Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhists Against Reincarnation!!!

Comments

• B5CB5C Veteran
    edited November 2011
    The problem with Schrödinger's cat that it's a thought experiment. Not a experiment that can be repeated by others. Yet, you got prove to me that consciousness is what causing the effect of the electron in the double slit experiment.

I do support the diversity of science, but for me that quantum mechanics proves Buddhism & rebirth is illogical.

No one should ever claim this proves that unless there is ACTUAL EVIDENCE!
  • Fair enough...

"Shun asked Ch'eng, "Is it possible to gain possession of the Way?�

"You don't even have possession of your own body! How could you possibly gain possession of the Way?"

"If I don't have possession of my own body, then who does?" said Shun.

"It is a form lent you by Heaven and earth. You do not have possession of life ‑ it is a harmony lent by Heaven and earth. You do not have possession of your inborn nature and fate - they are contingencies lent by Heaven and earth. All is the work of the Powerful Yang in the world. How then could it be possible to gain possession of anything?""

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Scientists are often blind to the assumptions that underpin their research, as with materialism and its derivatives, which is taken entirely on faith. Going back to reincarnation, there is evidence suggestive of reincarnation, which so far, as far as I'm aware, hasn't been either proved or disproved.

I find it helpful to distinguish between scientism and science. Scientism often masquerades as science:

Scientism refers to a belief in the universal applicability of the systematic methods and approach of science, especially the view that empirical science constitutes the most authoritative worldview or most valuable part of human learning to the exclusion of other viewpoints.
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Thankyou Lufool, you saved me a fair bit of time :)

''The recent findings of Quantum Physics (especially Dr Bohm's work) about the universe being made up of an "interconnected unbroken wholeness", examples of Non-Locality phenomena (Bells Theorem) and the 'Observer Effect' implying that consciousness underlies all reality, has striking parallels with the ancient Esoteric concept that all reality is the manifestation of an infinite Singularity (creative principle) which I personally choose to call Source, and most others call God. However, none of this is surprising to those who have experienced the 'Oneness' associated with some sort of deep spiritual experience or holotropic state. 7''

In my original post I may have worded it in an indecent manner, but yes basically according to quantum physics the observor sets matter into a fixed place by merely observing it. Without an observer, it can be in two places at once or in every infinite place at once, and every number of places in between.

Relating all of this to the original topic, we do not understand exactly what consciousness is or what happens to it when we die. Believe what you will about rebirth, that is up to you such as your entire life, or lives hehe.

• @B5C, Some of what you wrote is unclear due to erroneous syntax, but I never claimed that quantum physics has proven God, Reincarnation, or Rebirth. Indeed, spirituality is something that one may only experience in themselves and through themselves, without the need for empirical evidence. What I am saying is that quantum physics has provided an intellectual understanding of what mystics and spiritual followers have known for thousands of years. IE: Non-locality, the illusory nature of space and time, the observer effect etc. I said that these principles, for me, provide a plausible ground for the belief in reincarnation. I never claimed that it proves it. You also said that religion and science need to be separate, and I agree with that. However, religion and spirituality are two separate things. Religion may indeed cloud a scientists judgement, but the application of science through a spiritual focus will only produce more clarity. This is because spirituality is the practice of clarity of mind, focus, and presence. In this sense, science and spirituality go hand in hand.
  • I agree with the vast majority of this comment ^.
  • to me reincarnation is a foundation of buddhism , it is explaining a lot of concepts..i mean in tibetan buddhism that i know more. if you read the tibetan book of death,you will see that there is a part in our heart that is immortal and is sliding from life to life, it is purified from the ego, but it is still us as a spiritual person..the tibetan book of dead is a book that has been given to human by a spiritual source they call primordial buddha..me i believe in reincarnation because deep inside myself i KNOW with all my intuition that this is going on.. some buddhist teachings explain step after step how we are dying and where the spiritual person goes when it leaves the body..if reincarnation does not exist how to explain so much differences in people life conditions on eath?cause we know we are reincarnating with our karma as a potential and we are choosing ourselves the new life regarding to the experience we need ..there are higher people than me that i am trusting as psychics and masters that say reincarnation is a law of nature, and i really know i can believe their teachings too..beside certain dead people i felt a few times something was still there from them ,i really know some of the things from the tibetan book of dead are true..
  • i am coming back to say that they already made some experiments with children remenbering certain things of their past lifes , at least two cases i heard about in ireland and india, and what the children used to tell was verified, they were describing their past lifes..
  • I also view rebirth as fundamnetal in buddhism as say the 4 noble truths or the 8 fold path. IMO if you take it away, you also take away or tarnish other aspects of the buddha's teachings. Then again, this is just my opinion, people will say that we should not take anybodies word for truth, even the buddha's etc etc, and that is their opinion, granted. There seems to be a trend in lay-western buddhists where many of them kind of 'pick-and-mix' with the religion, discarding what they do not think to be true or useful, and again that is their choice and their path.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    You all should read this interview:
    http://www.tricycle.com/feature/reincarnation-debate
    Reincarnation: A Debate
    Batchelor v. Thurman

