Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pot

13»

Comments

• I have smoked pot on occasion and I do find that it affects my mind. Would you take a final exam high? If the answer is yes than I suppose it is meant to be for you. :nyah:
    I did that once & I aced it.

But honestly, Pot, weed, marijuana, is an intoxicant, it's used to "get high" and when people are "high" they do & say things they normally wouldn't. I decided to stop smoking (pot & cigarettes) when I started studying Buddhism, because regardless of what others may say I know the effects (of pot) it has on me are not natural & I'm not comfortable with it. Do with that, what you will. Good luck. :)
  • enkoenko Explorer
    Bob Marley died of cancer. You must be thinking of Jim Morrison or someone.
    Wait, did he die of lung cancer? Sorry I just woke up and confused him with Jimmy Hendrix for some reason. Anyway if Bob did die from lung cancer, isn't that a reason to not smoke weed?....
    As @zero said Bob died of an agressive skin cancer on his foot

It was a tragic irony due to his mixed racial background that he was ostracisized for growing up and his own internal struggle

• Before I start, I really don't mean to offened anyone. I'm gonna be honest with you guys. I've smoked a lot of pot. I know, I know, it's not a great thing to admit but here are my Buddhist views on the subject.

Firstly and I'm aware this is very controversial but I do mean it in the least Disrespectful way possible but Buddha probably had smoked Marijuana or something similar, a good chance he was high pretty often. I only say this because of the time, the location and the fact that he was a prince. He was probably really spoiled and there's a good chance that he had lots of drugs, alcohol even prostitutes. Like I say I don't mean that in a disrespectful way it's just there's a good chance that that's the way he lived before he went out to explore the world and was enlightened by the harsh realities outside his palace chambers. I'm allowed my opinion you don't have to agree if you don't want but honestly that's what I think and since there is no proof of what exactly happened... you know.

I'm not saying that this makes smoking weed okay but it could be something to think about.

Second, I'd never smoke weed just to get high, or if I was on my own. For me it's a social thing. I haven't smoked in a few months and even then it was half a spliff I shared with my friend and it was the first time I'd smoked in about a year, so I'm definitely taking it in moderation. Marijuana isn't actually addictive but if You smoke enough you can become dependant on it. You have to smoke all day everyday though and I'd never do that and would discourage others from living that way because it's when you smoke weed all the time that it becomes a health risk. Once in a while it's not really that bad for you.

Thirdly, It is about a billion times easier for me to meditate after a bit of weed. I don't know if that's just me, I'm guessing not. It stops me getting distracted so easily. It stills my mind and mellows me out. It's nice to relax, especially if I've been worried or stressed about something but I'd never use it to escape my problems. They say it's mood amplifier but if you set yourself up to be mellow before you smoke, in a safe, relaxing environment it's okay. Or not, depends how you feel about the whole subject.

So there it is. those are my thoughts and others are welcome x

• Hello! :3 as someone who smokes regularly (marijuana only). I find that it does not give me lack of perception, rather I become more focused and in touch with my surroundings & I feel more at peace with earth & nature. I smoke for a few reasons, one being I suffer from arthritis which at my age really sucks!! but this is something that runs deep in both sides of my family. Along with many other unfortunates. The other reason being that I well..just want to chill out & become one with nature. I feel it brings me closer to the world in many ways. Things that may seem a bit bland become more beautiful & interesting from a spiders web to the way a leaf quivers,unwinding itself from the branch of a tree an tumbling in circles all the way down. Now from my view marijuana is simply a herb that I feel was put on this earth to be used for only good intentions. I think it has plenty of uses, the one most common is to be (smoked/inhaled) & I feel there is nothing wrong with that. I've known accountants & even doctors that smoke marijuana. Many people you would never suspect or guess,just because they don't keep it out in the open does not mean they don't do it. However, this herb or (drug),as some people may call it. Is not for everyone,an that is okay to!. Just because someone dyes there hair blue are you going to? Probably not. I mean I will eventually but not because someone is doing it,simply because I like the color blue lol. I believe despite it being considered a hinder to some,it is mostly because most are unaware or misinformed of its many benefits such as killing cancerous cells, having been shown to also lower blood levels & dissolve plaque in coronary arteries,it also premotes neuron growth & much more. Still that being the case, some will still feel that it unnecessary. Ultimately, it depends on the person & the practicer. We are not all ment to be the same,live our lives the same,do the same as one and another. We live life the best way that we can, in all different kind of ways. We may share similar beliefs but we are all different people. Who think,feel,speak,live differently. And that is ok because that is part of what makes the world go round. :]
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I have heard it is restricted because it causes heedlessness and cloud the mind which would prevent mindfullness and may cause you to brake the other precepts