. Its thanksgiving in Canada. It seems that I have insulted everyone from 22 yr old guys to thin women so far. I don't think there is any way to say the right thing to you. Do you think this is all theoretical to me? I am 56 yrs old. I have been over weight myself. I am 5'7". For me a few extra pounds is 185. At 200 I have a thick band of fat around my waist and chest and probably my liver and heart. One of my best friends has been between 3-400 pounds for the last 25 yrs. He has had all kinds of problems. He is getting his new knees right now. Another friend was suicidal when he reach 550 lbs. Fortunately his family talked him into having surgery. He had his stomach stapled. He lost 325 then gained about 100 back. Apparently not from his diet. For 20 years I lived with a woman with a few extra pounds. I never once talked about her weight unless she brought it up. At 5'7" a healthy weight for her was around 170. She is very strong. At 225 she had back and foot pain. And she was unhappy about the way she looked and felt. Most of the guys who are the same business I am in will agree that they are not getting enough exercise. It is the nature of the business. And the fact that most of us are 50 plus. I don't know what I said that bugged ZG. If it had to do with my daughter, too bad. If I insulted her I with some of my other words, I'm sorry. I'm done talking about weight issues. Its no win.
  • It's true, once someone passes 200 lbs., it's hard on the knees and the feet. They say the risk of diabetes increases, but they also say that a regular walking regime helps keep the blood sugar under control. (And is good for the whole system, the heart, etc.)
  • The main point of starting this thread was to try and encourage people to examine their beliefs about the relationship between weight and health. It was not to say that people should/shouldn't be any weight or size in particular, or should/shouldn't exercise or eat healthily. Exercise and healthy eating are great things to do for oneself. But it seems that it is very hard for even Buddhists to accept that a fat person can be fat IN SPITE of healthy eating and exercise, or that not all fat people have diabetes or hypertension or joint problems (@Dakini - the only joint problems I have ever had were whilst I was well within the 'normal' weight range and were probably due to nutritional deficiencies plus over-exercising), or even that someone who is deemed fat by society's standards might actually be comfortable and happy with themselves that way.

I had my body fat measured at the gym recently and was told, my a very surprised-looking gym instructor, that although my overall body fat was around 50%, my level of visceral fat - the stuff around your organs - was within the 'low risk' range of 1-12. The scale used a measurement of 1-59 and my reading was 8. When I take this into consideration alongside my 117/75 (average) blood pressure and 5.5mmol/L (average) post-meal blood glucose level, and the fact that I can walk 3 miles without stopping and keep up with two active children, the fact that I weigh 210lb somehow seems rather insignificant.
  • I think people should mind their own business and not judge others.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    You prove what a few studies have said: that it's possible to be healthy at weights considered to be well above what is conventionally considered healthy. Health should be measured by the measurements you mention, not by simplistic formulae like BMI, and the like.

Some people are overweight due to factors beyond their control, and the medical system isn't good at bothering to try to figure out root causes. Genetics and hormone imbalance are two common causes, and nothing can be done about the former. Look at Oprah: she said when she was a teen, her father or uncle said she was going to be "big". Her mother was "big", so she was going to be big. Look how hard she's worked to defy what seems to be her genetic heritage. But she's gorgeous and wonderful no matter what her size, not that her size is anyone's business.

Our society hasn't learned yet to look past appearances and appreciate people's character.

P.S. Take a vacation to Greece. It'll be a refreshing experience. You might get hooked! ^_^
  • i'll start this comment by saying im a nutrition major and have studied the pathology and treatment of obesity fairly extensively.

as far as the relationship between obesity and disease goes:

healthy body weight, falls within a pretty large range and the total weight of the body (and the bmi scale), are for the most part useless... what matters is the amount of body FAT. simple example is a 300lb obese man and a 300lb bodybuilder. same weight, different distribution of tissues. having excess body fat beyond a certain point does increase your risk of various disease... partly because fat is a hormonally active tissue and changes the balance of certain key elements in the body. most of the damage, imo, comes from 1) higher intake of unhealthy foods which are detrimental for other reasons 2)increased metabolic biproducts are cellular metabolism.

that being said... it is possible to have a higher than standard bodyweight and be perfectly healthy, but nearly impossible to have a higher than standard amount of bodyfat and not be initiating disease development.