Stephen Batchelor in Insight Journal: You don't have to believe in rebirth to be a Buddhist
    http://www.tricycle.com/p/1952
  • It is wonderful how this subject dies and is constantly reborn.
  • Love the comment Simon haha
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited November 2011
    So much for "there is nothing that can be reborn". :P
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2011
    From a purely scientific view, to deny rebirth is illogical and unreasonable!

Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or "appeal to ignorance" (where "ignorance" stands for: "lack of evidence to the contrary"), is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false, or that a proposition is false because it has not been proven true".

From a purely scientific view, the logical and reasonable response is "Maybe".
  • From a purely scientific view, to deny rebirth is illogical and unreasonable!

Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or "appeal to ignorance" (where "ignorance" stands for: "lack of evidence to the contrary"), is a fallacy in informal logic. It asserts that a proposition is true because it has not yet been proven false, or that a proposition is false because it has not been proven true".

By the same token, agnosticism is the only logical position vis-a-vis 'God'.
  • Quote:
    For instance, Charles Taylor contends that the real is whatever will not go away. If we cannot reduce talk about God to anything else, or replace it, or prove it false, then perhaps God is as real as anything else.[
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_of_god

God and rebirth certainly are “real” in this sense: that they are non-falsifiable ideas and there’s no way to put an end to the discussion about them.
    God and rebirth will never go away.

:(
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Coming to this late, but as I understand it the point of Buddhist practice is to discover our true nature which is awareness without boundary. That means without boundary in space and time. If that is accepted then our period of life in this body cannot be the limit of our existence, as awareness (or consciousness) is eternal. In other words we cannot die. Our bodies perish but our awareness continues.

I too take issue with the term reincarnation which suggests a resurrection of a single personality. I don't believe that is what rebirth is. Our personality is a construct of our conditioning which disperses at death. It is the mask we hide behind in the world but it is not our true nature. Only our Buddha nature can make the decision to come back to live again, not for the purpose of ego-grasping but to work out our karma and practise towards enlightenment.
  • B5CB5C Veteran

If rebirth is real in your sense of "Science" then my god the Flying Spaghetti Monster is true! RAmen!
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I can utterly practice Buddhism without belief in superstition.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    Looks like we got tons of Bachelor Buddhists here. Aka Buddhist Atheism or Agnostic Buddhism.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Here here!!
    Well isn't so? Where in the 4NT's , the N8 or in the 3 marks is the question of literal rebirth relevant? Even the idea of Kamma stands up just fine without the idea of literal rebirth. I punch a cop, I go to jail-Kamma in action.My problem with rebith is that is unknowable, untestable and is an utterly subjective faith based idea.
    All the best,
    Todd
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    My problem with rebith is that is unknowable, untestable and is an utterly subjective faith based idea.
    It is untestable scientifically, though I don't think its logically unreasonable and according to texts, buddhists masters and many others with personal experience it is subjectivly knowable.

