Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discovered Yoga

Telly03Telly03 Veteran
edited December 2011 in Diet & Habits
I've been telling myself for awhile that I needed to check out Yoga... I've been having problems with my lower back tightening, causing spasms. My back and general tightness also caused something in my knee to give out, and it is slow to heal... I'm realizing that for me to stay healthy, I need to loosen up and get some flexibility.

I went to a class tonight and I must say that I am very impressed... the stretches seemed to be targeting my lower back, and it felt wonderful... I can honestly say that I already feel better than I have in months.

The best part for me though was the last 10 minutes or so, which pleasantly caught me by surprise... the instructor had us lay on our backs with our legs up against the wall, and a 2 inch cushioned block under our arse. She then turned off the lights and told us to let go of everything, to focus on our breathing, and to release any thoughts that come in, and stay focused on our breathing... I just smiled and thought "oh how familiar" :) I instantly went into a great meditation... I was so at peace, easily focusing only on the breathing.

I chuckled to myself afterwards on how I got a unexpected meditation in, and it was really good, especially considering that it was only 10 min or so, and in a non traditional position.

Anyways, if you have been thinking about trying Yoga, I would recommend giving it a go... it may surprise you.

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I practice Kriya Yoga and I love it! It has been very helpful in my meditation practice.
  • yoga is great :)
  • Good for you Telly :)

if you approach your whole yoga session as a meditation, you will get much benefits not only physically but spiritually.

I approach yoga the same as i approach vipassana.
    Simply looking at the sensations with equanimity.
    This is easier done with slower poses where i have more time to look at the painful sensations, and practice not reacting to them, just looking and investigating them etc...

It also helps a little with my concentration.

Since you liked your first experience, you probably have motivation naturally to do more. This is a great opportunity to form a new habit since you don't have to push yourself too much to do it.
    I think that once it's a firm life habit, it will be easy to just keep doing it :)
  • So happy for you! Yoga as moving meditation has been extremely helpful along my own path.
  • Good for you Telly :)

if you approach your whole yoga session as a meditation, you will get much benefits not only physically but spiritually.

I approach yoga the same as i approach vipassana.
    Simply looking at the sensations with equanimity.
    This is easier done with slower poses where i have more time to look at the painful sensations, and practice not reacting to them, just looking and investigating them etc...

It also helps a little with my concentration.

Since you liked your first experience, you probably have motivation naturally to do more. This is a great opportunity to form a new habit since you don't have to push yourself too much to do it.
    I think that once it's a firm life habit, it will be easy to just keep doing it :)
    Thanks for the tips on the approach... and absolutely I'm motivated to do more. I can't wait till the next class tomorrow :)
  • Get that prana flowing :)
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Ahh Prana... another word I had to look up :) I learn much here, thanks
  • Ahh Prana... another word I had to look up :) I learn much here, thanks
    yoga asana (the stretching exercises) was designed to move the prana in specific ways. asana is effective at healing the body and calming the mind because of what it does with prana.
  • I've been telling myself for awhile that I needed to check out Yoga... I've been having problems with my lower back tightening, causing spasms. My back and general tightness also caused something in my knee to give out, and it is slow to heal... I'm realizing that for me to stay healthy, I need to loosen up and get some flexibility.

I went to a class tonight and I must say that I am very impressed... the stretches seemed to be targeting my lower back, and it felt wonderful... I can honestly say that I already feel better than I have in months.

The best part for me though was the last 10 minutes or so, which pleasantly caught me by surprise... the instructor had us lay on our backs with our legs up against the wall, and a 2 inch cushioned block under our arse. She then turned off the lights and told us to let go of everything, to focus on our breathing, and to release any thoughts that come in, and stay focused on our breathing... I just smiled and thought "oh how familiar" :) I instantly went into a great meditation... I was so at peace, easily focusing only on the breathing.

I chuckled to myself afterwards on how I got a unexpected meditation in, and it was really good, especially considering that it was only 10 min or so, and in a non traditional position.

Anyways, if you have been thinking about trying Yoga, I would recommend giving it a go... it may surprise you.
    That made me feel relaxed just hearing about it!

• My GF is enjoying Bikram Yoga. She loves it. For her it helps reduce stress, and she feels really good afterwards. It is also a very good exercise for weight loss. One can burn up to 1300 calories in a 90 minutes session, compared to jogging 6 miles for roughly 60 minutes at 700 calories (FYI).

