Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists Against Reincarnation!!!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited November 2011 in Philosophy
The Buddha clearly asked his followers not to believe things simply because he said them or they are stated in religious texts but because you have experience of them being true (Kalama Sutta). It follows therefore that there should be no pressure on the Buddhist to believe in reincarnation – from others or from within themselves. Reincarnation is not one of the 4 noble truths and does not feature in the 8 fold path or Meditation.
This site is dedicated to encouraging open free debate and thought on the issue of reincarnation (a term used here to mean ‘Rebirth’at the point of death). We would like to make the following points derived from human experience.

1. Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil
It is true that some might gain significant reassurance from a belief in reincarnation and we should be sympathetic to this. People who need a belief will tend to defend it by ceasing to listen, switching attention, or being distracted by irritation and contempt. Hopefully they will not be harmed by this site. Perhaps they would choose not to read further.
2. Seeing is believing
To hold untrue beliefs has unpleasant side effects. Irrational beliefs are often in conflict with rational ones and this causes tension and suffering to the believer (Festinger Cognitive Dissonance Theory in psychology). ‘We learn things with great certainty through directly experiencing them via the senses.’- This human belief is in conflict with a belief in reincarnation (which few believers would claim to have any direct experience or evidence of). As there is no physical evidence for reincarnation there is little reason to believe in it.

3. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater
Human beings have a tendency to reject a group of associated ideas (as in the case of Buddhism) if they find just one of these ideas to be untrue. This means that intelligent people might reject Buddhism on the basis of their strong reasonable disbelief in reincarnation. This would be unfortunate.

http://www.buddhistsagainstreincarnation.com/

Comments

• Well I am glad they warned me of the dangers of cognitive dissonance for those who disagree with them. Oh yeah and there is also going to be a android werewolf attack so make sure that you have food in the pantry and a supply of drinking water.
  • Well of course, buddhism is all about finding the answers out for yourself. Re-birth at present is impossible to come to a conclusion on if it is something that occurs or not. But that does not mean to say we cannot believe in it, which goes back to one of my threads on blind faith in buddhism. I believe in re-birth, I do not go around teling people they are wrong if they do not share the same view or preeching it, but for me it is an important part of the religion. Note I said religion and not practice.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Its a bit like christians against jesus...
  • Its a bit like christians against jesus...
    More like Christians who argue that one can doubt Jesus physically rose from the dead like some zombie and still be Christian by following the teaching of Jesus while he was alive. And there are many Christians who do believe this way.
  • Here's how I understand it... Rebirth occurs after death by what people speak (or think) of you.

If you had a good life, and people loved you, they will speak of you with love and admiration after you die. Some people were so loving and compassionate, we will speak highly of them until the end of time.

If you were a nasty pain in the butt to everyone, that is how they will speak of you. Some people were so nasty, we will curse them until the end of time.

In that way, you are reborn after death every time someone speaks of you.

Not that we know it... :-/
  • I'm really not sure we can maintain that "seeing is believing" when seeing is so limited and so often deceiving.
  • C'mon people, we are mere humans. How can we comprehend such a phenomena? It is vastly beyond our understanding, we do not even fully understand what consciousness let alone what happens to it when we die. The only way to know is to die, so we shall all find out sooner or later :)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    It is true that some might gain significant reassurance from a belief in reincarnation and we should be sympathetic to this.
    Just because someone does believe in rebirth doesn't necessarily mean that they do so in order to reassure them about death. I find this statement to be condesending.

I don't remember anything from any previous life and neither do most people. Even those who do only remember some aspects from one life. So in effect death means annihilation of this person and all its knowledge and experience. The only thing that is generally said to carry over from life to life is the karma, not the individual identity.
  • The four noble truths purpose is to eliminate suffering. Therefore the eightfold path is to commit suicide in order to remove suffering since if there is no reincarnation after death is non-suffering.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    How I see it is: belief in reincarnation (rebirth) is simply means to an end.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Well, just because you or many people do not remember an after life or parts of one, does not mean it is not possible. Who is to say yes or no? Believe what you wish, it is up to you, stick with your science and what I can 'see' or 'understand', that is your intention and option. It is not wrong and neither is it correct. Wait, find out then. The universe holds many many secrets we cannot understand as we are highly unevolved, even though we think we are a superior species.
  • The four noble truths purpose is to eliminate suffering. Therefore the eightfold path is to commit suicide in order to remove suffering since if there is no reincarnation after death is non-suffering.
    I'll mix up the kool-aid! Lets get this show on the road!
  • What is kool aid, I have heard of it before but never seen or tasted it, it must be some american product!?
    edited November 2011
    What is kool aid, I have heard of it before but never seen or tasted it, it must be some american product!?
    LOL. Suger crystal things that you put in water to flavor it. There was a famous incident where a cult put poison in their type of kool aid and then fed it to their members.
  • I think maybe south park ripped off that idea od the cult in an episode, I am not sure. Anyway, never drank kool aid, doubt I will. Stik to Lao Khao :)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I think it's all a little rediculous. Now if there's someone pressuring someone to believe in rebirth or whatever and is being pushy and its annoying the other person, they should say stop, and then we're done with it. That's what the movement should be.
    about
    edited November 2011
    also i think faith in rebirth may be beneficial to someones dharma practice, and as someone said to me on NB recently "if it's viewed as beneficial by the wise go along with it." says Buddha