Though most of buddhism can be practiced quite effectivly without this idea.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2011

If rebirth is real in your sense of "Science" then my god the Flying Spaghetti Monster is true! RAmen!

Not exactly because I never said rebirth is real! Do not mistake non-denial for affirmation, they are VERY FAR from the same thing. :) I asserted neither true OR false! However, what I believe is different than what I assert. Assertions, either way, require evidence and absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. It seems that a large number of "science minded" people can't understand this simple concept...And by not understanding it, they are being very unscientific.

• You can do whatever you like Mr yellowswing, nobody is is there holding you down with rope and chains, well I hope so anyway-unless you are into that kind of thing :screwy: You can practice buddhism and not even believe that the buddha himself spoke any sense, you can practice buddhism and be a full blown christian. We all have different views and you obviously will not accept rebirth as it is not able to be proven or superstition. That's cool, good luck to you and your path :)
  • The Buddha 'attained' parinirvana at death (no falling back into samsara, or something to that effect). If there's no rebirth (in samsara), then what is the significance of the Buddha's parinirvana?
  • That is a very good point.
  • The Buddha 'attained' parinirvana at death (no falling back into samsara, or something to that effect). If there's no rebirth (in samsara), then what is the significance of the Buddha's parinirvana?
    Student: "Master, where do we go when we die?"
    Master Seung Sahn: "To the cemetary!"

IF you believe in the wheel of reincarnation and an eternal self, THEN you believe that the Buddha achieved parinirvana or final escape from reincarnation and his self entered Nirvana at death, a state of eternal bliss. I suppose the significance of not believing in reincarnation is, I believe everyone, everywhere, no matter what religion, ends up in the same place when we die. We end up dead. My personal belief is anything said beyond that is guesswork.

The sutras, like all ancient religious writings, are a record of competing philosophies and traditions, each tradition arguing against the other monks and trying to make the case for their own team's definition of correct practice. The struggle between no-self and self based theologies has been going on since before Buddha, to read the questions put to him. Considering the contradictory answers he was supposed to have given in the various sutras, I doubt anything said here is going to settle the issue.

So Buddhism for me is all about the here-and-now, not past and future life karma. Surprisingly, it doesn't make a bit of difference in the actual practice, far as I can tell.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Rebirth:

• theotherlaratheotherlara Explorer
    edited November 2011
    @MindGate

Many laughs you continue to give me tonight, lol. Lovely contribution! :)

• My question, if there is no continuation of life after death, if a person never evolves spiritually beyond their short life time and ceases to exist after death, why live? I know this is a pretty silly question and I might get flack for it, but if a buddhist's main goal is to cease his suffering, why not just kill himself? that would be the ultimate end of attachment, desire, and suffering, wouldn't it?
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited November 2011
    @lufool
    At least now you're asking the right question.
  • so what do you think
  • Wanting to kill myself would be craving for something (the end of it all).
    It would not be liberation. imho
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2011
    My question, (...) if a buddhist's main goal is to cease his suffering, why not just kill himself? that would be the ultimate end of attachment, desire, and suffering, wouldn't it?
    No.

in killing myself, the consequences for me personally, would be unknowable.
    The consequences for those around me, who depend on me, and who have deep feelings for me, would be unbearable.
    My death - at my own hands - would leave shock, bewilderment, sadness, suffering and deep distress.

Why would I willingly do such a thing, and leave such tragedy in my wake?
    Killing myself would not be the ultimate end of attachment, desire and suffering.
    It would engender and perpetuate it.