I have tried some yoga poses and stretches at home and it had helped my sciatica. But now I prefer doing crunches and other exercises.
  • It seems yoga is typically a female thing? I was the only guy in the class... they didn't seem to mind and I don't worry about labels, so it's all good. I'm going back tonight :)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Has anyone practiced Kriya Yoga? Or studied it?
  • It seems yoga is typically a female thing? I was the only guy in the class... they didn't seem to mind and I don't worry about labels, so it's all good. I'm going back tonight :)
    That's cool. Glad you found an exercise you like. As long as you stay active, it's all good.

I know yoga would be good for me, but personally I just enjoy lifting weights, swimming, and jogging more.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Sometimes I go to a group yoga session and we do a sort of mindfulness yoga, when the mind wanders bringing it back to the "Ujiya" breathing - a sound you can make via breathing and the throat. It can bring me right out of being fatigued for a long time. Watch out for it
  • Hey thanks for that update @Telly03 - might even encourage me to start too ;) *laughs*

Merci!
  • Dudes doing yoga is super hot. I've only been in one class that men showed up to, and that was at a yoga ashram so it doesn't really count. More dudes should go to yoga classes!
  • Telly03Telly03 Veteran
    edited December 2011
    Dudes doing yoga is super hot. I've only been in one class that men showed up to, and that was at a yoga ashram so it doesn't really count. More dudes should go to yoga classes!
    Well there you go @floating_abu , let me know how the first class goes :lol:

• edited December 2011
    Yoga's fantastic. My old martial arts instructor recommended we do some Yoga. I bought a yoga DVD a few years ago and started doing it on a night. After a while I started going to classes on a Sunday.

I don't believe in chackras or whatever they are talking about, but ashtanga yoga is a really good conditioning workout. Joints, flexibility, unique callisthenics, muscle toning and relaxation. It's almost perfect.

The only thing that stops it from being perfect is how I'm the only guy in the class and in cooperative poses, women kinda struggle with me. If it involves body weight, then they can't do things with me. Also, some of the poses are kinda... suggestive and awkward when a strange man and woman do them.

I've been to a place where it feels kinda uncomfortable because being the only guy there who isn't gay, they have told me that there have been a few guys there in the past who've been there just to perve which I'm not there for. But it's hard to prove that.
  • Hmm we haven't done any cooperate poses yet, I can see how that could be awkward... My wife did tell me that when she returns from her deployment that she will attend with me... I'm looking forward to that.
  • edited December 2011
    Depends on what kind of Yoga.

If you do the same one as me, then the cooperative poses are just to get you started, the goal is to not need the partner after a while. Just a little FYI.

Your wife is in the military?

Damn, everybody gets in but me. :(
  • @sagat yes, she's in the Navy... It's sometimes tough having to adjust my career to fit in with her assignments, and the deployments are not easy, but we just have a couple years till she retires and we can put roots down somewhere.

Your waiting to go in right?
  • @sagat yes, she's in the Navy... It's sometimes tough having to adjust my career to fit in with her assignments, and the deployments are not easy, but we just have a couple years till she retires and we can put roots down somewhere.

Sounds exciting, if you're into that kind of lifestyle.

I'm not sure if I'd ever want to put roots down. If I ever joined then I'd probably end up with somebody who's also in the military.

I want to join. I've been held back by things for many years.
  • Dudes doing yoga is super hot. I've only been in one class that men showed up to, and that was at a yoga ashram so it doesn't really count. More dudes should go to yoga classes!
    Well there you go @floating_abu , let me know how the first class goes :lol:

@Telly03 :D
  • I recently started doing Yoga (about 2 weeks, recent) and while it's doing nice things for my back It's doing some not so nice things for my knees. I'm hoping I can eventually make it work FOR my knees and not against them. :) Are you still going to classes? How is it going, since you posted this?
  • @LittleMighty I'm still going, although the holiday schedule only allows one class per week vs the two that I had started with.

Limit your knee work if your hurting... it is something you need to ease into. It would probably be a good idea to let the instructor know that your knees are having difficulties... I bet he/she could show you some knee friendly variants to most of the stretches.
  • @LittleMighty Thought you would enjoy this article http://www.yogajournal.com/health/1161
  • I did enjoy that article, thank you. I'm going to look into some variations so maybe I can at least alternate days with my Yoga. Thanks!