Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is it OK to want??

ArnArn
edited November 2011 in Philosophy
This thread is intended as a technical discussion of what, under the general buddhist philosphy, is considered an acceptable desire/need/want.

A few of us have attempted to discuss this on other threads and it has become a bit clouded by the examples being used. So let me set the ground rules for this discussion:

- ANY EXAMPLES USED ARE SIMPLY EXAMPLES!!! Please dont get caught up in your passion for a particular issue, but please do explain why/why-not doing/not-doing may further us on the path to freedom from suffering, or at least not hold us back from this goal.
- I know there are rules for monks that are different to those of lay people, and I'm not interested in those monastic order rules. We're talking lay people here.

So back to the question: is there a line we shouldnt cross? Are we, ultimately, fooling ourselves when we try to justify actions to meet certain desires?

As an example :thumbsup: , is it OK to wear makeup? If I have low self esteem because of extreme acne and makeup allows me to concentrate better on my meditation is that OK? If I feel more beautiful and can be more compassionate to others as a result of wearing makeup in public, is that OK?

Or is all this just avoiding opening up to the pain/hurt of the underlying issue, avoiding giving up that attachment? In my mind it is easy to say yes in regard to the example of makeup. But what if it is a much deeper issue, lets say a desire for companionship. This sort of desire is really really deeply rooted in most of us. Is this something that we accept as simply part of being human and to acknowledge the feeling of loneliness when alone, and love the feeling of companionship when it is there? Where do we "draw the line"?

What do you think?

Comments

• in my humble opinion all desires are okay.
    as long as you keep a steady practice of meditation.
    but beware! oh beware! meditation will deconstruct everything.

when a desire arises, i give it space.

what is the desire selling? conditional happiness. the assertion that all is not perfect right now.

examine that. is it true?

a desire is just a thought. but we use desires to create space. in such space we discover ourselves.

this answers your question indirectly, but you have to do the real work on the cushion.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Wait -
    So we're speaking strictly on lay terms, right? We're not talking about things that may be a hindrance on attaining enlightenment? Well, okay then. I have 1 rule to give you which you may choose to follow if you wish:

Do whatever you want as long as it does not cause harm to you or to others.

Pretty much answers most of these questions then.
  • @mindgate actually I think I *am* talking about things that may be a hindrance to attaining enlightenment - the goal is complete freedom from suffering.

@taiyaki, I gather you are saying that each of us needs to come to the answer to my question by themselves, to experience the answer themselves, possibly using meditation?
    edited November 2011
    @mindgate actually I think I *am* talking about things that may be a hindrance to attaining enlightenment - the goal is complete freedom from suffering.
    If you need to know if something is okay to do, if something may be a hindrance, ask yourself, "What would Buddha do?"

If Buddha was a woman, would she date, wear make-up, etc etc?

Please don't attack me for this.
  • Householder-followers of the Buddha became enlightened. Married householders, so they say. Which means it's not impossible.
    Householder-followers of the Buddha became enlightened. Married householders, so they say. Which means it's not impossible.
    Did they stay married after they became enlightened?
  • Good question. I don't think the scriptures say, but I wouldn't know.
  • Householder-followers of the Buddha became enlightened. Married householders, so they say. Which means it's not impossible.
    i had read the opposite... the the Buddha said laymen had reached high states but none had become liberated. can you post a link to where you read that ?
    edited November 2011
    I'll give you my opinion personally, about the whole make-up bit since you talked about that.

I find myself unattractive. I have always found myself to be this way. Though, I don't let it bother me and I have never let it bother me. I just don't understand why people want to try to make themselves look what the media portrays as attractive. To me, it doesn't matter at all. I will one day die and what I looked like will not matter at all. Even though I am a jerk, I see actions being vastly more important than looks.

Why is what you look like important to you? Is it because you want a partner? If so, that is understandable. Lucky for me, I found one that doesn't care what I look like. I wish for you that you find someone like this as well, if that is your goal to find someone.

