Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Vegetarianism a necessity in Buddhism?

edited October 2011 in Diet & Habits
Hi!
Please share your insight on this topic if you wish. I used to be a vegetarian because I didn't agree with how animals are abused and mistreated in the factory farming industry. Under strict instructions from my doctor due to some health issues, I was to begin eating meat once or twice a week. Is it a necessity of practicing buddhism to eat a vegetarian diet? Or can mindful and thankful eating be enough?

Comments

• Short answer: no
  • Nope. There are, however, four occasions on which it is unsuitable to eat meat: If you knew the animal personally, if you heard it being killed, if you saw it being killed, or if you suspect that the meet was killed with you personally in mind.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Some traditions advocate vegetarianism, some let you make you own informed choice. It will therefore depend on which tradition you choose to adhere to...
    I hope I don't need to advise you not to choose a tradition (if at all) on this basis....
  • edited October 2011
    Follow your conscience and your doctor's recommendations. Bear in mind that lots of Buddhists eat meat, including most Tibetans, so you're in good company. We won't kick you off the forum for eating meat once or twice/week. ;) Even the Dalai Lama eats meat. A "middle way", where you're eating vegetarian a few times a week, is a noble compromise. :)
  • No.

Although there ARE plenty of good reasons to be vegetarian (or to eat less meat) including: health, ethics, and the environment.
  • first i'll start by saying that there are no known health conditions that require eating meat... human physiology does not require meat, neither in healthy or diseased state. this recommendation was likely because of your doctors ignorance of human nutrition. so you COULD become a vegetarian again if you would like to... you can PM me and I can help you figure out exactly what you would need to do if you like.

second, its technically not a necessity in Buddhism... but I would invite you to spend some time playing with an animal and then watch that animal be killed in person. in most people this rouses extreme compassion for animals. all of the theravadin monks i know of are vegetarians, out of compassion for animals.

• Thais live in the most Buddhist country on earth and they love meat.
  • To be a Buddhist does not necessary mean to follow the Buddha Dhamma *smile* A Buddhist country is fiction and as we know, we should not follow blindly culture. To follow greed (love) is ignoring it but not getting rid of it *smile* *smile*
    Love is not the way, people always kill out of love *smile*
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Thais live in the most Buddhist country on earth and they love meat.
    Just like the USA is the most Christian country?

• Of course it is not necessary to be vegetarian (one who does not eat meat), but it is necessary to reduce harming out of ones intention because this would make your mind defile and destructed.

Actually if one thinks that he goes a safer way being a Vegetarian could lead much more to additional defilement as the feeling of being rid of harming other.

Even eating vegetarian still means not abstaining from taking what is not given freely given. So its better to work on the desire for pleasant food and of cause not harming more as really necessary. Seek for pleasure is what kills much more than any other ideas. *smile*
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Nope!
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I think the question was: "Is Vegetarianism a necessity in Buddhism"?
    It's not a NECESSITY.
  • Says who? One free of desire of pleasure? *smile* So maybe you know a different reason for suffering.

Would you suffer if you would not have the endless desire for pleasant feelings? So for example of the worry what do eat, so that my desire fits to be a "good man", or the worry what would be good for my health but also tasty. *smile*
  • Sorry for the many posts, there was an error *smile*
  • also a constant error in your smiles lol :p
    The first "out" Buddhist I met was a Thai vegetarian. lol!
  • Meat Stuck in Your Teeth

Sensual desire is something hard to escape from. It's no different from eating meat and getting a piece of meat stuck in your teeth. Boy, does it hurt! Even before you finish the meal, you have to take a toothpick to get it out. Once it's out you feel relieved for a while and you don't want to eat meat anymore. But when more meat comes your way, another piece gets stuck in your teeth. You take it out again and you feel relieved again. That's all there is to sensual desire: nothing more than a piece of meat stuck in your teeth. You feel agitated and unsettled, and then you get it out of your system in whatever the way. You don't understand what it's all about. It's crazy.

from
    "In Simple Terms: 108 Dhamma Similes", by Ajahn Chah, translated from the Thai by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 4 April 2011, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/chah/insimpleterms.html . Retrieved on 20 October 2011.