the idea that anything other than caloric intake, baring illness, influences body weight is simply a misunderstanding. for the most part the calories in-calories out rule is correct. bodyfat storage, in healthy people, is almost solely related to eating more calories than your body is using. bodyfat is a storage mechanism for energy and could not be created without excess energy.

what makes certain people appear to be able to eat more or less is: 1) different capacity for digestion... not everything you put in your stomach is digested and metabolized. some people may digest nearly everything, some people may digest not so much. so skinny person A may consume 1000kcal and digest 500 while overweight person b may consume 1000kcal and digest 900. 2) hunger-satiety mechanisms in the brain... the signalling for hunger and fullness between the brain and the stomach can vary GREATLY in people. the skinny person who you see eat huge meals likely has reduce food intake that day, or even for a number of days after.

there are many other things that play into this, activity, basal metabolic rate, genetics, etc etc etc... i could write for days.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Very educational, ajnast4r. Good info. but again, it's not so simple as calories in, energy output out. Again: genetics (which you mentioned), hormones, thyroid and other glandular issues, to name just a few factors. In the US, the insurance system doesn't allow doctors to diagnose thyroid disease. My doc and her husband just got kicked off insurance because they're thyroid specialists, and were diagnosing a lot of thyroid cases. And welcome to NB, btw. :)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I was a fat baby. Fat toddler. Fat child. Now a fat adolescent. But I'm working on it. ;)
  • My mom has a thyroid condition, Dakini. I worked in a pharmacy and one of the most common prescriptions was synthroid. That doesn't seem consistent with what you said about the US insurance system. :confused:
  • There are lots of undiagnosed thyroid cases. It's mainly about thyroid auto-immune conditions. Insurance doesn't want to pay for the more expensive test that uncovers thyroid antibodies. So they tell docs to tell patients that as long as their thyroid levels are within a (too broadly-defined) certain range, even if they're borderline levels, that the patients are fine. Even if they're having symptoms.
  • hormones, thyroid and other glandular issues
    Just to clarify... the thyroid gland and the secretions of other glads (in the context you're talking about) *are* hormones. :)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Yeah, I know. That was a bit redundant, but I thought it might help for clarity. I was wondering who would catch me on it. ;)
  • Thyroid pills have a huge range of doses is one thing I noticed. Dakini, your logic doesn't entirely making sense (to me :) ) because the pharmaceutical companies have just as large lobbies as the insurance. The company that makes synthroid wants to make a lot of money. I'm pretty sure that Merck and Aetna are friends!
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Jeffrey Yeah, I know. I'm speaking from personal experience of getting thyroid testing every 5 years of my adult life and being told I was fine, and no further testing necessary. Until I went to a doc who was off insurance. He explained that when a certain pattern appears in the preliminary test results (high TSH, certain other indicators low), it means you need to do further testing, because there's probably an underlying condition causing that pattern. And sure enough: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I've talked to a number of cases of Hashimoto's (thyroid auto-immune disease), and they all say it took years, decades even, to find a doc to take them seriously and do the right testing. And the doc I have now was told by insurance to lie to her patients and tell them they're fine, rather than order the more expensive tests.

I'll tell you what doesn't make sense. To just save whatever it costs, maybe a few 100 bucks on a test, insurance ends up paying out a lot more money monthly for meds for people to manage their symptoms. Lots of money on very expensive migraine meds, for example (migraines can be associated with thyroid disease). I mean: what does insurance gain from refusing to diagnose a condition, and as a result, having those patients become disabled and require expensive monthly meds? It makes no sense.

Not all patients respond to synthroid or armour thyroid. I found a remedy from Sweden over the internet that finally did the trick. Other patients have told me they've found other alternative remedies that worked for them. Every body is different; the one-size-fits-all remedies don't fit all. But it's interesting to hear about your experience, Jeffrey.

Me, trying to find a doc to treat me for thyroid: :banghead: :banghead:
    OK, enuff about me and thyroid. PM me if you want to discuss this further.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Big pharma isn't getting rich off Synthroid (levothyroxine). It's been generic for decades. One of the cheapest drugs out there. Most of what you get in the US now is made in India or China.
  • And the doc I have now was told by insurance to lie to her patients and tell them they're fine, rather than order the more expensive tests.
    I'm not calling you a liar - but *if* that's the truth (which I ***highly*** doubt it is), then there's grounds for legal action against the insurance company, and if the doctor did so, against the doctor for malpractice.