life and existance has a funny weirdness to it that I don't feel the need to be uptight about rebirth.

Someone people should maybe go outside and get some nature intake.
    *runs from NB in fear and watches from a distance
  • IMO life/consciousness is a continueum
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Its a bit like christians against jesus...
    More like Christians who argue that one can doubt Jesus physically rose from the dead like some zombie and still be Christian by following the teaching of Jesus while he was alive. And there are many Christians who do believe this way.
    Its alot different with rebith as how Buddha taught it all his teachings are inter linking so if you remove one element out of dislike you are creating obstacles for yourself.
  • Its a bit like christians against jesus...
    Its alot different with rebith as how Buddha taught it all his teachings are inter linking so if you remove one element out of dislike you are creating obstacles for yourself.
    Well, the traditional Christian would have the same objections to the liberal Christian taking the supernatural elements out of the mix, and be able to explain in detail how all of Jesus' teachings rest on his being the risen Messiah, etc. I've been on the receiving end of those lectures often enough.

I understand your objection, but disagree that Buddha taught rebirth in "all his teachings" and also that people remove this element out of dislike or consider reincarnation disbelief as an obstacle. For some of us, belief is not a choice. I don't begrudge your belief. In the same way, if someone wants to believe their loved ones are waiting in Heaven and draw comfort from it, I'm happy.
    @Cinorjer

:bowdown:
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Rebirth is not important to me because there is no evidence supporting rebirth. Also note it should be more important to be happy and compassionate in the life you are living now. You should not worry about your afterlife if there is one or not.
  • It makes sense to me. If I am alive now and inhabit a body at this moment, why is it so farfetched to think that I could inhabit another one? Afterall, quantum physics is showing us more and more that consciousness is everywhere at all times, so why wouldn't my consciousness (our concsciousness) be able to take form again as a different being after I die? In addition, true enlightenment is very rare for people and was more unattainable in previous centuries. Life seems less purposefull to think that people have died without decent chance at liberation. If everything in life evolves, why not the soul?
  • To quote Eckhart Tolle: "Ego comes about through a split in the human psyche in which identity separates into two parts that we could call "I" and "me" or "me and myself." Every ego is therefpre schizonphrenic , to use the word in its popular meaning of split personality. You live with a mental image of yourself, a conceptual self that you have a relationship with. Life itself become conceputalized and separated from who you are when you speak of "my life." The moment you say or think "my life" and believe in what you are saying (rather than it just being a linguistic convention), you have entered the realm of delusion. If there is such a thing as "my life," it follows that I and life are two separate things, and so I can also lose my life, my imaginary treasured possession. Death becomes a seeming reality and a threat. Words and concepts split life into separate segments that have no reality in themselves. We could even say that the notion "my life" is the original delusion of separateness, the source of ego. If I and life are two, if I am separate from life, then I am separate from all things, all beings, all people. But how could I be separate from life? What "I" could there be aparat from life, apart from Being? It is utterly impossible. So there is no such thing as "my life," and I don't have a life. I am life. I and life are one. How can I lose something that I don't have in the first place? How can I lose something that I Am. It is impossible.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    It makes sense to me. If I am alive now and inhabit a body at this moment, why is it so farfetched to think that I could inhabit another one? Afterall, quantum physics is showing us more and more that consciousness is everywhere at all times, so why wouldn't my consciousness (our concsciousness) be able to take form again as a different being after I die? In addition, true enlightenment is very rare for people and was more unattainable in previous centuries. Life seems less purposefull to think that people have died without decent chance at liberation. If everything in life evolves, why not the soul?
    No it doesn't. Don't put things in quantum physics where it does not belong. Protons does not equal a consciousness. Unless you have a scientific paper stating that.
  • Many scientists involved with physics state that conscious is acyually the fabric of the universe. Without consciousness, a partical appears in every place possible, when observed by a conscious being, it remains in one fixed place, tests have be done and done again many times.
  • @ThailanTom
    What? :eek2:
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited November 2011
    If you want an open free debate about rebirth, don't start off with saying it is not part of the 4 noble truth, 8 fold path or meditation, because that's your view and not shared by the majority of Buddhists. For me rebirth is an integral part of all those things.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Many scientists involved with physics state that conscious is acyually the fabric of the universe. Without consciousness, a partical appears in every place possible, when observed by a conscious being, it remains in one fixed place, tests have be done and done again many times.
    Give me sources. I study quantum physics for a bit. I have never heard of it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2011
    If you want an open free debate about rebirth, don't start off with saying it is not part of the 4 noble truth, 8 fold path or meditation....
    He didn't.
    he said Reincarnation is not part of the 4NT, the 8Fold path or Meditation - and he's right.