You may want to ask yourself why you act happier when you look "better," though. Maybe I just don't understand people and am completely socially retarded, but I have never understood this.
  • i think by OK you mean skillfull, correct?

using your example of acne and makeup, from my understand... if wearing makeup allows you to better focus on your practice, then yes wearing makeup would be skillful. what would be unskillful would be to then ignore what is making you feel insecure to begin with... essentially turning off the alarm and leaving the fire burning.

skillfulness really needs to be applied on an individual basis imo

edited November 2011
    @ajnast4r

I'm not saying what you said is wrong, but rather than covering our insecurities up with make-up (literally and figuratively speaking), shouldn't we try to get rid of them at its core? Rather than trying to make ourselves look all nice with make-up and stuff to boost our confidence, shouldn't we wonder why we need all this make-up to begin with? Shouldn't we fine the cause of this insecurity and then learn to accept ourselves as we are?

I just see this issue, and many other things, as temporary bandages. They won't help the problem at its root cause.

Just a thought. This is my thought process. Surely its not everyones.
  • @ajnast4r I wish I had a sutric passage to quote on that. I read it on this forum several times. Maybe in the course of this discussion, someone will post a link to where that is in the sutras.
  • Milarepa said you could just rest with the energies when you were very sick. Take no medicine.

But most practioners take an advil when they have a headache. And thats ok. Same with make-up.
  • Anything in moderation
    Milarepa said you could just rest with the energies when you were very sick. Take no medicine.

But most practioners take an advil when they have a headache. And thats ok. Same with make-up.
    Yes, but the Buddha teaches us to be okay without the advil. Clearly, some one who gets all upset because they can't wear make-up is not doing it correctly.
  • Hmm, the makeup thing. well how many women wore maeup in Buddhas day? I think that the crux of it still is attachment rather than what you do for many things. I wear makeup, that is just part of the professional look in my field and the culture I live in. I am not attached to it any more than thinking my work clothes are somehow more 'me' than anything else. Ilike the Quaker idea of non-conforming freely. I read one person who decided that wearing more 'fashionable' clothes actually was better because wearing a strict Quaker dress in modern high school drew more attention than was her purpose.

I know it doesn't deal with the underlying issues however if we are to have compassion for ourselves as well as others then take care of it compassionately. Is your goal to look professional, to not draw unnecessary attention away from your work or social situation, do you just like it and don't feel like it is essential? So many ways to see it.
  • edited November 2011
    @MindGate - I get what you are saying. The thing is though, we have to reflect on what's most skillful for us depending on our own individual circumstances. This is situational; there are no concrete, set-in-stone answers - and there shouldn't be. For example, sometimes wearing makeup isn't about our own insecurities. It's about others' condescending remarks which may be distracting, and as @AHeerdt put it - draws unnecessary attention away from one's work or social situation.

We can't expect all lay Buddhists to uphold the vinaya in its entirety and live like monks or nuns. The Buddha never did. That's why he only suggested the 5 precepts for lay followers (or 8 precepts on special occasions). The question, especially for lay Buddhists, is how skillful our actions are in given circumstances. "What would Buddha do?" or "what would a monastic do?" are such high expectations for lay Buddhists - and although such questions may seem pretty noble, they are an unrealistic bar for lay Buddhists hold themselves to.
    @ajnast4r I wish I had a sutric passage to quote on that. I read it on this forum several times. Maybe in the course of this discussion, someone will post a link to where that is in the sutras.
    It's in AN 6.131 - 151. It lists 21 lay followers that were arahants. Compared to the number of arahant monks and nuns, that is a very, very small number. However, it is still possible. I can't find a transcript of it online anywhere, but there's a list of them in section 15.2 of this pdf.
  • So back to the question: is there a line we shouldnt cross? Are we, ultimately, fooling ourselves when we try to justify actions to meet certain desires?

As an example :thumbsup: , is it OK to wear makeup? If I have low self esteem because of extreme acne and makeup allows me to concentrate better on my meditation is that OK? If I feel more beautiful and can be more compassionate to others as a result of wearing makeup in public, is that OK?
    I think there is some jumbled up stuff going on in here. On the surface, yes its fine to wear makeup, it is not delusion that it increases your self esteem and helps you feel more confident. Perhaps it is a crutch, but crutches are a perfect and fine tool to use when we have other things going on. One of the traps of reading ideal visions is that we try to make changes that we are not ready for.