As cynical as I am about the health care industry, I certainly hope insurance dweebs are not telling physicians to out and out lie to patients. That's completely illegal and unethical. Not saying that insurance companies are either ethical nor above board legally (far from it), but 99.999% of physicians are. Contrary to popular belief, physicians are not always at the mercy of the insurance companies, especially when it comes to tests as cheap and easy as thyroid function testing. Those are simple lab tests that even the remotest lab can handle.
  • Mountains, in pharmacy school I was taught that generic synthroid is about the only generic that is often less effective than brand. University of Florida therapeutics class.
  • No, the doctor refused to lie to her patients, so she and her husband both got booted off insurance.

But Mts., AFAIK, the thyroid test that tests for antibodies is significantly more expensive than the standard one that checks TSH, T4, T3, etc. I had to pay out of pocket for it once, and it was really steep.
  • I think people should mind their own business and not judge others.
    Are you judging my right to judge others? :)

@vixthenomad

It sounds like you are happy, healthy, and have a loving family. I wish you a long and happy life.

Namaste
  • Yeah, vix; it seems like you're blessed in many ways.
  • Daozen, as is relevant to me and you... I am not judging you :) This moment at least! I reserve the right for complete hipocrisy at some later time.
  • Mountains, in pharmacy school I was taught that generic synthroid is about the only generic that is often less effective than brand. University of Florida therapeutics class.
    Even so, it's cheap as chips. Here in the UK, we are obsessed with worrying about the cost of drugs, but synthyroid is considered one of the cheapest, and most effective, drugs around (we pay a flat fee for prescriptions, but people always worry that the NHS won't be able to afford it).

There is zero evidence that synthyroid is being over-prescribed.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @robot i'm a little late to respond here, but i just wanted to say that my comments in the other thread regarding your association between vegetarianism and anorexia did offend me, however, i meant my post to be a reflection on how i was ignorant to the fact that many mask eating disorders with "diets". i believe i said it was more irritating, just because people often accuse me of an eating disorder because i am thin. while i know that most are probably coming from a place of compassion when they ask about my diet and show concern over my health, you should know that not everyone is so kind to skinny girls. there's a thin line between, "how do you get your protein?" and "you need to eat something!" i have had women actually accuse me of throwing up or starving myself and well, it doesn't make me feel too great considering that i eat A LOT (my girlfriend actually yells at me for cleaning out our fridge all the time, lol). but i digress, the point i wanted to make here was that after reading your comment, and the comments of others, i realized that you were coming from a place of compassion with your post, not judgement. i thought i made that clear, but i guess not. i hold no ill feelings towards you. :)

this might be a little OT, but since people have been talking a lot about health, i recently downloaded a free app for my android phone called "My Fitness Pal" that i will definitely recommend to others. i was curious about whether or not i was getting enough protein and fiber in my diet, and this app allows you to add the food you eat in a day and it will compute your intake of major nutrients (calories, carbs, fats, proteins, vitamins, etc) and show you how much you SHOULD be eating and how close you are to your recommended daily amount. it's pretty neat and i've found out that i eat more than enough protein, but i should increase my intake of potassium and calcium. it also seems very geared towards tracking calories and letting you know how many more you can eat to reach your weight goal, although i don't use it for that and my current set up is just to "maintain"
  • @zombiegirl Not that I think you have an eating disorder, of course, but I've never understand why people react to those who do have eating disorders, with hatred and vitriol. I have lost two friends to anorexia nervosa. It's a horrible, horrible illness, with the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Can you think of any other, potentially fatal condition that elicits such nastiness from people?

I wonder if it is because people somehow imagine that if it's a condition of the mind, a person can just snap themselves out of it?

I also have friends with crohns disease, who struggle to keep up their weight. Cystic fibrosis, rheumatoid arthritis and many other chronic conditions also cause difficulties with people being underweight. A lady I know with severe Crohns, who has to be tube-fed to keep her weight up, has suffered threats of violence for being so skinny! It's crazy!

I know that very overweight people also get prejudice and bigotry. I suppose I ought to be pleased to be 'just' overweight, like about 70% of the rest of the British population.

What is it all about? I just don't understand it.

As for healthy weight, my sister's doctors have said that she needs to have a BMI over 17. That's on the low end of normal, but as she is anorexic, it's important for her to be skinny, but healthy-skinny rather than underweight. I was amazed to discover that the doctors don't worry too much as long as a person has a BMI over 14 - below that, your body starts to struggle (not that BMI of 14-17 is healthy - but that was when my sister was ill).