Furthermore, it's not LeonBasin, saying it. He's quoted a passage, with a link at the base.....

• If you want an open free debate about rebirth, don't start off with saying it is not part of the 4 noble truth, 8 fold path or meditation....
    He didn't.
    he said Reincarnation is not part of the 4NT, the 8Fold path or Meditation - and he's right.

But he also said "This site is dedicated to encouraging open free debate and thought on the issue of reincarnation (a term used here to mean ‘Rebirth’at the point of death)"

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Most Buddhist purists (I being one of the pedantic kind) know that there is an intrinsic difference between 'Reincarnation' and 'Rebirth'. So that's the first point I actually take issue with.

Reincarnation happens at the point of death, or in a bardo of an indeterminate period of time. (Tibetan/Mahayana Buddhism.)
    Rebirth, as a phenomenon, is a different matter entirely.....
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Many scientists involved with physics state that conscious is acyually the fabric of the universe. Without consciousness, a partical appears in every place possible, when observed by a conscious being, it remains in one fixed place, tests have be done and done again many times.
    I think he means that the presence of the observer determines the outcome. Am I right, @ThailandTom?

In other words, my baked potatoes are both baked and not baked, until I open the oven. We'll leave Schrodinger's cat in its box this time :D
  • It makes sense to me. If I am alive now and inhabit a body at this moment, why is it so farfetched to think that I could inhabit another one? Afterall, quantum physics is showing us more and more that consciousness is everywhere at all times, so why wouldn't my consciousness (our concsciousness) be able to take form again as a different being after I die? In addition, true enlightenment is very rare for people and was more unattainable in previous centuries. Life seems less purposefull to think that people have died without decent chance at liberation. If everything in life evolves, why not the soul?
    No it doesn't. Don't put things in quantum physics where it does not belong. Protons does not equal a consciousness. Unless you have a scientific paper stating that.
    Not once did I say that protons equal a consciousness. I'm pointing out a reconciliation between science and expirimental data with spirituality. Not saying that one is the other. Some like to keep the two separate but why? It sounds like you know very little about quantum physics and are misinterpreting what I'm saying. Granted, I know little myself, but from what I have learned, science and spirituality are becoming increasingly more compatible with one another, and that's worth noting.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Most Buddhist purists (I being one of the pedantic kind) know that there is an intrinsic difference between 'Reincarnation' and 'Rebirth'. So that's the first point I actually take issue with.

Reincarnation happens at the point of death, or in a bardo of an indeterminate period of time. (Tibetan/Mahayana Buddhism.)

That's mainly a debate about definitions. In this discussion both terms are defined to be the same thing -apparently-, which I think is fine because I personally don't think the difference is that important. But stating it is not part of the teachings is a bit of a fast statement.
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011

Yes, rebirth is in the here and now, etc ect. It's just splitting hairs.

Oops, @Sabre was quicker and said it better.
  • Many scientists involved with physics state that conscious is acyually the fabric of the universe. Without consciousness, a partical appears in every place possible, when observed by a conscious being, it remains in one fixed place, tests have be done and done again many times.
    Just for a brief crash course: http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/science/physics_quantum.htm
  • I don't use terms like reincarnation or rebirth because they have history behind them and can lead to all kinds of confusion.