Something my teacher used use to explain this to me is thinking of our mindful practice as growing a tree. When the roots are new and tender, we are correct to keep them safe. We do what we can to let it grow hearty and tall. When the roots are thick and dig deep, then we can approach our attachments more skillfully and without pain.

Perhaps one day makeup will be unnecessary for you, but not today. And that is more than just ok, it is wonderful.

Instead of trying to shed our attachments, we grow our roots. We meditate, study dharma, let go of the mind's criticisms and habits. Then, as our roots grow strong, attachments generally fall away. The ones that are strong habits we have to invest more into, but it is more like "ok, now i see it is good time to do this" rather than "arg, I need to stop doing this."

The line not to cross (if there is one) is expressed in the precepts... working to overcome patterns of stealing, lying, sexual misconduct, drunkedness, and killing. These actions specifically inhibit the growth of the roots, and so need to be abandoned if one is serious about the practice. The rest will come in time, when you're ready.
  • edited November 2011
    @aMatt that is a wonderful metaphor! It's a great way to put things in perspective. There is a time and place for everything. Trying to "prematurely" shed certain attachments may prove unskillful, as people may become disheartened with the path and give up. Buddhism is a "gradual training". It's not "all or nothing".
    edited November 2011
    For example, sometimes wearing makeup isn't about our own insecurities. It's about others' condescending remarks which may be distracting, and as @AHeerdt put it - draws unnecessary attention away from one's work or social situation.
    This is something I didn't touch on, and I agree. Sometimes, in the appropriate situations, its perfectly fine. Like having a job where looks matter, or even a job interview.

I just have an issue with the whole insecurity bit, though. If you have a bad day simply because you don't feel pretty, there is an issue which needs to be tended do without using temporary coping mechanisms. Like I said, though, just my opinion. :) Take it with a grain of salt. I'd recommend not going overboard with the make-up, though, like some people...

some_text
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread! Thanks!:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2011
    Hmm, the makeup thing. well how many women wore maeup in Buddhas day?
    Nearly all of them. henna markings on the skin, khajal on the eyes, (incidentally, worn today by men and women alike) and let's not talk about jewellery, earrings, adornments and embellishments of that kind.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    This thread is intended as a technical discussion of what, under the general buddhist philosphy, is considered an acceptable desire/need/want.

A few of us have attempted to discuss this on other threads and it has become a bit clouded by the examples being used. ......

What do you think?
    I also think that @MindGate got more than he bargained for and requested his thread be shut, and that you're cruising for much of the same.
    People need to make their own minds up, about what is personally acceptable for them, if they're not members of the ordained community.
    I think questions like this rouse so many different answers, that there is no definitive single answer; thus, each must find his or her own way.

See the link provided by Jason in this thread:

Everything else is just side-salad.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/12924/is-buddhism-compatible-with-common-life-goals-e.g.-marriage-a-house-a-family#Item_2

• I have been taught (in the Tibetan Kagyu tradition) that we should love and appreciate all the good things life has to offer (including partners, children, a good job, money, sex...) but without clinging, without believing that these things are essential to our happiness.

The transience of life, its fragility, is the thing that makes it beautiful, like a rare orchid. Don't despise it, but accept that it is impermanent. It will pass; life will change, so it is crazy to try to cling on to it. Just as, if we pick the orchid, hoping to keep it, it will die even quicker.

Some people need and want a monastic life; for most it is not possible (we have to remember 2/3rds of the world live hand-to-mouth and cannot choose careers, even for a noble cause). Not everyone can be a monk, including even some lamas in my tradition, who marry. But we shouldn't use that as an excuse not to practice - our practice should *be* our life, whatever that life is.

As for what we shouldn't do, the five precepts are our guide, but fundamentally, we should avoid anything that harms other people, or causes us to harm other people. So getting drunk, becoming addicted to drugs, lying and slandering other people, manipulating them for our own ends etc. All of these things are 'unskillful' and to be avoided.