My daughter also suffered from infantile anorexia, and failure-to-thrive, as a toddler, and through that experience and my sister, I've realised that people can be really, really skinny and still healthy. Maybe it's because so many of us are overweight that we no longer know what a healthy but skinny person looks like? Or maybe the mean people are just jealous?
  • @zombiegirl Not that I think you have an eating disorder, of course, but I've never understand why people react to those who do have eating disorders, with hatred and vitriol. I have lost two friends to anorexia nervosa. It's a horrible, horrible illness, with the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. Can you think of any other, potentially fatal condition that elicits such nastiness from people?

I wonder if it is because people somehow imagine that if it's a condition of the mind, a person can just snap themselves out of it?
    Jealousy, I've always thought. Large people are constantly talking about how beautiful Marilyn Monroe was, and stating that "real women have curves" as if to imply that thin women aren't "real women". Thin women snap back at the larger women something equally, if not more, hateful. Vicious damn circle. :( I do what ever I can to ignore or be indifferent towards what people say about my body. They can think what they want; it's none of my business. I wish I could think of something useful to say when I hear people bicker about size differences... it's a really exhausting thing for me.

@Ada_B, I'm under the impression that in Britain, it's kind of the norm to be very scornful and unkind to large people? We have a bit of that in the US, but the way Fergie was openly ridiculed (for looking "normal" in my opinion) is not something we see too often here outside of primary schools. Anyway, it doesn't matter... I'm just curious to a fault.
  • edited October 2011
    @zombiegirl -The ironic thing about Marilyn Monroe is that her supposed 'size 16' is an urban myth. Source: http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/mmdress.asp

@prettyhowtown - I know the question was addressed to @Ada_B but I wanted to put in my two British penceworth too. :) I don't believe it's 'the norm' at all - in fact the majority of us are too polite to remark on someone's body at all unless we see that they've recently LOST weight. But then I live in a particularly liberal city (Brighton) and realise this may not be the case in other areas.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Ada_B it's not that i'm surprised that people hold animosity towards skinny people, but that doesn't make it right. i will admit, it is much easier to be skinny in this world. american society is extremely biased towards thin=beautiful but i'm a huge proponent of big=beautiful too. but having said that, i do understand where these women are coming from. my ex was a naturally big girl who had to watch EVERYTHING she ate and work out multiple times weekly just to MAINTAIN the weight she was unhappy with. i, on the other hand, eat whatever i want and build muscle/lose weight extremely easily, with practically no effort. it's just the way i was born, but even so, my ex would sometimes rag on me for it. it's jealousy, but seeing how much she struggled (especially with her own convoluted sense of weight tying in with her self esteem), it gave me a lot of compassion for women who treat me poorly because i have a good metabolism. i honestly couldn't imagine struggling like that. if i wasn't born with the metabolism i have, i really doubt i would put the effort forth to look how i do.

so anyways, when a woman says an off comment to me (which doesn't happen as often now that i don't work in retail where people constantly have weight and size on the mind), i try to understand that it is simply a rehashing of the pain she has felt from her life. for my ex, it was her father who would tell her she was overweight and put that idea in her head. who knows what kind of mental injuries other people have accrued throughout their lives. at the moment when they spew that hatred, it really isn't ABOUT ME, but it can be hard to remember that sometimes. i think it's the same for those with eating disorders. these women are just as much victims of the same cycle, but i think a lot of women almost see them as contributors to the thin=beautiful belief permeating society. like, because they bought into it, in essence, they become the enemy. it's sad, but people always make excuses to see enemies in people that they should be hugging instead. people act like this towards sex workers a lot as well.
    edited October 2011

Jealousy, I've always thought. Large people are constantly talking about how beautiful Marilyn Monroe was, and stating that "real women have curves" as if to imply that thin women aren't "real women". Thin women snap back at the larger women something equally, if not more, hateful. Vicious damn circle. :( I do what ever I can to ignore or be indifferent towards what people say about my body. They can think what they want; it's none of my business. I wish I could think of something useful to say when I hear people bicker about size differences... it's a really exhausting thing for me.
    "real women have curves" yes! this is exactly what i'm talking about. i know it was invented to supply self esteem for bigger/overweight individuals, which is not something i'm against, but damnit... it's offensive. to imply that because i have no hips and i still wear an A cup that i am somehow less than a woman, well, that's just crap.

i wish i had an answer for this as well, but when hatred stems from something like self-loathing, it's really hard to effect. a great example of this is how many vehemently anti-gay people tend to actually be gay themselves. sometimes you just have to think to yourself, "who are you trying to convince?" i often think this for women who bash skinny girls. i believe shakespeare said, "the lady doth protest too much."