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited November 2011
    The only reason I can personally see a plausable reason for killing yourself is if you have a terminal illness. Why stick out the pain that would cause so much suffering to you, and those who see you suffering. I would just go and jump off of a building after explaining my actions.
  • How about setting out to destroy the whole world? Then there would be no one to suffer or consider it a tragedy. Could one justify that as the ultimate liberation?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2011
    @ThailandTom, That still wouldn't ease their pain at your loss. They might understand - but they'd still have deep and suffering feelings over it.
    And they would still wonder if there wasn't some way they could have been more supportive of you, and helped you more.
    Guilt is a part of this kind of grief.
    I've seen it, and it's desperately sad.
    Even with the explanation of their actions, people still leave a yawning, gaping hole in the lives of others.
  • The only reason I can personally see a plausable reason for killing yourself is if you have a terminal illness. Why stick out the pain that would cause so much suffering to you, and those who see you suffering. I would just go and jump off of a building after explaining my actions.
    From a perspective of reincarnation, I think one might might argue that since you would be averting your present circumstances, you would still remain in bondage and attachment and become reincarnated once more, further yet from nirvana.

How about setting out to destroy the whole world? Then there would be no one to suffer or consider it a tragedy. Could one justify that as the ultimate liberation?
    First, get everyone to agree with your view. Then set about thinking how best to destroy the world, without inflicting any subsequent suffering on anyone.

See, in order to do that, you'd have to have everyone's consent. Otherwise, you'd still be making people suffer.

• what if there was some way to end the world instantaneously without anyone being aware of it happening?

I know these questions are fruitless and kinda dumb but I can't help from inquiring
    Try.
    Such research is ultimately fruitless.
    Why cultivate something that has no fruit, or bearing?
  • Try what? making such a device?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Get a whole bunch of gasoline and then get Zues to dump it on the world and then light it on fire with a lightning-bolt.
  • @lufool,

Your question arises for many people as they reflect on their spiritual path. Much the same question can be asked of Christians or Muslims, although Jewish philosophy almost entirely avoids it.

From the Buddhist point of view, the answer is to be found in the First Turning of the Wheel, in the Deer Park Sermon. It is answered by the Third and Fourth Noble Truth. They are about ending dukkha in our current life, whether there is another or not, which is why it is possible to have this debate at all.

It is the reason why the Shakyamuni Buddha decided, after long reflection, to teach what he had learned: despite all appearances, it is possible to find the way out of dukkha and it is the Noble Eightfold Way.

Here and now, dear heart, otherwise you would be right that death would be the Way. It isn't.
  • We don't wipe life off the face of the world or kill ourselves because one would be murder and the other would be suicide, and both are wrong.

Yes, the question is often thrown at atheists in particular. It's from the set of questions that ask what keeps atheists from going out and killing and raping people. It assumes a life without some sort of eternal afterlife and divine judgement is worthless and without moral grounding and that the only thing keeping us from being mass murderers is fear of punishment after death.

Whether or not you believe there is a Heaven and Hell or reincarnation up and down the karmic ladder makes not the slightest bit of difference in who you are and your actions. All you have to do is look around with a clear mind. Since when has religion been able to stop people from suicide or murder? All it does is give some people justification for what they are going to do no matter what their beliefs.

You don't hug your children, kiss your wife and head off to earn a living in the morning because you need good karma points for some imagined next life. Life is a precious moment and all we have.
    Try what? making such a device?
    No.try to help yourself from enquiring.

What exactly is the point, then, if you KNOW the questions are fruitless?

• Good OP.
    The problem with Schrödinger's cat that it's a thought experiment. Not a experiment that can be repeated by others. Yet, you got prove to me that consciousness is what causing the effect of the electron in the double slit experiment.

I do support the diversity of science, but for me that quantum mechanics proves Buddhism & rebirth is illogical.

No one should ever claim this proves that unless there is ACTUAL EVIDENCE!
    Suicide? World Destruction? Hmmm???

Namaste

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Damn just ran out of popcorn...

Be right back.
    You can do whatever you like Mr yellowswing, nobody is is there holding you down with rope and chains, well I hope so anyway-unless you are into that kind of thing :screwy:
    Seriously?????

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The only way to know is to practice Buddha's teachings and deep concentration many accomplished masters skilled in the Siddhis have gained the Clairvoyence of mind knowing past and future lives as Buddha had taught and demonstrated. Its not something you can prove objectively as it is a hidden object but eventually through deeply practicing Buddha's teachings we can find out that every thing he taught is true.

This discussion has been closed.