Remember that there is no difference between 'you' and 'me': we are all one. What hurts one, hurts all of us. So we must be kind to one another and to ourselves, and show wise compassion to all. At least, that is our goal (I'll let you know when I get there! For now, I've lost my halo).

To answer the question "What is it OK to want?", the answer is you can want anything, provided it isn't harmful and provided you understand that it is impermanent. But the best things to want are those things that help yourself and your fellow beings achieve liberation from suffering.
  • edited November 2011
    If you are talking about someone on the path to enlightenment (not the average layman like us), then you should not want ANYTHING. To want means to wish for or desire for, and if you don't get what you want you suffer, even if mildly. So if you are enlightened and suffer no more, there is of course no "wants" involved.

You might ask then what should an enlightened one do when he is hungry or thirsty? Simple, ask for food from others or obtain food himself. The difference is that the act of seeking food should arise from pure understanding of the need to survive, not driven by the pain of hunger or expected pleasure of food. If someone rejected your request for food, you dun feel bad but just calmly continue your search elsewhere.

So can a devoted Buddhist wear makeup? In my opinion yes he/she can, it is the reason for wearing makeup that counts. If makeup helps in whatever noble act you are doing, not driven by pain or pleasure, go ahead. But if makeup is only for your self-esteem, sorry no.

"If it's to the advantage of your reasonable self, seize hold of it. If it's merely to the advantage of your animal self, admit it and don't try to pretend it's more than that. Only be sure of your judgement." Meditation, Marcus Aurelias.

P.S. Sorry if sometimes I mix non-Buddhist stuffs together, I just think it is the end result that counts, not the means.
  • @aMatt, that is indeed a beautiful description and makes a lot of sense, and I think it answers most of my question.

@federica, I knew I was taking a risk but the question is such an important one to me at this time, and really this would have to be the nicest forums community I've ever encountered!

Thanks everyone for your contributions, they are really insightful! I have lots of fuel for my upcoming meditation sessions.

• In my opinion there are two skillful desires which will lead to liberation, enlightenment, and the eventual cessation of all desire.

There is the desire for one's personal liberation.

and

There is the desire for the liberation of others.
  • In my opinion there are two skillful desires which will lead to liberation, enlightenment, and the eventual cessation of all desire.

There is the desire for one's personal liberation.

and

There is the desire for the liberation of others.
    Which, since 'ourselves' and 'others' are only separate entities, due to delusion, is basically the same thing.

• Which, since 'ourselves' and 'others' are only separate entities, due to delusion, is basically the same thing.
    Is there an analytical basis to this, just out of interest?

• @ada_b
    exactly ;)

Which, since 'ourselves' and 'others' are only separate entities, due to delusion, is basically the same thing.
    Is there an analytical basis to this, just out of interest?

Of course. Dependent origination, Emptiness, self/Not-self interconnectedness - all the same thing.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @ Mindgate
    There's the example of Gopi Krishna, who suddenly and unexpectedly found himself in the middle of a prolonged Kundalini rising that lasted years. After it settled down, judging by his ideas, his lectures, his discussion of the experience, I'd say he was enlightened. He stayed married, but he had to forego sex with his wife early on in the experience. So if a householder becomes enlightened and stays married, it doesn't necessarily mean they're married because they're attached to sensual gratification.

Back to the make-up question, and similar questions on other threads (the example AHeerdt gives of having to dress up and wear make-up for work), it all depends on your relationship to the use of these things. If make-up and a certain type of clothing are a required part of the work "uniform", and you're not attached to fashion, it's in keeping with Buddhist principles. But I think that society being what it is, if someone has a deformity, or even "mere" acne, it's ok to do what you need to do to minimize the visibility of that. Because people can be remarkably thoughtless, even cruel. If it helps your day go smoothly, and keeps the awkward or thoughtless remarks at bay, do what you have to do.

The thing is, most of the Buddha's teachings that have come down to us are to monks. We can't use that as a standard for householders. He clearly had a different standard for householders, in the few texts that record those teachings. To apply his standards for monks to householders would be overly restrictive, and does come across as Puritanical.

Buddhist mythology describes the Buddha as s being beautiful to look at, due to the ripening of much positive past karma. He (if he'd been a she) wouldn't have needed make-up. "She" would have been a nun. That doesn't mean we all have to be celibate and reject personal adornment.