One could make the sample also for with a vegetable filament *smile*
  • auraaura Veteran
    There are some very advanced practices that require strict vegetarianism due to health and safety concerns that arise from eating meat and subsequently engaging in those specific practices. Supposedly if one's blood is at all "sticky" from eating meat, some very advanced practices can be lethal via cerebral hemorrhage.
  • Hey Everyone, thanks for your insight:) I did practice vegetarianism because I LOVE animals... And I don't feel like something else should have to suffer for my benefit.
    Maybe my doctor is ignorant on this, but I think what she was trying to do was help me. I'm awaiting my diagnosis, they think it's Inflammatory Bowel disease and I'm not absorbing my nutrients from food like I should be, and am incredibly malnourished. Maybe it is that I am ignorant on how to replace my B vitamins and protein without eating meat and I need to look down that avenue myself. My first step when I get my diagnosis is to see a holistic nutritionist. Maybe that will help. :) Anyway, thanks everyone for your input. I suppose I asked this question because I feel a tremendous amount of guilt for eating meat since I cannot afford to buy free range and organic. I hope everyone has a very pleasant day :)
    Melissa
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Maybe my doctor is ignorant on this
    98% chance of that being true. :) Typical doctors have very little, if any, nutritional training.

You mean "Christian" not Christian. Big difference.
  • Follow your conscience and your doctor's recommendations. Bear in mind that lots of Buddhists eat meat, including most Tibetans, so you're in good company. We won't kick you off the forum for eating meat once or twice/week. ;) Even the Dalai Lama eats meat. A "middle way", where you're eating vegetarian a few times a week, is a noble compromise. :)

Just a few recent notes about what's been transpiring in Tibet; it's definitely undergoing a radical change at the monastic level, at least.

Tha Dalai Lama only eats meat because he was diagnosed with anemia while young and told he would live a longer healthier life if he ate meat.

I believe that most or all of the largest Gelugpa monasteries are now vegetarian.

The 17th Karmapa is vegetarian, I believe and has ordered no meat to be served in affiliated Kagyu monasteries:

"# No meat is to be prepared in the kitchen of any Kagyu Monastery or Centre.
    # No one is to be involved in the business of buying and selling meat – for all of his students this practice must stop.
    # There is to be no killing of animals on Kagyu premises.
    # Karmapa is aware of monks in robes going to buy meat and does not want to see this ever again."

BTW, I haven't cooked meat at home in 7 years or so (and I cook nearly every day) but I still do eat meat on weekends. I generally am vegetarian during the week. I worked myself up from one day per week. This may be a good way to start for those who eat meat and want to at least make some effort. It's relatively painless doing it this way and one can rejoice with each day added.
  • edited October 2011
    Thais live in the most Buddhist country on earth and they love meat.

I have to agree with this... maybe I'm interpreting your words differently from what you mean, but just because Buddhism is the "national religion" it does not mean that the people who live there and claim to be Buddhist, actually practice in a strict manner. Like I said, the first Buddhist I met who was openly practicing Buddhism (she meditated in the lounge at our workplace) is a vegetarian.

That's not to say you can't be Buddhist if you eat meat, but vegetarianism and Buddhism are highly compatible practices.

@Dreadgurl, I hope you are able to find a diet that suits your moral views and medical needs!
  • That's all good advice and information. Please note however, that some people actually *need* more meat than that for health reasons (much like HHDL). My acupuncturist/TCM physician has strongly recommended I eat meat simply because I've lost 10% of my already low body weight in the past year (stress from school, etc), and am having a devil of a time regaining it. I'm at what I consider barely a healthy weight, and am fighting a constant battle to maintain that, much less gain back to a more normal healthy weight for me.

So I'm eating meat. Not lots, but I'm eating it. I may someday stop completely (which I'd like to do), but for now I'm eating it. You shouldn't stop eating meat if there's an underlying health reason *to* eat it.
  • I agree with you Mountains on this...some people would be causing suffering to themselves by not eating it, so I think if it's done in a mindful and thankful way that it's okay.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Please bear in mind that one cannot eat what one is allergic to and get away with it for long... vegetarian or not.... the body will suffer inflammation.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    The Dalai Lama "needed" meat because they only thing he was eating when he went vegetarian was nuts and milk and that's it... In other words, the DL was totally clueless as to how to eat as a vegetarian, so were his doctors. :) The DL needed food besides nuts and milk, because he was clueless. :)
  • ajnast4rajnast4r Veteran
    edited October 2011
    Please note however, that some people actually *need* more meat than that for health reasons .
    respectfully i must say this is not true... not a matter of opinion, but fact. physiologically, no human needs meat in any situation diseased or healthy.

situational things may come up... lack of access to vegetarian food, etc etc. but im speaking physiologically, from a medical standpoint.
  • "I allow anything falling while being presented to be picked up by oneself and eaten. Why is that? Because it has been relinquished by the benefactors." — Cv.V.26

"One should not consume human flesh. Whoever should do so: a grave offense. And one should not consume meat without having reflected on it (on what it is). Whoever should do so: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.VI.23.9