I can only infer upon personal experience....obviously I don't know what happens after death specifically. But in my opinion emptiness, consciousness, spirit....whatever you call that non-thing....seems indeed to permeate everything that exists. So it would make sense emptiness is not lost after death. That doesn't mean one reincarnates or any of that stuff. It just means that just like my bodily matter doesn't disappear , my essence doesn't either....

The only strange propriety of consciousness that I still haven't figured out....is why it seems to have a specific vantage point ("my eyes, my ears...etc). If we are all waves part of the same ocean....why is it...that we seem only to experience things as a wave with a specific location (i.e. the vicinity of this body in time/space)?

If there is anything that can say "I AM"...and it's not personal...and is everywhere...why don't all the other waves realize they are the ocean when this wave does?

That's mainly a debate about definitions. In this discussion both terms are defined to be the same thing -apparently-, which I think is fine because I personally don't think the difference is that important.
    Actually, definitively - and pedantically - the difference in definition is extremely important. It certainly matters to those who follow Mahayana/Tibetan Buddhism.
    I have heard some, who get extremely worked up about it.

But I take your point about the intention within this argument.
    But stating it is not part of the teachings is a bit of a fast statement.
    In this, certainly, we are agreed.....

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Just for a brief crash course: http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/science/physics_quantum.htm
    About Alex Paterson:
    "Alex PATERSON is an Australian airline pilot by profession. He writes articles and advises on issues pertaining to aviation, politics, sociology, the environment, sustainable farming and forestry, history, computers, natural health therapies and spirituality."

What?
    :eek2:
  • ha... a renaissance man i guess.....

Note that mosst of the material presented are quotations from actual phsysicists.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @ThailandTom is talking about the electron slit experiment. Electrons 'know' whether we are looking at them. Fact is stranger than fiction.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

Not once did I say that protons equal a consciousness. I'm pointing out a reconciliation between science and expirimental data with spirituality. Not saying that one is the other. Some like to keep the two separate but why? It sounds like you know very little about quantum physics and are misinterpreting what I'm saying. Granted, I know little myself, but from what I have learned, science and spirituality are becoming increasingly more compatible with one another, and that's worth noting.
    Sorry, Science and Spirituality are suppose to be separate. Religion needs Science, but Science does not need religion. We keep it separate, so it doesn't cloud judgement of scientists. Also note a lot of sprital stuff is based on substitution. Science does not use superstition help it's claims.

The crazy and interesting world of quantum mechanics does make it looks like that it can be mixed together, but it can not. Why? We need to experiment.

I like the idea of string theory. It makes the world orderly and it fits perfectly well with general relativity. Yet, there is a problem. We can not experiment with String theory.

Also Lawrence Krauss & Richard Feynman will disagree without on spirituality.

• @B5C,
    Thats a good point that scientists need to base their findings upon experimentation. I think that buddhists we do that as well. Indeed our findings are based on our own experience both meditative and post-meditative. Buddha did not give a single teaching that did not have a practical relationship to alleviating suffering.

For a scientist their life is spiritual. A scienific text howevef is not spiritual. But a scientists own experience is spiritual due to their MIND. Mind is something not very well understood by science. But you cannot separate a scientist from their mind. In buddhism there are 5 senses and the 6th is mind. The first 5 are the form skanda and the form skanda is a part of sentient beings. So if you look outside at a mountain that is part of your form skanda. The other four skandas have to do with mind: feeling, perception, formations/volition, consciousness. It is these four that constitute 'spirituality' in buddism.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @ThailandTom is talking about the electron slit experiment. Electrons 'know' whether we are looking at them. Fact is stranger than fiction.
    The Electrons did not "know" whether they are being looked at. It is due to the electrons interacting with the measuring device. No matter how small we make the device. The electrons will always interact with the device and cause the electrons stop acting like a wave.

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/21st_century_science/lectures/lec13.html

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/27106
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2011
    ummm thats why I said ''''know''''

By the way how do you know whether the device is interacting or the consciousness? :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    ummm thats why I said ''''know''''

By the way how do you know whether the device is interacting or the consciousness? :)
    It's the device. The observer is a MACHINE. It has no consciousness, so stop putting "the gaps" fallacy in science.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2011
    The observer is the scientist as well. The scientist observes the device. This corresponds to the scrodinger cat problem where it is believed that an observer collapses the wave function. This is mainstream physics and not a fallacy. Niels Bohr Copenhagen interpretation is not the only mainstream way of looking at quantum physics. You seem to be stuck on Niels Bohr interpretation and unwilling to acknowledge the diversity in science. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schrödinger's_cat
This discussion has been closed.