• @Dakini, thats again interesting and opens up another aspect of my question that I wasnt able to put into words yesterday. Let me see if I can do that today:

We may be unattached to the need to wear makeup to work and only do so to reduce awkwardness and allow work to go smoothly - but is this really an attachment to the need to reduce conflict at work?

Similarly was Gopi Krishna avoiding confronting his kundalini rising by avoiding sex? And when he'd developed the habit of not having sex it merely presented an outward appearance of freedom from attachment?

Being well presented at work (perhaps with makeup) may be skillful by demonstrating compassion to others by reducing conflict. Similarly I'd say having sex in a relationship may be skillful because it may increase the bond between the couple who are not yet enlightened. But is taking those actions avoiding acknowledging the hidden attachments we may have?

To turn those two examples around (do or not-do, they are the same arent they?):
    If I have an attachment to makeup and I allow myself to indulge in it and through that action I find compassion for my workmates and freedom from attachment for everything else, and the fact that I am wearing makeup is almost forgotten, have I achieved enlightenment?

If I am uninhibited in my sex life with my partner (perhaps even as a meditative act), and discover unattachment to all other thingss, have I discovered enlightenment?

The intent of my question is the same as this: if Buddha were given a choice between a nutritious pile of dung or a nutritious vege burger, why wouldnt he chose the burger? Most of what I'm hearing, and the examples given of the enlightened ones seems to have them eating the dung.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Well, I was referring more to jobs where make-up is required. There are such workplaces; they require women to wear make-up in order to have what the company considers to be a professional look.

Your question is basically; are we justifying our attachments by saying we're just doing this or that for acceptable reasons. In that case, we have to be truthful with ourselves. In the case of someone who uses make-up to hide acne, or who wears a wig after losing her hair in cancer treatment (another example), I say do what you have to do to get through each day without people pointing at you and making thoughtless remarks. I suppose an enlightened being wouldn't care about the public reaction to deformities or whatever. When we get to enlightenment, we can let go of these little disguises.

That last question packs a punch! Actually, in some of the highest rituals in Tibetan Buddhism, they do eat dung to prove that they've risen above "mundane" reality and have attained an elightened state in which cake, veggie burger or dung are all the same. (The Dalai Lama has discussed this, in case anyone doesn't believe me, and it's in tantric texts.) However, I'm pretty sure the Buddha wouldn't do that. He didn't do well after eating some spoiled meat. In fact,he died from it.

Oh, and about Gopi Krishna. He had to avoid sex, because of the nature of the Kundalini energy roaring through his body. Sex makes it worse. For those who haven't done adequate preparation, anyway (I forget we have members who are very advanced and have a very different experience of Kundalini than the average person.) He also had to switch to a vegetarian diet--his body became too sensitive to handle meat. I don't recall all the details, but it's a fascinating story. I believe the title of the book is "Living With Kundalini". It should be available very inexpensively on Amazon. There's also a collection of his lectures sponsored by the United Nations that are fascinating. In case you're interested.
    We may be unattached to the need to wear makeup to work and only do so to reduce awkwardness and allow work to go smoothly - but is this really an attachment to the need to reduce conflict at work?
    I personally see nothing wrong with that at all. I don't think its attachment. Though, I could be wrong.
  • In Buddhism, whatever works, works.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    this article talks about how make up is a simple tool to enhance a concept of "attractiveness" that is already hardwired into us. make up provides contrast, which is somehow linked to femininity in our minds. even blush mimics the redness that ovulation causes in a woman's cheeks. from an artist's standpoint, i can agree that a line of eyeliner makes the eyes much more bold and striking.
  • If we must "want" then... Food, water,shelter,love. Not necessarily in that order. The first 3 are for survival physically, and of course the last for emotional survival. Clothing,depending on the climate,perhaps. The rest is pretty much extraneous.

I am still baffled about the makeup arguments. Maybe because as a man it's just not important to me.