• @Ada_B, I'm under the impression that in Britain, it's kind of the norm to be very scornful and unkind to large people? We have a bit of that in the US, but the way Fergie was openly ridiculed (for looking "normal" in my opinion) is not something we see too often here outside of primary schools. Anyway, it doesn't matter... I'm just curious to a fault.
    It depends where you are. Zombiegirl lives in a particularly liberal and modern town (Brighton), whereas I live in a very conservative, insular place. Here people can be pretty horrible to very heavy people, or very skinny people, or anyone who is 'different'.

But it was the British press who ridiculed Fergie, and they are a completely different kettle of fish (rather nasty kettle, at that). Real people don't talk like tabloid newspapers, thankfully. Our media are going through a crisis at the moment and it's becoming apparent just how horrible they are - and not before time IMHO. However, as they say themselves, its the British public who buy this nastiness. If we didn't buy it, they wouldn't print it. So we all have some responsibility.
  • The standard of beauty in Marilyn Monroe's time, when it comes to weight and "curves" was very different than now. For some reason, the ideal has become almost unhealthily thin, which can be oppressive for women even at what is considered a normal weight, let alone those who are heavier. This is one factor that can trigger anorexia.

RE: whatever size Monroe is rumored to have worn--we should bear in mind that the fashion industry has shifted the sizes of women's clothing several times since Marilyn's time. What was a 16 then is probably a 12 now. This is how we got to the absurd point that there is such a thing as a size 2, and even a size 0.
    edited October 2011
    The standard of beauty in Marilyn Monroe's time, when it comes to weight and "curves" was very different than now. For some reason, the ideal has become almost unhealthily thin, which can be oppressive for women even at what is considered a normal weight, let alone those who are heavier. This is one factor that can trigger anorexia.

RE: whatever size Monroe is rumored to have worn--we should bear in mind that the fashion industry has shifted the sizes of women's clothing several times since Marilyn's time. What was a 16 then is probably a 12 now. This is how we got to the absurd point that there is such a thing as a size 2, and even a size 0.
    it is my belief that whatever is popular from a beauty standpoint is whatever is hard to achieve. if you look at renaissance art, you will notice instantly that the nudes are large and voluptuous, and yes, what many would call "obese" today. that is because it was a sign of wealth, since the peasants couldn't afford to eat like that. i think that this applied to marilyn monroe's time as well. well before the "green revolution" with mentalities still influenced somewhat by the great depression (hell, i think my grandma's mentality is STILL influenced by that), i think that people still saw weight as a sign of beauty and wealth. now, it's all too easy to become obese/overweight/voluptuous with mcdonalds and their dollar menu and you find a shift in the weight/class dynamic. these days, most of the lower income families tend towards the overweight side, since the cheap food has become so void of nutrients and full of fat. produce that is made "organically" is simply out of the budget and even a head of broccoli costs more than an entire burger! it's nuts, but now, being thin and eating organically or whatever is a sign of wealth and therefore, beauty and what is desirable. i have had a few friends who have told me they could not become vegetarians simply because they couldn't afford to do it properly.

@Ada_B i live in detroit, did you mean to say that you live in brighton?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @Ada_B, nobody said synthroid is overprescribed. Dakini said it was under :)
  • @zombiegirl - I think @Ada_B got you and I confused with one another. I'm the Brighton one. :)

• I don't doubt that many generics are less (or sometimes more) effective than their brand name counterparts, despite what the FDA says. I've got too much first hand knowledge (unscientific, but with my own eyes) to the contrary. Just saying it's been generic for eons, so cost isn't a factor for the most part in dealing with hypothyroid issues.
  • Mountains, the med cost isn't the issue. Dakini was saying there is a second screening test which the insurance companies don't want to pay. Like someone else said they should be open to legal action as a doctor reported that she was told by the insurance company not to give that test. The posts dealing with this are several above :)
  • That was me who said that. I was just replying to the comment about efficacy of generic vs. brand name.