"One should not consume elephant flesh ... horse flesh ... dog flesh ... snake flesh ... lion flesh ... tiger flesh ... leopard flesh ... bear flesh ... hyena flesh. Whoever should do so: an offense of wrong doing." — Mv.VI.23.10-15

"One should not knowingly consume meat killed on purpose (for a bhikkhu). Whoever should consume it: an offense of wrong doing. I allow fish and meat that is pure in three respects: One has not seen, heard, or suspected (that it was killed on purpose for a bhikkhu)." — Mv.VI.31.14

"I allow all fruit that is non-staple." — Mv.VI.38

"A mango is not to be consumed. Whoever should consume one: an offense of wrong doing." — Cv.V.5.1 (This rule was later repealed by the rules at Cv.V.5.2)

"I allow mango peels." ... "I allow that fruit made allowable for contemplatives in any of five ways be consumed: damaged by fire, damaged by a knife, damaged by a fingernail, seedless, or with the seeds removed. I allow that fruit made allowable for contemplatives in any of these five ways be consumed." — Cv.V.5.2

"I allow that fruit that has not been made allowable be consumed if it is without seeds, or if the seeds are discharged." — Mv.VI.21

"Although green gram, even when digested, sprouts, I allow that green gram be consumed as much as you like (§)." — Mv.VI.16.2

"I allow conjey and honey-lumps." — Mv.VI.24.7

"When invited to a certain place, one should not consume the eating-conjey of another (donor). Whoever should consume it is to be dealt with in accordance with the rule (Pc 33)." — Mv.VI.25.7

"I allow the five products of a cow: milk, curds, buttermilk, butter, ghee." — Mv.VI.34.21

"I allow eight juice drinks: mango juice drink, rose apple juice drink, seed-banana juice drink, seedless banana juice drink, madhu (Bassia pierrei? Bassia latifolia?) juice drink, grape juice drink, water-lily root juice drink, phārusaka (Bouea burmanica (Anacardiaceae)?) juice drink. I allow all fruit juice except for the juice of grain. I allow all leaf-juice except for the juice of cooked (§) vegetables. I allow all flower juice except for the juice of liquorice flowers. I allow fresh sugar cane juice." — Mv.VI.35.6

"I allow all vegetables and all non-staple foods made with flour." — Mv.VI.36.8

"Garlic should not be eaten. Whoever should eat it: an offense of wrong doing." — Cv.V.34.1

"I allow that garlic be eaten in the event of illness." — Cv.V.34.2

---------

there are many useful things if one is interested to understand the message behind.

"Buddhist Monastic Code II: Chapter 4 (on Food)", by Thanissaro Bhikkhu. Access to Insight, 16 June 2011, http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc2/bmc2.ch04.html . Retrieved on 21 October 2011.

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited October 2011
    It would be good to explore this question not only from the point of view of the (limited) perspective of Western medicine/physiology, but also systems such as TCM. I believe there are energetic properties to foods we eat, something the Western nutritional science doesn't acknowledge.
    edited October 2011
    @hanzze... really excellent post, thank you.

so according to this passage:

"One should not knowingly consume meat killed on purpose (for a bhikkhu). Whoever should consume it: an offense of wrong doing. I allow fish and meat that is pure in three respects: One has not seen, heard, or suspected (that it was killed on purpose for a bhikkhu)." — Mv.VI.31.14

this quote, to me, seems like it should make most modern buddhists into vegetarians. wouldnt modern commercial meat be 'killed on purpose for..' you, as the consumer? it may not have your name on it, but it is killed for you as the consuming public?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2011
    @ajnast4r: we're talking specifics here. The animal would have to be killed for you, with you in mind. I believe.

I am a vegetarian, and confess, it's down to the fact that the protein gives me excessive cramp attacks in my leg.
    And I do mean, C-R-A-M-P.
    Debilitating, agonising, crippling, tear-producing, sleep-depriving cramp.
    It's a long story, but I suffered a back injury, and my sciatic nerve was partially paralysed. My left leg doesn't function to its full ability.
    I gave up meat for a while, (rather like a Lent thing) and I realised, during this time, that my cramps disappeared completely.
    And red meat is worst, followed by poultry, and then fish.
    Fish, I can eat, but if I eat it on 2 consecutive days, I get cramp the second night....
    I am not sufficiently medically experienced to be able to say why this should be. Perhaps @Mountains can provide a clue. But I advised my Doctor (who has been prescribing me Quinine Sulphate 200mg against the cramp) that this had happened, and they found it interesting, but could also not say why that would be. So I guess most Doctors are not dieticians or nutritionists.