Regarding personal appearance:

From my personal experiences in life, attractiveness in a person is less about looks and more about personality, what's inside. I have dated what could be considered "pretty" women, and I have dated what could be considered "homely" women. A lot of stock is placed in looks, and being shallow so to speak. Look at the heat Julia Roberts took when she married Lyle Lovett. Ridiculous.

The one pretty woman I am thinking of was very attractive to look at, however once I got to know her after a couple of years of being together her looks disappeared for me. Her personality became undesirable, and looks to me were not a factor in making me stay. An arm-charm was not what I needed.

One of the women I dated I was not initially attracted to physically, however once I was around her more I was highly attracted to her, sexually and emotionally. We had great chemistry. We parted because of exigent circumstances, sadly.

So, if you are unattractive physically AND a jerk, you will come across as ugly. If you are unattractive and positive/happy people can usually see beyond just your looks if they take the time to talk with you. Ugly inside = ugly outside.
  • Make-up makes me feel attractive and feminine, which is important for me. I've met plenty of people with good personality but a complete disdain for their physical appearance, and to me it is a sign of either laziness or poor social skills. Maintainence of one's appearence is a part of cultural evolution.

Not that the media has idea what beauty is, just that proper hygeine and healthy diet are signs of a balanced lifestyle.
  • @Talisman Your situation is entirely different in my opinion, so, I digress on that topic, remember, I am on your side as far as that goes.

I was talking about natural appearance, maybe I should have been clearer on that. Yet even moreso I was talking about how one's inner self can make one's exterior seem more or less attractive by virtue of their personality.

Personal grooming is yet a whole other ball of wax. It can actually be pretty complex, especially if you have ever seen one of those makeover shows.
  • lol @hubris
    I certainly agree that my situation is a world of difference lol
  • Heres some tantra for you. Desire the desire for the end of desires. Using the energy of desire, redirect it towards the practice and path towards ending craving.

Tantra 101.
  • Its ok. Just watch and see if what you desire provides what you hope. Renunciation comes from clear seeing. Of the disadvantages of samsara. I think.
  • ArnArn
    edited November 2011
    So just remembering that the makeup example is just an example and not a commentary or judgement on anyone or anything. @hubris, if makeup doesnt make sense to you, chose something that you recognise that you ARE attached to - how about drink? Do you chose just water or do you drink tea/coffee/beer?

Suffering is caused by attachment and freedom from suffering comes from giving up attachment. If you are drinking tea instead of just water, why? Is it an attachment? Does it matter if you "indulge" this attachment or "preference" while you walk the path to enlightenment?

@taiyaki, so if I desire beer are you saying I redirect this desire towards the practice of ending my desire for beer? Surely thats simply a positive reinforcement of my desire for beer? Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of tantra, I just dont fully understand how it works, and perhaps its key to answering my dilemmas!

• Freedom comes from realization of emptiness. All attachment is relieved. Picking and choosing attachments to give up makes the problem worse. My opinion.
  • Arn you could say breathing is an attachment. You have to practice a long time before knowing what is 'attachment' and even then it is uncertain because the nature of reality is uncertainty.

What is needed is clarity on what is rewarding, kushala, versus what is not rewarding, tanha.
  • @Arn I guess I am attached to life, for as long as I have it. I reserve the right to detach myself from it at any time too. If the suffering becomes such that I have poor quality of life, then I will choose to leave. That's not going to happen anytime soon,however.

Oh, the answer to your question is "D", all of the above, and none of the above. It all depends on what mood I am in at any given moment. I am not attached to the idea of attachment right now.

:rolleyes:
  • This thread is intended as a technical discussion of what, under the general buddhist philosphy, is considered an acceptable desire/need/want.
    I've read all the way through this thread a couple of times. Somebody who is a lot more knowledgeable about all things Buddhist is going to have to explain to me WHO exactly would decide that this or that is "acceptable" to any given Buddhist practitioner.

Is there a big Buddhist executive committee someplace that I don't know about? I thought **I** was the one who got to decide what was right, or "acceptable" for me.

Have I missed some major point about Buddhism all this time? This entire discussion seems like a big waste of bandwidth, a lot of mental construct (to absolutely no point whatsoever), and a LOT of attachment to egos if you ask me.

Just my $.02...
  • where is DD when you need him?