I miss meat - but not as much as I thought I would.
    And the less I eat meat, the less I want it.
  • edited October 2011

Tha Dalai Lama only eats meat because he was diagnosed with anemia while young and told he would live a longer healthier life if he ate meat.
    So this proves that contrary to an earlier comment, there are medical conditions that require the patient eat meat. That's the only point I was trying to make there.

I'm aware the new Karmapa is introducing the idea of vegetarianism, that's great. I wasn't speaking of monastics when I said Tibetans love meat. All the Tibetans I know in the US love meat. According to reports by friends who've lived in India, most lay Tibetans in India eat meat. And certainly, in the harsh conditions of the Tibetan plateau, where it's difficult to grow vegetables, eating meat was a necessity. Mongols (also Buddhists) all eat meat. Tibetan monks visiting Taiwan have been photographed eating meat, in spite of the ubiquitous delicious vegetarian restaurants. And there are some funny stories about Tibetan lamas attending conferences in the US and being served vegetarian food. They say they managed to get through the meal by "using your mind to enjoy the food", meaning, they had to make a big effort to psych themselves to get the food down.

Let's not give the OP a hard time for needing to eat meat. It's only twice a week, after all. She's following her conscience the other 5 days out of the week, with, I assume, her doc's approval. I think this is a good compromise under the circumstances, a good Middle Way. Let's cut the OP some slack. Her heart's in the right place, and it sounds like her doc is flexible enough to take her preference and commitment into consideration and work out a compromise.

• @Dreadgurl - The only person qualified to advise you on your personal dietary needs, with a medial condition in mind, is a qualified dietician. Not a GP, not anyone on this forum, not any website or book. If the doctor you saw wasn't a dietician, it might be worth trying to get a referral to see one.

Note: a dietician and a nutritionist are NOT the same thing. Anyone can set up as a 'nutritionist' without any qualifications or experience whatsoever.
  • @Dreadgurl - The only person qualified to advise you on your personal dietary needs, with a medial condition in mind, is a qualified dietician. Not a GP, not anyone on this forum, not any website or book. If the doctor you saw wasn't a dietician, it might be worth trying to get a referral to see one.

Note: a dietician and a nutritionist are NOT the same thing. Anyone can set up as a 'nutritionist' without any qualifications or experience whatsoever.
    Hi, thanks I appreciate the advice :) I think this got out of hand with battling back and forth, all I really wanted to know was if it was "essential" to practicing buddhism to be a vegetarian. I got the answer i was looking for which is that it's not all black and white. There are always grey areas in our lives. I think we need to do what we all feel in our hearts is the right thing.

Have a great weekend everyone.
    Peace
    edited October 2011

So this proves that contrary to an earlier comment, there are medical conditions that require the patient eat meat. That's the only point I was trying to make there.
    this would only be necessary if devoid of the knowledge or situational ability to eat a proper vegetarian diet. the point i'm trying to make is there are only situational needs to eat meat, but there is nothing physiologically required by humans within meat that is not found in other foods.

please dont let this/these posts be mistaken for giving OP or anyone a hard time... i am talking strictly about the facts of human nutrition, not the ethical/karmic. implications of eating meat
  • Justify the moral issues any way you want. Make your decision, live with the consequences. Perhaps our outlook would be different if we had to slaughter the animals ourselves, rather than pay someone to do it for us.

There are several videos available exposing modern killing factories and the flesh industry's negative effect on our enviornment. We need to educate ourselves and not stick our head in the sand regarding this very very important issue.

Namaste
  • Justify the moral issues any way you want. Make your decision, live with the consequences. Perhaps our outlook would be different if we had to slaughter the animals ourselves, rather than pay someone to do it for us.

There are several videos available exposing modern killing factories and the flesh industry's negative effect on our enviornment. We need to educate ourselves and not stick our head in the sand regarding this very very important issue.

Namaste
    Just in response, although I think you have right intentions, not everyone's reality is equal... and what you find moral or just isn't the same as anothers. You may want to contemplate Spiritual Superiority...

For example, we pass judgement on the person driving down the road in the Hummer thinking "Wow, is that really necessary?? it's terrible for the environment!", we judge that person, but what we don't know is that they were in an accident in a small car in which their child was paralyzed and how they choose a larger vehicle to protect their family and safety... Like I said all things are not black and white. We all judge in this manner, but have to catch ourselves in the action and detach from it. Otherwise what is the point of your spiritual practice??? If it puts expectations or demands on people other than yourself??? Just something to think about.
  • respectfully i must say this is not true... not a matter of opinion, but fact. physiologically, no human needs meat in any situation diseased or healthy.

situational things may come up... lack of access to vegetarian food, etc etc. but im speaking physiologically, from a medical standpoint.
    It's true you can survive without meat, but a qualified physician (and I'm an RN) advised me to eat meat. Like most things in medicine, it's more about an opinion than hard and fast rules. In my case, I need it, so I'm eating it.
    edited October 2011

It's true you can survive without meat, but a qualified physician (and I'm an RN) advised me to eat meat. Like most things in medicine, it's more about an opinion than hard and fast rules. In my case, I need it, so I'm eating it.
    Please do not take this message as being arrogant & I hope you aren't offended...

Physicians get very little to no training in nutrition, depending on when they finished their schooling. Physicians generally are not considered a reliable source for nutrition information in a clinical setting, only a dietitian is. I'm nearly finished with a BS in dietetics & I assure you there is nothing in meat essential to humans that is not available sources that do not require harming the animal (milk, eggs, etc). This information is factual and verifiable.

• Factory farming milk, and eggs cause the animal suffering just as much as killing for meat.
  • Factory farming milk, and eggs cause the animal suffering just as much as killing for meat.
    agreed, if not more! but there are sources for cruelty free diary and eggs available... even an organization that certifies diary and egg farms cruelty free exists.

a few good examples:

http://www.organicpastures.com/index.html
    http://vitalfarms.com/
    http://www.strausfamilycreamery.com/

• @Dreadgurl In the US (I can't speak for other places) It is very easy and generally legal to keep a few hens for fresh eggs. They are great composters and produce some good fertilizer. They are fun to watch: they have a societal structure, different noises, etc. Quite easy and enjoyable. Some people even have indoor chicken, which wear diapers to prevent messes in the house. Milk is a hard one because ultimately you have to keep the cow producing milk, when in reality it would stop producing after the calf stopped suckling.
  • Hi!
    Please share your insight on this topic if you wish. I used to be a vegetarian because I didn't agree with how animals are abused and mistreated in the factory farming industry. Under strict instructions from my doctor due to some health issues, I was to begin eating meat once or twice a week. Is it a necessity of practicing buddhism to eat a vegetarian diet? Or can mindful and thankful eating be enough?
    I live on a farm and we butcher our animals ( goats and hogs ) . We feed them and take care of them everyday for many months before we slaughter them. For me it is like picking a tomato when it is ripe. I shoot them in the head with a 22 rifle and they are "gone" in seconds. Until that time they live in open pastures or big pens and are cared for and even petted occasionally. I actually love the animals. If this is too graphic of a description for some people to hear, i would suggest that you quit eating meat all together. Factory production of every kind of meat is big business and the conditions they are raised in are usually horrific.
    There is a story that the "Buddha" died from eating tainted pork! :)

• auraaura Veteran
    Meat (and the salt put on it) stimulates the adrenals to produce corticosteroids, and when those corticosteroids wear off, that withdrawal can cause muscle cramping.
  • @hanzze... really excellent post, thank you.

so according to this passage:

this quote, to me, seems like it should make most modern buddhists into vegetarians. wouldnt modern commercial meat be 'killed on purpose for..' you, as the consumer? it may not have your name on it, but it is killed for you as the consuming public?
    No, as the Buddha never thought of being a ruler, it means that you reduce suffering by your own actions and that you act as a sample for others but not being hypocritical.

We often have the thought of king, ruler, god in our mind and that the world would be better if it looks the way I like.
    Buddhist practice is about focusing on your intention, and if your intention is to eat pleasant food and much food, that it would be even if you eat vegetable cause more suffering as necessary.

Its not about finding a way to keep the seek of pleasant feelings alive while thinking to act good. That is not possible and is the main different to all others ideas of gaining real peace.

Judge your intention and watch your feelings *smile*
  • For sure if many people focus on the real problem the market change in a natural way, but the intention is not to change the market, we have to be victors of our self first otherwise its always fake. *smile*

• There are several videos available exposing modern killing factories and the flesh industry's negative effect on our enviornment. We need to educate ourselves and not stick our head in the sand regarding this very very important issue.
    Namaste
    Or, we can shop at Whole Foods and local food co-ops that buy meat only from ranchers who allow their animals to range freely, and who treat them humanely.

Ok, guys, we're steering this topic into the realms of politics and propaganda. We've seen it happen before, and it's happening now. The question the OP asked was whether it is necessary for a Buddhist to be vegetarian.
    I think the OP has received a good general overview, and can probably take it form here.

We have countless threads on vegetarianism descending to depths of what can only sometimes be called a Moral pissing-contest.

Really, it's all been said before.

Many thanks to all who contributed, and thanks to the OP for giving us another shot at it.....
This discussion has been closed.